Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is a stereotype but it's not as bad as the Orc Jew merchant from Shadow of War. That was just appalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is a stereotype but it's not as bad as the Orc Jew merchant from Shadow of War. That was just appalling.

:yikes:

I'm sorry, what?!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why was the box-selling Orc a Jew?

And don't say because he rubbed his hands or some poo poo, that's circular logic.

edit: I looked up the box Orc's picture cause I couldn't remember. I don't see anything about him that implies he's a Jew or is supposed to represent one.

I want you to back your claim up, mister!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 12, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Chomp8645 posted:

Serious question are Jews not considered white?

I feel like most people view them as white.

in modern times, they're definitely othered, just not in the same way most othering happens. think of how like...white nationalists definitely dont think of jewish people as friends, and instead think of them as a powerful puppetmaster enemy, which is also very different to how they see black people. but that really gets into kind of the intersectionality of discrimination which is a whole thing

and honestly even the ashkenazi diaspora hadn't really happened yet in some of the earliest starts, so in any case jewish people in ck2 would probably look like modern palestinians, if not darker

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel like most people view them as white. Seems like you can be both imo.

Whiteness wasn't really a concept in medieval times, but then Jewish people were seen by Europeans as fundamentally other and exploitable or destroyable. You can be religiously Jewish and/or ethnically part of the Jewish diaspora, the latter of which has not really been seen as white and definitely not by white supremacists. edit: I mean poo poo, Benjamin Franklin talked about Germans as being "swarthy". Whether or not a group of people are considered white, and just how white, depends on who you're asking and when you're asking them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 12, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chomp8645 posted:

I honestly think it depends on whose being asked. As a born southern-Baptist "white dude" from the south eastern United States, the thought that Jewish people might not be white has never occurred to me. Myself, and most people I know, simply perceive it as a different religion, not a different ethnicity.

But in other parts of the world, this is very much not the mindset.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

NW matches are apparently full every game. If this is what leads the game to success...

Though I have heard it's not trash and they have actually put some thought into the UI and user experience, unlike the core game.

(I ain't touchin it on principle)

Just wait until next week.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powershift posted:

Have they tried making the game good?
Todd won’t allow that

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Tenzarin posted:

Just wait until next week.

Supposedly this is a sneak peak and they are going to remove it? I can't see why they'd do that though, seems like a terrible idea.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chomp8645 posted:

And don't say because he rubbed his hands or some poo poo, that's circular logic.

edit: I looked up the box Orc's picture cause I couldn't remember. I don't see anything about him that implies he's a Jew or is supposed to represent one.

They redesigned him around release because there was a big backlash.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's a picture of an Orc.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

I honestly think it depends on whose being asked. As a born southern-Baptist "white dude" from the south eastern United States, the thought that Jewish people might not be white has never occurred to me. Myself, and most people I know, simply perceive it as a different religion, not a different ethnicity.

But in other parts of the world, this is very much not the mindset.

I have known people who grew up in the Deep South/Southern Baptist tradition who were told as children that Jewish people had horns.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

El_Elegante posted:

I have known people who grew up in the Deep South/Southern Baptist tradition who were told as children that Jewish people had horns.

yeah, but white horns?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

El_Elegante posted:

I’m sure that’s true too, I’m only speaking to my immediate circle of influence. My main point was I didn’t think there was a consensus on whether Jewish people are white, rather that it depended on where you’re from.

My grandmother believed in the Bible very literally and that anyone who more or less didn’t think or look like her was a heathen and likely to burn in Hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chomp8645 posted:

And this is a picture of a goblin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arcsquad12 posted:

And this is a picture of a goblin.

What's that from?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rinkles posted:

What's that from?

harry potter

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

*While stroking my neon blue beard woke-ishly*

Shaking my head at the internalized antisemitism of this Jew. So tragic.

Chomp8645 posted:

On top of all that... he's leaning over... A COUNTER. He's a merchant!!!!

