Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Violet_Sky posted:

Am I the only who is kinda excited about what Gen 8 will include Mon wise? I feel kinda like this: :suspense:

Now that I've fully checked out on getting this game, yeah, it's exciting. I feel it's reasonable to expect around 500-600, so that's a looooot pokemon for the chopping board. :allears:

Farecoal posted:

Just starting Omega Sapphire - why did they separate the Center and Mart again?? It was pretty convenient having them under one roof

Hahah, yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Fun facts about the Phanpy line in its debut games: Despite being a Ground type, Phanpy learns exactly zero Ground moves. All the damaging moves it learns are Normal until level 33, when it can learn Rollout, assuming you didn't evolve it into a Donphan eight levels ago. Dophan also learns Rollout at level 33. Because of G/S/C's terrible level curve, you'll most likely have at least seven badges by that point.

Unlike Phanpy, Donphan does learn a Ground move at level 49, Earthquake. The Champion's strongest Pokemon is at level 50. You can get a Phanpy before the first gym.

I know this because I decided to use Phanpy instead of Geodude in one of my early playthroughs of Crystal, on the grounds of "I happened to encounter one and I want a cool Donphan like that guy from the beginning of the first movie." I stuck with it for a long time, hoping it would get good, and eventually replaced it with a Graveler that managed to be a huge improvement even stuck ten levels below the rest of the party.

It's like the tradeoff for not being stuck behind the postgame was to take that long to be remotely usable.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Now that I've fully checked out on getting this game, yeah, it's exciting. I feel it's reasonable to expect around 500-600, so that's a looooot pokemon for the chopping board. :allears:

Im getting the game because I want to see where the gently caress this goes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Game Freak will announce one cut Pokemon (including the crimes they committed to get purged) a day until release, and it will be accompanied by a Game Freak employee taking an effigy of that Pokemon and burning it on live television.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Game Freak will announce one cut Pokemon (including the crimes they committed to get purged) a day until release, and it will be accompanied by a Game Freak employee taking an effigy of that Pokemon and burning it on live television.

I actually would be a little less pissed if they did this. They also need to have an old japanese man berate it as they do so while taking swigs off his cheap Asahi beer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

they've already been doing that for each generation to make space, we just collectively forget the pokemon in question when it happens

remember pikablu? yeah of course you don't. a small scrap was left behind, though, and people attributed it to marill...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Finding out what the regional dex has always been the most exciting part for me, so I'm excited that more people have taken a great interest in this.

Also I can afford to not be perturbed by this because I've already got a ton of games to generate Pokémon from and my competitive living dex is almost complete (I only need a way to get a Meltan and a Melmetal). With this restriction can really only focus on the Gen 8 monsters and older ones in these games that I haven't trained before.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Today, the Pokemon we are removing from Sword and Shield is...Qwilfish. Comrade Qwilfish has confessed to thirty different counts of anti-revolutionary activity. He shall be executed in one hour. Godspeed."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shwoo posted:

Fun facts about the Phanpy line in its debut games: Despite being a Ground type, Phanpy learns exactly zero Ground moves. All the damaging moves it learns are Normal until level 33, when it can learn Rollout, assuming you didn't evolve it into a Donphan eight levels ago. Dophan also learns Rollout at level 33. Because of G/S/C's terrible level curve, you'll most likely have at least seven badges by that point.

Unlike Phanpy, Donphan does learn a Ground move at level 49, Earthquake. The Champion's strongest Pokemon is at level 50. You can get a Phanpy before the first gym.

I know this because I decided to use Phanpy instead of Geodude in one of my early playthroughs of Crystal, on the grounds of "I happened to encounter one and I want a cool Donphan like that guy from the beginning of the first movie." I stuck with it for a long time, hoping it would get good, and eventually replaced it with a Graveler that managed to be a huge improvement even stuck ten levels below the rest of the party.

