Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mandatory lesbian posted:

Out: your favorite Pokemon
In: my favorite Pokemon

So all the Pokemon are in the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
We'll eventually see the missing pokemon whenever they do Pokemon Gun/Spear/Whatever or when they make a port of Gen 4. If anything, this engine will probably be used in Gen 9 hell maybe Gen 10 and even when they make the next Gen console with some tweaks. They are doing the hardest part first, then working on the remainder.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 14, 2019

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BlazetheInferno posted:

Hell, they had to write in Tobias to knock him out of the Sinnoh tournament because they'd written themselves into a corner by having no one left set up that could believably beat Ash, since they had him beating the nerd and Paul.

The fight with Conway was a great fight. Loved seeing Trick Room work in the anime.

lol

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 14, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Waffleopolis posted:

We'll eventually see the missing pokemon whenever they do Pokemon Gun/Spear/Whatever or when they make a port of Gen 4. If anything, this engine will probably be used in Gen 9 hell maybe Gen 10 and even when they make the next Gen console with some tweaks. They are doing the hardest part first, then working on the remainder.

then why not say this

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

indigi posted:

then why not say this

Future hype for the next game. They'll use that to push additional sales for the third game or the gen 4 remake. It'll work and they know it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The pokedex always expands with the 3rd version but I don't think this necessarily means by then Galar will have the full dex or that there's this intent to incrementally add all the other pokemon that were left out.

Who knows what their goals will be in the future but when a Gamefreak spokesperson says that they don't plan on having every pokemon useable in Sword and Shield I think it's kind of a reach to assume that means "Well that means they're all coming back next game!"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s called bargaining

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They don't do third versions anymore, get ready for Pokemon Moonlight Greatsword and Pokemon Havel's Shield.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A friend said that SuMo had some really weird inefficiencies; like separate models for every totem pokemon.

Could you imagine if Dexit is because they need to make separate models/space for every dynamax pokemon?

e:
Gamefreak: We're reducing the total pokemon available so we can give those pokemone more time to shine.
Also Gamefreak: We've done away with mega evolution and z-moves, and replaced them with a feature where the pokemon just gets big.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Out:
Sunkern/Sunflora
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Stantler
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly lmao might as well pretend they don't exist at all
Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant
Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle
Ducklett/Swanna
Karrablast/Escavalier
Klink/Klang/Klinklang
Shelmet/Accelgor
Druddigon
Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillon
Litleo/Pyroar
Furfrou
Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist (for obvious reasons)

I think these ones will all be in the games because I think they fit the region thematically. Lions, bear, deer, swan... I think it makes sense for Poke Britain to have those types of creatures.

What “obvious reasons” do you think mean Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist won’t be included? Do you think they’ll make a turnip jack-o-lantern Pokemon instead?

quote:

Bronzor/Bronzong
Rufflet/Braviary

These Pokémon have already been confirmed. They were shown in the trailer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Oxyclean posted:

A friend said that SuMo had some really weird inefficiencies; like separate models for every totem pokemon.

Could you imagine if Dexit is because they need to make separate models/space for every dynamax pokemon?

e:
Gamefreak: We're reducing the total pokemon available so we can give those pokemone more time to shine.
Also Gamefreak: We've done away with mega evolution and z-moves, and replaced them with a feature where the pokemon just gets big.

Yeah, I've heard that too. Not sure how accurate the thing citing it is, but it also mentions that every time a pokemon appears in battle, it's checked 100ish times to make sure it's legit. And every time you see a story character, it's a 'different' model loaded into the location (aka you see Lillie inside Kukui's house, that's 1 lillie, but a different lillie model is loaded outside the house)

I 10000% believe every dynamax pokemon is a different model and that a tool could have been made to avoid that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The story with gold/silver is that they couldn't fit the game onto the cartridge until one guy thought to optimize it to the point they had space left for kanto. So yea gamefreak being really inefficient about things is very believable.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Basically the only reason i got into pokemon breeding was the newly-created pokebank assuring i'd have a way to keep the stable i had going forward. It'd be a bummer if some of my old faves couldn't make the jump

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think one of the things that leaves me feeling sour is: How long did they know/feel this?

Like I can't help but be grumpy over how they've gave us gen after gen of "obligatory mono normal animal you will see on every route" and "its a mono water fish, again!" and other pokemon that kind felt like the existed almost purely to pad out the regions/dexs.

