Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kinguin is G2A level of shady. Please don't ever give them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've been pissing around trying to find a good method that'll work regardless of which way the congressman paths and I've been plagued with the SA indicator turning red when it shouldn't/not turning green when I delete footage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The congressman is the easiest target in the game. I did the guru first, and part of my plan for him involved grabbing a mansion security disguise from the one guard who wanders in and out of the lawyer's office. With that disguise it was trivial to get into the mansion via Rocco's apartment, head down into the cellar, poison the glass and leave. Knocked a lot of people out in the lawyer's office, it wasn't the most elegant plan, but got SA on it anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I mean a method that doesn't involve waiting around for him to drink poison. :v:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Grab some extra weapons and a bodyguard/military disguise to carry them and drop them where his bodyguards will path into them. Then take out the bodyguards while they go to the security locker to stash the weapons.

I also tried to poison the guru and he didn’t drink from the glass I’d spiked, so I had to clear the chandelier space to drop it on him....but then I saw the fire axe and I couldn’t resist. I forget sometimes how fun this game is when you let yourself improvise.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Pilchenstein posted:

I mean a method that doesn't involve waiting around for him to drink poison. :v:
Take out his guards, wait for him to walk up the railing on the left side of the house and push him off the cliff. (don't forget to distract the maid standing close by with a coin toss)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've been having a lot more fun with ETs now that I've got my final SA suit. Completely screwed up dropping the chandelier on the guru and comically missed a headshot while peaking around the corner only to smash a window behind him. Second landed and I ran out unseen while everyone was freaking out.

Going for SA is fine as a challenge now and then but I prefer salvaging screwups in this game, as also in my life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While I could probably SA things I'm too impatient to ever try and it's more fun to bungle my way to success (or not) :haw:

Wolfsheim posted:

Just a quick post to reiterate that the sticky pistol Miami one where you have to kill the two second floor guys with accidents is the thing that made me not do any escalations forever because of how dogshit it is

I don't recall that one why did it suck

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fuego Fish posted:

Elusive targets are bullshit and every so-called "easy silent assassin" tutorial video that relies on pixel-perfect coin tosses and split-second timing are even more bullshit. I loving failed but at that point I was just glad to see it over and done with. Fifteen loving minutes of sitting and waiting for this rear end in a top hat to drink a glass of wine he was supposedly "guaranteed" to drink from, unable to restart because I'd dropped a chandelier on the other guy and somehow managed to lose silent assassin despite nobody loving seeing me do it.

Should've just tossed the explosive golf ball and booked it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I already got my 5 SA's for the suit so I just winged it. Knocked out everyone in the lawyer's office then snapped the Guru's neck when he came back from talking to his mark, got caught shooting the surveillance footage but I escaped by booking it to the hippy's room and taking his clothes. Stole a cook's outfit then went to Caruso's mansion, lured and knocked out all the Politician's guards, then threw a knife at him when he was looking over the railing and ran off to the boat

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

RBA Starblade posted:

While I could probably SA things I'm too impatient to ever try and it's more fun to bungle my way to success (or not) :haw:

I don't recall that one why did it suck
You had to openly carry a pistol in a disguise that made it illegal, you were only allowed to put the pistol away for up to 6 seconds, two of the targets were accidents and I think you even had to hide the bodies.
It was complete cancer.

