Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

this is just as bad as spending $800 on an imaginary space ship

maybe worse

Bitch please. Have you even looked at handbags? Coach will make your nose bleed, and they're lower end.

Lladre posted:

Star citizen has affected me in one good way.

I did not pre order Cyberpunk 2077.

So, you're a Keanu locust?

Taxxe:

The blur is 'pudding'. We adopted from a local family that was moving to a no pets place.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

Star citizen has affected me in one good way.

I did not pre order Cyberpunk 2077.

CDPR (and Obsidian, to a certain extent) are about the only big studios who I'm willing to put enough trust into to preorder these days. The more indy early access stuff like Factorio/Kerbal/Rimworld I'll buy if they've got GoonApprovalTM

Hav posted:

The blur is 'pudding'. We adopted from a local family that was moving to a no pets place.

Hi Pudding i hope that purple floof is tasty :3:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I might preorder cyberpunk because I forget when poo poo comes out and I like getting a little notification saying its already preloaded and ready to go.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Baxta posted:

I might preorder cyberpunk because I forget when poo poo comes out and I like getting a little notification saying its already preloaded and ready to go.

You can also buy an Idris. Same thing.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Baxta posted:

If you buy 10 copies you get 10 alerts, win! :holy:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Baxta posted:

Don't preorder video games.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lack of Gravitas posted:

CDPR (and Obsidian, to a certain extent) are about the only big studios who I'm willing to put enough trust into to preorder these days. The more indy early access stuff like Factorio/Kerbal/Rimworld I'll buy if they've got GoonApprovalTM

Yep. Had my doubts with Fargo/Inxile but they sort of earned my trust back even though they can't hit a release date worth a drat.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

There's no real need to preorder it now. You can do so like a week before hand and still get all the goodies and be good to go on launch day.

I used to preorder games to ensure that I got a copy on release, but there's no real reason to do that now what with digital distribution.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I wonder how much this guy is in Star Citizen for.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

I think he is all the way in.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

colonelwest posted:

What I don't ever get about these types of requests .... there's already a myriad of sex games out there catering to basically anything you can think of. Go play one of those.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Response of the year!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rePool posted:

Response of the year!

lol loving solid

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

One Star Citizen

Maybe two, someday

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

What's a family trip to Japan and those crappy memories compared to life long memories of a jpeg? I want to tell my children how amazing my virtual space ship is, not historical landmarks or actually spending time with people.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

rePool posted:

What's a family trip to Japan and those crappy memories compared to life long memories of a jpeg? I want to tell my children how amazing my virtual space ship is, not historical landmarks or actually spending time with people.

Hey grandpa, remember the time you bought me this ship jpeg?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't need multiple star systems in my space game. All I need is a Skyrim-sized crater and I'm fine.

e: also a worm maybe...as DLC or something

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

okay but

how can you do all that stuff when there's nothing to do in game?

is SC just some weird rear end collaborative fanfic?

e: can you even do PVP ship boarding yet or is that "still on the horizon"

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hey grandpa, remember the time you bought me this ship jpeg?

Gramps: I do buddy, wasn't it neat?
Grandson: It still has no doors grampa!!!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Asmodai_00 posted:

okay but

Alpha, friend.

Anytime you come up against the (seemingly infinite) glass walls of "can't do this yet" - just shriek 'alpha!' and carry on.

The only fully implemented feature CI has managed to push out is payment processing.

-----

I remain forever blown away by the fact that this has eaten alive the work and money of so many people and looks to keep going until it bursts at the seams all at once like some undead golem held together by Lich Robert's undying will.

I hope it happens all at once. No announcements and sad buildup. Just offline one day. Offices locked. Websites 404'd. Porsches stolen.

Just think:

It took 8ish people (and some contractors offsite) and about a million bucks for our little indy dev to make Darkest of Days - a game most of you have probably never heard of or played. But it was built from scratch by a room of nerds (two insanely dedicated code monkeys made the engine) funded by a rich dude that really wanted a civil war video game. The end result is a dorky time travel shooter with no shortage of flaws... But it's playable and fun and you get to take a microwave cannon to town on Roman Legionnaires so I'm going to call it a success. And we managed it without mocap, too.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2019

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

Alpha, friend.

Anytime you come up against the (seemingly infinite) glass walls of "can't do this yet" - just shriek 'alpha!' and carry on.

The only fully implemented feature CI has managed to push out is payment processing.

okay but circlejerking about how awesome something could be is just a gigantic waste of time after a point and SC passed that point about 6 years ago?

how are "investors" this dumb :psyduck:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rugganovich posted:

I'm still struggling with this bit.
Is my mother the boss of me or not?

