Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

grilled radicchio or even romaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

ty manifisto

poverty goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjBEY_3qCI

Manifisto

whoa . . . based on that I'm sure you would never find grilled romaine at a ramsay restar--

http://www.nyctastes.com/2012/01/restaurant-week-at-maze-gordon-ramsey.html

. . . oh wait

the show's p good sometimes but the way he obviously stages things goes over the top occasionally and this moment, which I'd seen before, always stood out to me. I actually prefer the british version, the american producers seem to push and edit him to come across as particularly harsh rather than using occasional harshness as one technique in his arsenal

Manifisto

gordon ramsay: what??? the chef paired steak with potatoes????

[stands up on chair and taps glass] excuse me . . . excuse me . . . has everyone here ever heard of anything so epically fucktarded as steak with potatoes?

[the crowd in the restaurant looks around nervously, one of them smiles weakly at the camera in a vain effort to defuse the awkwardness]

ramsay: I DIDN'T THINK SO [throws plate to the ground, smashing it into tiny shards that fly everywhere and cover the other patrons with debris]

[looks at chef] YOU . . . . loving . . . . DONKEY!!

[looks straight at camera, winks]

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
Arugula is good, just not by itself, you need complimentary flavours. Like the other night I made a salad with arugula, fennel, orange slices, dried cranberries and an orange vinaigrette.

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
Fennel is underrated, more people need to use fennel. It’s good both raw and roasted!

alnilam

This post brought to you by the Fennel Growers Council

poverty goat

I have no idea what to do with fennel. Help

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

big food suggestion: use beet greens and stems in a salad. the greens taste a bit like chard, and the stems are like sweet celery but magenta or bright yellow or orange instead of green or pink.

also a big fan of roasting fennel with sausages (use italian sausage, meat or vegan are both great), cabbage chunks and thick slices of onion and whole garlic cloves. also fennel is great in basically every stew, every soup--even summer cold soups--and you can make a badass marinated salad with it to put into chopped salads.

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

hamjobs posted:

Wait, RLF: do you like beets?

I can't recall when I ever ate one in the last like... hell idk... 15 years?

I had borscht once and seem to recall it being pretty good but that was a long time ago.

I'll have to try one and see; I've branched out a lot in my food choices as an adult.

alnilam

Roasted bets are extremely good do NOT be deceived by salad bar tier pickled beets from a can :barf:

Finger Prince

Manifisto posted:

gordon ramsay: what??? the chef paired steak with potatoes????

[stands up on chair and taps glass] excuse me . . . excuse me . . . has everyone here ever heard of anything so epically fucktarded as steak with potatoes?

[the crowd in the restaurant looks around nervously, one of them smiles weakly at the camera in a vain effort to defuse the awkwardness]

ramsay: I DIDN'T THINK SO [throws plate to the ground, smashing it into tiny shards that fly everywhere and cover the other patrons with debris]

[looks at chef] YOU . . . . loving . . . . DONKEY!!

[looks straight at camera, winks]

Gordon Ramsey used to have a pub where I used to live. I went to it once. It was overpriced and mediocre, and for being a "gastropub" in London, had a shockingly poor beer selection. Like good job you've got London pride, well you'd loving better since they brew it across the road. Oh and you've got the multi-lager tap! How adventurous.
Anyway it went out of business.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Resting Lich Face posted:

I can't recall when I ever ate one in the last like... hell idk... 15 years?

I had borscht once and seem to recall it being pretty good but that was a long time ago.

I'll have to try one and see; I've branched out a lot in my food choices as an adult.

Big fan of my Nana's borsch. It's a thin clear broth either made with bones or just veg, with big chunks of tender beets, onions, taters and sometimes sweet turnips. You can add the greens to it from the beets or even fresh spinach and it's healthy but also tastes good af.

My pickled beets don't suck but I make them from scratch from homegrown beets and then vacuum seal the little bastards for freezing or fridging. They stay textured and delicious and crisp. You can can them, but I recommend cold pack so they don't taste like mooshy buttholes.

poverty goat

I have 2 basil plants that are going for the world record apparently which would be fine, but they're starting to steal sun from my serranos which are also very ambitious this year. what's there to do with a gratuitous amount of fresh basil? pickled basil? basil preserves?

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Thai curry loves basil.

Speaking of. I meant to do a high effort post tonight on how I make curry but I am drunk and just started cooking and now I'm like half done so oh well

Finger Prince

poverty goat posted:

I have 2 basil plants that are going for the world record apparently which would be fine, but they're starting to steal sun from my serranos which are also very ambitious this year. what's there to do with a gratuitous amount of fresh basil? pickled basil? basil preserves?

