Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Demonicpoodle posted:

Her situation's also fun. For someone reading for the first time that gets to the end of Fishman Island when Luffy says he'll beat her rear end up and down the New World, if you asked them "How will things go with Big Mom?" They'd generally of course say "Luffy will defeat her at Whole Cake Island".

Turns out that's nooot at all the case. The one little clash he had with her deflated his rear end in his strongest form immediately, she remains undefeated and then goes on rampaging in Wano.

big mom is the first villain who got so ripshit pissed at luffy she chased him right into the next story arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not ruling out that Luffy solos Kaido but it crippled him for life, thereby allowing weaker villains to continue to present a meaningful threat. That said, many of One Piece's early arcs had Luffy as the clear king shitwrecker of the local neighbourhood and generated tension from the villains going after vulnerable people and/or incapacitating him, so that's a well Oda can return to.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 11, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

there is no goddamn way luffy will get a permanent debuff

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

can't wait to buy my wheelchair luffy figurine in 2020.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Luffy has not really beaten a major opponent one on one since Hody, unless you count Katakuri but that had a lot of complications and it's hard to say Luffy won cleanly. I don't expect this aspect of New World arcs to change and kinda don't want it to. Pirates are about crews, not individuals.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah. There have been shonen manga that have done things like that (Kenshin is the best-known example, I believe, and Gon is still depowered in Hunter x Hunter), but I don't think One Piece will do something like that.

Luffy just isn't going to beat Kaido one-on-one. He might beat Blackbeard or Imu one-on-one later on, but he's not going to reach that level yet.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
kaido might be defeated this arc but certainly not at the hands of luffy alone

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i was curious and it looks like King (Kaidou's nazi bondage pterodactyl number 2 guy) might be (lame speculation) the previous warden of impel down before shiryu. He has the same weird badges that shiryu did, which in turn look similar to the skulls that magellen had. Also would make sense for the previous warden to be into torture given how much magyellen forbade it.

He also looks like a mashup of magellen and Shiryu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah. There have been shonen manga that have done things like that (Kenshin is the best-known example, I believe, and Gon is still depowered in Hunter x Hunter), but I don't think One Piece will do something like that.

Luffy just isn't going to beat Kaido one-on-one. He might beat Blackbeard or Imu one-on-one later on, but he's not going to reach that level yet.

The first example is literally the end of the manga though, and Gon being depowered was to move the spotlight to other characters before his eventual and inevitable return (so long as Togashi doesn't die before). I can't imagine Oda doing the same, simply because One Piece is very much Luffy's Story and thus will continue to hover around Luffy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

well someone needs an eye patch

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I feel like if anyone is going to get an eyepatch / peg leg / hook hand it’ll wind up being Blackbeard. He’s definitely the most “traditional” pirate in One Piece

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Brook will get the eyepatch, even though he has no eyes :yohoho:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Can't believe Zoro opted out of an eyepatch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kild posted:

well someone needs an eye patch

if luffy loses an eye he'll just drink some milk to regenerate it

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Luffy chooses to wear an eyepatch because it looks cool

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was imagining that this was the reason Blackbeard's Post-Timeskip design was kept hidden for so long; he was gonna be the eyepatch pirate since Oda said he was gonna save it for someone special. Who more special than the man named after the most famous pirate to ever live?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Viridiant posted:

Can't believe Zoro opted out of an eyepatch.

That eye's opening up when he fights the mob boss for real

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

U-DO Burger posted:

if luffy loses an eye he'll just drink some milk to regenerate it

That was such a great troll moment.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Shanks, Blackbeard and Akainu at the very least

It’s gonna be something to do with the Rocks pirates. Whoever was in charge of that group probably holds the last road poneglyph

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Blackbeard is gonna get the eyepatch after he frags Shanks

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

HerraS posted:

Blackbeard is gonna get the eyepatch after he frags Shanks

im almost scared that when this arc ends with kaido and big mom down and out luffy finally gets out of wano and finds out that BB already merked shanks while the revolutionaries started war with the WG

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

He will, but it'll be only for the duration of his fight with Blackbeard or whatever arc that may be if Blackbeard figures out how to boost the range or selectively depower fruit users.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm willing to bet pretty hard that the final fight against Blackbeard is gonna be Luffy without his essential elements - no strawhat, no crew, no rubber powers - as as a kind of narrative test of his willpower. I see it going down very similar to the last fight in Baron Omatsuri and Film Z.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Fully expecting the strawhats to pull both Warlords to Blackbeard's place after Mom finds out that Kaidou is hoarding all the food and just Walks In