Like goldeen being in feels like a perfect example of how much of a bummer this could be. No-one talks about goldeen. No-one likes goldeen, if they do, they're a liar, or they had it in their party when they were 8 and feel nostalgic for it but will probably never use it again. Looking at the confirmed dex so far, we have stuff like Hoot Hoot, Ruffet, and Roggenrola, I can't imagine they'll be leaving out Pidgey, Spearow and Geodude.

I hope the bulk of the galar dex omissions is just old legendaries and mythicals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Avalerion posted:

The story with gold/silver is that they couldn't fit the game onto the cartridge until one guy thought to optimize it to the point they had space left for kanto. So yea gamefreak being really inefficient about things is very believable.

Specifically, Satoru Iwata, future president of Nintendo and at the time president of HAL Labs; he was basically a programming genius, and was brought in to optimise things when GameFreak was panicking about not being able to fit the game on a GB cart. His fix was apparently developing tools to compress the graphics efficiently.

Earlier he was also the one who had to reverse engineer the pokemon battle system so it could be recreated for Pokemon Stadium, because it was of course entirely undocumented.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Oxyclean posted:

I think one of the things that leaves me feeling sour is: How long did they know/feel this?

Like I can't help but be grumpy over how they've gave us gen after gen of "obligatory mono normal animal you will see on every route" and "its a mono water fish, again!" and other pokemon that kind felt like the existed almost purely to pad out the regions/dexs.

Like goldeen being in feels like a perfect example of how much of a bummer this could be. No-one talks about goldeen. No-one likes goldeen, if they do, they're a liar, or they had it in their party when they were 8 and feel nostalgic for it but will probably never use it again. Looking at the confirmed dex so far, we have stuff like Hoot Hoot, Ruffet, and Roggenrola, I can't imagine they'll be leaving out Pidgey, Spearow and Geodude.

I hope the bulk of the galar dex omissions is just old legendaries and mythicals.

Not quite what you're asking, and more like speculation, but the leak that ended up true probably came to be because of the decision to exclude pokemon, since they mention doing it in the spur of the moment due to being upset and disappointed. This was in May 23rd. So, yeah, could be that this choice is barely a month old.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MikeJF posted:

Specifically, Satoru Iwata, future president of Nintendo and at the time president of HAL Labs; he was basically a programming genius, and was brought in to optimise things when GameFreak was panicking about not being able to fit the game on a GB cart. His fix was apparently developing tools to compress the graphics efficiently.

Earlier he was also the one who had to reverse engineer the pokemon battle system so it could be recreated for Pokemon Stadium, because it was of course entirely undocumented.

That’s basically the most perfect story. Dude was brought in so they could actually squeeze in gold/silver into its cart and made such a fantastic job they were able to fit in a downscaled rby in it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reading about how badly Pokemon is coded is amazing.

EDIT some more

quote:

They had a list for 190 Pokémon but only filled 151, Surf calls to the code of a removed object and the game contains unused dialogs for losing against the rival (that they even translated), a debug battle mode, a flag in Red and Blue to check if the game was running on a GBC (unused, they probably planned to add the color support that Yellow had)...

As for Mew, the code checks for it each time the image of a Pokémon is loaded since in that case has to load its data outside of the table where all the other Pokémon data is. That means every single time a Pokémon pic is displayed.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 14, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Leaving out Pidgey and Geodude would be sensible, honestly; Hoothoot and Roggenrola are more interesting (at least visually). And Goldeen at least fills a niche as a fish that isn't ugly like Basculin or weak like Magikarp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EDIT some more

God I really hope for both their and our sakes that SnS is just entirely new. gently caress it, throw it out, redo it from scratch.

Well, I suppose it's probably based on Let's Go. Maybe. I would hope that was brand new, given it lacked most of the old systems and stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 14, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

:havlat: Who is ready for good news? :havlat:

If you participated in the May Online competition, your shiny Tapu Fini is available as your participation trophy!

Presumably just in time to be kept in gen 7 for all of perpetuity

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 14, 2019

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Presumably just in time to be kept in gen 7 for all of perpetuity

What a travesty.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Really hope Finneon and Lumineon made it to Galar

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Abundant Atrophy posted:

and get a new third stage evo, Neonuclear

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

lumineon is perfect just the way he is

a worthless towel

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish this was at least coming as a result of them reworking some of the nitty-gritty stuff that would create hurdles for importing pokemon; stuff like IVs and EVs.

