Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Funny, I was just rewatching this. Clam, go back to the fat dude eating pizza avatar.

https://youtu.be/kwjj4e1VRfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Docjowles posted:

It's also worth noting that, intentionally or not, homework problems screen out a lot of applicants for totally irrelevant reasons. Taking care of kids or a sick family member, or working two low paying jobs but hoping to advance etc etc? None of that has any bearing on your tech abilities, but sure makes it harder to scrape together 4 hours of focused work in the evening.

Why employers might prefer people with tons of free time to spend on tasks very similar to their eventual jobs is left as an exercise to the reader.

:argh:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not a fan of homework assignments.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:troll meme:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Have any of you done work from home while raising your baby? Wife and I agreed I would work remotely and raise our baby, but friends say its gonna be impossible. I know IT can sometimes be it's own island so if someone has first hand experience that would be great.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Keeping an infant alive for the first six months to a year is a pretty much a full time job, lots of factors depending of course.

Unless your work is entirely project based, you’re fine with working evenings occasionally and you don’t need to be on conference calls, I just don’t see how that would be doable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It is literally impossible to get any real work done while your kiddo is awake and you are both at home.

You'll be limited to working during nap time and evenings.

I imagine it would get better when you can lock the kid in his/her room with some video games and cheetos, but until then wfh is a non-starter.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If your wife is staying home to actually care for the child, and you're just also there, it can be fine. That's what I did when our first kid was born.

If she's not there and you're the sole caregiver during work hours, then N-O-P-E. You are not going to get a drat thing done. Seconding what everyone else said.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

It is literally impossible to get any real work done while your kiddo is awake and you are both at home.

I imagine it would get better when you can lock the kid in his/her room with some video games and cheetos, but until then wfh is a non-starter.

After a few years they won't wanna get out of the room, all they'll ask is video games and cheetos.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Fool posted:

:shrug:
FWIW I spent 8 hours on a conference call with Airwatch Support while at home with my 9 month old.
Dare I say she was more helpful than Airwatch Support which only managed to completely gently caress my entire installation so bad that I had to start over from scratch.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
When my twins were born they slept for ninety minutes then ate and shat for ninety minutes then slept.

While they slept, I could either sleep OR shower OR eat OR go exercise OR just just on the couch and wonder what I’d done to my life.

It gets waaaay easier and it is waaay more fun, but yeah, you ain’t getting poo poo done for yourself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Tech interviews where they expect you to know complex solutions off hand are just as bad as homework. But yeah, the homework assumes you have tons of time available to give back to a job you might not even get.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Well poo poo. I wonder if there is a coworking daycare on long island. Doubt it, that seems like some trendy yuppy poo poo and were all just a bunch of NIMBYs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Agrikk posted:

When my twins were born they slept for ninety minutes then ate and shat for ninety minutes then slept.

While they slept, I could either sleep OR shower OR eat OR go exercise OR just just on the couch and wonder what I’d done to my life.

It gets waaaay easier and it is waaay more fun, but yeah, you ain’t getting poo poo done for yourself.

Just gotta find that sweet spot of staggering your conference calls between the sleep and poo poo cycles.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Well poo poo. I wonder if there is a coworking daycare on long island. Doubt it, that seems like some trendy yuppy poo poo and were all just a bunch of NIMBYs
Closest WeWork is Queens. All the spaces east are Regus. Don't give them your phone number or you will literally have seven people from the same company calling you and emailing you at the exact same time.

Sepist posted:

Have any of you done work from home while raising your baby? Wife and I agreed I would work remotely and raise our baby, but friends say its gonna be impossible. I know IT can sometimes be it's own island so if someone has first hand experience that would be great.
A couple of different experiences with our first.

When my wife went back to work, and I was working from home, we'd send #1 to daycare three days a week and I'd watch her the other two. In an operational role, what this meant was that I'd be available and online to deal with anything urgent that people needed, and my project work would usually happen after-hours.

Later, she went to school, and we moved upstate so she could do her clinical. On short notice, the best childcare I could get was a nanny for about six hours a day. She lived on an army base 15 miles away from my apartment, so I'd lose about an hour in the commute. So, same thing: I'd have about four hours in the middle of the day to get work done, and I'd have to pick up the slack in some late-night sessions. My wife was usually at the hospital late at night, so it's not like there was a ton to do anyway after I got the little one to bed.

