Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ponzicar posted:

Is there anywhere in the US where it's actually normal to go the posted speed limit?

Well Montana used to not have speed limits on some of the roads (until recent laws restricted those highways to 75, boooo). So there used to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Pochoclo posted:

Allow me to unveil my latest invention: a camera mounted on the rear-view mirror, recording the driver's face, using machine learning to detect when their attention isn't directed at the road. This will make the car seat literally electroshock the driver's rear end until their attention goes back to the road.

In case the valuation planks we just repurpose them as sex toys, win/win

This is good!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this is mostly the weird old man scared luddite thread.

We're mostly people with tech and/or science backgrounds who work in tech and have seen behind a lot of the hype. This is not an I loving LOVE SCIENCE-friendly thread, no.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We're mostly people with tech and/or science backgrounds who work in tech and have seen behind a lot of the hype. This is not an I loving LOVE SCIENCE-friendly thread, no.

Can you name a single technology mentioned in all the pages of this thread, or even any even newish technology at all that this thread has not come to the consensus that it's scary and bad and going to kill them?

(or if you don't want to speak for the thread, can you name a single plausible near future technology you personally might approve of or think might be okay?)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine getting defensive when people aren't glowingly enraptured by consumer technology

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can you name a single technology mentioned in all the pages of this thread, or even any even newish technology at all that this thread has not come to the consensus that it's scary and bad and going to kill them?

I mean, it would be nice if irresponsible tech hustlers stayed away from medicine, surveillance, automotive, and propulsion, where disruption results in death. It's not a matter of "scary" it's a matter of "this is dangerous if done irresponsibly." :shrug:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ponzicar posted:

Is there anywhere in the US where it's actually normal to go the posted speed limit?

I-5 in washington state :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's almost as if this thread primarily exists to talk about dumb/bad technology and not to fawn over technology that's fine. It's, like, right in the title.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(or if you don't want to speak for the thread, can you name a single plausible near future technology you personally might approve of or think might be okay?)

What's the point of discussing uncontroversial technologies?

But please if you want to chat about recent improvements in PV processing or wind turbine blades or small modular reactors, go for it!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
look, if you can't even think of one nice thing to say about technology in the "post about bad technology" thread, then you may as well just go live in a cave and eat bugs, luddite

also let's go to uspol and discuss all the good things republicans have done for us recently

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

It's almost as if this thread primarily exists to talk about dumb/bad technology and not to fawn over technology that's fine. It's, like, right in the title.

but it's so obvious this is the scared old man thread that would put literally anything in the "I'm scared of it" thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

but it's so obvious this is the scared old man thread that would put literally anything in the "I'm scared of it" thread.

Like usual you just keep saying poo poo no matter how related to reality it is.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What's really obvious is that you don't understand the words you're using, because absolutely no one in this thread seems to be scared of anything that gets posted about. It's possible to be highly critical of something without being afraid of it, and it's extremely weird that you don't seem to understand this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

What's really obvious is that you don't understand the words you're using, because absolutely no one in this thread seems to be scared of anything that gets posted about. It's possible to be highly critical of something without being afraid of it, and it's extremely weird that you don't seem to understand this.

his identity is appreciating technology, and knowing things about how consumer technology works, so if you say bad things about consumer technology it is insulting to oocc

you know the dudes who get all "i don't have one life, i have many" about video games? that's how oocc is about like android updates and purchasing electronics from newegg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

luxury handset posted:

his identity is appreciating technology, and knowing things about how consumer technology works, so if you say bad things about consumer technology it is insulting to oocc

you know the dudes who get all "i don't have one life, i have many" about video games? that's how oocc is about like android updates and purchasing electronics from newegg

Hey, I can chat about MSVC updates and cool C++ techniques and upcoming graphics tech all the time, this is just not the thread for that. :shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

My identity is petting global cats.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you weren't so enfeebled with old age and anger about a world which you don't understand, you would post about it in this, the technology appreciation and praise thread. alas,

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

luxury handset posted:

I know, it's just extremely annoying to read the same argument year after year. Everything he says in these threads basically boils down to this childish after school special logic, where the bullies who are saying mean things are actually the ones who are scared and vulnerable.

It's not even like I mind people enjoying technology. All of my marketable skills are 100% dependent on technology being incredibly important, and yet somehow I can still manage to be critical of technology and acknowledge that new technologies should not go unexamined.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
On the other hand, as a dev it's kinda cool to think this is the "Frankensteins United Against Monsters" thread. Where we swap stories about whose wife was killed by whose monster because we used an abnormal brain or forgot to set the love flag to true.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Countdown to someone naming one and being told it doesn't count in 3... 2... 1...

I'll take the bait. Molten salt thorium reactors. I highly approve of them, think they'd be okay, know they've been prototyped and used successfully in a few places, and think it'd be lovely to see them proliferate.

Let's flip this. OOCC: Please name a single plausible near future technology you personally don't approve of or think would be a bad idea. In lieu of that, I'll accept a random entry from whatever pages of Popular Science didn't do it for you as wank material.

My general view on tech stuff changed when I moved to the SV area and realized that so many of the people involved in the current wave of "tech" are goddamned overpaid children who sometimes can't even figure out the coffee maker but think they can code their way to an AI-driven utopia. I seriously wouldn't trust most of these people to watch my cat for a week, let alone revolutionize (insert whatever the hell you want here).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sundae posted:

Let's flip this. OOCC: Please name a single plausible near future technology you personally don't approve of or think would be a bad idea. In lieu of that, I'll accept a random entry from whatever pages of Popular Science didn't do it for you as wank material.

Bitcoin is a clear example of something stupid, doesn’t work well, has unsolvable problems and actual funny events associated, thread should be stuff like that, not “panic at every single new thing”

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bitcoin is a clear example of something stupid, doesn’t work well, has unsolvable problems and actual funny events associated, thread should be stuff like that, not “panic at every single new thing”

See we're taking it the step further and accepting most of what Silicon Valley does is no smarter than bitcoin.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sundae posted:

goddamned overpaid children who sometimes can't even figure out the coffee maker

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Virtual reality is pretty cool. I may be biased because it features in my job, but it's got a lot of untapped potential and there's finally enough of it in high enough quality to get good experimentation going. Might still flop like in the 1990's, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :unsmith:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ponzicar posted:

suburban school zones during 20mph time
big ol flashing sign, 2x-10x fines depending on where you are, cops stalkin that time window

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feinne posted:

See we're taking it the step further and accepting most of what Silicon Valley does is no smarter than bitcoin.

i was hoping that when people saw what an absolute embarassment elon musk's tunnels scheme turned out to be, that there would be similar skepticism towards the revolutionary claims of how self driving cars will solve traffic, somehow. but i guess the allure of having an extra hour per day to shitpost is too strong

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Paradoxish posted:

It's not even like I mind people enjoying technology. All of my marketable skills are 100% dependent on technology being incredibly important, and yet somehow I can still manage to be critical of technology and acknowledge that new technologies should not go unexamined.

It would be great if new tech was critically examined itt.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite part about this post is that you so little understand your position that it is impossible for you to understand the position of the other posters in the thread and so you resort to name calling.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It would be great if new tech was critically examined itt.

Same criticism here.

Edit: to clarify my statement to Surprise Giraffe.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 14, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also I don't know that there's much to critically examine right now, unless you've got something to post? People are just discussing self-driving as a concept, so of course it's going to be a little loose.

When the tunnel news broke it actually did get critically discussed with talk about ventilation, hammering down exactly how stupid it was and someone did a write-up of a neat historical attempt to design smaller tunnels without sacrificing safety.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, if the technology job market went bust tomorrow, I'd be completely hosed.

Speaking of technologies that I am optimistic for... medical hardware like pacemakers are cool, because they allow people with health problems to live better life than they would without them.

And yet, they absolutely belong to this thread, because to save costs, the next gen programming heads will be controllable via OSX/Android tablets, and the programmers working on the SW there is a bunch of the cheapest outsourcers and the security concerns are resolved with "but why would anyone want to hack pacemakers"?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

In the first Watch_Dogs climax the behind-the-scenes antagonist taunts you from behind a plexi wall in a room devoid of electronics; you then disable his pacemaker remotely. Every critic called that scene dumb and unrealistic :staredog:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Xarn posted:

Yeah, if the technology job market went bust tomorrow, I'd be completely hosed.

Speaking of technologies that I am optimistic for... medical hardware like pacemakers are cool, because they allow people with health problems to live better life than they would without them.

And yet, they absolutely belong to this thread, because to save costs, the next gen programming heads will be controllable via OSX/Android tablets, and the programmers working on the SW there is a bunch of the cheapest outsourcers and the security concerns are resolved with "but why would anyone want to hack pacemakers"?

What the gently caress?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mega Man Battle Network was far too prescient.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Sorry to hear your heart stopped beating sir, have you tried turning it off and on again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually I'm surprised no one's tried to market personal AI helpers who'll protect you from the internet, but then again I suppose Bonzi Buddy monopolised that market, and corps prefer to invite you to blindly trust their mascots instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ruffian Price posted:

In the first Watch_Dogs climax the behind-the-scenes antagonist taunts you from behind a plexi wall in a room devoid of electronics; you then disable his pacemaker remotely. Every critic called that scene dumb and unrealistic :staredog:

Wasn't hackers successfully collecting bitcoin ransoms from hospitals in exchange for not shutting them down already a thing by the time that game came out? :wtc:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 14, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, medical devices need a mode of operation that isn't hooked to the internet of things. The IoT is kind of a dumb technology anyways. I get some of it, like emailing my printer, getting alarm updates on the fly, thermostat adjustments, but lightbulbs, coffee machines, and tossters being internet facing is just a bunch of bot nodes in waiting. If I recall there already have been DDoS attacks involving compromised IoT devices.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think the pacemaker would be closer to RFID than turn your heart into a WiFi hotspot.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

luxury handset posted:

i was hoping that when people saw what an absolute embarassment elon musk's tunnels scheme turned out to be, that there would be similar skepticism towards the revolutionary claims of how self driving cars will solve traffic, somehow. but i guess the allure of having an extra hour per day to shitpost is too strong

Yeah honestly I hate driving so I wish self driving was going to be a thing in the near future. It's definitely not for me though, because I live a bit north of Philadelphia where the weather is appalling and lanes are a suggestion at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
self driving cars will be cool for the personal convenience of having or using a personal automobile without having to pay attention to operate it. but in terms of traffic, this just means you can ignore being in a traffic jam as you play angry birds or whatever on the center console. people want to come up with absurd extrapolations like fleet cars and zero parking cities because it's more visionary and inspiring to talk about what these technologies could do for society as a whole, rather than people being honest and saying "yeah it would be great because i can watch my shows during my auto commute" which sounds petty and self-interested and not exactly a game-changer breakthrough of incremental technology

too many self driving car advocates think that adding more cars to the roads will somehow cure traffic if the car is sufficiently magic and this should be as obvious as watching musks little dumb AGT car putter along a tunnel and thinking "wow this will solve precisely nothing"