Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dazerbeams posted:

Isn't part of the problem that if we try and replace our soy/corn/beef/chicken set up with a variety of crops that could comparably sustain us, we're run out of viable farm land before coming close to being able to feed everyone?

That just means we need less people. Don't worry it'll work itself out.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

Isn't part of the problem that if we try and replace our soy/corn/beef/chicken set up with a variety of crops that could comparably sustain us, we're run out of viable farm land before coming close to being able to feed everyone?

the amount of land we'd use would go down if we ate less meat, not go up. Beef requires far more feed per pound of gain than chicken does, also. You could argue our monoculture dependence is a bad thing or whatever, but farmers will grow whatever sells at the highest price and the market tells them what they're growing.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The large majority of all crops grown go to feed cattle

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
we need those cattle to eat more vegetables. im getting vitamin deficiencies over here

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I’m gonna run an underground black market hot dog cartel when bugs are mandated and meat is outlawed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

amusinginquiry posted:

I’m gonna run an underground black market hot dog cartel when bugs are mandated and meat is outlawed

How about a literal underground burger market.

Like in Demolition Man.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It was my understanding that we pretty much only grow corn or soy on a large scale these days, and that it works so well because they’re super hearty. But cut out beef and we’d need a ridiculous amount of lettuce/beets/whatever to balance out the calorie deficit. And all those non corn and soy crops are more difficult to grow and would require a hell of a lot more land than what’s currently being taken up by cows and corn/soy. I will readily admit I’m not too educated on this matter though. I mean yeah, just stopping beef consumption would free all that pasture space up but...what could grow there instead? And we can’t just leave a food source vacuum.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
haven't you been listening we would eat roaches like some kind of post apoc hell dystopia. but they would be processed and farmed so you would barely know it

you know what i like about beef, that you can't get from bugs? heme iron

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

It was my understanding that we pretty much only grow corn or soy on a large scale these days, and that it works so well because they’re super hearty. But cut out beef and we’d need a ridiculous amount of lettuce/beets/whatever to balance out the calorie deficit. And all those non corn and soy crops are more difficult to grow and would require a hell of a lot more land than what’s currently being taken up by cows and corn/soy. I will readily admit I’m not too educated on this matter though. I mean yeah, just stopping beef consumption would free all that pasture space up but...what could grow there instead? And we can’t just leave a food source vacuum.

most cattle spend I think spend a year on pasture and then they're sent to feedlots and fed as much as they can to maximize weight gain, and afaik the vegetarian industrial complex has numerous studies that answered your question. There are giant acreages of feed corn but that's just to harvest and immediately ship it to the feed lots. I have no idea if those studies talked about ethanol either, which uses more corn than animal feed. That's why something even as basic as burger tastes way different from free range than your standard pink slime shitburg.

quote:

Although U.S. corn is a highly productive crop, with typical yields between 140 and 160 bushels per acre, the resulting delivery of food by the corn system is far lower. Today’s corn crop is mainly used for biofuels (roughly 40 percent of U.S. corn is used for ethanol) and as animal feed (roughly 36 percent of U.S. corn, plus distillers grains left over from ethanol production, is fed to cattle, pigs and chickens). Much of the rest is exported. Only a tiny fraction of the national corn crop is directly used for food for Americans, much of that for high-fructose corn syrup.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

:rolleyes:

I was being glib. I just like reminding people the Edison was a tremendous rear end in a top hat who electrocuted an elephant.

Although it should also pointed out that all Thomas Edison had to do with it is that his film company filmed the event.

Topsys execution was the idea of two other men and has nothing to do with the AC vs DC war that it had become misattributed too.

He may have been an rear end in a top hat for other reasons, but electrocuting an elephant is not one of them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dazerbeams posted:

You're just totally completely wrong. What do you think the efficiency of a cow is, in turning calories into calories? Could we instantly stop eating beef tomorrow? No, it would take a bit of time to convert. But the idea that meat is in any way an efficient way of getting calories is just...

Oh, maybe you're just trolling. Please tell me you're trolling and I fell for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

naem
May 29, 2011

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

You're just totally completely wrong. What do you think the efficiency of a cow is, in turning calories into calories? Could we instantly stop eating beef tomorrow? No, it would take a bit of time to convert. But the idea that meat is in any way an efficient way of getting calories is just...

Oh, maybe you're just trolling. Please tell me you're trolling and I fell for it.

yes because a calorie is a calorie *puts down treebark sandwich*

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I ate a grasshopper taco in NYC once and it might as well have been meat except it was full of exoskeleton bits that got stuck in my teeth and the back of my throat like bits of popcorn kernel. so, still much better than tofu

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I wasn’t trolling, but this made me smile for sure.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

pseudanonymous posted:

DnD style poster, I demand you post a funny cow and insect picture itt. 60 minutes. No words.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

poverty goat posted:

are you suggesting that our european ancestors, whose lasting contributions include art depicting buffalo hunts and a number of extinct species of megafauna, were vegetarians
No.

If you could explain how what I wrote made you think I was suggesting that I would really appreciate it.

Edit: and I suppose in the meantime I'll explain how I was not suggesting that. My negation of "our ancestors ate lots and lots of meat and that's how we got brains" was not "our ancestors were vegetarians", it was "our ancestors probably ate less meat than 'lots and lots', and/or there is no real reason to believe that brains were in any way a consequence of what meat they did eat, and there are valid reasons to not believe it." More importantly, I was suggesting that "a scientific fact" is a very different thing from "a thing some researcher claimed one time." Most importantly of all, I was suggesting that the person stating that the meat=brains nonsense was "a scientific fact" is a jerk for doing that. I hope this is a clearer explanation that won't be mistaken for a completely different claim that centers around a word I didn't even use.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 14, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
All these DnD posters suck poo poo.

“Ugh why are you posting straw men, weren’t you in debate?”

“No you are totally wrong my giant logic brain says so”

“Oh please don’t tell me you’re trolling, I just couldn’t stand being trolled!!”

I got an idea how about you all go outside and just start shoveling dirty grasshoppers and spiders into your fat maws by the fistful and shut the gently caress up goddamn this is gbs idiots

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Abuse at dairy farms.... duhhhhh ya think? First they rape the cows to get them pregnant and then separate the mom from the baby because that's OUR milk now. It's all abuse all the time.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

Abuse at dairy farms.... duhhhhh ya think? First they rape the cows to get them pregnant and then separate the mom from the baby because that's OUR milk now. It's all abuse all the time.

we're surrounded by rapists every non human organism is either an incel or a rapist and even then most humans are also rapists, we eat rapists, we poo poo out little rapist bacteria we are literally filled with rape, really makes you think

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There are plenty loving monogamous birds cuz birds are good people unlike humans

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

There are plenty loving monogamous birds cuz birds are good people unlike humans

This is a myth, those animals cheat too dude

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Kicked Throat posted:

hey, those cow hormones are good for us, the billion dollar milk lobbyists tell me so! theyre even good for black and east asian children! *lobby throws another 100 million so the government doesn't publish lactose intolerant information and make milk mandatory in schools*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Isn't the insect population on the decline? Are we gonna eat bugs to extinction? loving dumb idea imo, I love bugs as much as I love cows.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

roomforthetuna posted:

No.

If you could explain how what I wrote made you think I was suggesting that I would really appreciate it.

Edit: and I suppose in the meantime I'll explain how I was not suggesting that. My negation of "our ancestors ate lots and lots of meat and that's how we got brains" was not "our ancestors were vegetarians", it was "our ancestors probably ate less meat than 'lots and lots', and/or there is no real reason to believe that brains were in any way a consequence of what meat they did eat, and there are valid reasons to not believe it." More importantly, I was suggesting that "a scientific fact" is a very different thing from "a thing some researcher claimed one time." Most importantly of all, I was suggesting that the person stating that the meat=brains nonsense was "a scientific fact" is a jerk for doing that. I hope this is a clearer explanation that won't be mistaken for a completely different claim that centers around a word I didn't even use.

Lol you went back and edited this. And you post super vegan. Do you eat HH?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Burt Sexual posted:

you post super vegan.

Lol get ‘em Burt

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I would eat locusts, grasshoppers, crickets and those lovely insects.

But NOT bees, woodlice, or cicadas. Those are good and cool arthropods that do not deserve it.

However, can we agree even eating bugs is better than soylent?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol you went back and edited this. And you post super vegan. Do you eat HH?
Yes lol I appended some text what a hilarious weirdo.

What is HH?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the main difference between a bug and a cow is that a bug has real purpose in the world independent of humans, which must be preserved, while the cow is a food item engineered by humans that has no place in the natural world outside of a pasture

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Oh hey, if "things our ancestors maybe did that might have been important to getting us where we are today" is a measure of what is good to do, shouldn't we actually do what their ancestors did to get them where they were to be able to do what they did to get us where we are today?

brb, gonna go do some binary fissioning over here.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

roomforthetuna posted:

Yes lol I appended some text what a hilarious weirdo.

What is HH?

Hamburger helper. It’s kinda a thread. Come post!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

poverty goat posted:

the main difference between a bug and a cow is that a bug has real purpose in the world independent of humans, which must be preserved, while the cow is a food item engineered by humans that has no place in the natural world outside of a pasture

What do gnats do? I mean besides serve as food? It’d take a lot to satisfy me admittedly.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Hamburger helper. It’s kinda a thread. Come post!
Okay!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

What do gnats do? I mean besides serve as food? It’d take a lot to satisfy me admittedly.

everything is food. in this case it's mostly food for fish, which are food for bigger fish, which are delicious. anyone who tells you any of these things are not food is delusional. if we don't eat them, something will.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Dazerbeams posted:

a calorie deficit would be the best thing that ever happened to fatass 1/3 diabetic america. could save literally millions of lives.

only sort of related: most americans get plenty of protein and fat, but not nearly enough fiber. eat more vegetables.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

quote:

I mean yeah, just stopping beef consumption would free all that pasture space up but...what could grow there instead?

Plants for eating? Like 2/3 of the farm land we have right now goes directly to feeding live-stock (before we kill them, for pleasure).

Just plant some cucumbers

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/Zl3JNvpYSzw

bugds

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
RE bug eating why is it always spindly leggy poo poo like tiny crickets or ants that get pushed when you could probably get more meat off wetas, elephant beetles, bird eating tarantulas and giant water bugs? Plus their diet might actually impact their taste like grass vs cornfed beef.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Timon & Pumba knew what was up. You see those grubs they were eating? They look like gummy worms, probably taste the same.

A show I watched had people eating wasp larva or eggs, that didn't look too nasty.

Also I looked up banana slugs, people eat em. Those guys can gently caress you up if you don't cook them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

humans' main innovation over nature is that we kill our meat before we eat it and if you could ask the cow it'd tell you it's really excited about not being loving eaten alive by wolves after being abandoned by its family in the heat of the moment due to a minor injury, since that was its lot in life before domestication