Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Unfortunately Sense needs to be installed into the breaker panel and needs an electrician to install which I don't want to do.

My smart reader already wirelessly broadcasts usage data to compatible Zigbee devices, I just can't find many companies taking advantage of it anymore.

They have installation instructions in the package and it looks super easy.

Its literally put in your breaker box, clamp two wires and run into an open breaker. The warning to use an electrician is to cover their rear end since you are working with electricity but if you can use a screwdriver you should be fine (but still be careful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

bobfather posted:

The user interface isn't as polished as SmartThings, which may influence the spouse acceptance factor if you are use the user interface

Can you post a few screenshots to show what you mean? I've glanced at their website and their UI seems fine to me. SmartThings, as "polished" as their apps may be, seems to think loading times are fun for every drat thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keystoned posted:

They have installation instructions in the package and it looks super easy.

Its literally put in your breaker box, clamp two wires and run into an open breaker. The warning to use an electrician is to cover their rear end since you are working with electricity but if you can use a screwdriver you should be fine (but still be careful).

I don't have any open breakers either :smith:

I did just find out that the Chai box I have is a repacked Rainforest device so I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to get this thing working again or at least some data from it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Heners_UK posted:

Can you post a few screenshots to show what you mean? I've glanced at their website and their UI seems fine to me. SmartThings, as "polished" as their apps may be, seems to think loading times are fun for every drat thing.

How about a video?

https://imgur.com/a/RiHqff2

This is the cloud version of the dashboard. Accessing the local version from your home LAN is even faster. Moving around individual device tiles isn't great (basically, you create an N x N grid and place tiles on it). There's weird design choices like tapping color bulbs, which brings up controls to change color, level, or color temperature and then the switch to turn the bulb on (at the bottom).

Note that you can create many different dashboards. This one is better for a tablet, but I will eventually create a phone-style dashboard with all the same tiles, but in a two-column arrangement.

The interface is highly customizable. See this thread for examples of what's possible.

Compared to SmartThings' interface, however unpolished Hubitat is right now, it's way, WAY faster.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 13, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i just got a Philips Hue set up, HomeKit going on my iOS devices and Homebridge installed on my Synology. Is it worth ~$60 for a used gen 4 Apple TV to run headless to get the Apple Home's automation functions?

P.S. what's the best HomeKit thermostat? Nest still the leading brand?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TenementFunster posted:

i just got a Philips Hue set up, HomeKit going on my iOS devices and Homebridge installed on my Synology. Is it worth ~$60 for a used gen 4 Apple TV to run headless to get the Apple Home's automation functions?

I like the homekit automation with my ATV4, but I wish they would improve the app a bit to make it more clear what devices are scheduled to go on/off when. Apparently iOS 13 will improve it? In any case $60 for an ATV4 seems like a good buy.

For thermostats I was looking at the ecobee 3 until I realized my furnace was too old and crappy to bother with it anyway. The 4 just adds crap like alexa iirc.

Costco online and in store has good deals on the ecobee bundled with extra sensors sometimes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bought both my ecobees from Costco. The best deal I found. Even sweeter I got 300 bucks in rebates from my electric company for installing them.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Now I see exactly what you mean. There are a few strange design choices there compared to what I'm used to. Granted, we too mostly use either the Echos or the physical zwave switches to turn most things on and off, and the Hue app itself for colour changing, so if I do make the jump, not sure it would bother me.

And as for speed..... ooohhh so tempting!

Off to Craigslist to see how much ST v2 Hubs go for...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Nest is Google, and soon will be even more tied in to the Google stuff. It has no native Homekit integration.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ecobee has good HomeKit integration BUT the native app / controls are robust enough as far as establishing ranges and zones and controls and schedules and thresholds and just about loving everything you may want to mess with when it comes to AC/heating that you’ll never actually use HomeKit with it. It also has the annoying thing that if you do control the ecobee with HomeKit it overrides your schedule and doesn’t revert back until you cancel or resume in the ecobee app or thermostat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If I have a non-Homekit Insteon hub, is there anything that I can do to get Homekit to work with my Insteon system? Running a different home automation manager, etc?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

If I have a non-Homekit Insteon hub, is there anything that I can do to get Homekit to work with my Insteon system? Running a different home automation manager, etc?

Depending on yourInsteon model, Home Assistant has both HomeKit and Insteon support. I use it to translate HomeKit to non-HomeKit devices, though no experience with Insteon (works fine with zwave and Nest tho.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kalman posted:

Depending on yourInsteon model, Home Assistant has both HomeKit and Insteon support. I use it to translate HomeKit to non-HomeKit devices, though no experience with Insteon (works fine with zwave and Nest tho.)

Hrmm. I have a retropie collecting dust that I could play with this weekend and try flashing Hass.io. Thanks for the heads up!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone own or know stuff about the Netatmo Smart Smokealarm? I'm wondering if the phone app itself functions as a loud alarm if you want it to, i sleep with earplugs so if poo poo goes down in the basement i wont wake up on the 2nd floor unless the phone alarm itself starts going.