Flexibility is great in your situation. It might work out really well for you. Just be aware that a) you cannot consider eight hours working from home with a newborn to be eight billable hours, b) unless your kid is a great napper you will not get a ton of consecutive head-down time for focus-driven work, and c) you'll need alone time to pick up that slack. If you have a work situation that's accommodating of this type of setup, you might be really happy doing it, and you'll save a bunch on childcare. It can be stressful.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Closest WeWork is Queens. All the spaces east are Regus. Don't give them your phone number or you will literally have seven people from the same company calling you and emailing you at the exact same time.

7 people..who do they think they are, TekSystems recruiters?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Methanar can talk about me helping him fix up his resume while I had a sleeping 3-month-old in my arm, because I couldn't put her down without her waking up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Y'all are gods amongst men. I can't imagine juggling a kid with everything else going on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Y'all are gods amongst men. I can't imagine juggling a kid with everything else going on.
Every one of your hobbies will all suffer before your work does. If you're lucky you can keep one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Every one of your hobbies will all suffer before your work does. If you're lucky you can keep one.

I just really value my free time. Plus, something like a migraine or the flu, that kinda stuff knocks me out. And I think it's probably a miracle any of us made it to adulthood without getting murdered by our parents.

Mad respect to parents. I could never do it. I'm lucky enough to have found someone who agrees.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

psydude posted:

Just gotta find that sweet spot of staggering your conference calls between the sleep and poo poo cycles.

This type of cadence actually lends itself to playing Eve, fwiw. I made a boatload of cash autopiloting stuff from Jita to staging areas to help with the war effort against BoB. Turns out you only need to “play” Eve every hour or so in order to make sweet sweet isk.

And bleh to interviews that ask “solve my work problem that my team has been struggling on for the last two months for me. Right here. Right now.”

I sat in an interview where the guy asked me how I could create an infinitely scaleable storage space. I said, “uh, I can’t. But I’ll pontificate for you for a bit about the issues you are probably facing.”

This was a year or two before Amazon launched S3 and I remember thinking, “if I could solve this problem I’d patent the poo poo out of it and retire young rather than giving it up as a goddamn interview answer.”

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Taking care of a child while working is incredibly difficult but it can be done if you have a really flexible job. Do not do this unless you have absolutely no other option though.

My wife became very ill and was hospitalized several times. At that point I basically worked from home and in the evenings while taking care of our 2 year old son and 8 year old daughter. I simply had no other option and was really grateful my job allowed to WFH for 3 days a week and be on site for half days when I had parents/inlaws taking care of them.

It was insanely stressful and I slept 3-5 hours per night for the better part of a year. Still not sure how we made it work. I felt like an absolute zombie.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been on the interviewing side of a company giving a real world problem to a candidate as something to "think about for a few days then white board in person". This particular one seemed doomed from the start but the company already had an action plan in place and wanted to see how if the candidates ideas aligned.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

One of my kids was cooperative and I just wore him in the little harness thing while I was working and he was generally cool with that for most the day. You still need to take a break every 30 min or so but if they are a calm baby it shouldn’t be too bad. Well, aside from the standard perpetual state of sleep deprivation and exhaustion. Hopefully you have family to help out sometimes but lol we didn’t.

My other one was a hellion and it was so impossible to do anything at all on the computer due to the kid flipping out because she hated the little wearable thing and would simply scream if she was awake and not being held. So idk ymmv

They will invariably poo poo themselves or be hungry whenever you have a conference call though so have fun with that. I’d definitely recommend the wearable kid thing though and a standing desk if you can manage it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:shrug:
FWIW I spent 8 hours on a conference call with Airwatch Support while at home with my 9 month old.
Dare I say she was more helpful than Airwatch Support which only managed to completely gently caress my entire installation so bad that I had to start over from scratch.
FWIW-in-response, and you know this, having gone through it, but a 9 month old is much different and easier than a 2 month old. There's a lull of a sweet spot where they learn to grab for toys and coo and be cute, but aren't yet fully mobile, which is probably the easiest it's going to be for the first few years, and 9 months is just about right for that one.

