Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

I prefer Audiotechnica myself. Is there a reason the AT 2020 isn't working for you? Does it need to be off screen?

I would very much like for it to be off screen yes.

thanks for all the names and suggestions lads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In that case, maybe consider the Rode Lavalier lapel mic as well.

A studio mic like the 2020 is designed to hit -12dB at speaking volume with an inch or two of separation. It will sound very distant without being an extremely expensive mic with little noise, an expensive recorder to boost the signal with little to no noise, and a bunch of sound deadening to kill reverb. A shotgun will fare better as it's directionality is much more narrow, but it's not flawless. All of the previous equipment will help it too, but basically reducing distance to a sound source is the best thing you can do to ensure smooth, balanced, audio reproduction.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 22, 2019

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like I should buy some stuff to test. who is the recommended vendor/source for this?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

ilkhan posted:

Why oh why is there is an RF 70-200/2.8 on the horizon and not a 70-200/4? I prefer the smaller and cheaper version, instead of the stupid expensive thing. Wondering how the RF/2.8 is going to compare size wise to the EF/4+adapter combo.

Canon has a patent out for an RF 70-200 f/4. Measures at about 8.5 inches long and looks like it's internal zooming rather than extending as it zooms.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dakana posted:

Canon has a patent out for an RF 70-200 f/4. Measures at about 8.5 inches long and looks like it's internal zooming rather than extending as it zooms.
Interesting. I have the feeling a 100-400 is in the near future and I'll wait for the/4 70-200. But who knows.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried the EF-M 32mm f/1.4? I've been waiting out for a used m50 and there's a kit with it included. I'm really only planning on keeping this until I can get the R for a reasonable price but I seems like a good lens. Still, I'm not sure if there's much demand for a lens that costs more than any of these cheap bodies so I wouldn't want to get stuck with it.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

harperdc posted:

Cameras are probably the highest profile product Canon makes but I wanted to check and see for myself, and if you dig into their annual report you see that the "Imaging products" only make up 25% of sales volume. By comparison, office products are 45% of the sales volume. And remember there are other reports from Japan last year saying Canon was already the biggest mirrorless brand in terms of sales there. EOS M sells a ton to the one-time Nikon D40 and Digital Rebel markets.

My guess? Camera sales shrinking won't help, but it's easier to use a market that is high profile and acknowledged as shrinking as the scapegoat. Nobody will know until the actual reports come out.
lol

Yeah keep on releasing those rebadged 6d2 and 5d4 as rp and r while refusing to pack more features into the hardware to make them at least somewhat competitive.

The hilarious thing is that canon probably already blew their load on the mirrorless bodies for the next year or two while they are being trapped in their plan to milk the consumers with the expensive RF lenses.
The only problem is that no one will buy those RF lenses if people just jump ship to sony.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Encrypted posted:

lol

Yeah keep on releasing those rebadged 6d2 and 5d4 as rp and r while refusing to pack more features into the hardware to make them at least somewhat competitive.
I'm really not much of a sony fan but watching them punish the gently caress out of canikon will never get old.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Encrypted posted:

lol

The hilarious thing is that canon probably already blew their load on the mirrorless bodies for the next year or two while they are being trapped in their plan to milk the consumers with the expensive RF lenses.
The only problem is that no one will buy those RF lenses if people just jump ship to sony.

so it's absolutely impossible that what I said (about Canon's annual full corporate profitability) and you posted (about Sony doing well for a one-month period market share-wise) can't both be right?

Canon's not exactly sprinting out of the gate with its full-frame stuff, but their camera profitability is more likely tied to people buying more or fewer M bodies and kits or Digital Rebels. Which is why they need non-L glass for the RF if they want it to have a future.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

harperdc posted:

so it's absolutely impossible that what I said (about Canon's annual full corporate profitability) and you posted (about Sony doing well for a one-month period market share-wise) can't both be right?

Nah it's totally possible that the overall market is shrinking but just that canon and nikon are shrinking faster with most of the left over buyers choosing other brands.

It might be a good thing and it's similar to how canon came up with 5D4 even though it might have been cannibalizing the 1DX Mk II market.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I have an Canon 80D I also have a YONGNUO YN600EX-RT II.

I want to trigger using radio (no IR) the camera from the flash and vice versa, what gadget do I need?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You need a radio tranceiver. I'm not sure what you mean by 'trigger the camera from the flash', do you mean remotely trigger the camera and the flash? Triggering the flash from the camera is easy. You can just use a single transmitter on the hotshoe as your speedlight has a built in receiver already. To trigger the camera remotely, you need two. One on the hotshoe set to transmitter/receiver mode, and one in your hand in transmitter mode. The one on the hotshoe needs to also be connected to the remote port on the side of your camera. That way, pressing the button on the trigger in your hand will fire both the shutter and the external speedlight.

