Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
mein gott this early game bit up to the friendly arm inn is boring as hell. Coming from POE2 back to this, especially when you're trying to nurse a Berserker up for that future dual class is a bit of a pain in the behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People playing Baldur's Gate for the first time in 2019, I love that and I'm also a bit jealous

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

fargom posted:

2nd edition is wacky, doing Berzerker 7 -> Dual to druid in BG2 SoA. When I did the swap, I had 2 pips in two handed weapons, and 4 pips in Quarterstaff. I did not expect to be able to add a 5th pip to quarterstaff when the druid finally got another proficiency at 11 or so, but I sure did and now I have the staff of Rynn+4 from the wondermart and my druid attacks 5/2 per round, with like 21-26 dmg per hit.

Really surprised it lets you do a 5th pip during a "druid level" but hey who cares them monsters have asses that need to be beat to death with a staff.

I think that can only happen when your fighter levels have been reactivated.

But what I really need to know is if I have a berserker/druid with berserker reactivated, can I go berserk and then shapeshift into a berserk bear? Or does the shapeshifting knock the berserk out of me (or prevent shapeshifting)?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rocketrobot posted:

I think that can only happen when your fighter levels have been reactivated.

But what I really need to know is if I have a berserker/druid with berserker reactivated, can I go berserk and then shapeshift into a berserk bear? Or does the shapeshifting knock the berserk out of me (or prevent shapeshifting)?

Shapeshifting is dumb and never used past level 4/5 the first time you get it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

rocketrobot posted:

Yeah it works. The big issues with that idea are a) rolling the necessary stats for a Berserker/Druid is a horrendous task, and b) the vanilla Druid's shapeshifting forms aren't very good.

What does work very well (for a gimmick build anyway) is an Avenger dualed to Fighter. The Avenger's forms are much stronger than the normal ones, and you get some useful spells to boot. You'll need to pick up the Strength tome in BG1 though, since 17 Strength is required to dual into Fighter.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

pentyne posted:

Shapeshifting is dumb and never used past level 4/5 the first time you get it.

This is not true for IWD

quote:

5th level: May shapeshift into a winter wolf once per day.
7th level: May shapeshift into a boring beetle once per day.
9th level: Becomes immune to poison. May shapeshift into a polar bear once per day.
11th level: May shapeshift into a fire elemental once per day.
13th level: May shapeshift into an earth elemental once per day.
15th level: Gains the Timeless Body ability, becoming immune to fatigue. May shapeshift into a water elemental once per day.

I'm surprised Beamdog didn't add that in BGEE. Wolf, black bear and brown bear all (and only) at level 7 in BG is weak.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah it works. The big issues with that idea are a) rolling the necessary stats for a Berserker/Druid is a horrendous task, and b) the vanilla Druid's shapeshifting forms aren't very good.

Sweet thanks.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What does work very well (for a gimmick build anyway) is an Avenger dualed to Fighter. The Avenger's forms are much stronger than the normal ones, and you get some useful spells to boot. You'll need to pick up the Strength tome in BG1 though, since 17 Strength is required to dual into Fighter.

Druids can roll a 17 or 18 str. They just don't get a d100 for exceptional strength when they have str 18. There are bonuses at 17 & 18.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 13, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh dang is Boon of Lathander a "haste" effect? Will I get +1 attacks/round from it while wielding Flail of Ages?

I was thinking about a Fighter dual Cleric. Endure going all the way to Fighter 13 for 2 base APR, then get +1 APR from Grand Mastery, then +1 APR from Boon. +1 APR from dual wielding maxes APR. But if I want to use a shield instead, is there any way to still hit the 5 APR cap?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

rocketrobot posted:

Druids can roll a 17 or 18 str. They just don't get a d100 for exceptional strength when they have str 18. There are bonuses at 17 & 18.

Druids can, but Avengers can't. They're limited to 16 Strength and Constitution at character creation.

