Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there’s no mega evolutions because it’s called gigamaxong now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zoran posted:

Of course they could just make the good Megas that rescued terrible Pokémon into actual evolutions like they always should have been, but it’s Game Freak so that won’t happen.
remember back in gen 4 when they gave a lot of terrible pokemon new 2nd/3rd stages and made them good, but then people whined about them "ruining classic designs" and "making the national dex disorganized" or whatever and so gamefreak decided they wouldn't make any new evos for old pokemon ever again

to be fair, some of the megas are slightly OP, and not being able to hold items was a good balance, but yeah, I really wish most of them were actual evolutions instead of a momentary gimmick

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Not that the leak needs to be confirmed any more than it already has, but that video showing Nessa's gym matches up with what ol' boy said about her gym being a maze where water blocks your way.

Also complaining about getting healed at the gym entrance is the whiniest poo poo ever, literally all it does is save you the ten foot walk to the pokemon center next door, that's it. If they wanted to reset the puzzle it's as easy as going to a blank screen for a sec while they play the healing music and when it returns, the puzzle is back to the way it was. Grow up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dias posted:

This lends credence to the "maybe they wanna try and run a SwSh meta with its own gimmick" theory.

they could do that anyway though. just add mega stones and z crystals to the ban list

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wanna see people's reactions when their favorites lose to the likes of Sunflora and Ledian

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as long as I can still make my beefy team consisting of Nidoking, Darminitan, Haxorus and Crobat im good. Assuming the original 150 and their further evolutions will be in SwiSh just because Let's Go was recent.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

less laughter posted:

New Famitsu is out, confirms that S&S won't have Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves.

I will miss... Mega Mawile... and... yeah, that might be it? Can't think of any others that really turned a Pokemon from "not usable" to "usable".

Fuckin loved the removal of HMs but the way they handled it was lame imo. "Oh, no matter where I am in the world, I just press this button and this specific Tauros comes to my aid". Coulda just given every mon a field ability, consolidated surf/waterfall/dive/whirlpool and cut/rock smash/strength. Having to curate a dungeon team was annoying but "I gotta have at least one of the 300 Pokemon that can swim and one of the 300 Pokemon that can clear obstacles" would have hardly been arduous. Or relegate it to items like your first Pokemon can always carry you across the water as soon as you have the Lifejacket in your bag, some poo poo like that.

That gym heal thing is aces. If I needed to heal, I was gonna go do it anyway, and I wasn't gonna waste my items when it's a two minute trip to the Center. Whoever said don't confuse inconvenience with difficulty hit the nail on the head. See: My complete loving inability to clear the Platinum Battle Tower (currently breeding/training a goddamn Steelix to use as a wall, shout out to whoever was talking about the breeding QoL in the old games being garbage compared to the new ones) - I'm bad but I'm not so bad that I ever lose in the first 21 battles, so having to redo that section every time I lose is infuriating because it's another hour+ of smacking down lovely unevolved guys to get back to the challenging part.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

they could do that anyway though. just add mega stones and z crystals to the ban list

Eh, it's simpler this way.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vinylshadow posted:

I wanna see people's reactions when their favorites lose to the likes of Sunflora and Ledian

I swear to god if Goldeen and Seaking get to coast through by virtue of being in the Holy First Generation, I'll die.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Diet Poison posted:

I swear to god if Goldeen and Seaking get to coast through by virtue of being in the Holy First Generation, I'll die.

They've already been confirmed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shuckle please be in Galar.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

less laughter posted:

:downsbravo:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

less laughter posted:

New Famitsu is out, confirms that S&S won't have Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves.

wack

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

less laughter posted:

PISS.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Maybe Seaking gets a new evo like Farfetch'd

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what’s wrong with seaking

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

it's gonna become fish and chips

Goldeen and Seaking are basically the Geodudes of the seas.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

less laughter posted:

it evolves into a fire/ghost type when you give it a sack of potatoes and cover it in beer batter

oddium posted:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oddium posted:

sea kings necessitate staying on the grand line lest you slip into the calm belt and they destroy your ship

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i’ve got seastone though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Simisage, Garchomp and Salamence get confirmed. Your favorite doesn't. It's all about balance, now look at Ledian and Tyranitar hanging out in balance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every pokemon with Stealth Rock is excluded from Galar is the only reason I’d accept no National Dex.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I hope some of my weirder champions from past gens get to join, like Gothitelle or Darmanitan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zoran posted:

No, they’re getting memory holed instead, haven’t you been paying attention?

Of course they could just make the good Megas that rescued terrible Pokémon into actual evolutions like they always should have been, but it’s Game Freak so that won’t happen.