The only info i could find was a advert where the app made a really puny sound that probably wouldn't wake me up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

priznat posted:

I like the homekit automation with my ATV4, but I wish they would improve the app a bit to make it more clear what devices are scheduled to go on/off when. Apparently iOS 13 will improve it? In any case $60 for an ATV4 seems like a good buy.

For thermostats I was looking at the ecobee 3 until I realized my furnace was too old and crappy to bother with it anyway. The 4 just adds crap like alexa iirc.

Costco online and in store has good deals on the ecobee bundled with extra sensors sometimes.
thanks! would there be a problem running it headless? i already have a Samsung smart tv and don’t want to add more bullshit, so i won’t hook it up to the TV if i don’t have to

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So I got hass.io up and running on my RaspPi, but unclear on how to add new components. Insteon isn't listed, but according to the below link, I just need to add that component and configure it for my hub (which is basically just login/pass) but it's very unclear on how to add the component. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/insteon/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

thanks! would there be a problem running it headless? i already have a Samsung smart tv and don’t want to add more bullshit, so i won’t hook it up to the TV if i don’t have to

I think you'd probably need to hook it up at some point in order to configure stuff (wifi?) but I don't see it being a problem after that. I have never tried running mine headless however..

e: looks like no problem, per the official eve account (maker of homekit stuff)

https://twitter.com/meeteve/status/910527794966355968

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

So I got hass.io up and running on my RaspPi, but unclear on how to add new components. Insteon isn't listed, but according to the below link, I just need to add that component and configure it for my hub (which is basically just login/pass) but it's very unclear on how to add the component. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/insteon/

Welcome to hass.io I hope you know yaml. You need to add basically everything by hand to your configuration.yaml

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't messed with it but I think the most recent release notes say something about editing the configuration yaml files is no longer necessary if you don't want to.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

priznat posted:

I think you'd probably need to hook it up at some point in order to configure stuff (wifi?) but I don't see it being a problem after that. I have never tried running mine headless however..

e: looks like no problem, per the official eve account (maker of homekit stuff)

https://twitter.com/meeteve/status/910527794966355968
sweet, thanks! i successfully homebridged everything I need to (minus the Tuya outlets, which i'm just going to replace with native HomeKit-compatiable ones but it's too much of a pain in the rear end finding the id/key), and I've ordered a Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat, as although I have a C-wire for extra power for the touch models, I figure I might as well save $40 because I'm gonna be doing it all from my phone anyway. once I get the AppleTV this week, I'll be all set.

what could have been a ~$30 simple TV bias light install has turned into an entire home automation project. It's so cool what a modern NAS can do aside from serving up episodes of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Plex at 2am.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve gone with HomeKit for my somewhat limited automation as well, I already used the ATV4 in the living room and it was a super easy setup.

Most of my stuff are the IKEA lights so far with a wemo plug thrown in for various seasonal things (fans in the summer, Xmas tree in the winter).

I’m pretty stoked for the HomeKit improvements coming in iOS 13 especially for the camera stuff, I will probably get a couple of the new ones rolling out then.

Something that tracks the local indoor/outdoor temperature/humidity/etc would also be handy.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

priznat posted:

Something that tracks the local indoor/outdoor temperature/humidity/etc would also be handy.
the fancier honeywell and ecobee models do outside temp/daily forecast

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Throwing hass.io to the side for a bit I am trying out Homebridge to get my Insteon devices into Homekit. Anyone here use Homebridge before and gotten their equipment to work? I've gotten as far as getting the switch to show up in Home on iOS but it doesn't do anything. Feels like there's something missing.

Using homebridge-platform-insteonlocal https://github.com/kuestess/homebridge-platform-insteonlocal

e: HOLY poo poo forget that message. Stupid password on the Hub was a capital I and not a lower case L.

I am in business!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 18, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

How did it go? Also, did you order the Aqara gateway (wasn't linked)?
I did get the aqara gateway. And it is now all working!

Unfortunately the latest firmware it comes with closes the port which home assistant communicates with this requires some pretty complex tinkering to resolve.

You need to disassemble the gateway(special screwdriver required) and hook it up(soldering required) to a PC using a USB-UART adapter. Then use Putty to connect to the virtual COM port and run some commands to open the required port on the internal firewall of the gateway.

Once i'd done all that though it works perfectly and i can now add more XiaoMi Aqara/Mijia devices to my home assistant.

I've also discovered that the plant monitor that i linked does not talk to the gateway and instead talks directly to your phone app using bluetooth, I'm currently investigating a solution to this. This solution will probably be to use a ESP32 running ESPHome as a bluetooth to mqtt proxy.

I've now ordered a Xiaomi Door sensor which i plan to use to trigger some more automations. Overall i'm happy with how it's working it was just a bit of a pain to get the gateway working with home assistant.

Here's what my current Work In Progress Home Assistant Dashboard looks like:

- The temperature graphs are from the Xiaomi temperature sensors
- The Dressing table lights use a Xiaomi wireless button to turn on a smart plug using an automation.
- Other lights are either Hue bulbs or Sonoff-Tasmota wifi switches
- The TV stuff is from Logitech Harmony Integration
- The presence detection uses a combination of the Home Assistant iOS app and a Pi Zero W running the following code https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Slash posted:

I did get the aqara gateway. And it is now all working!

Is there a particular reason you didn't use zigbee2mqtt instead of the aqara gateway?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a particular reason you didn't use zigbee2mqtt instead of the aqara gateway?

Wanted to get it working with the official kit first (because i thought it would easier, lol) Will investigate the zigbee2mqtt stuff further down the line.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Anyone used the Hue Motion detector? I'm kind of thinking of just grabbing it instead of upgrading my pi since it looks like the next version of homekit supports triggers based on temp.

quantegy
May 18, 2002
Not sure if this is better in DIY but I'll start here. Looking to install a Nest Hello doorbell. I'm going to have to upgrade the transformer since it is only 10 volts, but I can't figure out if I will also have to change out the chime to match the new transformer. I don't see any markings on the chime for a max voltage, I think it is a Nutone KB-10 but that also might just be the model of the decorative cover.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wait, is there not a homebridge plug-in that will spoof a homekit automation device, or so i actually need to buy an ATV or ipod?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

quantegy posted:

Not sure if this is better in DIY but I'll start here. Looking to install a Nest Hello doorbell. I'm going to have to upgrade the transformer since it is only 10 volts, but I can't figure out if I will also have to change out the chime to match the new transformer. I don't see any markings on the chime for a max voltage, I think it is a Nutone KB-10 but that also might just be the model of the decorative cover.

Nah, looking at replacement parts the most common transformer is a 16v transformer, so you should be good.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

wait, is there not a homebridge plug-in that will spoof a homekit automation device, or so i actually need to buy an ATV or ipod?

I can’t say if there’s a way to spoof an Apple TV or iPad, but I can say that out of the home, my Homebridge devices don’t work anyway (approved HomeKit devices do work). I might be overlooking a setting in my JSON file.

Given that Homebridge devices don’t work out of the home for me, I’d say it’s unlikely that a spoofed HomeKit hub would work outside of the home.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bobfather posted:

I can’t say if there’s a way to spoof an Apple TV or iPad, but I can say that out of the home, my Homebridge devices don’t work anyway (approved HomeKit devices do work)
fffffff wish i knew that last week before i ordered and setup all these homebridge outlets

edit: could i get around that by using IFTTT?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 20, 2019

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

fffffff wish i knew that last week before i ordered and setup all these homebridge outlets

See here for possible fixes.

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/issues/2040

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Thanks! Seems like a weird crapshoot based on how the Apple TV is feeling that day, huh?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

Thanks! Seems like a weird crapshoot based on how the Apple TV is feeling that day, huh?

Potentially. I can't actually ever remember it working on my Homebridge setup, but I've always used HomeKit as a secondary controller (previous primary being SmartThings and now Hubitat). I'd be a lot more bothered if HomeKit was my primary.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bobfather posted:

Potentially. I can't actually ever remember it working on my Homebridge setup, but I've always used HomeKit as a secondary controller (previous primary being SmartThings and now Hubitat). I'd be a lot more bothered if HomeKit was my primary.
Well hopefully I’ll figure it out. I’m trying to stay on Homekit to keep things simple and maximize Apple integration for the gf

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well, the end goal of Marzipan seems to be using your mac as a home hub too, although that won't exactly be a cheaper option.

I had an ipad as my hub for a long time and it was fine, sometimes it took longer for the home app to find it than I'd like, and one time when I was gone for half a week i had to re-establish it as a hub (and another time where I just didn't bother to charge it for a week) but if I took my ipad with me on a day trip or to work everything was usually fine when I got home. You might get more utility out of that than an Apple TV, and there's great sales around Black Friday.

Although personally I wanted a new media box anyway and am already pretty deep in the apple ecosystem so turning it to a hub was a nice bonus and it is definitely more stable.

HomeAssistant can allegedly work as a hub but I've never tired it. It does turn on my Homekit devices though (which is part of why I gave up on it because it would go through an error loop where it kept turning my apple TV on every 30 seconds)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just noticed something. The Home Assistant Config Helper for VS Code has 10,000 current installs.

I never would've guessed that the number of people using HA, VS Code, and knew about the VS extension for HA would be that large.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I wonder if the Hassio addon https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-vscode counts within those numbers?
Because it's basically a one click install, so I'd imagine that might count for a fair chunk of them. A low barrier of entry.
Though if it's separate, there's likely another load doing it that way too, like I am.

Though it's been incredibly slow on my end since last update. Haven't investigated why yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MeKeV posted:

I wonder if the Hassio addon https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-vscode counts within those numbers?
Because it's basically a one click install, so I'd imagine that might count for a fair chunk of them. A low barrier of entry.
Though if it's separate, there's likely another load doing it that way too, like I am.

Though it's been incredibly slow on my end since last update. Haven't investigated why yet.

Oh yeah, I think that you're right.