SuperKlaus posted:

I was thinking about a Fighter dual Cleric. Endure going all the way to Fighter 13 for 2 base APR, then get +1 APR from Grand Mastery, then +1 APR from Boon. +1 APR from dual wielding maxes APR. But if I want to use a shield instead, is there any way to still hit the 5 APR cap?

You can't dual into a kit, so no Boon for a Fighter dualed to Cleric.

If you could, it would be possible to reach 5 APR by casting two Boons, since they stack.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I was fully planning to cheat so I could be a Fighter dual to kit Cleric. I didn't know I could double up on Boons, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If I recall the Boon isn't a "haste" effect so even though it gives +1 APR it isn't blocked by Free Action, which is nice.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I can never get a sorcerer build off the ground in BG1. What is a good roll and spell guide?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

Druids can, but Avengers can't. They're limited to 16 Strength and Constitution at character creation.

Ahhh you are correct. Thanks!

Lucas Archer posted:

I can never get a sorcerer build off the ground in BG1. What is a good roll and spell guide?

Sorcerers don't have a primary attribute and don't get bonus spells from Charisma. So, pump up your other abilities as much as you want. I'd go half elf with max physical stats and at least a 9 int for scrolls. I'd probably also go RDD and be more melee capable since the con bonuses would get you into regen levels. But if you just want to hang back and rain fire and ice, stay with regular sorcerer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

Dump CHA as low as you can, it doesnt actually effect anything for spells or saves. CON and WIS are good, DEX too.

Spell guides for sorcerers are geared to starting BG2. For example, sleep, charm are phenomenal in BG1 and useless in BG2. You need to pick spells that will be useful all the way to level 20, like armor or magic missile. Anything that scales with levels and doesn't cap will probably be good. A great sorcerer in BG1 can easily become deadweight in BG2.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Chromatic Orb is another good pick for a Sorceror, particularly if you've got another caster who can drop Greater Malison (and a Cleric with Doooooom).
Sucks early on, mind you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

If I recall the Boon isn't a "haste" effect so even though it gives +1 APR it isn't blocked by Free Action, which is nice.

Boon also stacks, so once you get the second cast of it at level 11 you can get up to 4APR with +2 hit and +2 damage (conveniently enough to offset the penalties for dual wielding as a cleric) for 90 seconds. Toss in some of those cleric self buffs and you're a melee machine.

That's nothing a fighter->cleric couldn't do by default, and have berserker rage as an option too. But still, I love playing single class clerics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Chromatic Orb is another good pick for a Sorceror, particularly if you've got another caster who can drop Greater Malison (and a Cleric with Doooooom).
Sucks early on, mind you.

Level 1/2 are pretty bad as far as choices go for sorcerers. Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile, Acid Arrow and defense spells are your best long term options. You can take sleep and then use shadowkeeper to swap it for something else when you start BG2 like the pnp rules if you don't consider that cheating.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm pretty sure you get to repick spells at the beginning of BG2, so there is no reason not to pick up sleep for BG1.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There's literally two, maybe three, level 1 spells you'll be casting by mid BG2 so it doesn't matter what you choose so long as you've got magic missile, identify and maybe chromatic orb by the time you're level 8.

The difficult choices don't start until spell level 3 imo

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Even if you don't get to repick, there are few enough level 1 spells that are consistently useful in BG2 that you can easily afford to take Sleep for BG1. You're just gonna be casting Armor once and then unloading Magic Missiles or Chromatic Orbs anyway, the other slots barely matter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My sorcerer took sleep at level 1, never swapped it out and never missed having that spot for something else. Sleep is way too strong of a spell in BG1 to drop for some theoretical future better spell in BG2. It only matters if you're going to start in BG2 instead of BG1.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alternatively Thalantyr sells a wand of sleep for like... 3000g? Depending on your reputation of course.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

Alternatively Thalantyr sells a wand of sleep for like... 3000g? Depending on your reputation of course.

