Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"Might or might not be" = Legally it is not Anguirus because the license was not bought from Toho. But certainly that fact does not negate it is Anguirus in spirit and a fun Easter Egg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

why do you refer to it as the Versus series and not its actual title?

Japan’s Heisei Era actually only ended like two months ago, so really everything since Godzilla Vs. Biollante has been a Heisei film. (Gojira 1984, meanwhile, was actually made in the Showa Era).

As with the Showa Series, the categorization used by most people is based mainly on plot continuity. There isn’t much thematic or stylistic difference between Takao Okawara’s three entries in the Versus Series and Masaaki Tezuka’s “Kiryu Saga”, for example. So it’s really more useful to look at the Heisei Series as a much broader category split between Versus and Millenium: pre- and post-Godzilla 1998.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

This picture suggests to me that the real reason Monster Zero here is the villain and Godzilla the hero is that Godzilla doesn't skip leg day!

Look at those twigs he's standing on, get squatting Ghidorah!

This movie was...fine I guess? Not a patch on Godzilla '14 or Kong: Skull Island. Shin Godzilla also shits all over it. I have to ask a question about human plots in films like this. Are they really necessary? Would people wander out of the movie saying "Eh it was ok, but instead of being 100% monster action, I wish there had been some stupid plot about humans trying to save the world by destroying it."

Just once I would like somebody to try to make a movie like this and completely ignore the urge to put in human plots that are required by four quadrant marketing or whatever. I'm pretty convinced it wouldn't hurt the film or it's box office at all.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

garycoleisgod posted:

This picture suggests to me that the real reason Monster Zero here is the villain and Godzilla the hero is that Godzilla doesn't skip leg day!

Look at those twigs he's standing on, get squatting Ghidorah!

This movie was...fine I guess? Not a patch on Godzilla '14 or Kong: Skull Island. Shin Godzilla also shits all over it. I have to ask a question about human plots in films like this. Are they really necessary? Would people wander out of the movie saying "Eh it was ok, but instead of being 100% monster action, I wish there had been some stupid plot about humans trying to save the world by destroying it."

Just once I would like somebody to try to make a movie like this and completely ignore the urge to put in human plots that are required by four quadrant marketing or whatever. I'm pretty convinced it wouldn't hurt the film or it's box office at all.

But having a movie just from the monsters' POV would mean taking a risk and if there's anything Hollywood hates, it's taking risks.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Concept art is always a treat :allears:

At first I thought it looked more alien in this instance, but it kinda reminds me of the MUTOs. In hindsight it makes sense that Monster Zero, as an alien, could conceivably look like a hokey space dragon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

But having a movie just from the monsters' POV would mean taking a risk and if there's anything Hollywood hates, it's taking risks.

More importantly you'd be looking at double or triple the budget.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

It’s folly to divide Kaiju films into separate “human” and “monster” plots in the first place. Don’t let this film’s shoddiness fool you; they really are indivisible, even here (hence the dumb cell-phone video of the family in bear costumes).

Take humans entirely out of a Kaiju film and you just have a cartoon animals movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vinylshadow posted:

Concept art is always a treat :allears:

I kinda like this better.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Something I noticed on a second viewing that made me laugh. When the credits got past the news reel clips and to the cast list, like ALAN JONAH | CHARLES DANCE and such, when it got to the end of the human cast, it went:

GODZILLA | HIMSELF
KING GHIDORAH | HIMSELF
MOTHRA | HERSELF
RODAN | HIMSELF

Total :haw: moment right there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In my head I wanted three things from the credits.

One: to have that badass cover of Godzilla playing over it.

Two: using the same style as the first movie.

Three: doing something as fun and cute as that.

Thanks Mike. You haven’t let me down yet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Concept art from one of the design studios on this page:

https://www.weibo.com/1707342322/Hy...nd1560489041929

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The film helpfully explained an earlier question I had about the MUTOs- how did they reproduce when all they did was give each other a few Eskimo kisses. Judging from what they mosaiced out in the footage, that's exactly how it works with that species.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

That link doesn't work

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

That link doesn't work

It worked for me but it took a while to load, I probably have Chinese spyware bullshit now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the movie iirc ended with Monarch declassifying their monster research I was a bit disappointed that they didn't reverse the blacking out text thing in the credits.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mllaneza posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BySHzr2AU5t/?igshid=xtlq5ri7eoy3

This dude has a couple other paintings of Rodan as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mothra looks like the Brain Bug.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mothra looks like the Brain Bug.