It's like the tradeoff for not being stuck behind the postgame was to take that long to be remotely usable.

all this said there were all of nine ground type moves in gen 2, one of which was dig that probably came from a TM, one of which was sand attack, and two or three of them were cubone signatures

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The White Dragon posted:

that's probably why its moveset sucks and its learns are so late, because you catch it and it can only ever have learned four moves to that point. and then you gain a couple levels and you get the rest. everything else is single-use TMs

Same kind of logic behind the often ridiculous evolution levels on Gen V'ers. like you'll get Rufflet on a high level route anyway so you not actually going to wait that long for Braviary. Of course that falls apart as soon as you realize people breed these things or the fact they have to work outside of Gen V's "New 150" context.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, the fandom's negative response is kinda stressing me out. I just want to play Pokemons not get angry or sad. :saddowns:

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

LightningSquid posted:

Lickilicky >>> Lickitung and I cannot believe this is still something I need to say to people.

I ran with a Lickilicky in one of my playthroughs and named her Investment. "Investment used return" and "Investment used explosion" are very funny things to read, thanks for listening to my story about pokemons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, the fandom's negative response is kinda stressing me out. I just want to play Pokemons not get angry or sad. :saddowns:

It’s definitely going to get review-bombed by the usual suspects

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s definitely going to get review-bombed by the usual suspects

…Sword and Shield are going to include They/Them pronouns?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 14, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LightningSquid posted:

Lickilicky >>> Lickitung and I cannot believe this is still something I need to say to people.

Lickitung is cute and has reasonable proportions. Lickilicky looks like a bloated corpse.

Farecoal posted:

Just starting Omega Sapphire - why did they separate the Center and Mart again?? It was pretty convenient having them under one roof

I prefer separate buildings because it makes the world seem slightly larger.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So what Pokemon are you pretty sure won't be in?

Deerling/Sawsbuck because of the seasons gimmick.
Porygon/2/Z for seizure reasons.
Wailmer/Wailord because of scale
Spinda because of the bajillion varieties
Deoxys for it's forms
Rotom cause of the forms
A ton of Gen5 for their high evolution levels
Genesect, Arceus, and Silvanny for their held Item gimmicks
Inkay/Malamar is out because of the evolution method.
Lines that use Magnetic Fields or Mount Lanakila so they don't have to find places to put them
Alolan Forms because it's not Alola
Ultra Beasts cause they're tied to SUUSUM gimmicks in multiple ways and they're not-legendary but kinda-legendary status is inconvenient
Vivillion for the forms

Other than that I'm betting against every non-Gen1 starter, fossil, and Legendary/Mythical but wouldn't be floored if some made it in.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Wailmer, Grubbin and Inkay were already shown in trailers, so their evolved forms are in.

My guess is that Pokémon that aren't popular enough are the ones that'll get the cut.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just got through the Crasher Wake fight in the anime. After the strong showings of the first three Sinnoh Gym Leaders, Wake lost without KOing a single one of Ash's Pokemon. Ouch.

The Wallace Cup was fun. "The Thief That Keeps On Thieving" was a pretty generic character-of-the-day episode...except that Team Rocket actually succeeded, sort of. "Chim-Charred" develops Chimchar's character further, and establishes that Chimchar's Blaze working differently from all the other uses of Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent in the anime is an intentional plot point rather than a plot hole. (I don't expect an actual sensible explanation for why it works differently, though.) "Cream of the Croagunk Crop" was an annual-local-festival episode straight out of Johto, but the humor provided by the sheer weirdness of Croagunk elevates it a bit.

Now that Ash has a full team and has defeated half the Gym Leaders, it's interesting to speculate how he'll fight the other half. Fantina might be the hardest, since his only type advantage there is Pikachu vs. Driftblim, and the anime tends to overplay the power of Ghost-types (though that's been toned down a bit since Indigo League). I assume Gligar will also participate, since it hasn't gotten a chance to fight in a Gym battle yet and is eager for one.

Against Byron, I guess he'll use Chimchar (which will probably be a Monferno by then) against Bronzor, Buizel against Steelix, and Pikachu (armed with its experience against Craniados) and Chimchar again against Bastiodon. Against Candice, I guess he'll use Monferno again in combination with Pikachu and Buizel (the other three team members being bad against Ice-types), and his tactics will include an Ice Aqua Jet from Buizel. Against Volkner, Ash could use Pikachu (which is always pulling off bullshit against other Electric types), Turtwig (hopefully a Torterra by then), and Gligar (hopefully a Gliscor by then).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Farecoal posted:

I guess it was just to be more authentic to the original games. Most of them are really close to each other at least. The Sootopolis one is awful though, it’s on the other side of the city, across water.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 14, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

farewell, spoink

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I’m betting they’ll be in with their gimmick repurposed for the changing weather in the wild area.

Also, I think it’s a good Pokémon to have in Poke Britain.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

Just got through the Crasher Wake fight in the anime. After the strong showings of the first three Sinnoh Gym Leaders, Wake lost without KOing a single one of Ash's Pokemon. Ouch.

Just read up on that battle and drat. I don't think Ash's ever been that competent; abusing type advantage, weaving team work with his usual bullshit for the unevolved 'mon to take down the fully evolved mon all to go 3-0 against a gym leader on his first try.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

galagazombie posted:

The fallout from that episode seems to have been limited to the anime (if it wasn't, 2 and Z wouldn't exist at all).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Silver2195 posted:

The fallout from that episode seems to have been limited to the anime (if it wasn't, 2 and Z wouldn't exist at all).

Japan really seems to take these things too seriously, acting like the Pokemon line is cursed or something. Same thing with the earthquake and a planned Team Plasma vs Team Rocket event, I think. A bad thing happened and now it can't ever be released.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All this talk about stuff made me think if there is battle stuff and other things in home maybe I'll get around to transferring up my Pokemon from my Emerald and Platinum and SoulSilver, I don't have a full Dex by any means but I have a nice set that it'd be cool to reunite with

Then I looked at what was involved and cancelled that idea jesus christ what masochist designed these systems.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Pokemon games, especially Gen 6 and 7 have tried to make obtaining certain Pokemon easier and easier due to the fact that transferring them from older generations get more and more ridiculous.

They imagined that transferring a Pokémon using a mini-game would be fun so they implemented that. Only for the mini-game to wear out its welcome and not anticipating just how many Pokémon the player would want to transfer. Not to mention that now it involves using Nintendo hardware that's long been out of print such as a DS with a GBA slot. It got to the point where simply transferring something from as far back as a Gen 3 game will net you a reward for being a fan of the series for that long.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MikeJF posted:

Then I looked at what was involved and cancelled that idea jesus christ what masochist designed these systems.
someone who assumed people transferring would transfer up as soon as possible, and they'd only have to do one transfer at a time

(really, so long as you have the equipment, it's not that bad. Unless, of course, you have a lot of pokemon in gen 3, in which case: have fun swapping out GBA cartridges to get around the "only 6 pokemon transferable per day" that gen 4 had)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh oh yeah my DS is a DSi so much for Emerald.

And I have to jump from Platinum to B&W to 3DS because they couldn't be bothered making Transfer compatible with Gen IV too?

Damnit, why couldn't they just build a 3DS app that just... sucks all of your Pokemon out of a save file.

Or even make a transfer station at game stores which host events where you can take your cart in and plug it in and it zaps a savegame into Pokemon Bank.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just read up on that battle and drat. I don't think Ash's ever been that competent; abusing type advantage, weaving team work with his usual bullshit for the unevolved 'mon to take down the fully evolved mon all to go 3-0 against a gym leader on his first try.

See, this sort of poo poo and more is why I say Sinnoh was when Ash was at his best. He was consistently strategic, clever, and downright tricky. Ash's greatest strength (aside from standard anime-style "Power of Friendship") is finding strategies that make people around him go "Wait, you can do that?"

He pays attention, and takes what he observes to adapt his strategies and take new ideas to form new strategies around. Like the whole idea of Ice Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet takes the Pokemon, forms a sort of bubble? Of water around them, and hurls them at the opponent at blinding speed. The speed is key. When the opportunity arises, he's taught his pokemon to take advantage of freezing effects to turn that water bubble around them into an icy missile hurtling at the opponent at breakneck speeds. And that's one of the more mundane tricks he comes up with.

EDIT: You know, I'm thinking that's probably WHY he got dumbed down in B/W. They view him as/want him to be the standard "Lovable Idiot" hero who succeeds through the power of friendship more than raw power or brilliance. But character development marching on over time meant he was getting a little too smart for their "lovable moron" vision of him. So they took a Crowbar and went Gordon Freeman on his IQ while he was on the plane to Unova. To hell with him getting smarter over time being a positive character trait that was making him easier to appreciate, HE MUST BE DUMB BECAUSE IT MUST BE THE POWER OF LOVE AND BLIND loving LUCK THAT SEES HIM TO VICTORY, NOTHING ELSE.

Hell, they had to write in Tobias to knock him out of the Sinnoh tournament because they'd written themselves into a corner by having no one left set up that could believably beat Ash, since they had him beating the nerd and Paul.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 14, 2019

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

all this said there were all of nine ground type moves in gen 2, one of which was dig that probably came from a TM, one of which was sand attack, and two or three of them were cubone signatures
They did add a mid-tier move in gen II in Magnitude, but only the Diglett and Geodude lines get it by level up.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Shwoo posted:

Back in 3rd Gen, I trained up a Phanpy just to keep it in my party and pick up good items for me. I had a really hard time K.O.ing the little guys in Firered because they sounded so sad when knocked out. Phanpy is such a cute Pokémon. I wanted Donna to get me the best items, so she’s level 100.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MikeJF posted:

Ugh oh yeah my DS is a DSi so much for Emerald.

And I have to jump from Platinum to B&W to 3DS because they couldn't be bothered making Transfer compatible with Gen IV too?

Damnit, why couldn't they just build a 3DS app that just... sucks all of your Pokemon out of a save file.

Or even make a transfer station at game stores which host events where you can take your cart in and plug it in and it zaps a savegame into Pokemon Bank.
if you think that's bad, imagine trying to transfer pokemon up from Collosseum/XD - the only way to trade pokemon over (trade, not transfer. had to do it one at a time.) was via the GBA-GCN link cable. aka "the accessory used in like, 3 games, for 10 minutes each"

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Johnny Joestar posted:

they've already been doing that for each generation to make space, we just collectively forget the pokemon in question when it happens

remember pikablu? yeah of course you don't. a small scrap was left behind, though, and people attributed it to marill...

Gorochu was real all along!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

See, this sort of poo poo and more is why I say Sinnoh was when Ash was at his best. He was consistently strategic, clever, and downright tricky. Ash's greatest strength (aside from standard anime-style "Power of Friendship") is finding strategies that make people around him go "Wait, you can do that?"

He pays attention, and takes what he observes to adapt his strategies and take new ideas to form new strategies around. Like the whole idea of Ice Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet takes the Pokemon, forms a sort of bubble? Of water around them, and hurls them at the opponent at blinding speed. The speed is key. When the opportunity arises, he's taught his pokemon to take advantage of freezing effects to turn that water bubble around them into an icy missile hurtling at the opponent at breakneck speeds. And that's one of the more mundane tricks he comes up with.

EDIT: You know, I'm thinking that's probably WHY he got dumbed down in B/W. They view him as/want him to be the standard "Lovable Idiot" hero who succeeds through the power of friendship more than raw power or brilliance. But character development marching on over time meant he was getting a little too smart for their "lovable moron" vision of him. So they took a Crowbar and went Gordon Freeman on his IQ while he was on the plane to Unova. To hell with him getting smarter over time being a positive character trait that was making him easier to appreciate, HE MUST BE DUMB BECAUSE IT MUST BE THE POWER OF LOVE AND BLIND loving LUCK THAT SEES HIM TO VICTORY, NOTHING ELSE.

Hell, they had to write in Tobias to knock him out of the Sinnoh tournament because they'd written themselves into a corner by having no one left set up that could believably beat Ash, since they had him beating the nerd and Paul.

