Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Live Free posted:

has gamefreak responded, or will they probably ever respond, to the whole Pokémon home Galar dex only fiasco?

No and probably hell no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just hope they maintain the Pokemon riding thing from SM and you can have the Scottish girl T pose while riding a T pose wingull.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Live Free posted:

has gamefreak responded, or will they probably ever respond, to the whole Pokémon home Galar dex only fiasco?

https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1138877894745190400

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just hope they maintain the Pokemon riding thing from SM and you can have the Scottish girl T pose while riding a T pose wingull.

Doesn't seem like it, looks like your bike replaces HMs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Oxyclean posted:

what the gently caress

The Water-type gym leader in the E3 demo (the Galarian Misty, if you will) has a Goldeen and a Drednaw.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RatHat posted:

Doesn't seem like it, looks like your bike replaces HMs.

... Can it do sick jumps?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c055b5/gamefreak_nintendo_and_the_conflicts_most_fans/

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know, playing USUM, you forget, just how god awful the learnsets are in pre-gen V games

feraligatr, the physical water type, only learns aqua tail well after the elite four.
you can move-tutor it on there, but only from the battle frontier in the postgame. for 40BP.

(yes you can also just stick waterfall on there, but again, that's not until the eighth gym, what the gently caress)
e: you would think that, considering pokemon is one of their main mascots, that nintendo would be subsidizing most of the costs/outsourcing a team to help out, but I guess not? that's actually kinda hosed for gamefreak, if nintendo's the one getting the bulk of the money through merch and the like.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 13, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, playing USUM, you forget, just how god awful the learnsets are in pre-gen V games

feraligatr, the physical water type, only learns aqua tail well after the elite four.
you can move-tutor it on there, but only from the battle frontier in the postgame. for 40BP.

(yes you can also just stick waterfall on there, but again, that's not until the eighth gym, what the gently caress)

That’s not even counting the Pokémon whose move sets got screwed over by the Physical/Special split of Gen IV that still weren’t adjusted afterwards.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Can you guess what Gen I Pokemon this learnset belongs to?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
e: wildly wrong guess was here

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dragonite?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Lickitung

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this is stupid and they're stupid for saying this. especially if they plan to continue the Let's Go line, where (presumably) they'd get around to all the Pokemon anyway. otherwise they should just say "these are the Pokemon who will never appear on switch" and get it over with

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well, that's another franchise for Retro to rescue I guess

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Vandar posted:

Can you guess what Gen I Pokemon this learnset belongs to?

lickitung, but only in gen 1

in later gens, it gets knock off (20 base power) and rollout! :eng101:

...:eng99:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

And yet for some reason, like every gen 1 pokemon can learn fire blast

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lovely learnsets posted:

okay actually, looking at this, my previous speculation:

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, it occurs to me, there probably would've been a little bit less backlash if instead of saying nebulous things about "game balance," masuda said "hey, you know how learnsets and tm compatibility and egg moves and move tutors change every generation so you don't get OP poo poo too early? we have to do that. and it's kind of annoying to do so for pokemon no one's gonna touch anyways."
was clearly wrong, because they seem to do gently caress all with the learnsets of most pokemon

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

lickitung, but only in gen 1

in later gens, it gets knock off (20 base power) and rollout! :eng101:

...:eng99:

It doesn't even learn Lick in Gen I! It's whole gimmick is based around that! :v:

ROFL Octopus posted:

And yet for some reason, like every gen 1 pokemon can learn fire blast

Gen I Pokemon as a whole learn a ton of weird elemental stuff, because there was a lot of kaiju influence behind Gen I's design. It makes sense for a bunch of Kaiju-esque monsters to learn a bunch of crazy elemental stuff, yeah?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

So Go killed real Pokemon.

I wish Town looked remotely interesting to me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why can't Nintendo just throw a bunch of 3D artists at them to upgrade the (already-upgraded) sprites and animations? like, nothing to do with game development, simply doing the artistic gruntwork that GF (sort of understandably) doesn't want to commit resources to?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I can’t find any facts that really support that there’s tensions between game freak and Nintendo. If anyone has some links I’d love to read them but for now I’m just gonna treat that Reddit post as speculation.

Then again I think this thing is been blown way out of proportion.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 13, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

indigi posted:

why can't Nintendo just throw a bunch of 3D artists at them to upgrade the (already-upgraded) sprites and animations? like, nothing to do with game development, simply doing the artistic gruntwork that GF (sort of understandably) doesn't want to commit resources to?

