Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Played a quite few characters up to Irithyll over two years ago but never finished this game, even though I have the DLC as well. Attempting it again, took me six tries to kill Vordt when I used to be able to kill him deathless. It's going to be a rough road ahead going forward :v:

Thinking of grabbing a Flamberge at Settlement and rolling with it, maybe an Estoc or a parrying instrument in offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Digirat posted:

first impressions of cinders: a lot of really great and impressive changes to balance (you can use lightning spear as a primary weapon wow) with some surprising stuff like a new quarterstaff weapon and shuffled item locations. functioning poise feels incredible.

and it's dragged down hard by bafflingly asinine increases to boss health. I saw the changes on the mod page which seemed insane but figured surely it made sense in context of all the other rebalances. but no, it turns out vordt having 4.5x health in the mod feels about the same as vordt having 4.5x health would feel in the base game. hopefully things improve once you get more of a build going.

I don't think the HP stuff is defensible overall, but it's worth mentioning that they tried to make the High Wall of Lothric a midgame area.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

from the posting here this cinders mod sounds waaaaaaaay more involved than i would have initially guessed

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Johnny Joestar posted:

from the posting here this cinders mod sounds waaaaaaaay more involved than i would have initially guessed

It's basically a complete overhaul of the game. It doesn't actually add or remove monsters (except some dogs in the first part of the High Wall), but it changes basically everything else. Armor works differently, weapons work differently, there are new weapons, new weapon classes, it's kinda crazy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've seen about 9 cases of enemies added by the mod so far. most of them very confusing. there's a random fire demon on the steps leading up to treemendous in the undead settlement, who can't actually fit through the door. for some reason. There's also an already-transformed pus of man at the bottom of the elevator leading to vordt, and another one just in front of the jump to the ring of sacrifice from there.

I have no idea why they decided that the high wall of lothric is no longer the "starting area" because other than the couple harder enemies it added and goddamn vordt having 4.5x health, it wasn't really any harder than the undead settlement. And the mod starts out letting you travel from the getgo to the high wall, undead settlement, road of sacrifices, cathedral, catacombs, irithyll, and both DLC areas. so you really get extremely little by killing vordt and treemendous, since the transposing kiln was moved from him to the firekeeper tower. The amount of souls they drop wasn't really increased even though everything else drops way more. it definitely has quite the romhack feel.

infusions seem to buff your power substantially and the elemental infusions seem a lot better about damage in general. They cut the physical damage by 50% but add 100% of the base physical damage number as elemental damage, rather than the notgood 50%-50% thing or whatever it is in the base game. You can also buff things that are infused. It let me put blessed weapon on both a fire weapon and an already blessed weapon. so this is interesting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If they buffed elemental infusions across the board that sounds like dark and chaos would be ridiculous considering they're already quite strong

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Digirat posted:

I have no idea why they decided that the high wall of lothric is no longer the "starting area" because other than the couple harder enemies it added and goddamn vordt having 4.5x health, it wasn't really any harder than the undead settlement. And the mod starts out letting you travel from the getgo to the high wall, undead settlement, road of sacrifices, cathedral, catacombs, irithyll, and both DLC areas. so you really get extremely little by killing vordt and treemendous, since the transposing kiln was moved from him to the firekeeper tower. The amount of souls they drop wasn't really increased even though everything else drops way more. it definitely has quite the romhack feel.

Apparently there's a contingent of DS3 fans who strongly believe that Undead Settlement should have been the starting area in the game. :shrug:

For what it's worth, my understanding is that the warp to the Catacombs is unlocked by beating the big tree, so it's not actually a waste of time. The mod author was trying to open the game up a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, it basically all sounds like a kitchen-sink clusterfuck for those already used to the base game quite a bit and who want things to be upended, so on that front it's pretty whatever as far as i'm concerned.

poo poo like 4.5x boss health is outright stupid, though. i get that they probably can't affect too much about a boss barring that sort of stuff but vordt was never exactly intended as a major hurdle and i feel like maybe 2x would be fine enough.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Apparently they made a lot of major changes in the most recent patches. Vordt did not have 6000 health in earlier versions of the mod, and you could skip him originally.