It's almost as if (now go with me on this one) there's some sort of tall poppy syndrome forever in place with Ash.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the subject of galar pokédex inclusion went like this:

gamefreak 1: i think it would be cool to add this monster
gamefreak 2: agreed. i think it would be cool to add this one
gamefreak 1: right on

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

pokémon swoshi megathread: Dont Cry For Me, I’m Already Fainted

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

galagazombie posted:

Wailmer/Wailord because of scale
Spinda because of the bajillion varieties
Deoxys for it's forms
Rotom cause of the forms
A ton of Gen5 for their high evolution levels
Genesect, Arceus, and Silvanny for their held Item gimmicks
Inkay/Malamar is out because of the evolution method.
Lines that use Magnetic Fields or Mount Lanakila so they don't have to find places to put them
Alolan Forms because it's not Alola
Ultra Beasts cause they're tied to SUUSUM gimmicks in multiple ways and they're not-legendary but kinda-legendary status is inconvenient
Vivillion for the forms

Other than that I'm betting against every non-Gen1 starter, fossil, and Legendary/Mythical but wouldn't be floored if some made it in.

Out:
Sentret/Furret
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Sunkern/Sunflora
Unown
Qwilfish
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Slugma
Magcargo
Corsola
Delibird, ONE HOPES
Phanpy
Donphan
Stantler
Raikou/Entei/Suicune
Ho-Oh/Lugia
Celebi
Poochyena
Mightyena
Zigzagoon
Linoone
Wurmple/Silcoon/Beautifly/Cascoon/Dustox
Taillow/Swellow
Skitty/Delcatty
Mawile
Plusle/Minun
Volbeat/Illumise
Carvanha/Sharpedo (doesn't fit region)
Numel/Camerupt
Spoink/Grumpig :smith:
Spinda (dead certainty, why the gently caress did Game Freak do this to begin with???)
Cacnea/Cacturne
Kecleon
Tropius
Chingling/Chimecho
Clamperl/Huntail/Gorebyss
Relicanth
Regirock/Regice/Registeel
Jirachi
Deoxys
Kricketot/Kricketune
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim
Cherubi/Cherrim
Glameow/Purugly lmao might as well pretend they don't exist at all
Bronzor/Bronzong
Chatot
Spiritomb
Carnivine
Finneon/Lumineon
Azelf/Mesprit/Uxie
Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
Heatran
Regigigas
Cresselia
Manaphy
Phione
Darkrai
Shaymin
Patrat/Watchog
Purrloin/Liepard
Pansage/Simisage
Panpour/Simipour
Pansear/Simisear
Munna/Musharna
Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant
Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr
Basculin
Darumaka/Darmanitan
Maractus :smith:
Yamask/Cofagrigus
Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle
Solosis/Duosion/Reuniclus
Ducklett/Swanna
Karrablast/Escavalier
Alomomola
Klink/Klang/Klinklang
Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross
Cubchoo/Beartic
Cryogonal
Shelmet/Accelgor
Stunfisk
Mienfoo/Mienshao
Druddigon
Rufflet/Braviary
Vullaby/Mandibuzz
Heatmor
Durant
Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion/Keldeo
Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus
Reshiram/Zekrom
Victini
Meloetta
Genesect
Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillon
Litleo/Pyroar
Furfrou
Spritzee/Aromatisse
Helioptile/Heliolisk
Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist (for obvious reasons)
Xerneas/Yveltal
Zygarde
Diancie
Hoopa
Volcanion
Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon
Crabrawler/Crabominable
Oricorio
Mareanie/Toxapex
Salandit/Salazzle
Oranguru/Passimiian
Pyukumuku
Type: Null/Silvally
Komala
Turtonator
Bruxish
Drampa
Dhelmise
Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele/Tapu Bulu/Tapu Fini
Cosmog
Cosmoem
Solgaleo
Lunala
Nihilego
Buzzwole
Pheromosa
Xurkitree
Celesteela
Kartana
Guzzlord
Necrozma
Poipole
Naganadel
Stakatake
Blacephalon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Out: your favorite Pokemon
In: my favorite Pokemon

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Info in this is wrong. He's confusing units sold with $. X and Y sold 16million copies, not $. They made almost a billion from that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the whole reddit post is when the springfield kids find out skinner makes $25,000 a year and calculate that he’s a millionaire