Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
50 days till GENCON

also i was looking up what’s in the game library and turns out gencon is bad???: https://www.gencon.com/forums/31-general-info-2018/topics/14305-gencon-is-overrated-and-a-nightmare-for-actually-gaming

gencon definitely needs more armed cops and needs to be more like dragoncon

If anyone can direct me towards a source for what’s in the game library I would appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Last time I was in the game library (3 years ago I think) they had pretty much every game we could imagine.
But here's the whole list:

https://tabletop.events/libraries/the-gen-con-games-library

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

OgreNoah posted:

Last time I was in the game library (3 years ago I think) they had pretty much every game we could imagine.
But here's the whole list:

https://tabletop.events/libraries/the-gen-con-games-library

Thanks! I was looking for obscure train games to determine if I need to bring my own, which it looks like I do.

Any goons want to play their first 18xx hit me up, I’ll have the best intro game: 1889.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fellis posted:

gencon definitely needs more armed cops and needs to be more like dragoncon

Pretty sure you were making fun of that poster you linked to, but if not, I definitely disagree. There were a ton of posta about this when Sarkeesian came, and I am pretty sure Gen Con employees and/or people in the security issue said the con's strategy with, primarily, plain clothes security was the way to go. I just remember a bunch of people demanding cops with machine guns be placed all around the con to stop the active shooters Sarkeesian obviously was inviting to cone.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've been to Dragon Con two or three times, and it's a giant shitshow compared to GenCon. Since you can't get tickets in advance for pretty much anything you have to wait in line for hours to maybe get into a panel that's in a room so large that you can't even really see the stage. Also there are a ton of drunken idiots. The costumes are cool though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Pretty sure you were making fun of that poster you linked to, but if not,

:negative:

I didn’t think I was unfunny enough to be taken seriously when I say something like that in this thread

big oof

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I forgot about that post on their forums. The most amazing and terrible feature of the official forums is the same one: the inability to ignore users and the seeming inability of the administrators to ban users. The most awful people seemed to finally get bored and leave by last year's Gen-Con, though. Probably busy literally making GBS threads on the unofficial Facebook group instead for a bigger and more fascist-tolerating audience.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
I remember a year or two ago seeing a huge rant on the official forums about how lovely GC is because of the relative lack of electronic gaming, and how GC wouldn't refund his 4-day badge on Friday morning. That was fun to watch.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dragoncon fuckin rules

but it is totally different

we have a thread for anyone going to nerd mardi gras over in Goon Meets

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

JetSet posted:

I remember a year or two ago seeing a huge rant on the official forums about how lovely GC is because of the relative lack of electronic gaming, and how GC wouldn't refund his 4-day badge on Friday morning. That was fun to watch.

it's got an arcade!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sloober posted:

it's got an arcade!

A shameful arcade.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A shameful arcade.

yes, an arcade

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh hey it is time...

TO REGISTER YOUR ITEMS FOR THE 2019 GEN-CON AUCTION WOOOO
actually it has somehow been going on for weeks without any of us noticing.

The last day to register, as usual, is the Sunday before G-Cizzy (July 28).

Rundown from the registration page in case you are too lazy to even click that first:

Auction Tags: $2, Store Tags: $1
Auction Commission: 15%, Store Commission: 10% (Max Store Item Price: $50.00)
Bidder White-Card Cost: $1.00, Bidder Yellow-Card/Tab Deposit: $50.00

(you get the tab deposit back, obviously, if you go that route, so it is technically cheaper than getting the $1 card)

And yes this means the days of putting something in the Auction for $1, as always-fun as it was, are still quite over, as now you actually need to put something in for, what, $2.34 in the auction to actually break even? Only $1.10 in the store to break even though! It is not nearly as much fun to start the bidding at $3, but these are truly dark times

JetSet posted:

ahahahaaha

It is not that I specifically wish harm on this guy (has to be a guy) if he genuinely believed he was going to a videogame convention, but I do wonder what process led to him believing this to be the case.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh hey it is time...

TO REGISTER YOUR ITEMS FOR THE 2019 GEN-CON AUCTION WOOOO
actually it has somehow been going on for weeks without any of us noticing.

The last day to register, as usual, is the Sunday before G-Cizzy (July 28).

