Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What's the best engine to start making games with? A friend of mine knows a bit about unreal and blueprint but I've heard that's not the best?

Following this thread has got me all hot and nasty for making my own train wreck and alienating all my friends.
I'll make the company!!

gently caress it just make everything a tower of hellcode in monogame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

some decent games have come out using love2d, including blue revolver which was made by the dude who runs/ran the ycs offsite when that board went away

godot seem really nice

id probably use one of those or unity if i wasn't such a lazy pos who does nothing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bark 3 was rpg maker mv, with a couple free plugins

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Barkley 3 will be made in Lumberyard

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

gamemaker 2 but I'm not up to date on all the happenings with that so listen to Frankie

love2D is good if you're fine not having a UI and just doing everything through code

Unity is basically the standard and for good reason but it's definitely kind of becoming big and bloated

pico-8 if you specifically want to make a game that fits the pico-8 limitations

renpy for vns

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

godot seems really nice but everybody I've ever talked to who started a project in it ended up switching to something else for various reasons

maybe it's better now but it seems to be one of those things that's better in theory than it is in practice

twine is good for interactive fiction and you can plug it into unity

bitsy is good for the kind of game that bitsy is good for just kind of look at some of the sample games and you'll get a good idea

processing is probably not the best for larger projects but for small interactive things or more art projects it works really well. lots of really cool interactive art displays are done with it

RPGMaker has traditionally fallen apart whenever you try to do something more complicated with it but you can still make some extremely cool stuff with it pretty easily as long as you don't try to work against it

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

darkley

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

For complete beginners I think Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is pretty good for 2D games. Drag and drop with completely visual scripting. It’s not completely free but there’s a demo you can try. If you’re hellbent on making something in 3D I’d recommend Unity, which is completely free and has a ton of assets and extensions you can buy, many of which can let you make a game with no experience.

There’s actually a 3-week goon game jam next month, so I recommend trying that out. It’s a good way to get a feel for the basics of game dev and you might be able to get a team together for it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

NickPancakes posted:

the ycs offsite when that board went away

lol what the gently caress??

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

a scanner Barkley

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nerdz posted:

oh poo poo i didn;t realise ycs left

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

everythingWasBees posted:

godot seems really nice but everybody I've ever talked to who started a project in it ended up switching to something else for various reasons

maybe it's better now but it seems to be one of those things that's better in theory than it is in practice

Godot is a prototyping system and an extremely good one, also a great menu builder

Unfortunately it sort of only does those two things, it's just a little bit clunky for the other stuff it wants to be

Monogame is great if you're fine doing every loving goddamn thing through code but that's moving toward "framework" instead of "engine"

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
edit: poo poo gently caress wrong forum, i was thinking of LF

uhhh, replacement post:

Barkley is Good

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hey you should give the demo to me first over anyone else. No real reason it'd just be cool imo

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

That would be pretty good actually, but the imaginary guns are a little too powerful for that, I think theyre in the top tier
Give an imaginary imaginary gun then. Come on Frankie you're better than this!!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

run out of guns, even imaginary ones? try the unarmed fistol, terrible damage, abysmal range, and infinite ammunition to hold you over until you get anything, anything else at all to use instead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Honestly having an overpowered imaginary weapon you can only get by literally melting your entire arsenal into scrap would have been a great easter egg if nobody was told about it

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

oh poo poo i didn;t realise ycs left

the imp zone is better anyway

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

run out of guns, even imaginary ones? try the unarmed fistol, terrible damage, abysmal range, and infinite ammunition to hold you over until you get anything, anything else at all to use instead

you had me at 'fistol'

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fistol only challenge run

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

nerdz posted:

https://badgame.net/index.php

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dwarfnet posted:

"...the fistol can be a useful weapon, in the right (heh) hands. But how do you unlock this majestic beast? At character creation, it asks whether the character is right or left handed. Now, in game, this doesn't look like it does anything other than flip a number of animations, right? Wrong. Run out of ammunition in the field, and there's a small (cumulative) chance Hoopz will comment on it, and unequip all guns. Yes, all of them. And it's not just a one-off to reveal those hidden firearms, Hoopz can now unequip all their guns whenever they want, whyever they want..."

