Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Feels like the TCLs are on firesale. You can get the 55R617 for $429 on Rakuten via Electronics Express. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
My LG 65" E6 started having burn in from the "nick" logo from my kids watching it quite a bit. It's 3+ years old now, just under 5500 hours lifetime. Called LG, they said they would replace the panel out of warranty. A week before the panel was supposed to show up it started showing a lot of artifacts and shutting off about a minute into it being on. LG is still going to do the panel replacement and if not they said they would look into doing a buy back. Anyone been through that? Any idea if the artifact stuff is main board related or panel related?

Additionally, if LG does the buy back, I'm going between getting a 77" C9 or a 65" E9. I like the size of the 77 and I have a big enough room to support it but not sure if the E series is much better than the C series. I have the E6 now, which I think is the on glass screen and it looks amazing. I don't want to downgrade just to get something bigger.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boner Wad posted:

My LG 65" E6 started having burn in from the "nick" logo from my kids watching it quite a bit. It's 3+ years old now, just under 5500 hours lifetime. Called LG, they said they would replace the panel out of warranty. A week before the panel was supposed to show up it started showing a lot of artifacts and shutting off about a minute into it being on. LG is still going to do the panel replacement and if not they said they would look into doing a buy back. Anyone been through that? Any idea if the artifact stuff is main board related or panel related?

Additionally, if LG does the buy back, I'm going between getting a 77" C9 or a 65" E9. I like the size of the 77 and I have a big enough room to support it but not sure if the E series is much better than the C series. I have the E6 now, which I think is the on glass screen and it looks amazing. I don't want to downgrade just to get something bigger.
Did you buy directly from LG? I've gotten some pretty nasty burn in on mine I think from overheating or something as it hasn't had much onscreen time but it's 2 years old at this point so I just figured they'd tell me tough luck if I tried to get it fixed.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

American McGay posted:

Did you buy directly from LG? I've gotten some pretty nasty burn in on mine I think from overheating or something as it hasn't had much onscreen time but it's 2 years old at this point so I just figured they'd tell me tough luck if I tried to get it fixed.

I bought it from Best Buy. I called VIP support and they said they would do it as a courtesy because they didnt do a great job saying that oleds can get burn in.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi goons please recommend me the best hdmi cables I can get in lengths of 3m that arent extortionate. Stupid question but are all hdmi cables created equal when it comes to 4k?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi goons please recommend me the best hdmi cables I can get in lengths of 3m that arent extortionate. Stupid question but are all hdmi cables created equal when it comes to 4k?
Can't hurt to get Certified cables. With 2.1 replacing 2.0b around the corner, you might as well futureproof yourself, assuming the cable is likely to go into a device supporting it at some point. But I don't know if there's a huge price difference; just make sure to tag your cables somehow since HDMI versioning isn't printed on the cables like with CAT/Ethernet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Amazon basics high speed 4k are recommended even by the nuts on avsforum and are reasonably cheap. I have them and theyre fine for me.

Also HDMI cables are not all created equal, there are cheap lovely ones, but you can get perfectly fine ones for non crazy prices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Monoprice is also a great source of cheap certified premium HDMI cables in a ton of lengths.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah Monoprice sound like the go-to people if you live in NA.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just use a credit card that is easily cancelled ;)

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just use a credit card that is easily cancelled ;)

Lol wasn't this like 9 years ago?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never forget! I remember it being a big deal at the time, but it feels like it happens to someone daily now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I finally bought an OLED TV after going back and forth between the C8 and the Samsung Q90. I don't know how good the Q90 actually is but holy poo poo the C8 is a beautiful tv after using a mid tier plasma for the last 5 years. I can't see myself having any desire to go see a movie in the theatre anytime soon and even my incredibly skeptical wife said 'oh wow it's beautiful' when watching John Wick II in HDR last night.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
my 65" b8 arrived. its nice. its also loving huge. like i got freaked out by how big ugly peoples faces on the screen were. i shall endeavour to only view content with beautiful people in it, like thanos

also webos is taking some getting used to. ita different than the clunky panasonic plasma or barebones sony led UIs i previously used.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Web OS is really great so far, I'm impressed. I can't see using my Shield TV much aside from a little gaming, even the Web OS Plex app seems surprisingly robust.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I use the native WebOS apps more than anything. I only use my Roku for apps I don't have on the TV or for stuff that's giving me lip sync issues through ARC.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Ive had white noise on amazonbasics cables so I switched to certified cables on mono price and they work great. I actually thought my Roku and Shield were broken and couldnt do 4K but it was just the cables.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a consensus good mount for the C8? Preferably something I can get from Costco or Amazon in Canada

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nairbo posted:

Is there a consensus good mount for the C8? Preferably something I can get from Costco or Amazon in Canada
I have whatever mount Costco carried 3-4 years ago that does not tilt from side to side. It looks similar to what SourKraut posted pictures of on the prior page, enough so that I initially thought it was the same one. Its bulletproof. Id expect the same from whatever they carry now.