She will always be...snuggums

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Absolutely not worse because the shoes are an actual real item that exists.
I mean yeah, but why buy them if you ain't going to wear them, and just stare at them all day going "one day I'll be invited to the met gala, and when that happens I can bust out these shoes and it'll be amazing" and you sit and dream and dream and dream about that one day about 8 years from when you first bought them but then oh poo poo you realize that they are completely out of style now and a used pair of those same shoes is about a quarter of the price so you better buy back in super loving hard with the new style because that gala event or the oscars or whatever the gently caress dreamworld poo poo you have going on in your completely broken brain is screaming at you SPEND MORE MONEY IT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY and ONE DAY YOU'LL BE IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR THIS AND EVERYONE WILL ADORE YOU and you take to twitter to post things like "you don't understand shoe development" and "maybe you need to be more positive" and you take pictures of the shoes in different angles and lighting to make them look even better and find a similar group of users on reddit so you can all talk about just how amazing these shoes will be in the very, very extremely near future when you finally get to wear them

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Asmodai_00 posted:

okay but circlejerking about how awesome something could be is just a gigantic waste of time after a point and SC passed that point about 6 years ago?

how are "investors" this dumb :psyduck:

Admitting defeat is hard.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

TheAgent posted:

I mean yeah, but why buy them if you ain't going to wear them, and just stare at them all day going "one day I'll be invited to the met gala, and when that happens I can bust out these shoes and it'll be amazing" and you sit and dream and dream and dream about that one day about 8 years from when you first bought them but then oh poo poo you realize that they are completely out of style now and a used pair of those same shoes is about a quarter of the price so you better buy back in super loving hard with the new style because that gala event or the oscars or whatever the gently caress dreamworld poo poo you have going on in your completely broken brain is screaming at you SPEND MORE MONEY IT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY and ONE DAY YOU'LL BE IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR THIS AND EVERYONE WILL ADORE YOU and you take to twitter to post things like "you don't understand shoe development" and "maybe you need to be more positive" and you take pictures of the shoes in different angles and lighting to make them look even better and find a similar group of users on reddit so you can all talk about just how amazing these shoes will be in the very, very extremely near future when you finally get to wear them

:perfect:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Bitch please. Have you even looked at handbags? Coach will make your nose bleed, and they're lower end.
I just had to chip in like $300 for a LV bag for my sister in laws bday, I think the total was like $2500 for something that looked straight out of a 1980s sweatshop

I know the wallet pain of accessories all too well

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

Wait, how do you spend over $27,000 on a trip to Japan?

Delivery Health.

Or maybe just gunpla, those 3D jpegs are expensive.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Beet Wagon posted:

Instead of doing it the way every single space game ever does it (smaller ships are faster but with less range and cargo, and larger ships can go farther and carry more but move slower) CIG has decided to take a novel approach by making smaller ships worse in every measurable way, in the hopes that it will force players to live out Chris Roberts's "WWII Aircraft Carrier In Space" fantasy. They expect owners of smaller ships to be hitching rides on carriers (not implemented) and transports (not implemented) any time they want to go somewhere.

This could work if they made smalls ships quicker on short hops but made the large ships have some quicker method of system to system travel or jumpgates between central hub systems or something that would encourage people to fly the small ships but hire on to a carrier for a long haul flight.

Of course you would need at least 50 times as many locations to make it work and have a game that works but why get caught up in the details?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

MilesK posted:

Wait, how do you spend over $27,000 on a trip to Japan?

Couple thousand to get there, rest on maid cafes and hostess clubs.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
What I like most is that time marches inexorably forward while Star Citizen does not.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

where the gently caress are the women that do that poo poo because every single one I know would wear a pair of louboutins until they had to be held together with duct tape

Who needs duct tape when you can buy Louboutin stick-on soles online? All the loubu goodness 1/100 of the cost

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

did you all get your secret goon documents in the secret goon post?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Asmodai_00 posted:

okay but

Need to post the creepy gif of the pilot slowly coming after you.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
My wife works for some bigwigs in the financial sector in Manhattan.
She gets those fancy shoes and bags gifted to her on a regular basis.

Her nieces love her since she tends to regift half of the stuff to them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

On the other hand:

Buy things you like because hoarding your ridiculous piles of first world income is just as broken and likely way more damaging to everyone in the long run. If you need an 800 dollar pair of shoes or a spaceship for a dopamine hit and it's within your budget, why are we still talking? If owning them enables a fantasy for you that you'll some day be in the perfect position to use them, and that makes you happy, then great. We all need to recognize what it is we want and need at the core of ourselves and try to fulfill it. Maybe that's the dream of being fabulous at a big event, maybe it's the dream of finally being important and successful in a video game- maybe it's the dream of being an anime girl online. Own it, and in owning it, let go of the deep fear of rejection and judgement that keeps you loudly mocking others because you're scared of what you want. Is this the same thing as an endorsement of Star Citizen? I don't think so- it's an endorsement of the motivations of whales, though I think they've been lied to about this particular product. I don't hate Clifford for spending 60,000 bucks on this while dressing like an anime girl online- seriously, I admire that he lacks whatever shame or fear of social rejection holds the rest of us back from waving our freak flags to the same degree. I just wish he'd picked a product whose owners deserved his money.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I guess I'm saying that there was a point where I was really into internet spaceships and I'd get extremely excited to theorycraft about them and the ways we were all going to fly them later and why not throw money at them? And then I got burned by like five mmo's in a row and I decided that all video games are trash and it's better to sit back and yell angrily at everyone else because they're stupid for liking things that will fail. But that didn't really feel as good and honestly was kind of a bummer.

So I took some time and looked in myself and now I've realized that all video games are trash, but that it's okay if people get excited about them, because the world is trash and we should cherish every little thing that sparks joy without hurting anyone else in this endless holocaust hellscape of a civilization.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

So I took some time and looked in myself and now I've realized that all video games are trash, but that it's okay if people get excited about them, because the world is trash and we should cherish every little thing that sparks joy without hurting anyone else in this endless holocaust hellscape of a civilization.

You need a good long hug.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

You need a good long hug.

There's a ship for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen