Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Interesting.

I feel like you need to be born near the mid to late 80s to ‘grow up’ in the 90s because otherwise you are too young or too old by the end that it would be hard to argue your formative years and transition into early adulthood occurred in the decade, which I un-academically attribute to the decade-generation-identity we are talking about.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qp6XhtoEv0

dah dah dah dah dah dah dahh :effort:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71q-nfkdTI

my own mama say i'm thugged out

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember what mine was, but it was probably 1999 by Prince since I graduated in 1999
Ladies and gentlemen of the Class of ‘99... wear sunscreen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My Twitter Account posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the Class of ‘99... wear sunscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
With Chris Rock's Response
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yBPcn8IqU

But I think for all the spoken word advice songs I can think of, this one predates those
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfy0dMKIi8

I am going to blow all my cool 90s music cred by straight up saying, I love this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM

It's just so....90s cheese and fun. Plus if you sing it at Karaoke, everyone sings along. In the video, how many things can you recognize? Free one is the set is the house from that Caspar movie.
Though the best Victorian spooky video from the 90s is of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn3j6-yQKWQ

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Jun 13, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

Though the best Victorian spooky video from the 90s is of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn3j6-yQKWQ

Hell yeah, I knew what that was going to be before clicking.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

FilthyImp posted:

I generously say birth cutoff is like 93?

You can still remember SatAM stuff at that age.

The real cutoff is if you remember 9-11 in any way

That's interesting. I was born in '93, and while I remember some 90's shows and music (and 9/11), I would consider myself more of a '00s kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabant posted:

Hell yeah, I knew what that was going to be before clicking.

I didn't know what absence was when I first saw the video, but after I did it explained a lot of the last part.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Lookit this guy, humbly bragging about his perfect attendance record.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

dialhforhero posted:

Interesting.

I feel like you need to be born near the mid to late 80s to ‘grow up’ in the 90s because otherwise you are too young or too old by the end that it would be hard to argue your formative years and transition into early adulthood occurred in the decade, which I un-academically attribute to the decade-generation-identity we are talking about.

Born in 81 I feel like an 80's and 90's kid in a lot of ways, it's just that I"m going to remember different parts of them...in the 80's I'm remembering mornings cartoons and toys and little kids stuff, in the 90's I'm remembering more music and pop culture stuff that was happening.

90's were probably more formative in some ways but my life was also oddly divided between the 80's and 90's in that we moved from a small town in the middle of nowhere to the suburbs of Salt Lake City in the early 90's, so there was also this fairly big change in lifestyle. I still think of the 80's as a big part of my formative years because of those differences and the way our life was during that time.

Also ya'll who grew up when the Internet was always a thing have no clue how wild it really is to think back to life before the Internet.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

twistedmentat posted:

I am going to blow all my cool 90s music cred by straight up saying, I love this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM

I will never be ashamed to admit that I love the late-90s, early-00s Max Martin pop production sound. So good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Levitate posted:

Born in 81 I feel like an 80's and 90's kid in a lot of ways, it's just that I"m going to remember different parts of them...in the 80's I'm remembering mornings cartoons and toys and little kids stuff, in the 90's I'm remembering more music and pop culture stuff that was happening.

90's were probably more formative in some ways but my life was also oddly divided between the 80's and 90's in that we moved from a small town in the middle of nowhere to the suburbs of Salt Lake City in the early 90's, so there was also this fairly big change in lifestyle. I still think of the 80's as a big part of my formative years because of those differences and the way our life was during that time.

Also ya'll who grew up when the Internet was always a thing have no clue how wild it really is to think back to life before the Internet.

Where you an SLC Punk :v:?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Song content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJ2b6IaGWU

I was born in late '79 so I feel like both an 80s and 90s kid.

Still remember a lot of 80s poo poo, but obv, more of the 90s.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm a 90s kid cause the first year I remember being aware of was 1992 :dukedoge:

If your first console wasn't a SNES or Megadrive/Genesis gtfo

Sorry I woke up feisty today I’m just playing

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

jojoinnit posted:

I'm a 90s kid cause the first year I remember being aware of was 1992 :dukedoge:

If your first console wasn't a SNES or Megadrive/Genesis gtfo

Sorry I woke up feisty today I’m just playing

It was an Atari 2600. So you get out, junior.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Siselmo posted:

That's interesting. I was born in '93, and while I remember some 90's shows and music (and 9/11), I would consider myself more of a '00s kid.
Hm. Good point. I was born in 83 and I definitely feel like a 90s kid despite living through the 80s staples of HeMan, Transformers, GI Joe, Popples, Rainbow Brite...

As a kid I just kind of osmosed popular culture, but in my teens I felt more connected to what was going on, I guess.

Or basically:

Levitate posted:

in the 80's I'm remembering mornings cartoons and toys and little kids stuff, in the 90's I'm remembering more music and pop culture stuff that was happening.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ferrule posted:

It was an Atari 2600 Intellivision

No one wanted to play Utopia with me :smith:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I will never be ashamed to admit that I love the late-90s, early-00s Max Martin pop production sound. So good.

Some music writer pointed out that Prince basically invented the Max Martin Sound on his 1991 song "Thunder" and I've never been able to unhear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_2DwD6BrM

I mean, there's also some New Jack Swing type stuff in there because it's 1991, but it's still remarkably prescient.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrule posted:

Atari 5200

:smith:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Pastry of the Year posted:

No one wanted to play Utopia with me :smith:

Take it to the 80’s thread...

Utopia on Intellivision was the bomb... loved that game. Fishing harbors FTW

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Levitate posted:

pretty much :same: My small town was in Alabama and then my suburbs were of Seattle.

