Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

It's 100% meant to blow paint off the marker tip, rather than onto it. Ostensibly it's so you can get perfect color-matching with the Gundam-branded markers, but in reality, it's because people are suckers.
I've seen kids toys that do this. It's not really a new concept. No idea how well they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, that setup is a bit hacky, but Copic markers use the same system and are incredibly popular.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

More progress on the 1/35 AFV Club T-34/85. Today I finished the engine and transmission. This is almost entirely out-of-the-box. I only added spark plug wires and some fuel lines. Very happy with the results so far. :)

Looking good. I saw a very unique way to display this kit today.

grassy gnoll posted:

It's 100% meant to blow paint off the marker tip, rather than onto it. Ostensibly it's so you can get perfect color-matching with the Gundam-branded markers, but in reality, it's because people are suckers.

Can't you just unscrew the marker and drain the paint if you're that desperate?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Managed to get a couple of models finished over the last couple of days both of which where nearly finished when I set them aside.
The first is a BMW M6 GT3 put out by Platz NuNu. It was a super frustrating kit to put together particularly when it came to fitting the bumpers to the body and the rear wing support at the back was poorly planned. Glad it's finished up and on the shelf.

The second was an oldish tamiya kit that was annoying for the decals but the rest of it more or less fell together as expected. I'm not super happy about the clear I put over the decals but given I don't have an airbrush and don't want to use TS13 it'll have to do.

Both look great, dude. I'll agree that the decals are a pain on racecars, but they're so worth it at the end. I'm a masochist so I'm looking for more Tamiya DTM kits to pick up.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

It's pretty overpriced for what it is, but that seems to be the case with most Japanese tools that get imported by us gunpla shops. As long as you're patient, it's always cheaper to buy straight from Japan.

If you look at GSI creos's twitter they usually use that setup for painting demonstrations for kids, which makes a lot more sense.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Both look great, dude. I'll agree that the decals are a pain on racecars, but they're so worth it at the end. I'm a masochist so I'm looking for more Tamiya DTM kits to pick up.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
I mostly don’t mind the decals generally but the ones for the Nissan where 15 years old and from previous experience unobtainable from any source I could find given the age of the kit and the fact they put out a bunch as masterbuilt models. This is actually my second attempt at this particular kit because I hosed the decals royally on the first attempt 10 years ago and had no idea about decal softeners or setters.

I’ve built one non race car and kinda found it boring so I think race cars are my future. My next kit is a jagermeister sponsored 934 rsr Porsche once again done with brushes and a can of tamiya spray in the correct color.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The most fun way to have your historical accuracy cake and eat it too is to get models in pairs: a 109 and a spitfire, a panzer 4 and a Sherman, a zaku and Optimus Prime. Then apply battle damage to the bad guys.

The Swiss Air Force flew German planes, along with the Israelis, Czechs and French post-1944 for a time (plus Spanish Buchons, which were ME-109s with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines).

E: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/08/28/the-swiss-air-force-in-world-war-ii/

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 13, 2019

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The Swiss Air Force flew German planes, along with the Israelis, Czechs and French post-1944 for a time (plus Spanish Buchons, which were ME-109s with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines).

E: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/08/28/the-swiss-air-force-in-world-war-ii/

There's actually an Airfix ME-109 or something I keep wanting to get specifically because it has Swiss markings as an option

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

A few Eduard kits have Swiss markings too.

I'd really like to pick up a 1/72 Fw 190 at some point and paint it in Nc.900 colors.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
You can just do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1426_Flight_RAF and similar

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You can just paint them in German colors and skip the swastika.

I get why everyone is weird about Nazis these days, but you're still being weird about Nazis.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nah, gently caress Nazis.

I totally stole the checkering idea from this Finnish Bf109 decked out in racing stripes, 'cause it looks sharp as all get out. I can only assume that hand-masking the entire fuselage was still easier than putting on that decal.

I've done the unthinkable and cleared out a substantial portion of my backlog. Anyone have any recommendations for outstanding kits of any stripe?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you want something a bit different, the nicest kit I've ever made was one of Hasegawa's construction vehicles. I made one of the rollers but it looks like they're all really good quality. Fun to go hog wild with the weathering, too.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Unkempt posted:

If you want something a bit different, the nicest kit I've ever made was one of Hasegawa's construction vehicles. I made one of the rollers but it looks like they're all really good quality. Fun to go hog wild with the weathering, too.

Sergio Solo did a neat build of one of those models.

https://youtu.be/C1-BwHrMVio

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

I've done the unthinkable and cleared out a substantial portion of my backlog. Anyone have any recommendations for outstanding kits of any stripe?

I'm building Bandai 1/72 X-Wing now and holy poo poo the engineering on that kit is amazing. It feels like you could just open the box, pour some glue in it, shake it well and a good model pops out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Those Hasegawa construction kits do look pretty neat. I'll definitely see if I can turn one up.

Gervasius posted:

I'm building Bandai 1/72 X-Wing now and holy poo poo the engineering on that kit is amazing. It feels like you could just open the box, pour some glue in it, shake it well and a good model pops out.

Not to call you out, but I hated my X-wing and I think it was the worst Bandai kit I've ever put together. Bad fit, crappy decals, too many parts for not enough benefit. The rest of their Star Wars stuff and their robots are great, though.

Did you get the Rogue One X-wing or the Episode IV version, out of curiosity? Mine was the former.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I’ve got a fair few of the Bandai kits, haven’t had a problem yet (do they suffer after first run or something like that?)
Everyone should do the y-wing because it is nice and small and all the tiny pipes and greeblies make for a pretty kit.
Recently got back from Japan and bought too many kits :( Also, the box the perfect grade falcon comes in is nearly as big as a suitcase, just in case you need to know!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Phildo posted:

I’ve got a fair few of the Bandai kits, haven’t had a problem yet (do they suffer after first run or something like that?)
Everyone should do the y-wing because it is nice and small and all the tiny pipes and greeblies make for a pretty kit.
Recently got back from Japan and bought too many kits :( Also, the box the perfect grade falcon comes in is nearly as big as a suitcase, just in case you need to know!