Lemme tell you about the Good Word (it is pesto)

Basically get a bunch of pine nuts, toast em in a pan or toaster oven for a bit, shred up a bunch of real deal parmigiano reggiano DO fuckin P, mince up some garlic, all that basil, bit o sea salt flakes, chuck all that poo poo in the biggest mortar you got with a good old glug glug glug of olive oil and mash it up like it's fuckin Port of Spain carnival. Then add some more olive oil.
You can use a blender too, probably a stick blender would be better.

Resting Lich Face

gently caress yeah pesto +1 on that

Finger Prince

So, what to do with that pesto? I mean, pasta, sure. You can spread it on breads as like a part of a sort of like a chaucuterie for lunch, all kinds of stuff.
Now, I don't know what you've been told about gnocchi, probably boil them right? Hell naw. Fry those guys in a bit of olive oil and butter until they're nicely toasty golden brown, then spoon a big dollop of your fresh pesto in there, swish it around, put it on a plate and eat the gently caress out of that basil gnocchi. Toss some finely diced Pancetta bits in the pan just before you add the pesto, or crisp them up separately and sprinkle on top for extra bonus points.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 14, 2019

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
freshly made pesto is so much better than store bought and i'm normally not a snob about that kinda poo poo at all, but the difference is like whoa if you're using fresh picked basil

poverty goat posted:

I have no idea what to do with fennel. Help

cut the ends and the hard core bits out, cut into thin slices, toss it with olive oil, finely grated parmasan, salt and pepper and some garlic, roast it at 425 for 25 mins

alnilam

Make a the pesto then can it or fer3ze in ice cubes, we usually do the latter :effort: it works really well

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If you ain't making pho you are missing the gently caress out on a basil flavor explosion

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

You should be trimming/using basil as it grows anyway. Once the stems get woody and the plant flowers the flavor of the leaves change. It's still good mind you but is sharper and less delicate than younger leaves.

Resting Lich Face

This discussion has made me realize I should start growing my own basil.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

everyone please for the love of god grow some herbs, it is ezpz and will completely up the cooking game for you

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

also if you do not hate onions or spring onions or scallions or whatever you wanna call them and you are not saving the butt (root end) plus about a quarter to half inch of the white bit to sprout into new onions by the magic of a tiny bit of water in a glass and a darkish place in your kitchen you're going to vegetable hell

poverty goat

I'm growing some fenugreek and curry leaf since I cant buy them in VA. The fenugreek is dragging rear end after repotting but it's finally starting to go now so hopefully it was just waiting to get roots established. Anyone ever grown a curry leaf? I dunno how soon is too soon to steal some leaves

Resting Lich Face

Been a while since I hosed up. Burned the garlic in tonight's dinner (stuffed shells with vodka sauce) and that's all I could taste.

The real shame is the vodka sauce was brilliant before it was added to the whole dish.

Pisses me off though... so much time for lovely food.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2019

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Been a while since I hosed up. Burned the garlic in tonight's dinner (stuffed shells with vodka sauce) and that's all I could taste.

is this u

https://i.imgur.com/EvRDOzw.gifv

Resting Lich Face

Greetings yobs! I am cooking today and preparing a big fancy effortpost just for you :)

Goons Are Gifts

Super excited, can we already get hints of what it will be?? Will it be super spicy? Or sweet and calming? Does it make happy?

FutonForensic

lmao

Resting Lich Face

As usual the stew meat is taking a loving eternity to tender up.

I shoulda just diced up a few cheap steaks instead.

Resting Lich Face

CHILE COLORADO

First, we get some chiles. Ancho, guajillo, and japones.

Remove them seeds, then boil

take off heat, sit for 20 mins, covered.

Into the food processor with some cumin, salt, garlic, and oregano. And a cup of satan's dip spit we made in the last step.

Strain out the solids and we get a substance not unlike my morning poo poo after a night of hard drinking

Oh poo poo son, it's beef time

Toss in a bit of flour and brown yo meat. Don't skip it; it's free flavor

Into the pot with broth, and the chile sauce we made earlier. Time to boil until roughly half of an eternity has elapsed.

Gettin there

Home stretch! Look at that tortilla puff up. NWS for inflation fetish

Foood

Resting Lich Face

It's almost too rich and delicious.

Finger Prince

drat son, is that beef all pulled apart, or still big hunks?

Resting Lich Face

It came apart near the end.

Goons Are Gifts

gently caress that looks amazing

Resting Lich Face

Sharp eyes will notice there's some spanish rice cooking but shown nowhere else.

We will not be discussing the spanish rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Sharp eyes will notice there's some spanish rice cooking but shown nowhere else.

We will not be discussing the spanish rice.

This is why I use my Breville Fast Slow Pro™ so my rice comes out perfect with no effort every time