Now the only question that remains is whether he's a money lender, a jeweler, or circumcision repairman.

Man I usually think your posts are pretty funny but maybe chill out for a second

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

What's that from?

Harry Potter movie. Their depiction of goblin bankers is... well it's something.

The Goblin bank has a big star of david on the floor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zelder posted:

I usually think your posts are pretty funny

:eyepop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You're either ignorant of caricatures or you're being willfully disingenuous to not see how both of the pictures I posted are cribbing from racist Jewish stereotypes. (Please proceed to "well actually" me about how Jews are not a race)

The orc merchant is a big-nosed, bearded "ruined and terrible form of life" subhuman degenerate that greedily rubs his hands together as he sells you randomized lootboxes to wring whale customers out of their money. It could only be more blatant if he wore a yarmulke and said "oi vey" and I'm honestly shocked that the publishers and art designers thought they could get away with something so offensive unless they were ignorant or willfully disingenuous. I'm leading towards the latter because of the real world money trading hands with lootboxes and the fact that the games industry only reacts to backlash after it happens. The main thrust with AAA development is to push as far as you can with consumer hostile practices and only walk back the features that get lambasted in public. The fact that they made the greedy Jew Orc the lootbox merchant just feels like they were throwing in some extra contempt for their consumers

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The picture of the Harry Potter goblin definitely looked Jew-like. But to me the orc just looked like an orc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The orc loses some of it in still frames but it really comes through when you see it in motion. Again, they had to redesign the lootbox orc and his mannerisms because they were so blatantly antisemitic that the backlash was too much to ignore.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
All of these are referencing very well known pieces of anti-Semitic art you uncultured nincompoop

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Arcsquad12 posted:

The orc loses some of it in still frames but it really comes through when you see it in motion. Again, they had to redesign the lootbox orc and his mannerisms because they were so blatantly antisemitic that the backlash was too much to ignore.

It doesn’t seem like this got picked up in the gaming press, I don’t remember hearing anything about this before today.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

All of these are referencing very well known pieces of anti-Semitic art you uncultured nincompoop

Smdh at not having an encyclopedic knowledge of racism

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of racism to identify racial stereotypes.

El_Elegante posted:

It doesn’t seem like this got picked up in the gaming press, I don’t remember hearing anything about this before today.

I was aware of it through Jim Sterling, because he had a big ramble at the time about how Warner Brothers Interactive and Monolith were loving with the game balance. He used the clip of the greedy jewish orc a lot in his videos on the topic.
https://twitter.com/jimsterling/status/918069737665519616?lang=en

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 12, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I can't believe this is too subtle for a few people posting in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PC8Luqiws

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I did it, I found my breaking point. I was doing an event quest that amounted to listening to some dumb robot tell a bad campfire story, then after ten minutes or so of that poo poo I had to keep a fire fed with four people. It was getting low so I hurried to the kindling and watched the bar fill up as I grabbed it but I guess there was lag so the mission failed anyways. No reward, just a complete waste of my loving time.

I've seen level 200s and I don't get it. Those people surely have FO4, I do not get what it is that keeps them playing what is just an objectively worse FO4. I'm glad I got to try this for free to eradicate any sort of interest in maybe picking this up when it dropped to 10 dollars. Free is actually too much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I look at videos of people playing this game and the listed side quest objectives that are constantly showing really uninteresting sounding quests and I don’t regret passing on this turd

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TGLT posted:

I did it, I found my breaking point. I was doing an event quest that amounted to listening to some dumb robot tell a bad campfire story, then after ten minutes or so of that poo poo I had to keep a fire fed with four people. It was getting low so I hurried to the kindling and watched the bar fill up as I grabbed it but I guess there was lag so the mission failed anyways. No reward, just a complete waste of my loving time.

I've seen level 200s and I don't get it. Those people surely have FO4, I do not get what it is that keeps them playing what is just an objectively worse FO4. I'm glad I got to try this for free to eradicate any sort of interest in maybe picking this up when it dropped to 10 dollars. Free is actually too much.

