Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Maybe if we stopped seeing cops brutalizing people every day, if not multiple times a day, folks would stop assuming cops are in the wrong?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

/This guy is mostly a conservative tool but he does good breakdowns of viral videos like this (and he has some hilarious vids on Sovereign Citizens). His breakdown on this video gives some much needed additional context. https://youtu.be/IH-omnFcA8k

Turns out, maybe you should educate yourself before condemning police actions based on short videos where you have next to no context, and where you have no knowledge of police procedures. Turns out, every situation is different, and it's always a good idea to wait for additional context before you protest a dude's arrest or death, when you have no clue what happened, an investigation hasn't even started yet, and there's no bodycam footage yet.

Donut Operator is notorious as a source for Alt-Right groups as proof that there is no anti-black bias in police shootings. Hell, you already highlighted he's a conservative tool, so if he is why would you depend upon his analysis to make a critical decision? This is about as bad as "Guys, I'm not racist, but...."

Do you REALLY want to go there? Find a better source, and check yourself. We've already discussed this, and we're done talking about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If the guy in the video was being arrested for a robbery that's a reason to, y'know, actually arrest him so he can be tried by a jury.

The legal punishment for committing robbery is not public execution without trial.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hey guess what, turns out this guy 1) matched the description of a robbery suspect that was pointed out by the people he robbed to a passing by officer, who was the first female officer that we see, 2) a 911 call was put out simultaneously that a robbery had occurred and the suspect described matched this guy, and the 911 caller stated that weapons were possibly involved 3) it turns out that this guy did, in fact, commit that robbery!

https://hawthornepolice.com/press-releases-1/arrest-06-07-19

Also turns out that the dumb idiot filming (who made the situation worse, and could have gotten herself killed in the cross fire if the guy pulled a weapon, and made it so that the guy couldn't hear the officer's commands, making the situation way worse) talking about her boyfriend that was killed, well... he was apparently killed trying to pull the gun out of an officers holster. Not exactly an innocent guy.

This guy is mostly a conservative tool but he does good breakdowns of viral videos like this (and he has some hilarious vids on Sovereign Citizens). His breakdown on this video gives some much needed additional context. https://youtu.be/IH-omnFcA8k

Turns out, maybe you should educate yourself before condemning police actions based on short videos where you have next to no context, and where you have no knowledge of police procedures. Turns out, every situation is different, and it's always a good idea to wait for additional context before you protest a dude's arrest or death, when you have no clue what happened, an investigation hasn't even started yet, and there's no bodycam footage yet.

:chloe:

Mind blowing idea here, but it's perhaps possible that the cops over used force in this case while also having a valid reason to approach the guy with caution.

Just like what happened with Mike Brown, even if the use of force was legally justified, there were still systemic issues surrounding that case and agency that immediately caused people to question if the use of force was valid or not. That's a problem, and you can't hand wave it away with "Well, he matched a description for a suspect. Nothing wrong here!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If the guy in the video was being arrested for a robbery that's a reason to, y'know, actually arrest him so he can be tried by a jury.

The legal punishment for committing robbery is not public execution without trial.

Said it better than I could.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It was a chaotic situation. The woman who kept filming and kept screaming did not make the situation better, she made the situation objectively worse. If she wanted to film the situation, that's definitely her right, but she put herself, the suspect, and the officers in danger interfering in the situation. She kept amping the guy up, kept him from listening to the officers' commands, and at at least two points he got so emotional talking to her he removed his hands from his head.

It takes time to safely get enough people to take custody of the guy. The people with the "big guns" have beanbag rounds in them. I'm not sure if anyone had tazers on them, but when approaching even a seemingly surrendering suspect, it's good to have two less lethal options, and at least one guy with a service pistol or long gun on the guy. Plus two to take the guy down and cuff him.