Some of the really old molds can have problems but there aren’t often problems with later Bandai runs.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

You can just paint them in German colors and skip the swastika.

I get why everyone is weird about Nazis these days, but you're still being weird about Nazis.

I think this is a pretty interesting conversation that is rarely had in good faith in the scale modelling community b/c of how people absolutely meltdown in facebook groups and scale modelling forums at the hint of swastikas being bad and people making the choice not to model them. I remember seeing someone insist the swastika wasn't bad because it's a hindu symbol - wilfully missing the context that a marking on a me-109 is probably not referencing the hindu symbol. Although perhaps i have too high hopes for scale modelling facebook groups which tend to be pretty awful beyond looking at rad builds.

I appreciate the argument that modelling is about historical accuracy and I think that's mostly fine but people in the hobby seem v quick to do a nazi what if of a star wars AT-ST or the whole thing where revell pulled the nazi flying saucer out of toy stores and everyone was pearl clutching about censorship.

I generally just model star wars or allied/cold war subjects but I think modelling a captured scheme is a good way to experience a consensus good kit like the new tamiya BF-109s while avoiding modelling a nazi subject.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Or just model whatever and don't put swastickers on it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What if you’re making a crash site diorama, is it ok to put swastikas on the debris?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Build a Nazi plane but put the actual Buddhist swatika on it and also paint a bunch of Buddhas on the wings and fuselage

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're the dude just building a bunch of things with swastikas on them then it's going to be pretty obvious.

If you're the dude building a wide range of subjects to a level of accuracy where everything has correct markings it's also going to be pretty obvious.

You know which one you are.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what about when you go out of your way to get cyrillic decals to put за Сталина on a kv-5 model

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FrozenVent posted:

What if you’re making a crash site diorama, is it ok to put swastikas on the debris?

Yes, but only if Patton is in the diorama, and he's trying to poop on the swastika.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

A diorama of the engineers who blew up that swaastika at the (I think) Nuremberg Rally site.

Just a big, 1/32 man sized swastika getting methodically wired with TNT by a bunch of laughing GI Joes.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Now dig this, just spitballing, diorama idea: the General Lee jumping a gorge, but the 01 on the side is a swastika-

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Phildo posted:

Now dig this, just spitballing, diorama idea: the General Lee jumping a gorge, but the 01 on the side is a swastika-

Is Calvin pissing on it?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

What if the General Grant is jumping over an exploding Swastika'd General Lee?

Also, content:

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 14, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what about when you go out of your way to get cyrillic decals to put за Сталина on a kv-5 model

Then you're that guy who slaps random decals on tanks with no respect for historical accuracy, since no scenario where a KV-5 would have been built would result in it having slogans on it.
:goonsay:

Although I still love the guys who produce Russian language decals without having the vaguest idea of what the Cyrillic alphabet is like, which results in models with the Russian equivalent of the random stamps you find on Chinese produced guns from the 30s.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Then you're that guy who slaps random decals on tanks with no respect for historical accuracy, since no scenario where a KV-5 would have been built would result in it having slogans on it.

Although I still love the guys who produce Russian language decals without having the vaguest idea of what the Cyrillic alphabet is like, which results in models with the Russian equivalent of the random stamps you find on Chinese produced guns from the 30s.

рождены умереть
мир это ебать
Убей их всех 1945
Я мусорщик
410 757 864 530 погибших фашистов

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i wanted it to match my WoT KV-5

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

рождены умереть
мир это ебать
Убей их всех 1945
Я мусорщик
410 757 864 530 погибших фашистов

Ahahah gently caress yes

"Trash man" became "garbage man" though, so it would probably need some polish before you could send it to the printers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

A diorama of the engineers who blew up that swaastika at the (I think) Nuremberg Rally site.

Just a big, 1/32 man sized swastika getting methodically wired with TNT by a bunch of laughing GI Joes.
Looking at that boom the method used was "if we use it here, we don't need to lug it around".

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ahahah gently caress yes

"Trash man" became "garbage man" though, so it would probably need some polish before you could send it to the printers.

If I ever make a soviet tank or lend-lease airplane, I'm totally gonna write that in on the side.

Also, still not a huge fan of AK Real Color paints:

I tried using a paper mask for the camo, but it didn't work that great. Also had some peeling issues with Tamiya tape. Ended up just using freehanding with blutac to simplify things.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Should lacquer paint really be peeling that easily?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Should lacquer paint really be peeling that easily?

Probably not. They seem closer to Tamiya than Mr Color/Gaia. The pigment in Tamiya seems much finer than in Real Colors.

I mean its a perfectly serviceable line of paint; I just kinda expected it to act more like Tamiya/Mr Color based on AK advertising how compatible it was with lacquer thinners.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
AK does come off as that company that needs a line of everything but then the quality isn't super great.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Arquinsiel posted:

If you're the dude just building a bunch of things with swastikas on them then it's going to be pretty obvious.

If you're the dude building a wide range of subjects to a level of accuracy where everything has correct markings it's also going to be pretty obvious.

You know which one you are.

When I was a kid I didn't know there was an issue, but then again, when I was a kid Nazism was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Symetrique posted:

What if the General Grant is jumping over an exploding Swastika'd General Lee?

How about Sherman flying the Enola Gay over Atlanta?

I'm looking to build a tabletop spray booth. What would be a good option for an extractor fan that could vent through a window?