Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Frozen and Frozen 2 both look like movies that were way cheaper to make than some of the other big Disney properties (like Big Hero 6). A few characters walking around sparsely populated settings. Maybe they are spending money on stuff I'm not noticing, like spending a ton of extra time on the nuances of character animation or the snow and water simulation, etc.

But Frozen had a solid plot, great designs, and top notch songs. Hopefully they can match that in the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
a full Looney Tunes Cartoons short got released, though it's one of the shorter ones, at only 90 seconds

edit:
Now with a convenient youtube release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 12, 2019

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAVID GEMMILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is like seeing a movie with a surprise happy ending

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I don't know music. Does the title of this song explain why Elmer Fudd, hunter, is using a loving scythe?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAVID GEMMILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is like seeing a movie with a surprise happy ending

yep. Ryan Kramer and Kenny Pittenger are the other directors on this we know about, plus Alex Kirwan is supervising director/producer

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

I don't know music. Does the title of this song explain why Elmer Fudd, hunter, is using a loving scythe?

Yeah I found that weird and random as hell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably something that happens in the lead-up?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. There's something about the feel of these things that is too worried on showing that the characters squish and move all the time. Bugs is just all running everywhere at all times so it's just this numb series of explosions with little payoff.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Probably something that happens in the lead-up?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. There's something about the feel of these things that is too worried on showing that the characters squish and move all the time. Bugs is just all running everywhere at all times so it's just this numb series of explosions with little payoff.

I don't think there's a lead-up, just media res.

I felt like the motion was a little too fast, but I don't know enough about the technical side to put it into better words.

Edit: it feels too smooth, like everyone is made of eels

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 12, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Why does Bugs have yellow gloves?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The_Doctor posted:

Why does Bugs have yellow gloves?

A call back to his earliest more screwball appearances where his gloves have a more yellow-ish tinge to them.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't allowed to use guns, although scythe is still a weird choice for an alternative.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Elmer and Yosemite Sam are shown with guns on the official crew t-shirt

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

J-Spot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't allowed to use guns, although scythe is still a weird choice for an alternative.

If the concern is about kids imitating a cartoon, maybe scythes are just a thing they decided looks dangerous but isn't found in American homes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe they read Tails Gets Trolled and thought a scythe is an appropriate weapon for a necromancer.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Elmer has a scythe because hes a hunter in the Bloodborne universe and Bugs is a beast.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Elmer and Yosemite Sam are shown with guns on the official crew t-shirt

All the way on the left looks like Slowpoke Rodriguez, but he appears to be running. There's another mystery mouse in black for some reason.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

All the way on the left looks like Slowpoke Rodriguez, but he appears to be running. There's another mystery mouse in black for some reason.

I think they are supposed to be Hubie and Bertie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kx1TP3SxKI

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

The mice are Hubie and Bertie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubie_and_Bertie

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think they are supposed to be Hubie and Bertie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kx1TP3SxKI

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wile E. Coyote and Ralph Wolf

As an aside, you know which WB toons needa a comeback? These two!

The mustached worm is another one. I have a really big soft spot for a lot of those one-shot styled cartoons they made with characters like this, Hubie and Bertie, and a bunch other oldies about travel, farm life, zoo's and other mundane things made weird via the magic of cartoons.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Toy Story 4 at 100% with 56 reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ugh, what the hell? It’s not mean to be good. It’s meant to be a cheap cash-in we could ignore.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love that one of the marked positive reviews is summarized with "It took Pixar decades of technological innovation, but they finally made a beautiful piece of trash."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Not since Wall-E disposable plastic cutlery have I seen a movie whose merchandising is at odds with itself as much as Toy Story 4 and the $70 Forky dolls.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think about the only thing I'm interested in with Toy Story 4 is the duck and bunny duo. I'd rather the movie was just about them

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like Pixar movies are just about the worst-case scenario for using RottenTomatoes, because even their worst movies have enough admirable qualities that very few mainstream critics are going to say "this is crap, don't watch it". Which is basically the only way to ding that 100% rating.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like Pixar movies are just about the worst-case scenario for using RottenTomatoes, because even their worst movies have enough admirable qualities that very few mainstream critics are going to say "this is crap, don't watch it". Which is basically the only way to ding that 100% rating.

I've come to realize that RT is not a good metric of measurement since it just goes by positive reception and not actual thought. Like, one of the critics gave it a 2.5 which I take as meaning, "Meh, it was fine", but it still contributes to the 100% fresh. This is where Metacritic comes to use as it gives a more rounded score.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i had no idea toy story 4 was already coming out lmao

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sleeveless posted:

Not since Wall-E disposable plastic cutlery have I seen a movie whose merchandising is at odds with itself as much as Toy Story 4 and the $70 Forky dolls.

The Lorax

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Lorax SUV came off less as a boneheaded attempt to make money and more as a direct gently caress You to Seuss's book.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

doomrider7 posted:

I've come to realize that RT is not a good metric of measurement since it just goes by positive reception and not actual thought. Like, one of the critics gave it a 2.5 which I take as meaning, "Meh, it was fine", but it still contributes to the 100% fresh. This is where Metacritic comes to use as it gives a more rounded score.

Forget RT, regular people were raving about Toy Story 3 when it was in theaters and only later did they cool down and realize that most of the movie was a dull rehash of the previous movies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sleeveless posted:

Forget RT, regular people were raving about Toy Story 3 when it was in theaters and only later did they cool down and realize that most of the movie was a dull rehash of the previous movies.

I loved Toy Story 3 :shrug:

Maybe it's cause I just liked Lotso as a villain so much

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A lot of Pixar movies I watch and then never think of them again. 3 is a blank except for the fire scene. For whatever reason, 2 is the one that really sticks with me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

A lot of Pixar movies I watch and then never think of them again. 3 is a blank except for the fire scene. For whatever reason, 2 is the one that really sticks with me.

Same. I liked 3, but liked 2 better.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

Fire scene justified the movie existing though

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fire scene justified the movie existing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFISjORzQs

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

RT does both. They have their positive/negative review scale but they also aggregate an average numerical score too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Same. I like to think it has to do with 2 being a little more light hearted and toy focused.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Toy Story 3 is actually a lot of fun to read into symbolically since it's basically a journey through different ideas of the afterlife, a fitting followup to the existential themes of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
now THIS is how you make a patreon shill video. and there are few more worthy of support than Felix Colgrave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QYxJ69pY0E&hd=1

if somehow you are unfamiliar with his works, he is an incredibly talented surreal animator and has made some of my favorite videos ever. like DOUBLE KING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4&hd=1

the official music video for SOURCE by Fever the Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHFFeQ2tu4&hd=1

and the most recent video commissioned for Cypress Hill's Muggs is Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVb8_ZN9T6g&hd=1

he is absurdly talented, give him your money

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 14, 2019