I've been in Sepist's boat. For us it wasn't a necessity, but merely a way to save on some money. Perhaps I'd just take care of the girl myself since I work from home. That went out the window almost immediately, especially since so much of my job is leading conference calls. It wasn't even remotely possible to pull off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

FWIW-in-response, and you know this, having gone through it, but a 9 month old is much different and easier than a 2 month old. There's a lull of a sweet spot where they learn to grab for toys and coo and be cute, but aren't yet fully mobile, which is probably the easiest it's going to be for the first few years, and 9 months is just about right for that one.

I've been in Sepist's boat. For us it wasn't a necessity, but merely a way to save on some money. Perhaps I'd just take care of the girl myself since I work from home. That went out the window almost immediately, especially since so much of my job is leading conference calls. It wasn't even remotely possible to pull off.

Oh definitely. I meant ":shrug:" because I didn't work from home when my baby was a newborn.
I don't now. I'm able to accomplish some work but like was already said, it is mostly during naptimes. Not nearly enough to constitute ~work from home~ but maybe ~get some work done on my day off~
I mean you can leave the kid in the swing for a little while while you do some things, but yeah conference calls are a non starter.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rack studs are the poo poo. Can't believe nobody told me about these.

e: oh my god these are impossible to remove

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 15, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Rack studs are the poo poo. Can't believe nobody told me about these.

e: oh my god these are impossible to remove

I got a rack stud for you right here

e: happy Friday, idiots

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Posting from a new city.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

Posting from a new city.

Still Canada. Not like it changes. Moose warnings and snow are expected.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Salesforce deployments where something that worked perfectly fine in QA inexplicably breaks everything in PROD. This weekend is rather suddenly ruined.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Podima posted:

gently caress Salesforce deployments where something that worked perfectly fine in QA inexplicably breaks everything in PROD. This weekend is rather suddenly ruined.

Oh lol. It’s the summer update day. We’re hosed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Posting from a new city.

Did you move to Edmonton

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you move to Edmonton

I did.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good, now go outside and socialize, son.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Edmonton seems alright. Isn't it pretty much an oil and gas town?

Calgary seems really neat. I'd like to visit both sometime. Is Calgary basically Canada's Denver?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Edmonton seems alright. Isn't it pretty much an oil and gas town?

Calgary seems really neat. I'd like to visit both sometime. Is Calgary basically Canada's Denver?

Calgary is bigger and denser, but has more oil/gas headquarters. Edmonton is closer to the tar sands up north, and is the capital so has a lot of public sector, as well as a big university and more green space/parks. Neither are close to Denver, I used to travel there for work and Denver is a way more metropolitan/major city. As a Vancouverite, I am honour bound to say that both Edmonton and Calgary are shitholes, but if you're young dumb and full of cum like Methanar they're the place to be compared to the many small isolated rural communities.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Finally I have an occasion to post this:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I think I just negotiated a company with a flat management hierarchy into creating an engineering director position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
A bit late, but decided to post and state that my current employer is awesome.

About two weeks ago, late on Memorial Day, tornadoes touched down in our area. Beavercreek, OH, between New Germany-Trebein Rd and Kemp Rd, got positively ripped to loving shreds. I lived just a little north of that and we got pummeled with hail, heavy rains, and 60-70mph winds. First thing my boss asks is if my house is okay and how my mom is doing, and whether I need some time off to get repairs done. Since nothing was damaged I was good, but the fact that my boss actually cared was touching. My best friend's parent's house was hit pretty hard (he also works for the company), and the Director was on the phone with him checking to see if he needed assistance and was preparing to mobilize the entire building to go out. Fortunately the most severe part of the damage was the trees getting snapped in half and taking down the electric. Some houses were damaged far worse, and in a couple cases the houses were not even standing.

The company set aside a bunch of hours for anyone who needed them so they didn't have to use their own PTO. It truly seems that the whole "we care about our people" isn't just a phrase thrown to stockholders to get some positive PR.

Even funnier was a couple days later someone starts pounding on my front door. I open it up and there are three Fairborn police officers. "Does <mother's name> live here?" I say yes, then ask "what the hell did she do? Rob a bank?" "Can we speak with her?" "Regarding....?"

Turns out my mom had called her brother in Mississippi to let him know we were okay, but left the call on voicemail. He tried calling her later and it went to voicemail. In a panic he called the police and requested they do a welfare check. It's nice that someone in my family cared - my sister didn't even bother calling to check on us for a week, and only then because she needed my mom to babysit. Sometimes I wish I was an only child.