Just make sure you anchor it into studs, or if its over a fireplace, into brick.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 14, 2019

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
My ~9 year old LG 46LD550's HDMI hardware just crapped out so I'm eyeballing replacements (though we may try repair if it can be done cheaply).

My family has off-kilter needs which makes the market a bit frustrating:
  • Much more likely to be viewing 1080p (or even 720p!) content than 4K for at least another few years.
  • Need as many HDMI inputs as we can get; currently have PS3, Switch, Wii (presently on component tho), Apple TV, and a wildcard that is usually a computer or digging out the 360.
  • Having at least some "old" inputs (component or composite) is a nice-to-have as we very occasionally need to hook up ancient kit like a VCR, PS2, or Dreamcast.
  • Majority use case is video gaming with some digital video (no cable service) so minimum input lag is important, especially for those older inputs which I gather may incur more lag if upscaled to 4K.
  • Physical environment is a ~50" wide entertainment center (rental apartment -> no wall-mounting) so 55" diagonal display seems to be our limit and 50" probably better.
Given the market I'm half resigned to getting 4K and gritting my teeth on the upscaling, but if anyone happens to know of a non shite 1080p unit with a lot of HDMI ports...:v:

In 4K land, TCL's clearly the favorite here but their sets only have 3x HDMI and I anticipate an HDMI switch would be irritating to use (& maybe add lag?).

Best Buy's site shows a handful of 46-55" sets that have 4x HDMI - a Vizio M-series, a Sony x800e series, a Samsung 8-series, and two LGs (one sk8000 and one "Nano 8" where the Nano seems to be their particular marketing BS). Curious if anyone's got yea/nay thoughts on those brands or product lines. Our LG served us well besides having poo poo sound, but I know brands change over time, so...:shrug:

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
If you are dead set on a 1080p TV, you are probably going to be looking towards an untested / unknown off brand TV. I think you're more likely to find a suitable TV if you go with 4k and buy a set that has good upscaling for non-native resolutions. Component inputs will be hard to come by these days, but lots of high end sets do at least manage to cram composite in there.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/recommendation

You can set custom filters to find a TV that has features that match your needs. Some stuff I learned after researching the different brands: LG LED tvs tend to be IPS panels, which differs from the usual VA panel most manufacturers use. Most people don't like those panels in TV sized displays. Vizio sets are known to have upscaler chips that add unnecessary softness or sharpness depending upon the resolution. Samsung sets can be slow to get firmware updates that fix bugs, and on at least one occasion, a final firmware update reduced the performance of the set in some way (worse visuals, worse input lag, etc). Most brands are going to have a "gotcha" of some kind, you'll just need to find one that doesn't bother you, basically.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nairbo posted:

Web OS is really great so far, I'm impressed. I can't see using my Shield TV much aside from a little gaming, even the Web OS Plex app seems surprisingly robust.

Agreed, it's the first tv UI that is actually superior to other options.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The Big Bad Worf posted:

If you are dead set on a 1080p TV, you are probably going to be looking towards an untested / unknown off brand TV.
I figured as much, which is why I couched that question as a long shot.

quote:

Some stuff I learned after researching the different brands: [...] Most brands are going to have a "gotcha" of some kind, you'll just need to find one that doesn't bother you, basically.
Thanks, that all makes sense. Re: the firmware upgrade aspect, how how likely is it that there will be showstopper bugs out of the box? We're not planning to use the "smart" aspects of the TV (between directly attaching a computer and having an Apple TV) so unless the bugs impact basic menu use or upscaling, I might not even see them; and I'd rather not hook it up to the Internet if I can help it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

A word of warning, if you buy your LG TV from a non-authorized retailer, they're going to invalidate your warranty.

I turned my C8 on a few weeks ago and there was a black line on it. It persisted on every input/app. Contacted LG, they asked for my receipt, then promptly called me to say "since you bought this on eBay we will not honor your warranty".

Of course, I knew this was a risk, so I had purchased a $100 Square Trade Warranty from Costco. Luckily, they covered it. They initially tried to replace it with a Samsung QLED, which I told them I wouldn't accept. They instead cut me a check for the purchase price of the TV after a lot of back and forth.