What the gently caress

E: From the changelog:
code:
# Catacombs of Carthus [...]
- Added Bonewheel Skeleton.
:dogbutton:

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Make High Lord Wolnir vomit bonewheel skeletons, that would make him an actual boss instead of a mild inconvenience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Apparently there's a contingent of DS3 fans who strongly believe that Undead Settlement should have been the starting area in the game. :shrug:

For what it's worth, my understanding is that the warp to the Catacombs is unlocked by beating the big tree, so it's not actually a waste of time. The mod author was trying to open the game up a bit.

no it doesn't, like I said you start with catacombs unlocked from the getgo, at least in the version I downloaded. But looking at the changelog from today and seeing things like

quote:

# Irithyll of the Valley
- Removed Pontiff Sulyvahn boss bonfire.
- Removed Central Irithyll bonfire.
- Removed Water Reserve bonfire.
- Removed Irithyll of the Boreal Valley bonfire.
- Added Sulyvahn's Beast.
- Added Silver Knight (Greatbow)

it's increasingly looking like it wants to be a tryhard mod in disguise and I'm glad I downloaded the version that I did before this got worse. It hasn't been terrible or anything but I've found its choice of enemies to add really confusing. like there's now 3 of those giant goat-head monsters that shoot spooky skulls out of a tree trunk at the end of the crab area in crucifixion woods, where you fight those 2 NPC characters. ok? And then just past the ladder down into farron there is now a black knight, guarding the item containing 2 homeward bones. it's very confusing.

I think a better approach would have been to be like scholar of the first sin or maybe that daughters of chaos dark souls 1 mod that I really need to try, where enemies are both added and removed so the encounters are just totally different. But this is clearly WIP if they're still making changes like this so I'd say either grab the version before today's or just wait and see how it shakes out in the end.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Digirat posted:

no it doesn't, like I said you start with catacombs unlocked from the getgo, at least in the version I downloaded. But looking at the changelog from today and seeing things like

it's increasingly looking like it wants to be a tryhard mod in disguise and I'm glad I downloaded the version that I did before this got worse. It hasn't been terrible or anything but I've found its choice of enemies to add really confusing. like there's now 3 of those giant goat-head monsters that shoot spooky skulls out of a tree trunk at the end of the crab area in crucifixion woods, where you fight those 2 NPC characters. ok? And then just past the ladder down into farron there is now a black knight, guarding the item containing 2 homeward bones. it's very confusing.

I think a better approach would have been to be like scholar of the first sin or maybe that daughters of chaos dark souls 1 mod that I really need to try, where enemies are both added and removed so the encounters are just totally different. But this is clearly WIP if they're still making changes like this so I'd say either grab the version before today's or just wait and see how it shakes out in the end.

Yeah, I noticed looking in the changelog that they decided to change the opening areas. The description I gave was accurate, like, two weeks ago? I forgot that the modder makes huge changes every day.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

What the gently caress

E: From the changelog:
code:
# Catacombs of Carthus [...]
:dogbutton:
ds3 bonewheels are such gimpy losers compared to ds1 bonewheels I honestly still doubt this would be hard even if it was actually all of them in one room

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Daughters of Ash is amazing (there was an absurd amount of scripting put into it) but Cinders feels a bit romhacky from most descriptions :( I really don't like inflated boss pools just because.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Daughters of Ash definitely has some impressive work put in but its approach is just as lovely and kaizo overall.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Had some more time to play and making my way through the Cathedral of the Deep.

One strange thing I’ve noticed about this game is how many bonfires there are and how close they are together. A lot of the tension from the first two is gone because there’s a bonfire after practically every encounter. I won’t complain too much though - feeling a bit of Souls fatigue and I don’t mind a bit of help through this last quest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played a bit of Cinders, and I'm a bit confused: it says that Settlement is now the starting area, but I can't go there? It's High Wall and Catacombs, and the two DLC starting areas I can warp to. Did something break for me, or did they take out the Settlement warp?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

I played a bit of Cinders, and I'm a bit confused: it says that Settlement is now the starting area, but I can't go there? It's High Wall and Catacombs, and the two DLC starting areas I can warp to. Did something break for me, or did they take out the Settlement warp?

They changed things. The original description is wrong.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

They changed things. The original description is wrong.
I see, thanks!

Guess I'll have to slog through those already inflated HP values...

But new items are pretty cool. Meh, I'll see how fun it stays.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

I see, thanks!

Guess I'll have to slog through those already inflated HP values...

But new items are pretty cool. Meh, I'll see how fun it stays.

All I can really say is focus on damage as much as you can, wear full armorsets for the set bonus. Remember that poise works like DS1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

All I can really say is focus on damage as much as you can, wear full armorsets for the set bonus. Remember that poise works like DS1.
Phew, I knew starting with the dark sorcerer was a gamble. Getting to the damage increasing gear (wherever it is now) and the good spells is going to be...interesting. Also, no poise to help me.