That's quite a bit of gold for when sleep is at it's most useful. Doesn't hurt to have both though. Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile and Sleep are my top 3 picks for level 1 sorcerer spells.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I like to (eventually) have 16 INT on my PC sorcerer for the tome of golems. I dump WIS for it because I never, ever use Wish. Even in the playthroughs that I "plan" to.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

All 18s bhaalspawn special, please

-never focus on rolling
-never have to plan stats
-most stats like int and charisma are just qol dump stats anyway so who cares

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

I like to (eventually) have 16 INT on my PC sorcerer for the tome of golems. I dump WIS for it because I never, ever use Wish. Even in the playthroughs that I "plan" to.

You can use potions of insight, can buy 20+ by the time you get to casting and using wish. Wisdom is nice for the bonus to lore, without a bard mages are your best identifiers.

Even then, out of 10 times using wish I only ever saw "memorize all spells as if rested" 2 times, so not that useful. Most times I had to pick "random wand appears" and its a wand of frost or magic missile.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't like Chromatic Orb. It's bad at low levels because the effects are weak and worse than Blindness or Sleep, and at higher levels you're basically always better off spending your time casting something better. The +6 bonus to saves makes it super unreliable, and if you're loading a tough enemy up with Greater Malison and Doom you might as well throw something actually nasty at them instead of the Orb.

I'll admit there's comedy value in vaporizing a dragon with a level 1 spell, but apart from funny gimmicks it doesn't seem worth it at any point in the level curve. For my sorcerers I like Sleep, Magic Missile, Blindness, and Shield, from there just convenience stuff like Protection from Evil, Protection from Petrification, or maybe Identify for convenience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

All 18s bhaalspawn special, please

-never focus on rolling
-never have to plan stats
-most stats like int and charisma are just qol dump stats anyway so who cares

this

you're literally a godchild, just have crazy god stats to go with

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Lucas Archer posted:

Rolls:
Cheat like any sane person would.

Spells:
Depends on your party and mods you have installed (SCS makes Detect Invisibility all but mandatory) to some extent.
You definitely want Sleep unless you're playing a solo character and might actually want to ensure all your spell picks stay relevant. The only other level 1 spells you need in the long run are Magic Missile for its usefulness and Shield and Identify for your sanity.
You also obviously want Mirror Image and Stoneskin.
You probably want Web, Slow and Greater Malison.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mzbundifund posted:

I'll admit there's comedy value in vaporizing a dragon with a level 1 spell,

This is actually the only reason that I like Chromatic Orb, if I'm being honest. I unexpectedly insta-killed one of BG2's many dragons with it once and it stuck with me.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I prefer to vaporize dragons with a barrage of magic missiles from my arcane casters' sequencers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sorc stats: 16 con, 18 dex and literally nothing else really matters. I guess pump everything else into int in case a mindflayer is hitting you

For spells just quoting this post again:

bike tory posted:

The spells to focus on in my opinion are:

Mage
LVL 1 - magic missile, I usually memorise one chromatic orb just for lols
LVL 2 - web, mirror image, blur, horror
LVL 3 - haste, melf's minute meteors (probably my favourite spell), for AoE use fireball until you get to level 10, then skull trap after level 10 (they do the same amount of damage with the latter a slightly smaller AoE but a damage cap at LVL 15 unlike fireballs larger AoE and LVL 10 damage cap)
LVL 4 - stoneskin (essential, you'll want this in mages at all times basically so you will not have many spare spell slots at LVL 4), minor sequencer (I usually toss two magic missiles in), greater Malison (if you plan to cast any spells that have a save, also stacks with cleric spell Doom), improved invisibility has some situational use, cloudkill has a lot of cheese potential because if you're not in line of sight then enemies won't move out of it so you can cast it from off screen and kill anything that it effects.
LVL 5 - breach (basically essential for mage, dragon etc fights, removes all the most annoying protections until late SoA), spell immunity (very situational but spell immunity: abjuration is really useful against lichens), lower immunity (stacks, you'll need like 2 or 3 casts of this for any damage spells to go through against dragons), sunfire (ignores magic resistance so don't bother unless you're fighting drow basically), chaos (a decent crowd control once enemy saves get too good for low level fear spells).
LVL 6 poo poo starts getting really good - improved haste turns your warriors into loving destruction machines, mislead (sit your "double" off to the side and your mage has an unbreakable invisibility), true sight, summon nishruu is good for absorbing spells against solo casters
LVL 7 - mordenkainen's sword, project image (basically doubles your spell book with each cast, also your image has the same scrolls/other quick items so you don't have to worry about using up those high level scrolls - though I might be thinking of the simulacrum spell instead), spell sequencer (three skull traps is loving deadly at this level)
LVL 8 - Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting is basically the only damage spell you need at this point. Spell Trigger is situationally good (3x sunfire for example)
LVL 9 - time stop, chain contingency (3x Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting), but really once you get high level abilities all your LVL 9 spells will go to Summon Planetar