Hopefully I can snag a good deal for a replacement once the check shows up. Definitely spring for the Square Trade warranty if you buy from someone other than an authorized dealer.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

A word of warning, if you buy your LG TV from a non-authorized retailer, they're going to invalidate your warranty.

I turned my C8 on a few weeks ago and there was a black line on it. It persisted on every input/app. Contacted LG, they asked for my receipt, then promptly called me to say "since you bought this on eBay we will not honor your warranty".

Of course, I knew this was a risk, so I had purchased a $100 Square Trade Warranty from Costco. Luckily, they covered it. They initially tried to replace it with a Samsung QLED, which I told them I wouldn't accept. They instead cut me a check for the purchase price of the TV after a lot of back and forth.

Hopefully I can snag a good deal for a replacement once the check shows up. Definitely spring for the Square Trade warranty if you buy from someone other than an authorized dealer.

I saw a 65 C9 at Costco yesterday. Only $3200.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Need some sanity checking here, it's my first time going beyond literally the simplest hookup ever.

Bought a Yamaha RX-V685 receiver (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v685_u/specs.html), thinking about buying this Vizio 43" 4k TV (https://www.vizio.com/v436g1.html) Hoping to run the cables for it all in the wall ending in ports, not low voltage glory holes. I know the hidden stuff has to be CL2/CL3 rated. Sources will be a TiVo Mini VOX, Mac Laptop, and Windows PC.

I've made a wishlist of Monoprice things I think will piece together into a functional system, but what I'm not sure on is maximum run lengths, if the connectors I've picked will work how I think they do, is it really as simple as what amounts to a female/female connector you plug an HDMI cable into? Is it hard to get this stuff stuffed into a wall with a 2x4 stud cavity? (There won't be drywall when it's installed.) What am I overlooking/forgetting?

24AWG CL3 HDMI Cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13763 (Longest run will be Receiver -> TV via 2 connectors. Not entirely certain on cable length but let's call it 25' in the wall and 3'+3' patch cords)
Ethernet+HDMI faceplate for Computer input, TV output: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12094
HDMI Keystone: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6852
Faceplates : https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34518 / https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34512
Alternative TV box: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12595 (Need to verify the keystones work and the gloryhole isn't required.)

I actually live close enough to Monoprice that I drive down and physically fiddle with this stuff if I wanted to make an afternoon of it. Probably will do a counter pickup on the order, fiddle with it in the car to make sure it all goes together as expected, and return/buy more of whatever I forgot.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

bitprophet posted:

I figured as much, which is why I couched that question as a long shot.

Thanks, that all makes sense. Re: the firmware upgrade aspect, how how likely is it that there will be showstopper bugs out of the box? We're not planning to use the "smart" aspects of the TV (between directly attaching a computer and having an Apple TV) so unless the bugs impact basic menu use or upscaling, I might not even see them; and I'd rather not hook it up to the Internet if I can help it.

Firmware can be hit or miss. I've personally tried Samsung HDTVs 3 times in the last 10 years or so, all of them had out of the box problems. Some 2010-2012 sets liked to turn the soap opera effect on automatically as soon as you powered on the set, and the only way to stop it from doing that (and keep it off) was to always make sure you powered the TV on in game or PC mode. A more recent set I owned (Q6FN from costco) had a bad HDMI board which periodically blacked out the picture if you fed it a full bandwidth signal (anything that would saturate HDMI 2.0b, so a 4k 4:4:4, or 4k HDR, etc), and also dropped frames from every video source regardless of resolution or refresh rate. Lots of people seem to be happy with Samsung sets so they're probably not all bad out of the box, but I've been burned enough times to stop bothering with them. Personally, if I were to be looking at any TV that wasn't an LG OLED, I would probably be looking at what Sony, Vizio, or TCL are doing. In your use case, maybe less preference for Vizio (since you will primarily be consuming lower resolution content).

Having taken your needs into consideration, (Decent 720/1080p upscaling, low input lag for games, VA panel for the expected contrast ratios and viewing angles of a typical HDTV), you might be interested in a Sony set:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

Some Sony sets do have an IPS panel, which have inferior contrast ratios compared to VA panels (blacks can appear grey), and off-angle viewing exacerbates this. They do tend to maintain better color clarity when viewed off-angle, but it's a small gain for such a huge sacrifice in terms of contrast. Your prior LG TV is old enough that I can't find any meaningful reviews or specs on it, but most TVs from that time had 40~ms of input lag, and more modern sets have closer to 20ms now. I don't think you'll find any reputable TV that has 4 HDMI ports and a component input, however, most TVs do at least have a composite input. Be advised that this is a niche use case and most websites don't test picture quality or input lag for composite, so your mileage may vary in terms of how well that will actually work. Many TVs have scaler chips that can instantly upscale any progressive signal to 4k, so 480p, 720p, and 1080p gaming over HDMI usually has equivalent lag to 4k gaming. Not all sets are created equal and you'll want to pay attention to input lag results that match the input and resolution you care about the most. You might want to genuinely consider having an older TV around for your VHS tapes and older consoles that don't have HDMI outputs. CRTs and older or off-brand HDTVs are pretty commonly available on Craigslist, provided you can find someone selling theirs for a sane price.

If you are budget conscious, the TCL 6 Series is universally praised in the context of its price, but you lose some picture quality and sacrifice an HDMI input compared to the previously linked Sony sets. If any of these sets sound like they suit your needs, you may want to also consider looking up reviews for them from other reputable sources like flatpanelshd and HDTVtest. Each respective review site tends to have different preferences in terms of what they want out of a TV, and something that's a deal breaker for you might be something that one of these review guys only mentions in passing or misses entirely because they don't consider it a priority.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 17, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Firmware can be hit or miss. I've personally tried Samsung HDTVs 3 times in the last 10 years or so, all of them had out of the box problems.

This has been my experience as well. I wouldn't buy Samsung if you have any other options.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Great

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/18681683/samsung-smart-tv-virus-scan-malware-attack-tweet

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey thread! After much deliberation back and forth, we decided to hold off on an oled, even though they are super beautiful. I think theres just too much R&D going on in the space to spend a ton of money right now. I found this article about the industry to be pretty enlightening:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-and-trembling-lg-display-faces-the-axe-for-oled-tv-burn-in-and-market-squeeze/

So, since this was our first 4K tv and first tv weve had to buy in around 10 years, we decided to go with a midrange one that seemed good to us.

We bought a Vizio M658-G1
65 of 4K goodness... 90 local dimming backlight zones... Dolby stuff... quantum stuff (unclear if this is solely marketing or not)

And the one cool feature that I wasnt sure about but actually kicks butt:
Airplay2 SmartCast stuff
We have all apple devices and this feature is in beta currently... two sign-ups for the beta programs (Apple and Vizio respectively) and I was able to cast my iPhone/iPad/iPad Pro screen or whatever I was watching to the TV. Its a really cool feature in my opinion.

We paid $949 at Best Buy last Friday.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but just in case. Is there a way of powering two USB bus powered things from a single USB outlet? Will a splitter cable provide the necessary juice? I know some people don't like using the TV ones for this in the first place.

(Items in question are a Roku Xpress and an Amazon Firestick)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but just in case. Is there a way of powering two USB bus powered things from a single USB outlet? Will a splitter cable provide the necessary juice? I know some people don't like using the TV ones for this in the first place.

(Items in question are a Roku Xpress and an Amazon Firestick)

No. You're going to need to use a wall wart of some kind, perhaps a slim 2-port one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S421 $318 shipped from Walmart

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

H110Hawk posted:

No. You're going to need to use a wall wart of some kind, perhaps a slim 2-port one.

Thought that would be the case, and alas not really an option. Here's hoping the Plex client on the Firestick is bearable in 2019 and I'll just demote the Roku for when I travel anywhere and need an extra bit of entertainment. Thanks.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Could I use this as a second monitor (dumb question probably)?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thought that would be the case, and alas not really an option. Here's hoping the Plex client on the Firestick is bearable in 2019 and I'll just demote the Roku for when I travel anywhere and need an extra bit of entertainment. Thanks.

As long as you don't mean the original Fire Stick it's fine. I have an original and a FS4K, Plex is great on the 4K but slow and unstable on the original.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Same size 6 series is only $425 from Amazon if you count 15% cash back. Waaaaaaay better TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolrah posted:

As long as you don't mean the original Fire Stick it's fine. I have an original and a FS4K, Plex is great on the 4K but slow and unstable on the original.

Hm by original, do you mean the one that came out years ago and has been presumably superseded or the non 4K model they sell?

I grabbed the non 4K model just because its a bedroom solution and even tho its a 4K tv I wont be watching 4K footage in there, and didnt assume it would behave any differently to the 1080p model currently available. Now Im worried it does! Itll be delivered tonight so we shall see ha.

All because bloody AT&T dont do a U-verse Roku app...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm by original, do you mean the one that came out years ago and has been presumably superseded or the non 4K model they sell?
Yeah, the original original. The newer quad core non-4K model should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phew! A busy night ahead but will give it all a whirl. Thanks