This is basically what you want - Yongnuo YN622C pair

Edit to link to correct flash triggers.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 8, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Either the 80d is being replaced this year, or the 7D mk 2 is:

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-registers-a-32-5mp-aps-c-dslr-in-taiwan/

That's a lot of pickles

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Either the 80d is being replaced this year, or the 7D mk 2 is:

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-registers-a-32-5mp-aps-c-dslr-in-taiwan/

That's a lot of pickles
Or both.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I'm just an idiot or if canon's website sucks, but I finally got around to setting up my Pixma Pro 10 yesterday. I have a MBP with no optical drive, so I went to the Canon USA page for the printer and tried to download the packages to get the printer going. Downloaded drivers, manuals, and several dumb canon apps, but the printer still wouldn't pop up in system preferences. Finally had to find my old laptop and get the remote disk thingy going. Get the disk image showing on my new computer, go to the correct folder, and it's just a freakin' web link back to Canon's website where I get a package that includes the install software.
THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO AN HOUR AGO AHHHHHHHH

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Helen Highwater posted:

You need a radio tranceiver. I'm not sure what you mean by 'trigger the camera from the flash', do you mean remotely trigger the camera and the flash? Triggering the flash from the camera is easy. You can just use a single transmitter on the hotshoe as your speedlight has a built in receiver already. To trigger the camera remotely, you need two. One on the hotshoe set to transmitter/receiver mode, and one in your hand in transmitter mode. The one on the hotshoe needs to also be connected to the remote port on the side of your camera. That way, pressing the button on the trigger in your hand will fire both the shutter and the external speedlight.

This is basically what you want - Yongnuo YN622C pair

Edit to link to correct flash triggers.

Yeah I essentially want to tripod the camera, manually position the flash and press a button on it and have the flash and camera fire, sounds like that's what I need then.

Thanks

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm pretty sure my t2i is on the fritz, and it's likely that it's just getting old, but I figured I'd ask y'all before taking it in/upgrading. I haven't really been using it much the past two years, but every now and then I like to take it out, and every time I notice something else isn't working properly.

First it was the flash wouldn't trigger. That doesn't bother me because I'm not a flagellant, but it is odd. Next I couldn't keep the shutter open longer than ~15 seconds or use the live view. I get an error 30 warning and followed all of the steps to no avail. Then I started seeing a black bar of varying size on the top of my images. I'm sure that means my shutter is going but I really have no idea. Now I'm trying to find my shutter actuations and the program I downloaded (from Astrojargon) won't help - it's also giving me an error message.

If there's any way to salvage the camera I'm all ears, but I'm not sure it's worth sending it to Canon to fix.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's the typical price for a "near mint" graded used 6D? I have a shop that has one with the box and accessories for $735, and I'm wondering if I should go back and get my first full frame body

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Drunk Badger posted:

What's the typical price for a "near mint" graded used 6D? I have a shop that has one with the box and accessories for $735, and I'm wondering if I should go back and get my first full frame body

It's a touch on the high side compared to what you might be able to find on photography-on-the.net or Fred Miranda buy / sell forums or eBay, but given that it's a local sale and you don't have to deal with PayPal and shipping and all that, it's not terrible. It's definitely better than KEH.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

Just remember that EF lenses are generally much more expensive than EF-S lenses. Not a big deal if you already have L glass, but a bit of a sticker shock if you don't. Looking at the normal zoom range in EF glass reminded me of that lately.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Just remember that EF lenses are generally much more expensive than EF-S lenses. Not a big deal if you already have L glass, but a bit of a sticker shock if you don't. Looking at the normal zoom range in EF glass reminded me of that lately.

I have some EF lenses already that work great on my 7DII, just looking for a full frame body to go with them

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

I have some EF lenses already that work great on my 7DII, just looking for a full frame body to go with them
That's the way to go. Good glass lasts a long time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of the 7D, rumors are firing up that the line of bodies is dead.

https://www.canonrumors.com/rest-well-canon-eos-7d-series-cr2/

Either to be replaced with a mirrorless version or just straight up killed and an 80d successor takes its place.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Speaking of the 7D, rumors are firing up that the line of bodies is dead.

https://www.canonrumors.com/rest-well-canon-eos-7d-series-cr2/

Either to be replaced with a mirrorless version or just straight up killed and an 80d successor takes its place.