Other people will probably disagree and/or have other spells to add but this should be a start point

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
- Running after horror'ed enemies is no fun.
- Slow is far more useful than haste. It turns meat grinders into pushovers. Party friendly.
- Why cloudkill? Use the wand(s).
- Chaos would be my 2nd pick after breach. It completely ends fights before they start and is party friendly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Suspicious posted:

- Slow is far more useful than haste. It turns meat grinders into pushovers. Party friendly.
- Chaos would be my 2nd pick after breach. It completely ends fights before they start and is party friendly.

I'd be inclined to pick chaos before breach. Nothing outside the Planar Sphere in Chapter 2 needs Breach in an unmodded game, so you can pick up Chaos for say D'Arnise Keep and grab Breach for wizard fights when those start popping up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Suspicious posted:

Sometimes slow might bounce off an enemy saving throw, but haste always works on the party, as well as is useful against mages because of higher interrupt chance. Also nice to use sometimes to move quickly across the map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I always combined Haste and Slow as much as possible and felt like a tactical genius. It was actually really effective in a lot of fights

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
If I had to pick between slow and haste I'd pick slow for almost every fight except against golems I guess. I always have an auxillary mage though, and they get to cast haste. Both are obviously better than either one, but if you have to pick, choose slow.

There always are oils of speed though. No equivalent for slow.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I would never take Haste on a Sorcerer unless I had no other arcane caster in the party for some reason but that's pretty much why I wrote a lot depends on the particular party.

Suspicious posted:

I don't get the love this thread often seems to have for Horror in general.
Wands of Fear aren't hard to come by in BG1, a lot of enemies are straight up immune to panic effects, and Horror has Web and Glitterdust as direct competition.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I initially wrote that as a mage spell guide, so the spells aren't in any particular order.

Haste > Slow imo. Haste gives you an assload of extra attacks per round, and can be pre-cast. Slow you basically have to use in combat, can be saved against (or completely resisted by a lot of the enemies you'd want the buff up for) and makes no difference to caster enemies if it can get through their spell protections anyway.

Horror lasts for ages, web is a pain in the rear end because it's not party friendly and glitter dust lasts for like, two rounds? For outdoors use horror sucks but most of the toughest battles are inside anyway.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Haste's duration is 3 rounds + 1/caster level which is extremely short and almost immediately results in a fatigued party afterwards when the fight might not even be over. Yeah, you can pre-cast it (don't do it too in advance though lol) and yeah slow can be saved against, but with great difficulty. It being a save vs spell with a penalty of 4, the worst saving throw of the creatures you'd typically use it against. Also nothing stops you from casting slow until it takes. It makes a huge impact on the fight, haste not so much.

What made the biggest impression on me was fighting trolls, especially Tor'Gal, straight out of chateau Irenicus. He's a monster if all you got is haste. Slowed though, he's harmless. The difference is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The main benefit of glitterdust is being a low level invisibility breaker with added benefit for bullshit like thieves with a seemingly endless stack of 500gp a pop potions of invisibility

Also Oil of Speed is generally superior enough to haste to make it worthwhile to stack on them (and works in a couple situations where haste doesn't iirc), any fight where the oils would be too onerous to bother is rarely hard enough to require haste to begin with, at least in BG (IWD is a bit stingier).