IVs are dumb as poo poo and should be removed entirely and that's a hill I'd die on. Find a more sane way to have hidden power change type.

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I really don't.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I really wish this was at least coming as a result of them reworking some of the nitty-gritty stuff that would create hurdles for importing pokemon; stuff like IVs and EVs.

IVs are dumb as poo poo and should be removed entirely and that's a hill I'd die on. Find a more sane way to have hidden power change type.

I really don't.

I agree about IVs. Now that Hyper Training exists, their only purposes are making Pokemon randomly slightly stronger or weaker in a normal playthrough (but not enough for most players to actually notice) and determining Hidden Power's type. You could just abolish them and make Hidden Power based on the Personality Value.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Avalerion posted:

It's nonsense. "Iwata's" compression scheme (actually just one developed by HAL Laboratories - the people working on disassembling Kirby's Dream Land found it uses a close variant) is faster but less efficient than the compression used in Gen 1 (and the Space World demo). His main contribution was allocating more resources to Game Freak when they were clearly struggling.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I feel like they should keep the EV spread but just get rid of IVs altogether. I'unno how much of a draw that is for the people really into breeding tho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Crosscontaminant posted:

It's nonsense. "Iwata's" compression scheme (actually just one developed by HAL Laboratories - the people working on disassembling Kirby's Dream Land found it uses a close variant) is faster but less efficient than the compression used in Gen 1 (and the Space World demo). His main contribution was allocating more resources to Game Freak when they were clearly struggling.

what's with the scare quotes around his name

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EDIT some more

Is Lillie a Dark Draker?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

indigi posted:

what's with the scare quotes around his name

Iwata is an urban legend, like Slenderman or the hook story.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The missing Pokémon will be added in through dlc eventually. They have that capability in the switch now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Unused Sun/Moon postgame dlc would’ve included a horror mini game where thousands of Lillie’s march through the streets

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

The missing Pokémon will be added in through dlc eventually. They have that capability in the switch now.

If they had any intent of doing this they could easily say so and avoid the flak they’re now justifiably getting for it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The missing Pokémon will be added in through dlc eventually. They have that capability in the 3DS now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Yeah, I feel like they should keep the EV spread but just get rid of IVs altogether. I'unno how much of a draw that is for the people really into breeding tho.

I don't think it really adds anything to breeding that egg moves, nature, ability, etc. are already adding. On some level you just get a 5/6 IV ditto and solve part of the equation, otherwise it's just tedium. And if they want to take out the tedium of walking to the pokemon center from the gym, perhaps they should take out some of the tedium of breeding competitive mons?

Plus, while I get the idea of IVs are supposed to be like "no two pokemon are the same," everything else kinda accomplishes that too. Also, not entirely seriously, but i've always been bothered by IVs kinda running against the themes of the games of "there is no weak pokemon" and the such. I mean, of course there's "weak" pokemon mechanically, but to have a system that so directly makes a pokemon worse then another of its' species seems...wrong?

I think EVs are a bit silly too because at the end of the day they don't really add much for casual players (who will probably not plan them out and not see much impact) and just add busywork for people making competitive pokemon. That said, there is something to the idea of "use pokemon = it gets stronger" (beyond basic XP) and "what it fights determines where it grows." that feels a lot better then the nature of IVs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this is quite accurate to my current feelings about pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I've been giving a lot of thought to the Dexit thing and I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with it. Try to imagine that 20 years from now if Pokemon is still a thing we'll probably have like 1500-2000 Pokemon. I think to maintain a normal game development cycle it was inevitable that Pokemon would have to be cut from individual games for performance, quality, and balance reasons. They probably chose to do this now to set a precedent for the future and to avoid a greater shock later on. It also makes sense that at least some of the missing Pokemon would be included in the 3rd iteration of each Gen and in the remakes as an additional selling point for those games. It also plays into their business model of getting people to buy every new version of every new game that comes out including the remakes; and it rewards the die-hard fans who do this already. It'll probably get to a point where each new game is like a new set of Pokemon cards that includes a small subset of all Pokemon. It may even be fun to see old Pokemon making a comeback in a new game that haven't been shown in a long time. They're also opening up the possibility for another "EVERYBODY IS HERE" reveal for Generation X or something which would be incredibly hype and probably sell a billion copies.

Or maybe I'm just doing a lot of mental gymnastics to try to justify what is really just laziness and incompetence from Game Freak.