So you only get the bonus listed on the armor pieces if you wear the full set? You can't mix and match e.g. better Estus recovery gloves, bleed resist helmet, vitality pants etc.?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The bonus is per piece

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got the the rafters above the cathedral of the deep. All the knight enemies ran off the edge after being plinked with an arrow. Good to know some things never change.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

When you've opened up the big doors shortcut that leads back outside, go check out the well at the entrance to the Cathedral, if you haven't already. There's a friend that needs a bit of assistance. :-)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

heard u like girls posted:

When you've opened up the big doors shortcut that leads back outside, go check out the well at the entrance to the Cathedral, if you haven't already. There's a friend that needs a bit of assistance. :-)

likewise, it's time to open up the locked tower adjacent to firelink if you haven't yet. if you have, definitely head back up that way after you peek in the well

edit: and if you really care about hitting all the NPC plots do this BEFORE you send greyrat out on his second scavenging mission

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just linked the flame for the first time :toot:

After the two princes (who adore you), the Soul of Cinder fight was really underwhelming.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

20,000 is a lot to pay for a key right now. Do I have to do it now or will I miss out if I keep exploring the poison swamp?
Edit: Got 20k while lighting the extinguishing the fire and exploring. Will go get the key.
Edit 2: pickle-pee? pump-a-rum? wtf

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

20,000 is a lot to pay for a key right now. Do I have to do it now or will I miss out if I keep exploring the poison swamp?
Edit: Got 20k while lighting the extinguishing the fire and exploring. Will go get the key.

drop stuff for them in their nest. theyll let you know if they like it or not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sleekly posted:

drop stuff for them in their nest. theyll let you know if they like it or not.

I mean, I know that. But...pickle-pee?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

I mean, I know that. But...pickle-pee?

It's a reference to an old song that used them for the sounds of a fife and a drum. Seriously.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah the crow is just saying "give me thing what makes noise"

In the most old-timey-unintelligible way possible. :darksouls:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The crows are the best characters in the series aside from Gavlan who is basically Gritty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Gavlan who is basically Gritty.

Mind blown

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

pump-a-rum = drum beat
pickle-pee = flute sound

apparently in japanese the onomatopoeias for both sounds are much more obvious :shrug:

if you absolutely don't want to gently caress up greyrat's quest i'd do this: beat the deacons > help your friend in the well (requires buying the 20k soul key and meeting patches and then buying out his inventory > beat the lower swamp boss > beat the catacombs boss > light the very first bonfire outside irithyll > go back to firelink and tell greyrat to go scavenge again > go down to the demon world (NOT irithyll) and kill that boss > pop back to firelink and meet greyrat again.

the main issue is that greyrat can actually fail on his scavenging missions if certain criteria aren't met, so if you want to keep him alive you have to make sure you only send him between certain events.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cool. I’m not too worried about 100%ing all quests the first time through. Goodness knows I missed tons of stuff in the first two games.

Any reason I should pay to cleanse my dark sigil or whatever? It’s crazy expensive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

Cool. I’m not too worried about 100%ing all quests the first time through. Goodness knows I missed tons of stuff in the first two games.

Any reason I should pay to cleanse my dark sigil or whatever? It’s crazy expensive.

It will make you look less like beef jerky

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

dantheman650 posted:

Greirat is one quest I would definitely do, you will miss out on upgrade materials from the merchant if you don’t do the bit Crumbum mentioned, so I’d look up a wiki. Basically if you send him, make sure Siegward is in the same place that he will be going, don’t beat the boss (I think?) amd domt go into Irithyll Dungeon. It’s such a finnicky thing but very worth it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Imhotep posted:

Greirat is one quest I would definitely do, you will miss out on upgrade materials from the merchant if you don’t do the bit Crumbum mentioned, so I’d look up a wiki. Basically if you send him, make sure Siegward is in the same place that he will be going, don’t beat the boss (I think?) amd domt go into Irithyll Dungeon. It’s such a finnicky thing but very worth it.

yeah, the main idea is greyrat only survives his scouting mission to irithyll if certain conditions are met, and if you don't know that ahead of time it can feel very arbitrary and lovely to just have him randomly be dead.

also don't send him to do a scouting mission in lothric castle AFTER irithyll or else he will die for good, and AFAIK there's no combination of events that can prevent this (he always dies scouting lothric castle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, the main idea is greyrat only survives his scouting mission to irithyll if certain conditions are met, and if you don't know that ahead of time it can feel very arbitrary and lovely to just have him randomly be dead.

also don't send him to do a scouting mission in lothric castle AFTER irithyll or else he will die for good, and AFAIK there's no combination of events that can prevent this (he always dies scouting lothric castle).

Right, but unlike most other things like Sirris, or Pale Shade Londor, etc. you might want those upgrade materials. Also, you do actually want to send him, he inevitably dies, but you pick his ashes up and can then buy said upgrade materials from the merchant in Firelink.