Edit: It was called the Adrian eclipse. There are probably lots of videos for it on youtube

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 14, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah the illegal pistol thing wasn't even the worst part, it was dragging a guy a few feet, then dropping him to pull out the pistol to reset the timer, then picking him up again, etc etc. It was just incredibly tedious.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

mp5 posted:

Grab some extra weapons and a bodyguard/military disguise to carry them and drop them where his bodyguards will path into them. Then take out the bodyguards while they go to the security locker to stash the weapons.
In my experience, they send for someone to come and remove the weapon rather than take it themselves. I kinda want to do double fiberwire but not if it's going to take ten plus minutes to set up. :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pilchenstein posted:

In my experience, they send for someone to come and remove the weapon rather than take it themselves. I kinda want to do double fiberwire but not if it's going to take ten plus minutes to set up. :v:
It depends on the bodyguard AI. Target bodyguards like Kurt in Paris are supposed to call for someone, but they seem to have forgotten it for some bodyguards such as Robert Knox's. ET bodyguards are a crapshoot because it varies from ET to ET.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

These do. I bumped, knocked out, and stashed one guard right as they entered the garage then dropped my gun in front of the bathroom and tossed a coin. House staff investigates, fetches the other bodyguard who also investigates and calls in a house guard to remove the gun. Either way it was a long enough distraction to syringe the ET and it doesn't take more than 20 seconds to set up. Then I drowned him in a toilet, but I suppose you could garrote him instead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah the illegal pistol thing wasn't even the worst part, it was dragging a guy a few feet, then dropping him to pull out the pistol to reset the timer, then picking him up again, etc etc. It was just incredibly tedious.

Was that also the one where one of the exits had an animation that lasted longer than the six seconds, and your gun was automatically holstered while it played which caused you to fail the mission on exit?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jerusalem posted:

Was that also the one where one of the exits had an animation that lasted longer than the six seconds, and your gun was automatically holstered while it played which caused you to fail the mission on exit?

Y e s

And I did have to redo the friggin thing

Between that and an exit killing someone in Sapienza I automatically skip them now

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is that why the car exit near the mansion entrance isn't there anymore in Hitman 2?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

orcane posted:

Is that why the car exit near the mansion entrance isn't there anymore in Hitman 2?
It is, isn't it? I used it in my Sapienza guide. :v:

I believe they patched it so you can't run someone over while exiting but their early fix was just disabling that exit for elusive targets (which is why you can't use it for the deceivers).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Failed to get silent assassin in that ET for some reason. The UI marker thing turned red when I got spotted by a camera and then I took out the evidence so that shouldn't have voided it right? Must have gotten seen by someone after the cameras, maybe when I killed the guy with the chandelier.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

Failed to get silent assassin in that ET for some reason. The UI marker thing turned red when I got spotted by a camera and then I took out the evidence so that shouldn't have voided it right? Must have gotten seen by someone after the cameras, maybe when I killed the guy with the chandelier.

I had the same issue where destroying the recorder didn't reset SA. I just restarted.
I'm very thankful for the SA indicator because without it I would've thought everything was fine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, since turning that indicator on, I've noticed at least two bugs: sometimes clearing the footage doesn't remove being spotted by a camera (I didn't test but my feeling was it might be related to being spotted multiple times by the same camera?) and sometimes a guy would spot me while I was choking him out somehow. :v:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sininu posted:

I had the same issue where destroying the recorder didn't reset SA. I just restarted.
I'm very thankful for the SA indicator because without it I would've thought everything was fine.

Ah OK then, might just be an issue. I did get to that point multiple times with that happening so just assumed it was a visual bug or whatever, decided I couldn't be bothered to keep resetting and getting to that point. Plenty more ETs and I think I got the suit for Sapienza already anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I entertained myself, if nothing else :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3IO9R8TfTM

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
How did I never know you could get into the basement through the fountain?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

It is, isn't it? I used it in my Sapienza guide. :v:

I believe they patched it so you can't run someone over while exiting but their early fix was just disabling that exit for elusive targets (which is why you can't use it for the deceivers).

