Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Current favorite thing to have done: snuck into blue spawn on Mountain Pass with a toolbox and stuck up rows of spikes where they jump out. Got maybe 5 kills in the span of a few seconds.

Usually it's epic troll engineers on your own side that do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Even if I pick up a shield off the battlefield I'll just wear it on my back because whether it's a parry shield or a blocking shield it feels like it will just be a crutch and cause bad habits. Besides stopping arrows, I think blocking shields can have a unique tactical niche by presenting an annoying obstacle/distraction in team fights, but that's about it.

I actually relish fighting blocking shield users 1v1 because they're way more susceptible to kicks but not any better at defending themselves than most players without shields.

If blocking shields could still parry with a properly timed click I think they'd be way more useful. Right now they seem like a liability most of the time.

EDIT: I guess blocking shields are kind of like a hard counter to weapon feints since you aren't penalized for guessing wrong, but someone savvy enough to feint properly is savvy enough to trick you into eating boot instead.

timn fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 13, 2019

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

timn posted:

Even if I pick up a shield off the battlefield I'll just wear it on my back because whether it's a parry shield or a blocking shield it feels like it will just be a crutch and cause bad habits. Besides stopping arrows, I think blocking shields can have a unique tactical niche by presenting an annoying obstacle/distraction in team fights, but that's about it.

I actually relish fighting blocking shield users 1v1 because they're way more susceptible to kicks but not any better at defending themselves than most players without shields.

If blocking shields could still parry with a properly timed click I think they'd be way more useful. Right now they seem like a liability most of the time.

EDIT: I guess blocking shields are kind of like a hard counter to weapon feints since you aren't penalized for guessing wrong, but someone savvy enough to feint properly is savvy enough to trick you into eating boot instead.

Hello, new to the game. How do I tell in-game which shield is blocking/parrying?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

rarbatrol posted:

Hello, new to the game. How do I tell in-game which shield is blocking/parrying?

"Is block held" in advanced stats.

Heater Shield - can hold block
Kite Shield - can hold block
Targe - no block hold (increased parry window)
Buckler - no block hold (increased parry window)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Am I crazy or has Frontline in the last few days gone to like, 75% of non-archers running Polearms, Spears, and War Axes? I think I have like, 2 or 3 sword duels a game now and the rest is spent fighting those.

Did they buff them this patch?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The nature of frontline favors weapons with high reach and high damage.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They actually made a lot of pole-weapons worse, nerfing stabs, the things they're best at. No idea why the war axe is seeing more use.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like war axe cuz its high damage and you can swing it but its explicitly not a pole arm and won't clip into the dirt ten feet to your left.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

Am I crazy or has Frontline in the last few days gone to like, 75% of non-archers running Polearms, Spears, and War Axes? I think I have like, 2 or 3 sword duels a game now and the rest is spent fighting those.

I've also noticed this, I'm dying continually to wide polearm sweeps/chops in big fights in ways I never was before.

Also, if like me the patch before patch 7 tanked your FPS, you might try downgrading your video drivers if nvidia. I went back to 399.24 and reinstalled the game and it's behaving for now.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TheAardvark posted:

As has been mentioned, polearms and spears actually got significantly worse since the patch, but I think a lot of people were inspired to try them out due to the amount of horses on Crossroads and found that they liked them, and now you see them all over the place. The good news is that polearms are pretty easy to chamber and punish with a morph-accel, since most new users stab roughly 99% of the time. The bad news is that they won't be new users forever, and once they start mixing it up, things get more difficult.

Shield talk: Learning to morph to a kick will change your life when dealing with shield users.

Use whatever weapon you like, they're all good to great, and you will be insulted for being good with literally anything and everything. The one thing you have to be careful of is becoming reliant on a one trick pony weapon, but then again, if you enjoy it and are having fun, gently caress it. Use what you like. (There really aren't any one trick pony weapons, just people who only use one trick with certain weapons)

cerebral fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 14, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Game keeps launching at 1366x768 instead of 1920x1080, I have to manually apply it every single time. Can I force it with launch parameters or something? I tried changing all the resolution lines in GameUserSettings.ini to no avail.

And is there an advanced tweaking guide somewhere? Performance goes down the shitter on the new map especially. I don't mean those "Disable everything or put it on low" competitive guides, something that'll give me 60 fps without sacrificing visual fidelity. Older Unreal games had a shitload of .ini tweaks to squeeze more frames out of them.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 14, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Quote is not edit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they poo poo up my fav weapon the spear with the alt grip :( loving mook game devs

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm glad I've never clicked with the spear because I'd be unable to play without the $40,000 gold skin, and I like playing dress up too much to horde enough gold for that.

Someone give me a good idea on how to harass enemy archers. Now that they can run away, they're starting to creep closer to the point and hence becoming an actual threat, and I want to punish them for their life-choices.