Rundown from the registration page in case you are too lazy to even click that first:

Auction Tags: $2, Store Tags: $1
Auction Commission: 15%, Store Commission: 10% (Max Store Item Price: $50.00)
Bidder White-Card Cost: $1.00, Bidder Yellow-Card/Tab Deposit: $50.00

(you get the tab deposit back, obviously, if you go that route, so it is technically cheaper than getting the $1 card)

And yes this means the days of putting something in the Auction for $1, as always-fun as it was, are still quite over, as now you actually need to put something in for, what, $2.34 in the auction to actually break even? Only $1.10 in the store to break even though! It is not nearly as much fun to start the bidding at $3, but these are truly dark times

ahahahaaha

It is not that I specifically wish harm on this guy (has to be a guy) if he genuinely believed he was going to a videogame convention, but I do wonder what process led to him believing this to be the case.

drat it! I have a copy of the Price is Right home game, that thematically should start at $1.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

ahahahaaha

Clearly you missed the post on the fans of gen con Facebook this year of a girlfriend asking if there was any big Eve Online events at Gen Con because her boyfriend only wants to go if he can play Eve all weekend.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

drat it! I have a copy of the Price is Right home game, that thematically should start at $1.
Well, assuming that game is worth anything at all, which it probably is, you can still get some excited bidding going by starting at $1. The danger is if you have some kind of garbage game and put it at $1 without thinking and... get $1 for it.

nesbit37 posted:

Clearly you missed the post on the fans of gen con Facebook this year of a girlfriend asking if there was any big Eve Online events at Gen Con because her boyfriend only wants to go if he can play Eve all weekend.
Oh. Oh dear.

I mean I left Facebook in 2016 after realizing it was now a fascist propaganda delivery machine and clearly this is all the proof I need that nothing has changed

I guess in this case at least she was grasping at straws to figure out a desperate way to get her utterly useless lump of poo poo boyfriend to go with her. Fortunately she can just break up with him and meet someone at the convention instead! I am sure that is exactly how this relationship will go, yes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well, assuming that game is worth anything at all, which it probably is, you can still get some excited bidding going by starting at $1. The danger is if you have some kind of garbage game and put it at $1 without thinking and... get $1 for it.

first of all, this is the wrong way to look at the auction

you start ALL your items at $1, because the auction is not where you go to sell things for money.

it is a trash can you throw poo poo you don't want any more into, and a month later hopefully get a check in the mail.

but if you don't, well, you still got rid of all that stuff.

it is a slot machine in which each pull of the lever costs you one board game.

it's me. I'm the guy who doesn't pick up his unsold items.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Hi, so.

This will be my first year ever going to this. Beyond games you could sign up for (and many seem to be sold out already), and various sit-ins to attend (some of which are also sold out already) I'm kind of at a loss as to what to actually do over the course of the four days. I'm going to be there with a decently sized group of friends, but a good few of them have never gone either and the ones which have were a little vague.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Sloober posted:

it's got an arcade!

I’m generally not one to tell anyone how to have their own fun, but I really don’t get paying $100+ for badges, and who knows how much for travel and lodging, just to play stuff like DotA and Overwatch.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Arthil posted:

Hi, so.

This will be my first year ever going to this. Beyond games you could sign up for (and many seem to be sold out already), and various sit-ins to attend (some of which are also sold out already) I'm kind of at a loss as to what to actually do over the course of the four days. I'm going to be there with a decently sized group of friends, but a good few of them have never gone either and the ones which have were a little vague.

If it’s your first time, it will seem overwhelming, and even if you have nothing scheduled, you won’t run out of things to do. You could spend 4 days in the dealers hall alone, which is what I did my first year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arthil posted:

Hi, so.

1: Start walking now. At least half an hour a day at this point. Your legs will thank for you for starting now on GenCon Saturday.
2: Remember to stay hydrated, but don't buy food/drinks inside the ICC, expecially not inside the dealer hall. It's a huge ripoff.
3: Grab a copy of the program when you get there. Spend half an hour skimming the scheg to see if any games or seminars sound cool. Try to sign up for games that sound cool but expect a lot to be sold out. That may not actualy be a major issue because...
4: Buy some generic tickets (not a lot, maybe $20 worth) If a game sounds cool but is sold out and you don't have anything else for hat time block get to the game a few minutes early and ask the GM if you can get in if they have a no-show. Worst case you're out 15min, best case someone doesn't make it and you get to play.
5: Games on demand is great for trying new things.
6: Watch this thread and that chat program I can't remember the name of and play pick up games with goons.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

JetSet posted:

I’m generally not one to tell anyone how to have their own fun, but I really don’t get paying $100+ for badges, and who knows how much for travel and lodging, just to play stuff like DotA and Overwatch.

i always figured the arcade was for the kids of board gaming parents who failed to get their kids into non-video gaming

