Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

ahhh, swish

bush did 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

IMHO it probably was Iran. Different leaders with different alignments have been on the record that "if we're not allowed to trade, no one gets to trade." They've probably made the calculation that there won't be any substantial reprisals from the US - especially if these attacks are so minor in scale that no one is injured and the sailors get to have some tea afterwards. Namely, any minor action that might ensue still poses less threat than lack of goods, high prices, unemployment, etc. while the government is still dealing with some of the worst flooding in recent history. Despite the German visit and some optimism about Instex, Khomenei has been really dismissive of it as a meaningful response to the US's rogue state behavior. I'm saying this as my family in Europe is sending necessary medical supplies to my family in Iran because of these idiotic secondary sanctions.

That being said, Iran has just cause - especially if they were just attacked the day before.

Even if it's UAE, KSA, or anyone else - it's not like they'll do poo poo about it without the US doing something first. It could be staged and I'd easily believe it, but I'd put my money on the opposite.

In other news, Iran did release a US resident accused of spying as a carrot of sorts: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48593391 again proving it's the Most Morale Islamic Hegemon instead of Khashogging him.

e: Also worth identifying the absurd arrogance of KSA/UAE. Iran has been willing to have talks with them but they're too intransigent and stubborn.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Jun 13, 2019

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

THS posted:

im gay

:same:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

guidoanselmi posted:

IMHO it probably was Iran.
IMHO it probably was not Iran.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lmao we need to deploy pattern recognition. so for instance, if this is the beginning of a pattern of weird poo poo done for no reason, then

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Fast Luck posted:

IMHO it probably was not Iran.

Whichever way, asserting Iran's right to self-defense from inhumane sanctions is a better position to take than clinging to the hope they didn't do it if the media relents and believes in the administration.

Precisely because of idiot democrats like

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1139253097220456448

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol these tanker attacks are 100% the saudis trying to false flag trump into doing something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/1139311693870358528

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

guidoanselmi posted:

Whichever way, asserting Iran's right to self-defense from inhumane sanctions is a better position to take than clinging to the hope they didn't do it if the media relents and believes in the administration.

"Self-defense" doesn't work if you can't claim credit for an attack, and the US/Saudis are chomping at the bit for some kind of military action against Iran that will make their situation even worse. This sort of analysis doesn't make any sense on its face, especially when this doesn't really count as a tit-for-tat attack. If it was an attack on infrastructure that would be tit-for-tat, not an attack on a Japanese ship.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Iran attacked a Japanese ship while meeting with the prime minister of japan because they’re so crazy and evil

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol so this is 100% the saudis huh

the yanks attacking a japanese oil tanker doesn't sound right - that's how you run out of friends. the saudis don't give a gently caress about what japan thinks otoh

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

im gay

Go Raptors

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, if the mines were meant to sink the ships they would have been placed below the waterline. That's their reason for being.

Instead, they've been placed above the water line. The ships are damaged and there's some scary looking footage, including of a mine being removed by the Iranian Coast Guard.

If Iran is doing this, it's doing this to make it look like someone is trying to make Iran look bad. But I figure the attackers have Saudi ties because Saudi Arabia.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Self-defense" doesn't work if you can't claim credit for an attack, and the US/Saudis are chomping at the bit for some kind of military action against Iran that will make their situation even worse. This sort of analysis doesn't make any sense on its face, especially when this doesn't really count as a tit-for-tat attack. If it was an attack on infrastructure that would be tit-for-tat, not an attack on a Japanese ship.

I don't know what analysis you're referring to here if you're expecting me to defend or justify it.

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010
clearly japan did it to gain leverage during the negotiations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

abe's resurgence of japanese supremacy in the western pacific and indian ocean is manifesting ask we speak

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

RIICHI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere 2.0

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

o'then rishii

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1139264349300830208

pussied out by not saying 9/11 was an inside job smdh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hope i'm not the only one who heard this in kiryu-san's voice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1139481358139559936

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

A ship leaving the UAE for the Indian Ocean would have to have its starboard side pointing towards the Arabian peninsula.

lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol @ the idea of trying to concoct a false flag and you let the victim of your attack easily discredit you

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

in the old days these guys would have kept their mouths shut. this is one of those things that shows you how much the empire's declining

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

meanwhile brown moses and volkerball are convinced that an attack without a iranian motive and that was apparently designed to do nothing more than put a hole in some sheet metal is a sign that the revolutionary guard unilaterally ordered the attack

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

how do you look at this farce and not come to the conclusion its some hairbrained scheme cooked up by trump and MBS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Start writing and calling Congress critters about adamantly opposing Iran war

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I was wrong - they were not given tea.

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1139226592167780352

THS
Sep 15, 2017

[Dune voice]

plans within plans...

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how do you look at this farce and not come to the conclusion its some hairbrained scheme cooked up by trump and MBS

easily, if you're one of the axis of evil (US, Israel, UAE, and Saudi A (thats right bitch this axis has FOUR)) or afraid of them

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

sick zip everywhere posted:

clearly japan did it to gain leverage during the negotiations

this is called a power move

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
this false flag poo poo funny to me. everyone so easily forgets that mbs ordered the murder of a prominent dissident journalist in a saudi consulate. you think he's above ordering attacks on foreign shipping in an attempt to give the us a reason to attack iran?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Another oopsie by our good saudi friends

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

They were just trying to interrogate the tankers and things got a little out of hand :shobon:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dont read the d&d thread. just dont

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

dont read the d&d thread. just dont
too late and now i am dead. sunk to watery grave by limpet mine. anyways, i am deeply sorry

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this false flag poo poo funny to me. everyone so easily forgets that mbs ordered the murder of a prominent dissident journalist in a saudi consulate. you think he's above ordering attacks on foreign shipping in an attempt to give the us a reason to attack iran?

There's probably a giant, game-show personal check from MBS to Eric Prince. The "For" line says "War with Iran" The check is in the oval office, because Trump likes big things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

extremely thankful brown moses is on the case with google search and a 2019 edition of MS paint