The most probable reason I can guess for why it took so long for them to take him down is 1) that bitch kept on taking the suspect's attention away from the officers, 2) the officers on scene most likely wanted to wait for a supervisor to organize the takedown/apprehension, OR at least wait until there were more than enough people to do it safely. Sure, one officer with a gun could've covered him while two went into cuff him, but why take the chance when 4 more officers are on the way? The guy could've started to resist and there could've been a fight or a struggle, and then if the guy got killed, everyone would be saying "WHY DIDNT THE OFFICERS TAKE THEIR TIME WHY'D THEY RUSH IN" or some such bullshit.

Having overwhelming force is a best practice now. A person is less likely to fight two officers than just one, three than just two, etc. The same is with overwhelming lethal force. Four guys drawing down with pistols and another with a beanbag shotgun is, all other things being equal, going to make the bas guy think twice about pulling his weapon out.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We must be watching a different video, because in the one I'm watching, no one was killed.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

It was a chaotic situation. The woman who kept filming and kept screaming did not make the situation better, she made the situation objectively worse. If she wanted to film the situation, that's definitely her right, but she put herself, the suspect, and the officers in danger interfering in the situation. She kept amping the guy up, kept him from listening to the officers' commands, and at at least two points he got so emotional talking to her he removed his hands from his head.

It takes time to safely get enough people to take custody of the guy. The people with the "big guns" have beanbag rounds in them. I'm not sure if anyone had tazers on them, but when approaching even a seemingly surrendering suspect, it's good to have two less lethal options, and at least one guy with a service pistol or long gun on the guy. Plus two to take the guy down and cuff him.

The most probable reason I can guess for why it took so long for them to take him down is 1) that bitch kept on taking the suspect's attention away from the officers, 2) the officers on scene most likely wanted to wait for a supervisor to organize the takedown/apprehension, OR at least wait until there were more than enough people to do it safely. Sure, one officer with a gun could've covered him while two went into cuff him, but why take the chance when 4 more officers are on the way? The guy could've started to resist and there could've been a fight or a struggle, and then if the guy got killed, everyone would be saying "WHY DIDNT THE OFFICERS TAKE THEIR TIME WHY'D THEY RUSH IN" or some such bullshit.

Having overwhelming force is a best practice now. A person is less likely to fight two officers than just one, three than just two, etc. The same is with overwhelming lethal force. Four guys drawing down with pistols and another with a beanbag shotgun is, all other things being equal, going to make the bas guy think twice about pulling his weapon out.

You’re an unreachable idiot and part of the problem.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

We must be watching a different video, because in the one I'm watching, no one was killed.

I didn't claim anyone was.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Donut Operator is notorious as a source for Alt-Right groups as proof that there is no anti-black bias in police shootings. Hell, you already highlighted he's a conservative tool, so if he is why would you depend upon his analysis to make a critical decision? This is about as bad as "Guys, I'm not racist, but...."

Do you REALLY want to go there? Find a better source, and check yourself. We've already discussed this, and we're done talking about it.

I did find a source - the PD's press release. Good on you for cropping that out of the quote.

And while he's a conservative tool, his breakdown videos are spot on. Anti black bias is absolutely a problem in policing. It doesn't automatically mean that every police shooting is because of anti black bias. Those two things arent mutually exclusive.

It's cool that you're done talking about it, and never following up on it after you're done with the 2 minute hate on cops. Guess it's easier to just think ACAB and all nearly police actions are unjustified, rather than take each situation, arrest, or shooting individually. Guess it's easier for you to never have to confront yourself with information that'll contradict your preconceived notions.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

E actually I do care. Just go away. You’re wrong and no one will convince you otherwise.

Just go away dude.

colachute fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 14, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

colachute posted:

Why? I explained two reasons why they took so long to arrest the guy. People asked that question. I answered it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Why? I explained two reasons why they took so long to arrest the guy. People asked that question. I answered it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I did find a source - the PD's press release. Good on you for cropping that out of the quote.

And while he's a conservative tool, his breakdown videos are spot on. Anti black bias is absolutely a problem in policing. It doesn't automatically mean that every police shooting is because of anti black bias. Those two things arent mutually exclusive.