"...So you got the right-fistol or the left-fistol, and you noticed one huge problem: it's awful. Slow, weak, and terrible range to round them off. No surprise there, they exist so the player won't get doomed out in the field, not to reward running out of ammunition! But, these secret weapons have a trick to them: Remember those strength and agility stats? The ones that don't do anything much for your shooting? Put points in them. No, really. If you want those fistols to do more than meek slaps, you need to crank up that STR stat you've been neglecting all game! But what about the fire rate? AGI, my friend, AGI. And unlike strength, you might even have points in this one already! Great for you."
"Now, that's all fine and dandy you say, but what about range? Arm-extender augments. Yes, those things you thought only existed to make it harder to hit anything in your personal space? Yep, this is their onlyreal value. Even better, they stack, letting those fists fly further and further away into your enemies faces..."

"...So you have one of the starter fistols, you did the secret questline to keep it relevant throughout the game, bought augments until you got banned from purchasing cyberware, but there's still one question lurking in the backroom-depths of your mind: What about the other fistol? Well, you could go on a second gamespanning quest in new-game plus... Or, you could just unequip your fistol. Yes, it's that easy. Just unequip your fistol, Hoopz comments on this and realizes they have another fistol they can use, unlocking the fistol you didn't pick at character creation. Now, unequip that, combine it with your starter fistol, and tada, you have the One-Two Fistol. Enjoy punching everything."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've been enjoying katana zero thanks thread

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Praying to Clispaeth for that demo release.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What's the best engine to start making games with? A friend of mine knows a bit about unreal and blueprint but I've heard that's not the best?

Following this thread has got me all hot and nasty for making my own train wreck and alienating all my friends.
I'll make the company!!

Basic

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was going through a box of old stuff I was getting rid of and found a Duck Tales comic, where the premise was Scrooge McDuck was racing to find what he wanted the most:

legendary incan gold

holy poo poo if that was the reference meant

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this thread became very inspirational since I last read it. warms my heart

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Game Maker Studio 2 is very good for 2d games, improved massively from Studio 1 which is what Barkley2 is/was being made in.
Though they're starting to pull some real "bull poo poo" making me a bit worried about the future of the engine.

what's the bullshit you're referring to? I know that they recently changed the trial to a 30-day period with unlimited resources rather than unlimited time with limited resources, is it related to that?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barakley

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Barackley Odunker

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

romanowski posted:

what's the bullshit you're referring to? I know that they recently changed the trial to a 30-day period with unlimited resources rather than unlimited time with limited resources, is it related to that?
Yeah, that's a big part of it, feels like Playtech is putting pressure on Yoyogames to expand, forcing them to "innovate" and move into directions that don't necessarily make sense. Game Maker built its popularity on ease of access for beginners, it literally began as a teaching tool for programming and game design. It's what got me into game development alongside RPG Maker.
They keep changing things that make it a larger step for kids and new devs to get into, increasing the price for the program and more recently removing the unlimited trial to force folks to become paying customers. 12 year olds who arnt rich kids cant afford a 100$ program they don't yet know how to use, and 30 days isn't nearly enough for them to learn.

Would not surprise me if the whole program turned into a monthly paid service eventually, this is almost certainly something Playtech must be pushing for as we speak. Its like they are trying to take Unity's market share, and thats not gonna happen.

They started stuff like a publishing service that they shitcanned about a year later when it probably didn't make any money. Again, because 95% of the user base is kids and beginners - what were they trying to launch, a kind of vanity publisher for video games or something? Whether this is what they intended to launch or not, I presume this is what it was turning into.

They were acquired by Playtech in 2015, so that's the moment the company's objective presumably became endless growth for the sake of a larger corporation instead of just sustaining itself and its employees, so they will now keep "innovating" to try and expand yoyogames' revenue until that search for growth to please Playtech turns the program into garbage and Playtech shuts em down, putting all their workers out of a job, and leaving their entire userbase with a dead toolset they have a lot of time invested into.

