Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s so crazy, like we’ve been on dual core/quad core since 2006. And all of a sudden we’re at quad core 13” pros and 6- and then 8(!)- core 15” models and iMacs. I think if it weren’t for all of the bad blood regarding the keyboard and thermals the 2018 and especially 2019 models would feel like real quantum leaps.

There are models like the 2011 Air and 2013 rMBP that everybody cites as their favorites because the chipsets inside really let the hardware shine for the first time. Whereas the 2010 Air and first gen rMBP suffered slightly for pioneering cutting edge tech and design with somewhat under-equipped silicon, both revisions saw major performance gains that made the Air’s new form factor or the rMBP’s Retina display the new standard. And it’s a shame that these new MBP’s won’t get nearly the same love because their design still has too many caveats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks Bob Morales, really appreciate the explanation. I didn't realize they were selling last year's MBP!

I ordered a specced one from the Store because I need it and the Adoramo was backordered.

Now to figure out how to destroy the data on my '13 MBA SSD and scrap it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I saw something that warned hyperthreading might have to be nerfed or ditched altogether because of these Intel CPU exploits. Which means we really need those extra cores.

Or a new chip manufacturer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wonder if we'll ever see Ryzen CPUs in Apple computers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It’s so crazy, like we’ve been on dual core/quad core since 2006. And all of a sudden we’re at quad core 13” pros and 6- and then 8(!)- core 15” models and iMacs. I think if it weren’t for all of the bad blood regarding the keyboard and thermals the 2018 and especially 2019 models would feel like real quantum leaps.

There are models like the 2011 Air and 2013 rMBP that everybody cites as their favorites because the chipsets inside really let the hardware shine for the first time. Whereas the 2010 Air and first gen rMBP suffered slightly for pioneering cutting edge tech and design with somewhat under-equipped silicon, both revisions saw major performance gains that made the Air’s new form factor or the rMBP’s Retina display the new standard. And it’s a shame that these new MBP’s won’t get nearly the same love because their design still has too many caveats.
If they finally got their keyboard poo poo together this last gen seems pretty nice. Unless you want USB-A, HDMI, SD, or whatever ports built in.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw something that warned hyperthreading might have to be nerfed or ditched altogether because of these Intel CPU exploits. Which means we really need those extra cores.
I think there’s hardware mitigations in the upcoming stuff...which I’m sure someone will exploit somehow in a crazy way eventually, but hey things should be good on that front for the Mac Pro and whatnot going forward.

Not that it matters if AMD ends up kicking their rear end anyway. How long until the Jim Keller led Intel chips come out :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gay Retard posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see Ryzen CPUs in Apple computers.

Apple went all-in on ThunderBolt 3 and I don't think AMD supports that yet do they??

Not that Apple couldn't get that ball rolling if they wanted to. Not sure how AMD matches up on the power side of thigns either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new AMD 7nm Ryzen with 16 cores is the talk of the tech town right now. Supposed to be a gaming beast.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

The new AMD 7nm Ryzen with 16 cores is the talk of the tech town right now. Supposed to be a gaming beast.

The next generation AMD Epyc CPUs will be up to 64 core / 128 thread and will steal Intel's lunch money.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Bob Morales posted:

Apple went all-in on ThunderBolt 3 and I don't think AMD supports that yet do they??
x570 supports tb3: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14455/asrock-x570-aqua-heaviest-flagship-motherboard-ever-with-thunderbolt

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Besides the above, do the TB3 PCIe add in cards need Intel?

Otherwise in the future there should be more implementations cause TB3 is part of USB 4...although I think optional. And knowing USB, god knows what the hell the actual name for the different variants will be.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You'd think Apple or the resellers would be blowing out the 2018's....So many coupon codes and deals in the past but now that I am looking for a newer 15" there's none to be found

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently the “Pro Workflow Team”, the team that had a lot of say in the new Mac Pro, is also working closely on the new MacBook Pro:

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1138945338939568128

(I’d love to see a 14” Pro and really I hope they don’t get rid of the TouchBar)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

16” MacBook Pro Pro starting at $4999

eames
May 9, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Charger sold separately for $299 *skips to next slide*

Seriously though, just fix the keyboard and put a bigger heatsink in there and it’s fine. I personally am past the point of complaining about the lack of USB-A and SD-card readers.

eames fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 13, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gay Retard posted:

Apparently the “Pro Workflow Team”, the team that had a lot of say in the new Mac Pro, is also working closely on the new MacBook Pro:

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1138945338939568128

(I’d love to see a 14” Pro and really I hope they don’t get rid of the TouchBar)

When I see the video of the Pro Workflow Team stomping on Jony Ive like that Achewood comic of everyone pouncing on the guy who invented Comic Sans, then I'll be satisfied.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

When I see the video of the Pro Workflow Team stomping on Jony Ive like that Achewood comic of everyone pouncing on the guy who invented Comic Sans, then I'll be satisfied.

Anybody hating on Jony is a joke.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LionArcher posted:

I get you, but I still have my suspicions that he's responsible for some of the poo poo we didn't need or was taken away.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

eames posted:

Seriously though, just fix the keyboard and put a bigger heatsink in there and it’s fine. I personally am past the point of complaining about the lack of USB-A and SD-card readers.

Apple did somehow manage to solve the thermals in the 2019 MBP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxocVricANg

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

Nice to meet you Jony.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

I get you, but I still have my suspicions that he's responsible for some of the poo poo we didn't need or was taken away.