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When was warcraft 2 out, like 1996? My teenage self and my friends definitely spent more gen con time then we should have playing that on a LAN at gen con. Was a ton of fun, but glad it wasnt all I wanted to do there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

first of all, this is the wrong way to look at the auction

you start ALL your items at $1, because the auction is not where you go to sell things for money.

it is a trash can you throw poo poo you don't want any more into, and a month later hopefully get a check in the mail.

but if you don't, well, you still got rid of all that stuff.

it is a slot machine in which each pull of the lever costs you one board game.

it's me. I'm the guy who doesn't pick up his unsold items.
I was going to say something about how shocked I was that you did not get a simultaneously condescending and sad e-mail after not picking up your items, but then I remembered that happened to me the year I had to leave early and did not pick up my purchased items :oops: :confuoot: :teeheezo:

But yes, I have to say, treating the Auction as a dumping ground that might thank you for your dumping with money is pretty solid

Arthil posted:

It is virtually impossible to run out of things to do there, as we discussed earlier in the thread. I have stopped buying event tickets entirely because I was basically guaranteed to end up skipping any event I had a ticket for in favor of something else going on at the last minute anyway. If you think of Gen-Con as an event where you go solely to buy tickets to play games, well, you certainly have part of the idea down. But that is also like going to Disney World and thinking the only thing there is to do there is, like, see Epcot Center; certainly a huge part of the potential experience, but also something you could entirely ignore and still be spoiled for choice.

Though I do say "virtually impossible" because I have one friend who only goes for one day every few years because literally all he finds enjoyable is looking for new boardgames to buy; he infamously claimed to have looked through every booth at the Exhibit Hall in about 45 minutes in 2006.

Also, "GroupMe" is the name of the chat program everyone in this thread should use; instructions are uhh somewhere a few of my posts ago (and in the original post)

nesbit37 posted:

When was warcraft 2 out, like 1996? My teenage self and my friends definitely spent more gen con time then we should have playing that on a LAN at gen con. Was a ton of fun, but glad it wasnt all I wanted to do there.
Nice, given the only thing I know about Gen Con 1996 was that there was a national Quake tournament that my buddy won, which, delightfully, definitely gave me the impression that there was more computer gaming going on at Gen-Con than there actually was when I first attended in 1997. Well that combined with hearing that Lord British used to go. Our group DID get some Lands of Lore 2 t-shirts from the Westwood Studios booth that year!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nice, given the only thing I know about Gen Con 1996 was that there was a national Quake tournament that my buddy won, which, delightfully, definitely gave me the impression that there was more computer gaming going on at Gen-Con than there actually was when I first attended in 1997. Well that combined with hearing that Lord British used to go. Our group DID get some Lands of Lore 2 t-shirts from the Westwood Studios booth that year!

Gen Con was actually pretty hip computer game wise pre-2000, and it was IMO for all the reasons that make it a great in person gaming convention. Think about, before then, if you're friends were not in a dorm at a university or savvy enough to put a LAN party together you were not playing PC games together. People had been coming to Gen Con for years to play the terrible fps MIDI MAZE together because there was no where else they could play it. I was not surprised my friends and I jumped at the chance to play Warcraft 2 with each other there, and it in fact inspired us to organize the many lan parties we had in my parents' basement through the mid-2000s (oh God, what did Gen Con DO).

http://best50yearsingaming.com/programs/catalog/1995-800200

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is a good point about the logistics of multiplayer gaming in the 1990s; I still remember the first time my eternabro and fellow Goon Rooster Brooster (shoutout) got DOOM running over two computers via my null modem in like 1994, it was pretty much the most amazing experience I had ever had. To be followed by many less-amazing but still enjoyable rounds of CivNet with another friend who shared my uncompetitive nature so thoroughly that we just made trade routes with each other and never finished a game or attacked each other. NULL MODEMS WOOO though I guess MIDI Maze would have been played through the MIDI ports, huh. 1980S TECHNOLOGY!

Our hometown had a 'Net Café~! called Cyberi@, which also eventually merged with our favorite gaming store, Gamers' Haven, to create a glorious period of a couple of years where all your dreams could come true under one roof, and you could rent out the whole building overnight for LAN parties (which I think we did, like, a good dozen times), as again the magnificence of multiplayer gaming (particularly all in one room) could not be denied or easily recreated. Well at least until my buddy who is now chief of information security for a major hospital learned how to actually do proper home networking and suddenly we were betraying our precious Cyberi@ and playing the Baldur's Gate campaign, The Operative: No One Lives Forever deathmatch, and System Shock 2 co-op at home. I probably figured we would all be permanently jacked into the hyperrealm via a neural network by 2020 back then. Tragic.

Is this the tech relics thread

Oh

ORIGINS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvV4zv3Wds

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I've never really had much success doing videogames at GenCon. A few years ago when I was really into fighting games I played in a Street Fighter tournament, and did a goofball retro game event that night, but as I recall the arcade is crazy expensive now. Honestly I just had a blast bringing my Switch with me so my buddies and I could keep gaming even after we were too tired to be in the convention center.

I was skimming through all the posts in the thread since I asked about shots Wednesday and realized I have never signed up for an event prior to the con. I always just show up and pick weird / fun stuff out of the program. If I want to do something weird / unique / not just a board game session, what kind of stuff should I be looking for? And I am *definitely* doing shots Wednesday.

(oh also I just reinstalled GroupMe and it's already bizz buzzing away on my phone so I guess we're still using the same channel as a few years ago)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

(oh also I just reinstalled GroupMe and it's already bizz buzzing away on my phone so I guess we're still using the same channel as a few years ago)

Gallant:
Installs groupme and turns off notifications until gencon proper

Goofus:
Installs groupme and shouts at the beeman about bees

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was going to say something about how shocked I was that you did not get a simultaneously condescending and sad e-mail after not picking up your items, but then I remembered that happened to me the year I had to leave early and did not pick up my purchased items :oops: :confuoot: :teeheezo:

Wait, you can't pick up your stuff till late in the con? Cause that is an issue for me since I'm leaving in the afternoon on Sunday. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Wait, you can't pick up your stuff till late in the con? Cause that is an issue for me since I'm leaving in the afternoon on Sunday. :(
SEE WHAT YOU DID DEVIANT, YOU MADE ME MISLEAD DROWNING RABBIT (no you did not really do this)

It is expected that you will pick things up on Sunday but there is no requirement that you wait. Saturday night seems to be the most common time to cash out since the Auction itself closes at the end of the evening so most people want to wrap up their business and do other things Sunday morning rather than wait for payouts/items. No worries; everyone leaves in the afternoon on Sunday, that is virtually staying until the end!

someday I will arrive Monday and leave Monday, and not the same Monday

Fellis posted:

Gallant:

Goofus:
This is very good though it is now hurting my feelings that I cannot find the Goofus and Gallant extended parody that ends with like "Enlightened Goofallaggus sings the song that ends the universe"

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Quarex, Question: What is the exact difference between the two card options at the auction?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Maigius posted:

Quarex, Question: What is the exact difference between the two card options at the auction?

The green bidding card is linked to your credit card and allows you to keep bidding on things, pay when you want. Costs $1 cash (do not forget this dollar unless the staff is super nice and waives it for you if you legit did not know and TOVA is about to start and you cry a little because you want to buy junk for laughs)

The white bidding card is pay as you go, you must check out after each item you win. This does not prevent you from bidding on anything, as accepting bids is a line of sight at-will attack by the auction master (CR 3) and can even effect you in the consignment shop. Also costs $1.

The fabled yellow card is what the auction staff volunteers get

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 14, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Wait poo poo, wrong account

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

Wait poo poo, wrong account
I apologize to everyone who thought Fellis and I were different people

To be fair, though, while also-Quarex got the general ideas right, and nailed the white and yellow cards, but the green card is a $50 deposit that you can pay with cash or, I guess, a credit card; I never put my deposit down with a card before I started having a volunteer card instead so I did not realize that was a thing.

The green card yes lets you build up your items rather than paying for them one at a time, so you can buy them all at the end of the day. And I have definitely seen them put things back into the Auction for a green-card holder who did not pay for their stuff, so you do need to be careful (though I think it was Saturday and the items were from Thursday).

The mythical yellow card works like the green card but with built-in forgiveness.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

Gallant:

Goofus:

WHERE THE gently caress ARE MY GOOFS GOOFUS MAN

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I absolutely do not understand the bee man joke. Fill me in?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nesbit wrote and published an adorable game about bees which I am looking forward to buying this year. He is the bee man.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

I absolutely do not understand the bee man joke. Fill me in?

It’s a groupme joke, join the groupme and you will be privvy to all the comedy gold derived from Deviant shouting at people, which is about 52% of most gencon groupme humor. The other half is pictures of nerds sleeping on the floor of the convention center/hotel lobby/piece of carboard next to an ambulance

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
there's sad_priest_in_booth.png as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

OB_Juan posted:

there's sad_priest_in_booth.png as well.

The priest doesn't really look all that sad. And how could he, when he's surrounded by all that porn?!