If Mega Evolve became a 5PP move that changes their form+stats for a duration ala Dynamxing, that'd probably be a neat compromise

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No not my mega beedrill! :cry:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Parrotine posted:

This.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's all about balance, now look at Ledian and Tyranitar hanging out in balance.
People have been doing this for a long time now. Game Freak employees do not mean by the word "balance" what Pokemon fans, competitive ones especially, mean by it. They have never cared about base stat totals or whether or not Torkoal can OHKO Landorus-Therian with Overheat. They're talking about having a diverse and interesting cast of Pokemon available to catch, and being able to populate routes with a good mixture such that there's likely to be something you want to find on any given route.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Parrotine posted:

Butterfree finally got its revenge

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gamefreak cares about balance for their own VGC tournaments, which is why stealth rock will never go away

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No one's mentioned it recently, but there's a lot of dismissing the technical issues with working on a thousand pokemon by saying they already have the models and animations. But do they have walking and running animations for all 800-ish old Pokemon ready to go? Not everyone can t-pose through the field like Wingull. If they add even one simple animation like that it could be a ton of work.

And obviously it's work that will just get harder and harder with each generation expected to look better and better. It feels like a big part of this is just to establish a precedent that they would inevitably have to establish sooner or later.

It also gives a niche for a Stadium style pure battle game if there's an appetite for a game where you can use everything.

Crosscontaminant posted:

People have been doing this for a long time now. Game Freak employees do not mean by the word "balance" what Pokemon fans, competitive ones especially, mean by it. They have never cared about base stat totals or whether or not Torkoal can OHKO Landorus-Therian with Overheat. They're talking about having a diverse and interesting cast of Pokemon available to catch, and being able to populate routes with a good mixture such that there's likely to be something you want to find on any given route.
Remember that generation where they forgot to add fire types and then only included one fire type from previous generations in the local dex?

I mean, you're totally right about this and the power level "balance" complaints are nonsense and kind of miss the premise of Pokemon, but it's funny how badly they can mess up even the other kind of balance.

I expect Galar to have one of the larger regional dexes though, considering that there's nothing beyond it, so I'd be surprised if they half-assed their selection.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eiba posted:

No one's mentioned it recently, but there's a lot of dismissing the technical issues with working on a thousand pokemon by saying they already have the models and animations. But do they have walking and running animations for all 800-ish old Pokemon ready to go?

Yes they do, they were all in the gen VII games. Unused.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Eiba posted:

No one's mentioned it recently, but there's a lot of dismissing the technical issues with working on a thousand pokemon by saying they already have the models and animations. But do they have walking and running animations for all 800-ish old Pokemon ready to go? Not everyone can t-pose through the field like Wingull. If they add even one simple animation like that it could be a ton of work.

sucks that they have to animate pokemon in a pokemon game, really makes you think

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eiba posted:

Yes, they're all in Sun and Moon's data and largely unused. They were used in LGPE.

And the Wingull thing should prove the lie entirely. Because holy poo poo, if they actually were adding movement animations they might want to add them to an insanely common Pokemon they were showing off in the demo.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:havlat: Who is ready for good news? :havlat:

If you participated in the May Online competition, your shiny Tapu Fini is available as your participation trophy!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In an ideal world, the Galar Dex consists of at least 40-50 pokemon from every previous generation on top of the new stuff

Get rid of the superfluous and redundant pokemon (Starters being the one exception)

Make it an even 500

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

Yes, they're all in Sun and Moon's data and largely unused. They were used in LGPE.
Man, that's crazy. I didn't know that.

This whole thing seems like a reasonable change... except for all that data that apparently they already did the stuff you'd think would be hard (like upscaled models and animations and stuff). I guess it all really is to arbitrarily establish a precedent?

There's a lot of people understandably angry at this, and shooting down the given reasons, but I'm honestly at a loss then to imagine what the actual reasons are then.

quote:

And the Wingull thing should prove the lie entirely. Because holy poo poo, if they actually were adding movement animations they might want to add them to an insanely common Pokemon they were showing off in the demo.
This is silly though. Wingull's got an iconic pose. I can't really imagine it flapping its wings. If it just does its cute gliding thing all the time I'm not going to complain.

Pidgeys and spearows, Pokemon you'd expect to flap, were flapping in Let's Go.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eiba posted:

This whole thing seems like a reasonable change... except for all that data that apparently they already did the stuff you'd think would be hard (like upscaled models and animations and stuff). I guess it all really is to arbitrarily establish a precedent?

There's a lot of people understandably angry at this, and shooting down the given reasons, but I'm honestly at a loss then to imagine what the actual reasons are then.

This is silly though. Wingull's got an iconic pose. I can't really imagine it flapping its wings. If it just does its cute gliding thing all the time I'm not going to complain.

Pidgeys and spearows, Pokemon you'd expect to flap, were flapping in Let's Go.

Swellow will be the real test because man does its model look stupid.

I still think Wingull literally T-posing around without even like bobbing looks stupid and lazy as hell though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 13, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eiba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_wd8KSNHBut1ewRB1NvUfzpc_rCmJlTD

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

less laughter posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
has gamefreak responded, or will they probably ever respond, to the whole Pokémon home Galar dex only fiasco?