I've spent roughly 10 minutes playing archer, so I really don't know much about what they hate.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 14, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

cerebral posted:

As has been mentioned, polearms and spears actually got significantly worse since the patch, but I think a lot of people were inspired to try them out due to the amount of horses on Crossroads and found that they liked them, and now you see them all over the place. The good news is that polearms are pretty easy to chamber and punish with a morph-accel, since most new users stab roughly 99% of the time. The bad news is that they won't be new users forever, and once they start mixing it up, things get more difficult.

Shield talk: Learning to morph to a kick will change your life when dealing with shield users.

Use whatever weapon you like, they're all good to great, and you will be insulted for being good with literally anything and everything. The one thing you have to be careful of is becoming reliant on a one trick pony weapon, but then again, if you enjoy it and are having fun, gently caress it. Use what you like. (There really aren't any one trick pony weapons, just people who only use one trick with certain weapons)

I actually started noting down my deaths and kills, and I'm at over 9/10 people I fight as "long-ranged weapons", spears/poleaxes and waraxes.

I just played three games in a row on different sides/different weapons I was playing (exo, zwei, bastard) and had one fight out of fifty that were against someone with a sword or hammer or whatever. Seems like the entire game is now long-range poke. I've gotten really good at fighting them, but they are definitely good at doing uncounterable 3v1s. It feels a little lovely, there's so many times when delayed spears can block you and murder you.

edit: like before, I could be in a 3v1 and do the right parries to defend them. Last couple days I have to just go super defensive because I know as soon as I do anything other than parry, the 3 other guys around me will stab me.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 14, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The real medieval war meta shining through.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It doesn't feel like I'm getting murdered because I"m bad anymore. It feels like I'm getting murdered because I'm not playing spears/long range and there's absolutely nothing I can do to counter it. I got murdered loving loads when the game first came out for reasons that I could do better at. Now I just die to 4-5 people with long ranged weapons, and my only option is not fighting unless I have complete advantage. That doesn't seem very fun for anyone involved.

Is it fun for the spear boys at least? will it make a long term game?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

It doesn't feel like I'm getting murdered because I"m bad anymore. It feels like I'm getting murdered because I'm not playing spears/long range and there's absolutely nothing I can do to counter it. I got murdered loving loads when the game first came out for reasons that I could do better at. Now I just die to 4-5 people with long ranged weapons, and my only option is not fighting unless I have complete advantage. That doesn't seem very fun for anyone involved.

Turns out that reach is king in group melee combat. If it makes you feel any better, real historical polearms were much longer than they are in this game. Buck up soldier.

cerebral posted:

Someone give me a good idea on how to harass enemy archers. Now that they can run away, they're starting to creep closer to the point and hence becoming an actual threat, and I want to punish them for their life-choices.

I've spent roughly 10 minutes playing archer, so I really don't know much about what they hate.

Javelins are like infinitely long spears that one shot up to T2 helmets and two shot everything else. Losing most of your health in a blink of the eye tends to ruffle some feathers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
So is the game just destined to be 90% polearms? for historical accuracy?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I had huge amounts of fun when I was constantly fighting people in sword combat. :shrug: I really hope we don't have to accept that we all have to pick the weapons that were Historically Accurately Good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd have less of a problem with the forest of spears and polearms if getting in under their reach actually mattered in this game, as it is it just makes their stabs more deadly.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This must be a US/Europe phenomenon because on the Australian servers there's still a healthy mix of everything from what I've seen.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TheAardvark posted:

I actually started noting down my deaths and kills, and I'm at over 9/10 people I fight as "long-ranged weapons", spears/poleaxes and waraxes.

I just played three games in a row on different sides/different weapons I was playing (exo, zwei, bastard) and had one fight out of fifty that were against someone with a sword or hammer or whatever. Seems like the entire game is now long-range poke. I've gotten really good at fighting them, but they are definitely good at doing uncounterable 3v1s. It feels a little lovely, there's so many times when delayed spears can block you and murder you.

edit: like before, I could be in a 3v1 and do the right parries to defend them. Last couple days I have to just go super defensive because I know as soon as I do anything other than parry, the 3 other guys around me will stab me.

Waraxe is the short one, so I'm guessing you mean Battle Axe?

Out of the three weapons you're playing, 1v 1, Exo is meat against a good polearm, unless you're really good with your morphs and able to stand and fight long enough to make them respect your stabs as something other than the beginning of a feint or morph. If it's 1vX, you're going to have to rely on chopping a multiple heads with riposte target switch, and try to make sure you have good head armor so someone doesn't just pop your noggin with a lucky poke.

Zwei is a good choice because it's good against pretty much everything, but the Bastard is the great choice against the a polearm. What you give up in range, you more than make up for in speed, and a stab off a riposte is going to ruin a lot of people's days. Also, remember those spear users are probably not wearing decent leg armor, so a good swipe to the leg is going to set you up for a 2 hit kill.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I still feel like more than anything I encounter zweihanders left, right and centre.