It really is wild to think that there was a time when you had 3 to 6 channels in total on TV, and there was no Nintendo, or internet access. You went outside and played on the porch steps with your Transformers, Battle Beasts, and M.U.S.C.L.E. Men.

Even after we got that Nintendo, it pretty much stayed that way with new toys throwing into the mix (The Real Ghostbusters anyone?), until about the time I turned 11 and being cool in middle school meant you didn't play with toys, and had to do homework. It wasn't too long until the internet happened and everything was different.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

Some music writer pointed out that Prince basically invented the Max Martin Sound on his 1991 song "Thunder" and I've never been able to unhear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_2DwD6BrM

I mean, there's also some New Jack Swing type stuff in there because it's 1991, but it's still remarkably prescient.

My parents had the vinyl back in the day. I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4BwQFF-Os

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wouldn't mind new jack swing making a comeback

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

The GTA: San Andreas joke about it will never get stale

"WHAT DO YOU CALL A GROUP OF 4 BROTHERS WHERE ONLY ONE OF THEM CAN SING? NEW JACK SWING!"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ferrule posted:

I was born in '86 and my first console was an Atari, because my mom would find 'em cheap at yard sales and bring home giant boxes of games for five bucks. :D

I think my sister still has most of them too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Whole lot of electronic old men itt

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was born in 77 and I've always thought of myself as a 80s kid but a 90s teen. So I remember all the kids stuff of the 80s, Transformers, Mask, overly surgar cereals, and some pop culture stuff like new coke and a lot of music and movies, though that I didn't realize the quality (or lack therefor of) of it. 90s I have much clearer memories because you remember things better from when you were 16 than when you were 8. I can tell you why I liked a movie or a song, or the plot details and subtext of a tv show.

I didn't have an NES until fairly late, because my parents thought I would be distracted from school. But then they realized I'd work harder to get new games, so they got me an SNES the first Xmas they were available.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Iron Crowned posted:

It really is wild to think that there was a time when you had 3 to 6 channels in total on TV, and there was no Nintendo, or internet access. You went outside and played on the porch steps with your Transformers, Battle Beasts, and M.U.S.C.L.E. Men.

Yeah I didn't have a Nintendo but my friends did and Double Dragon 2 was the poo poo. I later got a Super Nintendo and was the king of the block for the next year or so. But we played outside a ton.
That said, my kid (though he's still a toddler) loves to play outside with toys and whatever and has a great imagination. Kids still absolutely love that poo poo, you just have to give them the barest of nudges and encouragement instead of letting them watch tv or play on devices all the time.

quote:

Even after we got that Nintendo, it pretty much stayed that way with new toys throwing into the mix (The Real Ghostbusters anyone?), until about the time I turned 11 and being cool in middle school meant you didn't play with toys, and had to do homework. It wasn't too long until the internet happened and everything was different.

Even after the Internet got going it did not even vaguely resemble what it is now. The biggest time sink I spent on the Internet in the early days was playing MUD (oh and IRC) but the Internet itself wasn't developed enough to be the time waster it is today.

edit: seriously though I miss life without the Internet sometimes. It's mostly dumb nostalgia talking because the Internet is so massively useful despite all its faults and is a quality of life improvement in many ways, but there's a little something magical and adventurous about the days when all of the information in the world wasn't at your finger tips

Levitate has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jun 14, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I was born in 77 and I've always thought of myself as a 80s kid but a 90s teen. So I remember all the kids stuff of the 80s, Transformers, Mask, overly surgar cereals, and some pop culture stuff like new coke and a lot of music and movies, though that I didn't realize the quality (or lack therefor of) of it. 90s I have much clearer memories because you remember things better from when you were 16 than when you were 8. I can tell you why I liked a movie or a song, or the plot details and subtext of a tv show.

The weird thing is, the farther back in time you go, the more you'll realize that quality standards have always been lacking.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I must have watched over 100 episodes of the 90s Ninja Turtles cartoon but I can't recall the plot of a single episode. Guys, I think cartoons back then were trash. Except for Batman TAS.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mu Zeta posted:

I must have watched over 100 episodes of the 90s Ninja Turtles cartoon but I can't recall the plot of a single episode. Guys, I think cartoons back then were trash. Except for Batman TAS.

I'm pretty sure the plot was to beat up the Foot Clan/foil Shredder's plans and then eat pizza

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love how Shredder was Uncle Phill and I never knew for the longest time until the internet told me a few years ago.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wait till I tell you that Mr. Krabs is the Kurgan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Imagined posted:

Wait till I tell you that Mr. Krabs is the Kurgan.

Who?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

an interesting take on loss.jpg, but who?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

an interesting take on loss.jpg, but who?

Which who are we talking about here?

The Kurgan was the big bad guy from the first (and best) Highlander movie, which was a super fun silly film but belongs in the 80's flavor of this thread. He was played by Clancy Brown, who other than Sponge Bob I guess his biggest 90's cred would be Hadley from Shawshank Repemption? He also voiced somebody on Gargoyles.

Dude put in work.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

hatelull posted:

Which who are we talking about here?

The Kurgan was the big bad guy from the first (and best) Highlander movie, which was a super fun silly film but belongs in the 80's flavor of this thread. He was played by Clancy Brown, who other than Sponge Bob I guess his biggest 90's cred would be Hadley from Shawshank Repemption? He also voiced somebody on Gargoyles.

Dude put in work.

Starship Troopers too. The dude's IMDB page is a mile long.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

This almost qualifies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ce0G8FvqTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clancy Brown is also the only reason to see Pet Sematary 2, when he attempts to break the record for chewing scenery