Alot of people already finished upgrading their backpack so they don't care about it as much anymore.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Alot of people already finished upgrading their backpack so they don't care about it as much anymore.

Yeah but it's bad. It is FO4 with lag and no mods. Inter-player interaction is barely extant, and also the game is bad. Even if you've got all the poo poo and don't have to deal with nearly as stringent weight restrictions it doesn't suddenly become better than the game it is a pretty direct copy of mechanically. I don't understand how you get to like level 40 or 50 and not go "wait this is a game I own, but worse and without modding."

Even if you really want to do an open world survival thing with friends you just have so so so many better options. This brings nothing to the table and also whoops uncle 76 is drunk and he brought a bag of stale half eaten chips to the party.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

how much extra weight does that get you?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I want to apologize to everyone for bringing up ATOM, I didn't know it had such a particularly gross bit of antisemitism in it.

And I'm apologizing in advance to everyone for digging more deeply into it.

So I went to visit the book merchant in the game last night, and not only does it repeatedly have him rubbing his hands together but when you trade with him, he will neevr give you more than a ruble for any item in the game. He's the first cities book merchant, I expect to be able to sell all my recipes and poo poo back to him. His wares are also higher in price and the way the economy works he'll end up with a lot of hard currency in his inventory that you won't be able to access.

IT's tremendously lovely. It's one thing to have a depiction that you can pass off as a tasteless lovely joke and another to apply this stereotype to your character entire interactions with him. I'm think I'm going to write an annoyed review somewhere.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Rinkles posted:

how much extra weight does that get you?

A level 50 backpack is +60 carry capacity. Backpack mods may increase that by up to another 60, but other mods for the backpack are pretty nice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Southpaugh posted:

I want to apologize to everyone for bringing up ATOM, I didn't know it had such a particularly gross bit of antisemitism in it.

So I went to visit the book merchant in the game last night, and not only does it repeatedly have him rubbing his hands together but when you trade with him, he will neevr give you more than a ruble for any item in the game. He's the first cities book merchant, I expect to be able to sell all my recipes and poo poo back to him. His wares are also higher in price and the way the economy works he'll end up with a lot of hard currency in his inventory that you won't be able to access.

IT's tremendously lovely. It's one thing to have a depiction that you can pass off as a tasteless lovely joke and another to apply this stereotype to your character entire interactions with him. I'm think I'm going to write an annoyed review somewhere.

This is a shame because a game shopkeeper being a stingy bastard is a funny idea. Just get rid of the yarmulke and stuff and they'd have an enjoyable character on their hands

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TGLT posted:

Yeah but it's bad. It is FO4 with lag and no mods. Inter-player interaction is barely extant, and also the game is bad. Even if you've got all the poo poo and don't have to deal with nearly as stringent weight restrictions it doesn't suddenly become better than the game it is a pretty direct copy of mechanically. I don't understand how you get to like level 40 or 50 and not go "wait this is a game I own, but worse and without modding."

Even if you really want to do an open world survival thing with friends you just have so so so many better options. This brings nothing to the table and also whoops uncle 76 is drunk and he brought a bag of stale half eaten chips to the party.

There are mods.

The rest is correct.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Southpaugh posted:

I don't know man. Have you considered that it is not antisemitic at all but just a stingy merchant, and even if it is, it doesn't offend EVERYONE, so who cares? :smug:

Seriously though that's majorly lovely. It sucks that tasteless racist poo poo like that was even allowed to be published

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You gotta hand it to them, ATOM is made by some nobody Russian dev so they probably can't afford traditional marketing. Instead, every time someone mentions their game, even in passing, it immediately explodes into a heated discussion about Morals in Gaming. This is free exposure. A good low-budget plan in TYOOL 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
issuing correction on previous post of mine, regarding the racist developer AtomTeam. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"