It's cool that you're done talking about it, and never following up on it after you're done with the 2 minute hate on cops. Guess it's easier to just think ACAB and all nearly police actions are unjustified, rather than take each situation, arrest, or shooting individually. Guess it's easier for you to never have to confront yourself with information that'll contradict your preconceived notions.

We're done talking about it because it won't go anywhere, and got the thread locked.

Just stop dude. There was no excuse for that many guns drawn on ONE submissive suspect, and your not proving your point. And stop citing a conservative nutcase as a 'valid breakdown of police tactics' Could it be his bias slips into his analysis of a situation, and could it be your are just buying into it because its an argument from authority?

EDIT: I'm not going to respond from this point, I'm not getting the thread locked over this again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 14, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
At least two of those guns were less lethal shotguns.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Jesus Christ, you guys took a day off from copchat only to resume talking about the exact same goddamned incident.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just admit you have a hard-on for extrajudicial murder

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pull up thread pull up!!!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You are talking to a board full of people who quite possibly did this sort of thing with potential Suicide Bombers in some of the most dangerous places in the world, and telling them that police over reactions is ok?
Eat a poop, my dude.
I've been involved with dudes who literally fit the description of decapitation one and de-legging the guy next to him with an RPG. I went hands on.
I've had dudes literally try to pull cocked and locked tokarevs on my during a casual shakedown. That dude is still alive because I'm not a bloodthirsty piece of poo poo.

If you are afraid to hold up your end of the social contract, dont take the job.
If you can't get past that your family raised you to be a racist piece of poo poo, don't take the job.
If you can't be an adult and try to descalate, don't take the job.
If you can't remember your training and need a refresher every morning of, "Hey, anyone who fails the TSA paper bag test IS NOT an enemy", don't take the job. See also- One loving voice. I'd be more people get killed because every officer wants to be Frank loving Castle and is yelling contradictory commands.
If you think your job is judge and jury, don't take the loving job.

Quit making excuses for bad policing. That's what got us here. "A few bad apples spoil the bunch."

As for Donut- he's an idiot playing to an audience. Some of his breakdowns are good, nuanced explanations for people who don't understand. Too many more are justifications for questionable shoots that he makes seem like absolute good shoots.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm liberal as gently caress, and I'm in law enforcement. I try to bridge the gap between law enforcement and liberals / activists by explaining stuff when people are outraged at viral videos, or police shootings, or specific incidents. I try to educate, so that people understand why things are done a certain way. I do this because I believe a lot of people's outrage is based on ignorance of police training, procedures, tactics, or real world scenarios that have happened where police officers have died. I do this so that people can be more informed.

There absolutely are incidents and shootings that are completely unjustified, and do nothing but further everyone's hatred of police. There absolutely are racist officers out there, and there absolutely are officers that get off on having a badge and a gun. But those are not the majority of officers. And not every incident that's filmed out of context by a passerby is need for outrage and police hate and doxxing and death threats to the officers involved.

Edit: McNally, I'll stop.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I'm liberal as gently caress, and I'm in law enforcement. I try to bridge the gap between law enforcement and liberals / activists by explaining stuff when people are outraged at viral videos, or police shootings, or specific incidents. I try to educate, so that people understand why things are done a certain way. I do this because I believe a lot of people's outrage is based on ignorance of police training, procedures, tactics, or real world scenarios that have happened where police officers have died. I do this so that people can be more informed.

There absolutely are incidents and shootings that are completely unjustified, and do nothing but further everyone's hatred of police. There absolutely are racist officers out there, and there absolutely are officers that get off on having a badge and a gun. But those are not the majority of officers. And not every incident that's filmed out of context by a passerby is need for outrage and police hate and doxxing and death threats to the officers involved.

Until you actively start flushing out the poo poo, you are just poo poo. Yes, YOU.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yeah? Well here go some chili pics!

Munich and specifically the western side of it got ravaged by a brief and particularly brutal hailstorm the other day, and I managed to get back home in time to save my plants from complete destruction. They took a whole lot of damage, but four days later, they've mostly recovered.