Oh alright, I only briefly did normal Sapienza in Hitman 2 for SASO (professional) to get some mastery back and didn't notice the car existed on the map regularly, because I followed some guide that used the seaplane exit. So my only reference was the current ET.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
thread challenge: design your own escalation

Three levels five levels, bartenders with shotguns, lasers, land mines, sticky water pistol, any location, any target, anything goes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't really understand the design goal of escalations over contracts.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sininu posted:

I love the SA Indicator but while it might lead to UI clutter I'd kinda like it if the Icon changed to a red camera if that is what spotted you, a red eye if somebody saw you doing a thing, etc.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

thread challenge: design your own escalation

Three levels five levels, bartenders with shotguns, lasers, land mines, sticky water pistol, any location, any target, anything goes.

1. you must be doing something illegal at all times (dragging body, carrying illegal item, etc.) 10 second culminative grace period
2. cannot trespass for more than 30 culminative seconds
3. must take the disguise of anybody you knock out
4. must change into a fresh disguise every 30 seconds

guess i'd call it the houdini ecdysis

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Stage 1: spend ten minutes setting up this elaborate kill.
Stage 2: do it all over again but this time we've added something that would have done nothing to impede your first run.
Stage 3: do it all over again, again, but now make sure you're dressed as a butler. Oh you already did that? Uh... congratulations!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

1. one moderately easy kill
2. one easy kill on the route to kill #1
3. a third target to be killed in a specific way you spend 30 minutes luring towards the intended location.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

1: kill this guy
2: kill this guy with this item
3: kill this guy with this other item while disguised as this other guy
4: gently caress this just snipe him and go home

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

1. Find all of Janus' clues.
2. Do the same but every person except for the key ones is a full-range enforcer.
3. The same but there are 47 balloons you also need to find and shoot. Each balloon makes a very loud noise on popping. Several are only reachable when you are really close to them, say, right under the top of the BBQ tent.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I've thought about this in the past, and while I don't have a firm ruleset in mind, I'd try to approach the Escalation concept slightly differently:

1) There would be a fair number of targets/objectives from the very first level. No starting small, but the reason for this is...

2) ...The number and complexity of targets does not change with each level. Instead, the rules completely change with each level such that you are always killing the same targets, but approaching the level in an entirely different manner. Tons of weird complications that shift gears wildly from step to step. You don't refine your strategy with each level, but instead must completely throw it out and come up with something new, even though the targets have not changed in any way. One level might be Rowdy Guns + Rapid Elimination Streak + No Moving Bodies or something, while another would be more about accidents and spotting restrictions. Interesting designs but with a lot of freedom. BUT THEN...

3) ...The final level would be absolute hell. All the worst, most sadistic complications together. More guards. More enforcers. All targets have bodyguards. All Trespassing areas are instead Hostile. More cameras ("reinforced" to be destroyable only by explosions), and the only evidence recorder still on the map is whichever is most inconvenient to get to (and it's being guarded by a few of the extra guards). Of course there are laser tripwires and a minefield that covers most of the level, and the disarm device is on one of the targets, whichever is the hardest to isolate and therefore the most difficult to retrieve it from. Forced start and exit locations that require you to traverse pretty much the entire map. The only upside? No target restrictions, unlike the previous two levels; you can kill them any way you want, which means setting off a propane accident kill or whatever is perfectly valid as long as you can engineer it.

It would be a glorious clusterfuck, everyone would curse my name, and GuLe would still find a way to do it in under a minute.

EDIT: By the by, if you're curious about that accident KO bug that makes all subsequent kills unnoticed, it does work with the rake.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 15, 2019

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

EDIT: By the by, if you're curious about that accident KO bug that makes all subsequent kills unnoticed, it does work with the rake.

oh wow that counts as an accident? i would have thought they'd overlook it but that definitely opens up some possibilities

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chief Savage Man posted:

How did I never know you could get into the basement through the fountain?

What the gently caress

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What the gently caress

Free coins, too!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, I got the bug where killing the surveillance footage didn't give me my SA rating back and then the one guy died before I could restart. Super lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hokkaido

Level 1 : kill the director with an explosion

Level 2 : kill the director with an explosion
Complications:
- cannot bring explosives with you at the start

Level 3 : kill the director with an explosion