So do I scoop up a 7D2 now or wait and see if whatever ends up replacing it is weather sealed? They're going to try and force me into a somehow gimped mirrorless body that's going to need an adapter for EF lenses aren't they.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Given their general fuckery with features who knows what they’ll do with the 7D2’s successor. Probably make it shoot jpeg only or something...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Supposed to be"replaced" by the 90D, but not sure if it has the differences between the 80D and 7D2, dual card and weather sealing. It should have plenty of shooting speed and quality for sports usage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't buy a 7d2 until the 90d is launched or a clear replacement is available. Since this is happening later this year unless you need a sports camera right now I'd wait for the inevitable price drop.

The differences between the 80d and 7d2 are very small and force you to decide what you value more. 80d has more pixels and a better back screen, 7d2 shoots faster and focuses better.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The 90D rumour mill is saying dual card slots and some amount of weather sealing. It seems like a good idea, I'm glad they aren't abandoning the aps-c market entirely.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

So far I've returned two used 70-200mm f/4L IS I lenses from Ebay. The first wouldn't focus manually when pointing above the horizon, and the second wouldn't focus manually at all. It seems like a common f/4L IS issue so I'm looking at alternatives. Would a 2.8L IS II be any more robust, or just more expensive to repair?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

There's almost no reason to sell the 70-200 f/4L IS if it's not broken :v:

They are all supposed to built like tanks and most likely it's just because you are buying poo poo off fleabay. You might still get broken stuff if you are buying the 2.8 II from the same place.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

2.8 might be more robust, but also larger and heavier. Find a good deal on a refurb /4L IS II if you want cheap(ish).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Something like that I’d probably buy from KEH—180 day warranty in case it craps out. I bought a 7D from them last year. USB died after I had it a few weeks. They swapped it out, no questions asked. Paid a bit of a price premium, but had I bought it from some random seller on ebay or whatever I’d have been SOL.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're thinking about the 2.8 give the Tamron or Sigma equivalents a hard look. They're the price of the f4 Canon but review extremely well.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I went with a refurbished 70-200 f/4L IS II from Canon with a warranty.

Lens Rentals shows high failure rates on the original f/4L IS and a bunch of 2.8 zooms. I've had good luck with primes on ebay, but had to return a bad Olympus 12-40mm and Canon 24-105 IS. Not sure if zooms are really that fragile or just get used more.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

loaf posted:

Thanks for the advice. I went with a refurbished 70-200 f/4L IS II from Canon with a warranty.

Lens Rentals shows high failure rates on the original f/4L IS and a bunch of 2.8 zooms. I've had good luck with primes on ebay, but had to return a bad Olympus 12-40mm and Canon 24-105 IS. Not sure if zooms are really that fragile or just get used more.

If this ends up making GBS threads the bed I've got a Sigma 70-200 2.8 I'm looking to get rid of.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So last year prior to a trip to Iceland I bought my first DSLR camera, a Rebel T6. It came with two kit lenses, an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm zoom lens. The pictures turned out great, but now that I have a little more experience under my belt I'm looking to branch out into additional lenses to carry with me. I picked up the 50mm f/1.8 since it's really popular. What would be some other recommended lenses, specifically for travel/landscape photography (I'm headed to Ireland in August)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

18-55 and 75-300 already cover 90% of all the focal lengths you'll ever need so if you absolutely must spend money, spend money buying higher quality versions of those focal lengths.

There is some argument for getting a 10mm ultrawide on a crop sensor, but if you're in a spot where you really gotta have that absurd FOV, just shoot a pano.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

So last year prior to a trip to Iceland I bought my first DSLR camera, a Rebel T6. It came with two kit lenses, an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm zoom lens. The pictures turned out great, but now that I have a little more experience under my belt I'm looking to branch out into additional lenses to carry with me. I picked up the 50mm f/1.8 since it's really popular. What would be some other recommended lenses, specifically for travel/landscape photography (I'm headed to Ireland in August)?
What do you want to shoot that those 3 lenses can't do?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Well he’s obviously missing the 55-75 mm focal length range. All the best photos are taken in that range. That’s probably why his pictures have been mediocre. Get a 65mm prime. It will change your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

ilkhan posted:

What do you want to shoot that those 3 lenses can't do?

I mean, I'm not really sure, hence why I was asking. I know that the basic kit lenses are generally regarded as very entry-level mediocre, and I know there are a ton of different lenses out there, so I was just trying to figure out what would be some good suggestions for a first upgrade, beyond the Nifty Fifty that I had read about a while back. I'm also planning on picking up a nice tripod since I know that will be a boon to long term improvement, but I know there is a separate thread for that kind of gear.