The thin thing sure, but the keyboard happened around the time he was off designing Christmas trees or whatever the gently caress. He took a break for a year or two, and it was right before the worst starting happening design wise. About a year and a half ago he went back to being at the design lab full time, and right after that Apple poo poo starting getting better again.

His track record over the last 20 years is nuts. Even if he slipped in the last few years, between the new Mac Pro and the overall record you bet your butt I want him working on the new MacBook pros. My hope is they outright steal the thinkpad keyboards and then boast its brilliant somehow and theirs :agesilaus:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/13/apple-seven-new-macs-eurasian-database/

WTF?! Are three of these new iPads or something?

Retina MacBooks and Airs need 2019 models, but how do you spread that among 7 different SKUs?

This oughta be something I hope, unless it's $5000 laptops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

:(

This is gonna happen

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My kid got a MBA as an early graduation gift and she was talking about her friend's MBP the other day, marveling at the touchbar. Then she said her friend had something she could plug into her ports so she could use them and could I get her one of those.

Apparently I never sat her down to have the Birds and the Dongles talk. Kid's been using this for 4 months and hasn't been able to use her USB ports.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LTT computer toucher can't figure out what Apple did to the 2019 rMBP to allow it to perform better than the previous 2018 and even a similarly equipped PC laptop with similar speed CPU (other than undervolting)

I dunno.. it's.. aliens?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Apple did somehow manage to solve the thermals in the 2019 MBP:

I'm losing it at this goofy rear end thumbnail

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jony jizz thermal paste

eames
May 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I'm losing it at this goofy rear end thumbnail
:same:
it is a work of art.

I didn't watch the whole video but it sounds like Apple kindly asked Intel to get better binned, higher quality silicon with lower stock SVIDs. That and new TIM would explain the difference.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kid got a MBA as an early graduation gift and she was talking about her friend's MBP the other day, marveling at the touchbar. Then she said her friend had something she could plug into her ports so she could use them and could I get her one of those.

Apparently I never sat her down to have the Birds and the Dongles talk. Kid's been using this for 4 months and hasn't been able to use her USB ports.

I don’t get it. What was wrong with the ports?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

I don’t get it. What was wrong with the ports?

They are USB-C

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
why are you people linking manic pixie clownshoes dipshit videos without nms tags

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LionArcher posted:

The thin thing sure, but the keyboard happened around the time he was off designing Christmas trees or whatever the gently caress. He took a break for a year or two, and it was right before the worst starting happening design wise. About a year and a half ago he went back to being at the design lab full time, and right after that Apple poo poo starting getting better again.

His track record over the last 20 years is nuts. Even if he slipped in the last few years, between the new Mac Pro and the overall record you bet your butt I want him working on the new MacBook pros. My hope is they outright steal the thinkpad keyboards and then boast its brilliant somehow and theirs :agesilaus:

This.

Also you have to assume that during the break he managed to procure some more of Dieter Rams' freeze-dried corpse to snort for inspiration.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ives was responsible for the hockey puck mouse. I bet he had a hand in that thing you squeezed instead of clicked too.

My confidence in his ability to design input devices is suspect. The keyboard would have probably been worse had he helped.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just imagine what could be done if they ever agreed that, okay, these things are thin enough now, and we'll deign to make them a millimeter or two thicker in order to accommodate a keyboard with individually replacable caps and a less delicate mechanism or a slightly bigger heatsink. Or a camera array that doesn't jut out from the back of your phone, even.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Fedule posted:

Just imagine what could be done if they ever agreed that, okay, these things are thin enough now, and we'll deign to make them a millimeter or two thicker in order to accommodate a keyboard with individually replacable caps and a less delicate mechanism or a slightly bigger heatsink. Or a camera array that doesn't jut out from the back of your phone, even.

i don't think it's actually about thinness. they just need the "best" keyboard and copying the same one that some pc manufacturer uses just won't do

you can get laptops with reasonable keyboards that are as thin or thinner than the mbp and comparable in every other way

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Fedule posted:

I demand a phone with negative thickness. It actually makes more room when I put it in my pocket.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fedule posted:

That isn't the Apple way. Their goal is to make a laptop so thin it becomes a singularity and Jony Ive can vanish up his own rear end.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/13/apple-seven-new-macs-eurasian-database/

WTF?! Are three of these new iPads or something?

Retina MacBooks and Airs need 2019 models, but how do you spread that among 7 different SKUs?

This oughta be something I hope, unless it's $5000 laptops.

I really wonder what this is all about. Can't be ARM Mac related or we would've heard hints at WWDC. MBPs just received a speed bump. I'm guessing it has to do with Ice Lake/Sunny Cove, these are officially confirmed for the 9-28W range which would cover the the 12" Macbook and 13" MBA/MBP range.
They could also be non-touchbar versions of the current MBPs.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 14, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OWC released a new SSD, the Aura Pro X2

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14382/the-owc-aura-pro-x2-ssd-review-nvme-for-older-macs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

With a bunch of soldering or a Chinese FPGA re-programmer, you too can have a working 2011 MBP again

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/permanently-disable-2011-15-17-macbook-pro-dedicated-gpu-gmux-ic-bypass.2134019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
I am upgrading someones 2012 MBP from the 500 GB spinning HDD to an SSD. I don’t want to deal with legacy cruft or transferring from the dying hard drive. Should I just tell them to put everything on iCloud and do a fresh install on the SSD? What unforeseen problems could this create?