Nintendo is the Scrooge McDuck of the videogame industry

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I can’t find any facts that really support but there’s tensions between game freak and Nintendo. If anyone has some links I’d love to read them but for now I’m just gonna treat that Reddit post as speculation.

Then again I think this thing is been blown way out of proportion

I don't think it's tension in the strained-relationship sense, like they're not making this decision to screw Nintendo or use it as leverage or whatever. it seems more along the lines that Game Freak doesn't want their existence solely reliant upon the one franchise that Nintendo retains control over, which is understandable on a business and creative level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I can’t find any facts that really support that there’s tensions between game freak and Nintendo. If anyone has some links I’d love to read them but for now I’m just gonna treat that Reddit post as speculation.

Then again I think this thing is been blown way out of proportion.

The reddit post isn't claiming strain as in they actually dislike each other. More like strain as in they inherently have somewhat conflicting needs and desires

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Microsoft, please buy Game Freak

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Here's another Gen I learnset for y'all to guess:

Fuckin' lol that the Pokemon who's gimmick is being a clump of vines can't actually learn Vine Whip.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vandar posted:

Here's another Gen I learnset for y'all to guess:

Fuckin' lol that the Pokemon who's gimmick is being a clump of vines can't actually learn Vine Whip.

bellsprout, right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Tangela Tanaconda

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tangrowth is the probably the monster of which my opinion has grown the most over the years. here’s to You

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oddium posted:

tangrowth is the probably the monster of which my opinion has grown the most over the years. here’s to You

I wish lickilicky(sp?) didn't exist. It's just so corpulent.

I really liked that ad this thread used to have that was just lickitung in a banner.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

bellsprout, right?

Gen I Bellsprout legit has a better learnset than Gen I Tangela.

Try to figure that nonsense out.

(Why is such a nothing monster as Gen I Tangela so late game, anyway?)

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That Reddit post gets several fundamental things about the relationship between the various companies that contribute to the Pokemon franchise wrong. The fact that they keep referring to things that Nintendo doesn't have to rely on Game Freak for is a huge signifier; TCPi is the one that explores the development of other titles, and Nintendo barely plays a role whatsoever. Hell, Nintendo had to come up and said that not only do they not develop Pokemon Go, they actually don't make much money from it at all.

That reddit post is all ill informed speculation and rumormongering with the mask of trying to appear like they have sources, but it's all poorly informed.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Lickilicky >>> Lickitung and I cannot believe this is still something I need to say to people.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

quote:

With Pokémon Go’s popularity, Nintendo can see the profitable future without being beholden to GFs artistic decisions, which is also why they’re now launching tons of Pokémon apps (Masters, Quest, Sleep). GF feels like they’re being pushed out, and are hoping they can launch another franchise that Nintendo doesn’t have a stake in.

This is the most ridiculous part of that reddit BS. Nintendo famously lost a bunch of stock value because they came out during Pokemon Go's original heyday to say "We do not see as much profit from Go". The reddit post starts by claiming that Nintendo likes the games because they see money from game sales and consoles and further Non-pokemon game sales but then at the end they're claiming that Nintendo wants all the apps made and care less about the games? Also those pokemon game profits cited are ludicrous. They sell 10+ million a year.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vandar posted:

Gen I Bellsprout legit has a better learnset than Gen I Tangela.

Try to figure that nonsense out.

(Why is such a nothing monster as Gen I Tangela so late game, anyway?)

that's probably why its moveset sucks and its learns are so late, because you catch it and it can only ever have learned four moves to that point. and then you gain a couple levels and you get the rest. everything else is single-use TMs

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing to remember about Gen 1 levelup movepools is that because breeding wasn't a thing yet, there was no reason to have them learn moves at levels below the range you catch them at. That's why Tangela doesn't learn anything beyond its starting moves until level 29 - the lowest level you can catch it at is the mid-20's.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

So this is what the next few months will be. Someone taking some actual info and spinning it out of context for the narrative they want. Already saw a different big effort post doing circles citing that it'd be 14 gigs to include all pokemon, when those numbers don't add up at all given the last few games very public file sizes.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Just starting Omega Sapphire - why did they separate the Center and Mart again?? It was pretty convenient having them under one roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Am I the only who is kinda excited about what Gen 8 will include Mon wise? I feel kinda like this: :suspense: