Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think there is a fair bit to a small twist on this take, having gone into chredge already and the eu forcing google into dropping a lot of the restrictions they placed on licensees i figure a microsoft android phone running a very windows phone (.net, winui, chredge) interface layer is pretty plausible.

wdg: what i'm taking from the above is that you want a folding phone that can only run uwp apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

I want live tiles and win10 start layout on my iphone. its so much better than the lovely icons dumped everywhere at random across multiple horizontal screens

u can move the icons around to your liking !!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft users itt too dumb to use phones intended for non technical women and children

mystes
May 31, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

Ugh. Movable icons are like the phone version of overlapping windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

there are a handful i want to move to certain places and the rest i don't care about that should just be in a single list on the second page with all the other apps.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

microsoft users itt too dumb to use phones intended for non technical women and children

it wouldn't be an apple product if it didn't have total morons defending jonys horrible design

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pram posted:

shaggars iphone probably looks like a boomer desktop with just 8 pages of lovely fart games that they never use but scroll past several times every day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krankenstyle posted:

a boomer desktop

also mods namechange pls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

shaggars iphone probably looks like a boomer desktop with just 8 pages of lovely fart games that they never use but scroll past several times every day

huh, almost like its a really bad design where they didn't consider having more than a half dozen icons

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

whatever just organize them in categories or something i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how bout instead i just get one page where i can stick the ones i use all the time and then a second page where i get a list of everything i have installed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

well yeah he is a boomer

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I just pull down and search because janitoring 10 pages of apps sucks - and organizing them just doesn’t do anything for me as I don’t know what’s in the folder .

widgets and badges help, but it’s not quite an at-a-glance like the windows 10 start was/is

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

well yeah he is a boomer

is he really

I suddenly understand everything

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
best feature of Windows Phone was the “I’ll be late” button when you get a meeting appointment. very useful in Redmond when you need to shuttle between buildings and need an extra 15 minutes.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I can’t wait for Windows lite to gain Win32 compatibility by using WINE.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/Razican/status/1138818892825055233

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

good luck lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I really don't give a poo poo about some organization deciding what to replace outlook with in 2019, even if that organization is CERN.

Tell me when they write their own Outlook replacement and maybe I'll care.

Also I'm surprised they were using Microsoft software at all.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I hope Microsoft thoroughly audits them once they ditch their licenses.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Drastic Actions posted:

I can’t wait for Windows lite to gain Win32 compatibility by using WINE.

no the beauty of it is that it doesn't run anything at all, which is what makes their "omg updates are so fast!" demos possible. enable win32 and you'd have to, like, run the same update process as win10. but it's even slower than win10 because you have to do both lite and the win32 host.

yes wdg is this stupid and no, they didn't learn anything at all from windows rt.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
ms products are essential to the economy

it's so anti-user that you need to be taught it, thus employing teachers and consultants

it's so buggy that you need a fully trained IT staff

the list goes on and on

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fiedler posted:

yes wdg is this stupid and no, they didn't learn anything at all from windows rt.
Don't forget Windows S and any other incarnations of the same idea that I might be forgetting.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

USSAr posted:

ms products are essential to the economy

it's so anti-user that you need to be taught it, thus employing teachers and consultants

it's so buggy that you need a fully trained IT staff

the list goes on and on
literally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1W0F0yObg

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
home.cem

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

MS has no authority to audit anything at CERN. MS can get hosed.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lol I knew it was gonna be this

hail zorg the job creator

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

you hope one of the planets largest corporations retaliates a small research and scientific group for what probably amounts to peanuts?

how’s that loving boot taste

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every few years some euro org whines about having to pay Americans for our superior products and services and they need to be put in their place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

MS has no authority to audit anything at CERN.
I think that depends on their license agreement?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I hope CERN develops an OS and I can add another entry to YOSPOS.txt

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

I hope CERN develops an OS and I can add another entry to YOSPOS.txt

i thought they did, i was about to link to Scientific Linux but i mixed up CERN and Fermi

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mystes posted:

I think that depends on their license agreement?

what license agreement? they’re dropping their licenses

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as part of that agreement they may be required to prove they have removed the software from their systems. also if Microsoft suspects a violation after the fact they can go to traditional legal means to get them to stop and/or pay up

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you want a vision of the future, imagine lawyers shaking you down for licensing fees - forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

physicists love macbooks so it probably isn't as big of a deal as you might think and their big iron was never windows in the first place

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
yeah, I’m sure Marty Robbins is big at CERN

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

probably getting rid of AD and Exchange

maybe they could throw a bunch of millions at some linux nerds to make a good AD clone, I'm sure the relevant software patents are all expired by now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a really weird story as i really can't imagine them having a distantly relevant bill from microsoft. if they can save a buck that's great, but it has to be on the level of renegotiating what company cleans the toilets at their facilities in both cost and practical impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i thought cern used NeXT