More recently I was greeted by a new EULA to agree to that added a bunch of stuff, including a new arbitration clause, and I could not continue working on my horror game project that day until I accepted that new agreement, it literally locked me out of accessing my own work until I agreed to whatever they wanted. You know... for kids!

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 14, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yoyogames is for Corporate Attitude now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thanks for the replies, downloading unity and godot

its a shame cause id like to try GS2 but despite their blurb saying there are "no barriers to entry" it costs a minimum of £80

my ultimate goal is to create a british version of liberal crime squad (gently caress you ubisoft) then get arrested by the police
but first ima just try to make an insanely basic turn based combat system and maybe a map to walk around on

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The biggest progression blocker in the demo has just been brasted to doomtemple.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Yeah, that's a big part of it, feels like Playtech is putting pressure on Yoyogames to expand, forcing them to "innovate" and move into directions that don't necessarily make sense. Game Maker built its popularity on ease of access for beginners, it literally began as a teaching tool for programming and game design. It's what got me into game development alongside RPG Maker.
They keep changing things that make it a larger step for kids and new devs to get into, increasing the price for the program and more recently removing the unlimited trial to force folks to become paying customers. 12 year olds who arnt rich kids cant afford a 100$ program they don't yet know how to use, and 30 days isn't nearly enough for them to learn.

Would not surprise me if the whole program turned into a monthly paid service eventually, this is almost certainly something Playtech must be pushing for as we speak. Its like they are trying to take Unity's market share, and thats not gonna happen.

They started stuff like a publishing service that they shitcanned about a year later when it probably didn't make any money. Again, because 95% of the user base is kids and beginners - what were they trying to launch, a kind of vanity publisher for video games or something? Whether this is what they intended to launch or not, I presume this is what it was turning into.

They were acquired by Playtech in 2015, so that's the moment the company's objective presumably became endless growth for the sake of a larger corporation instead of just sustaining itself and its employees, so they will now keep "innovating" to try and expand yoyogames' revenue until that search for growth to please Playtech turns the program into garbage and Playtech shuts em down, putting all their workers out of a job, and leaving their entire userbase with a dead toolset they have a lot of time invested into.

More recently I was greeted by a new EULA to agree to that added a bunch of stuff, including a new arbitration clause, and I could not continue working on my horror game project that day until I accepted that new agreement, it literally locked me out of accessing my own work until I agreed to whatever they wanted. You know... for kids!

:capitalism:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

thanks for the replies, downloading unity and godot

its a shame cause id like to try GS2 but despite their blurb saying there are "no barriers to entry" it costs a minimum of £80

my ultimate goal is to create a british version of liberal crime squad (gently caress you ubisoft) then get arrested by the police
but first ima just try to make an insanely basic turn based combat system and maybe a map to walk around on

Speaking as someone who has 0 programming ability and has slowly been learning to use unity to make a turn based combat system: Unity is a pain. :argh:

Probably better overall when you can use it properly, though. :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so they're taking the barkley 2 style of management

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So when’s that gang tag happening? I need to waste money on it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cuntellectual posted:

Speaking as someone who has 0 programming ability and has slowly been learning to use unity to make a turn based combat system: Unity is a pain. :argh:

Probably better overall when you can use it properly, though. :v:

i don't use unity properly and it's not a pain at all

but i must stress that this is specifically because i'm not using it properly :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The newest RPG Maker has a feature where you can just import artwork and automatically use it as level geometry or monster sprites instead of having to go to the trouble to make sprite sheets seperately and place everything manually, it's a godsend if you're someone who is better at art than coding and as anyone who spent countless afternoons making tilesets will tell you is incredibly convenient. Like as much as indie game devs bitch about the fact that you can't just make a game and put it on Steam and become successful overnight like you used to and you have to actually be interesting and unique and good instead of just existing because of how crowded the market is now the fact is that making a game is no longer the impenetrable mess it was even a few years ago is a net good for anyone interested in it as a hobby rather than an alternative to employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So now that Game Maker is basically inevitably going to become For Corporate Attitude, is Unity now the closest thing you'll get to a way to start game deving as a complete beginner? Or would it still be GM and gently caress you, give us money.