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

I'm willing to bet pretty hard that the final fight against Blackbeard is gonna be Luffy without his essential elements - no strawhat, no crew, no rubber powers - as as a kind of narrative test of his willpower. I see it going down very similar to the last fight in Baron Omatsuri and Film Z.
But haki already is a narrative manifestation of willpower!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Death Bot posted:

Fully expecting the strawhats to pull both Warlords to Blackbeard's place after Mom finds out that Kaidou is hoarding all the food and just Walks In

I want this to happen now. Just have the rest of the New World as a ridiculous scramble to the end as all the Emperors are all gunning for each other while at the same time chasing down Luffy for being a gigantic spanner in the works. And then Shanks just shows up and is like :stare:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DizzyBum posted:

I want this to happen now. Just have the rest of the New World as a ridiculous scramble to the end as all the Emperors are all gunning for each other while at the same time chasing down Luffy for being a gigantic spanner in the works. And then Shanks just shows up and is like :stare:

While the WG pulls out every stop and probably a couple of ancient superweapons to come after them because on top of likely a massive civil war and/or revolution the last thing they ever want is another Pirate King.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

Bit of a tangent, but in retrospect Baron Omatsuri somehow manages to sort of nail the post-timeskip tone despite coming out in 2006.

Also, it's the best One Piece film and everyone should watch it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have the feeling Sengoku might be the strongest dude on the planet, but is so chill he never really goes full force. We saw him Hulk out a whopping one time, and it seemed like it was some serious goddamn poo poo.

Same deal with Shanks, I bet he’s the strongest of the emperors.

I'm thinking it's something like:

Kaido strongest physically
Blackbeard strongest devil fruit
Shanks strongest haki

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LostRook posted:

I'm thinking it's something like:

Kaido strongest physically
Blackbeard strongest devil fruit
Shanks strongest haki

Big Mom seems to basically average out in all three categories in comparison.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

No Wave posted:

But haki already is a narrative manifestation of willpower!

That's the point.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Tolth posted:

Bit of a tangent, but in retrospect Baron Omatsuri somehow manages to sort of nail the post-timeskip tone despite coming out in 2006.

Also, it's the best One Piece film and everyone should watch it.

Agreed. Mamoru Hosoda needs to direct another One Piece film.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Big Mom seems to basically average out in all three categories in comparison.

mom's devil power sucks if theyre not afraid though

i'm guessing mother carmel didn't get much use out of it except for whatever she took of her own soul

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i'm guessing mother carmel didn't get much use out of it except for whatever she took of her own soul

Anyone not afraid of death, to be clear. I actually think it would work on Blackbeard, but not someone like Kaido.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Hahahahahahaha what?? :allears:

She created an island full of her army, and a weather control system via her power.

E: maybe a better example is the # of people that can fly thanks to their fruits. Enel? Doffy? Cant think of many more, but big mom's fruit does

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 13, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oda claimed years ago there were only 5 flying devil fruit users but I think that just cant be true anymore.

Pell
Marco
King
Kaido
Bigma
Doflamingo

Then you can point out that doflamingo isnt technically flying and bigma isnt technically flying but if people who can grant themselves flight with their df dont count then what was he even tracking, the # of flappy birds? My guess is flight ended up too useful a logistical mechanic to use as sparingly as Oda intended ages ago.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Well theres always the loophole of "Five known devil fruits", and I think Lafitte is definitely one of those since he shows up on the roof of Marijois mysteriously in the same chapter.

Buffalo could fly too, or whatever the rotating man from Dolflamingos family was called.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is smoker a flyer? was ace? wasn't perona always floating?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Karasu. Marco too. I feel like there's a lot. There's bound to be bird zoans out there we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I can't see there being only 5 just from different models of birds, insects, mythical types, ancient types, etc, much less just a "Float Float Fruit" or other weird stuff. But that does seem to be from an era/region when/where knowledge about a bunch of this stuff is super limited. Like how there's legitimately a ton of people who are clueless about haki, not just Luffy being a dope but even Coby needing to be told what it is, even tho it is a major part of the world and now is everywhere.