I’d complain but all my favourite weapons are polearms because none of the swords feel quite “right” to me though longsword is close.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The maul is still my go-to weapon, so many people in frontlines fail to appreciate how long the windup is and end up panic parrying too early.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Messer is life. Although the cosmetics aren't as dope as they need to be.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am having a good time with my new best friend Heavy Handaxe

Wish there were better chain options. The chain jacket is cool but that's really it. The chainmail tabard looks like it would be fine if you removed all the cloth and just kept the chain and leather straps.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

Messer is my kryptonite, everything about it just fucks me up. The morphs freeze me up and the slashes can come out so quick that even if I don't bite on a feint, I still get caught all the time by the followup, which is usually a super quick slash or a low slash that I SHOULD be able to catch, but inevitably I don't.

I think my main problem with the Messer is that you just don't see it that much in Frontline, so when you do, it's inevitably someone who is just out of a duel server, so not only am I not used to the timing or the weapon, even if I was, the person wielding said weapon is probably going to take my lunch money.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

NigelThornberry posted:

If I post 2 handed gifs someone will call me out for that too. Is there any right way to play this game?

Yes; in first person mode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

How can you say this when it has one of the game's greatest skins? Fillet-messer + meat crusher-cleaver for mad chef gone amok (if only you could also carry a frying pan in this arrangement)

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Borsche69 posted:

Yes; in first person mode.

I don't see any point in playing in first person for frontline.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

NigelThornberry posted:

I don't see any point in playing in first person for frontline.

only when using ballista because the third person for that thing is god awful.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
Yeah I took your guy's advice on the spear meta. I went from a decent 1.5 KD player to beasting with 3.0 KD, just spear + fast regen perk. I just don't see the downside - really powerful , quick stab esp if facing down, chamber face huggers or kick them, anyone who tries to outrange you is gg and you can easily gently caress sword players up by swinging at them since they don't expect you to. In frontline its the perfect weapon.

I also learned to duck under double handers attacking me, it works 75% of the time and totally catches them off guard.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you want to gently caress up groups of people with polearms run a rapier, buckler, 1/1/1, and rush with whatever else you want. You can close in and switch between targets headstabbing them until they're all dead, just make sure that they don't directly surround you and you're fine. Hug one and use him to block the others, and either just wildly stab them in the face or block one and riposte into another's face if you ever get the opportunity for it.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
Whats the purpose a buckler, does it speed up ripostes?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gives you the parry profile of a much larger weapon. Better parry angles all around, and less stamina drain for you. Plus, if for whatever reason you do run out of stamina, it's the first thing to do, leaving you with your weapon.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

I get that you really like swords but maybe consider playing with the weapons that are giving you so much grief. It's very easy to blame your opponent's weapon choice instead of admitting that you might not be quite as good as you think you are. Learning the strengths and weaknesses firsthand of the stuff that's tripping you up is a good way to shake off that mindset and will leave you better prepared to combat them when you encounter them again.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I find myself unable to pick a load out lately that doesn't have bloodlust, especially now that I've started getting better at the game. I don't necessarily think it's overpowered but it's a complete gamechanger because it means I can keep going after every fight I win, even if it's 1vX. When I started playing it didn't seem *that* good and I'd rather take points in something that would help me win a fight, but now that I'm better and win the majority of my 1v1s it feels almost necessary to take if I want to win 2, 3 or 4 fights.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

So is the game just destined to be 90% polearms? for historical accuracy?

It's weird, because I actually have sort of the opposite complaint, in that the game seems a bit sword-biased. :v:

But really, when you get down to it, there aren't all that many differences in the end. For nearly every polearm there's a sword which fills about the same role, and vice versa. Billhook or Short Spear stabbing you in the dick? Rapier and Estoc offer similarly good thrusting. Poleaxe a pain? Grab that Longsword. War/Battle Axe cleaving you apart? Messer is your friend. Halberd or Bardiche being a burden? There are the Executioner and Zweihänder right there. And if those aren't quite what you're looking for, there are still the Arming-, Bastard-, and Greatsword around to fine-tune your speed to murder ratio. The only real exception is the long Spear since nothing else has quite as much range, but that's decently offset by it being fairly specialised.

One thing to keep in mind is that the weapons are explicitly balanced against their point value. So if you're wielding a 2-point Arming Sword but are up against an 11-point Halberd, then yes, you are supposed to have less raw offensive power. In that case, you'll have to make up the difference with whatever else you bought with your remaining points, like a shield, better armour, or some perk.

But anyways, new map is surprisingly fun for clowning on would-be horselords who think footmen are easy prey:
https://i.imgur.com/ZfPAMEu.mp4
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly if you want to avoid the polearm meta that's brewing, just use an actual shield (a hold one) and a mace. gently caress's literally everyone up in two swings and if you get a group of stabbers you can generally hold em off for a few seconds, which if you're not completely alone is enough.