And Rodan looks like, I don't know, Ridley from Metroid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Timby posted:

And Rodan looks like, I don't know, Ridley from Metroid.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw Rodan first show up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I long for a Metroid movie. A movie with no dialog, told visually, as it follows Samus exploring a planet and combatting space pirates and Ridley. Mixing action and zen like moments in extra-terrestrial beauty letting a scene breathe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

I kinda like this better.

Well that wouldn’t have been a retread. The monster designs in this one were a real letdown after the crazy stuff in the last two.

The Ghidorah in Godzilla 2 is ultimately just more boring. They gave him regular-rear end bat wings (effectively just arms) instead of his usual sails, which makes that the design much less alien and more “plausible”. (Ghidorah in Three-Headed Monster has only two limbs, and is implied to use some kind of electromagnetic effect to fly around.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gatts posted:

I long for a Metroid movie. A movie with no dialog, told visually, as it follows Samus exploring a planet and combatting space pirates and Ridley. Mixing action and zen like moments in extra-terrestrial beauty letting a scene breathe.

Tangent but you may want to check out the five part Warhammer 40k fanfilm "Astartes" to see how a well conceptualized and executed film a zero dialogue power armor film can be pulled off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tangent but you may want to check out the five part Warhammer 40k fanfilm "Astartes" to see how a well conceptualized and executed film a zero dialogue power armor film can be pulled off.

Warhammer 40K has kind of a great creative base that, at least from what I've seen, seems in on the joke and does a good job.

EDIT: Astartes was pretty good. I love how the armored marines exuded pure will, commitment and execution to their objective. It showed a kind of singlemindedness that screamed atmosphere.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 15, 2019

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gatts posted:

Only if Gwendoline Christie plays Samus

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Eh. I prefer Elizabeth Debicki but almost anyone can play Samus as long as they'll be good with physical acting, probably through motion capture.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(Ghidorah in Three-Headed Monster has only two limbs, and is implied to use some kind of electromagnetic effect to fly around.)

Not sure about this, but in any event it was sort of amusing to see that the last shots of Ghidorah flying, as he chases Vera Farmiga's character through the streets of Boston, makes him look like a Showa or Heisei flying marionette.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HannibalBarca posted:

Not sure about this, but in any event it was sort of amusing to see that the last shots of Ghidorah flying, as he chases Vera Farmiga's character through the streets of Boston, makes him look like a Showa or Heisei flying marionette.

Point is that the ‘wings’ in the Honda films are actually fins, and practically ornamental. Ghidorah was just this weird dismembered torso on legs - animals with only two limbs are exceedingly uncommon.

The addition of wings brings the design in line with European dragons.

Rather than add wings, if you want to stay truer to the original design, remove the legs entirely and have him inexplicably hover over the ground.

They have the same issue in making Rodan bird-like.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

Showa

Nowhere near stiff enough to be Heisei

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Uma Thurman.

But seeing as how she's the new hollywood hotness Sophie Turner might take the role so she doesn't have to dye her hair red or wear a red wig anymore and she can play the wilting weepy flower Samus from Other M.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Point is that the ‘wings’ in the Honda films are actually fins, and practically ornamental. Ghidorah was just this weird dismembered torso on legs - animals with only two limbs are exceedingly uncommon.

The addition of wings brings the design in line with European dragons.

Rather than add wings, if you want to stay truer to the original design, remove the legs entirely and have him inexplicably hover over the ground.

Uh, okay, whatever.

quote:

They have the same issue in making Rodan bird-like.

This, yeah, I agree with that. Although I appreciate that they gave up on some of the first draft concept art that made him look more bird-like, with feathers and that sort of thing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sacrilege I’m sure, but I actually thought this was the first movie ever where Ghidorah looked good. The two-legged, two-tailed, no-armed, three-headed thing just never played very well for me with suit and wires.

I loved the way he walked on the ground using his wings, like Vermithrax in Dragonslayer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just watched Shin Godzilla for the first time and goddamn that movie is rock solid. They get that in order to make the human plot interesting, it has to be about humanity and not specific humans. Yeah, we see the plot through only a couple of characters, but they're standing in for everyone else and we don't really deal with their personal issues at all. Their ambitions and manipulation of the situation for personal gain is representative of everyone else doing the same thing and that's why we don't really get any closure on it. Whether or not they become president or prime minister is irrelevant to the story of Shin Godzilla.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaaaaas

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just watched Shin Godzilla for the first time and goddamn that movie is rock solid. They get that in order to make the human plot interesting, it has to be about humanity and not specific humans. Yeah, we see the plot through only a couple of characters, but they're standing in for everyone else and we don't really deal with their personal issues at all. Their ambitions and manipulation of the situation for personal gain is representative of everyone else doing the same thing and that's why we don't really get any closure on it. Whether or not they become president or prime minister is irrelevant to the story of Shin Godzilla.

It’s just vital context.

Like, again, with Ghidorah’s first appearance in The Three-Headed Monster, the monsters don’t show up for the first half-hour or so. And it’s great!

After Mothra has attacked the US and subdued Godzilla in the previous films, the fairies from Infant Island are (still) trying to spread their message of universal love, but they’re relegated to a variety show about washed-up celebrities ‘for housewives’. The cop protagonist would rather watch a news program about the government’s foreign policy.

In a vital point apparently removed from the American version, the fictional third-world nation of Selgina is the site of some Cold War proxy conflict. Princess Selina, to escape the two superpowers, has ‘gone crazy’ and become a full-on leftist - Christian radical, a prophet. In the words of the Flying Saucer Club president, Selina escaped into a gap between dimensions: “between the two worlds” and emerged as a new being, a nameless vagrant.

(The Fairies seem almost annoyed with Selina because they can only deal in the present - they can’t see the future. Selina is a much more radical figure. But the Fairies believe her, and it saves their lives.)

In Godzilla 2, the newscaster gravely intones that Earth’s population has spent five years in an incredible new world where “monsters are real”, but it’s like the hollow Earth exposition: there’s zero relevance to the actual story. There’s no reason why the ancient underwater city can’t just be a cave, because it is just a cave. We don’t see any people.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

okay he's just making stuff up I understand why people don't like him now.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
It is easier for me to believe that Godzilla used a hollow earth jet-stream that this movie and the in-universe movie released before it set up to fast travel crocodile-tackle Ghidorah in the open ocean than it is for me to believe that he whatever thing you are going to say he did instead. I invoke the film version of Occam's razor, even if it sounds insane to do that for a giant monster movie that takes place in an alternate universe earth where creatures can outlast geologic strata. You cannot hurt me anymore, ghosts. I still like the movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

okay he's just making stuff up I understand why people don't like him now.

SMG is a smart dude, but that doesn't mean he's always right.

And sometimes instead of using his learnin' to do right, he just gets a bug up his rear end and tries to do the dumbest readings of a movie while also pretending to still be serious and sincere and see who falls for it

The moment he opened with "this movie is incomprehensible" was the big clue

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This feels a little like writing a book report on the Cliff's Notes, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

This feels a little like writing a book report on the Cliff's Notes, though.

Yeah it should. That's SMG's gimmick when he's in moods like this.

He purposely makes things obtuse and misremembers and misinterprets things and argues 100% in bad faith

There's no reasoning and no debating him because he's not coming from a point where you can debate him. He is making his exaggerated hyperbolic view of the film known and waiting for people to call him on it so he can go deeper into his garbled nonsense well of bullshit and fuckery

It's great when you don't like the movie he's complaining about, not so much when it gets turned around on you.

Though if you're arguing about why a movie isn't good and then he barges in with his wall of nonsense, that also gets irritating because it makes it look like EVERYONE saying negative things and critiquing the film is saying nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I can take or leave his interpretation of KOTM, but (purposefully?) misremembering Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster is where I draw the line.