Here are my two Reapers and a Chocolate Habanero. I was getting ready to trim the top because they were getting a bit tall and branching out too much in the crown, but they took the brunt of the storm on account of sitting on the railing, and the storm took off almost the entirety off the leaves along the main stem, so I guess I'll have to let them grow a little more.

The White Fantasy survived mostly intact due to sitting in the lee-side during the storm. Sorry for the super-bright image, I still need to learn the camera on this new phone.

My Purple Cayenne lost a bunch of leaves on the bottom, but since it has three main branches above it, they mostly survived.

This is my main Lemon Drop, already post-trim. It's bushy as gently caress now that I've trimmed back some of the shredded branches/leaves, and still doing well.

My Cocktail Tomato didn't give the remotest of fucks it seems. It pretty much went "lol how are storms even real, like, just walk away from the wind and keep growing taller"

My baby Red Habanero was too short to get affected by the storm on account of being surrounded by its taller wind-break sisters. :shobon:

My Hungarian Chilis that I cultivated from a work colleague's chili were chilling (heh) inside and were fine, but of the 23 seeds that took root, only 13 plants actually managed to brave the first transplantation into a new pot. I'm trying to figure out what I hosed up, because the first batch of 11 is the one that is struggling/dying almost entirely, while the second batch, without a single exception, is thriving.

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/3t2npON.mp4

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
No weed?? MODS! MODS!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'll contribute to chill green chat:

Moved my Venus Fly Traps and Nepenthes plants outside to enjoy the warmer humid weather.

The Nepenthes (Pitcher Plants) really enjoy it.

Earlier photo of my flytraps.

This is my oldest Nepenthes, he's having a hard time recovering from winterization.
However, he has grown a new plant at his base:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 14, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I'm not saying the F-35 program is a well-oiled machine. I never loving said that, and I probably agree with you on most programmatic points. But at the end of the day the thing has to do its job, and it does it well. Your argument is a condemnation of the MIC, not the aircraft itself. Acquisitions is politics, and therefore is permafucked.

Most of those planes you mentioned aren't "new" and definitely don't cost as much as the F-35. Yes, my problem is the MICC. The F-35 is one of the most visible manifestations of MICC greed and corruption.

Burn it all loving down. Stop accepting the status quo when it comes to military acquisitions because this poo poo only gets worse.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

I'll contribute to chill green chat:

Moved my Venus Fly Traps and Nepenthes plants outside to enjoy the warmer humid weather.

The Nepenthes (Pitcher Plants) really enjoy it.

Earlier photo of my flytraps.

This is my oldest Nepenthes, he's having a hard time recovering from winterization.
However, he has grown a new plant at his base:

Same, I live near a nice little city trail and take walks a lot more often nowadays:

This is from a couple months ago before the trees all started filling out

This is a bunny who was willing to chill for a few seconds instead of sprinting away at the sound of footsteps

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah? Well here go some chili pics!

Munich and specifically the western side of it got ravaged by a brief and particularly brutal hailstorm the other day, and I managed to get back home in time to save my plants from complete destruction. They took a whole lot of damage, but four days later, they've mostly recovered.

Here are my two Reapers and a Chocolate Habanero. I was getting ready to trim the top because they were getting a bit tall and branching out too much in the crown, but they took the brunt of the storm on account of sitting on the railing, and the storm took off almost the entirety off the leaves along the main stem, so I guess I'll have to let them grow a little more.

The White Fantasy survived mostly intact due to sitting in the lee-side during the storm. Sorry for the super-bright image, I still need to learn the camera on this new phone.

My Purple Cayenne lost a bunch of leaves on the bottom, but since it has three main branches above it, they mostly survived.

This is my main Lemon Drop, already post-trim. It's bushy as gently caress now that I've trimmed back some of the shredded branches/leaves, and still doing well.

My Cocktail Tomato didn't give the remotest of fucks it seems. It pretty much went "lol how are storms even real, like, just walk away from the wind and keep growing taller"

My baby Red Habanero was too short to get affected by the storm on account of being surrounded by its taller wind-break sisters. :shobon:

My Hungarian Chilis that I cultivated from a work colleague's chili were chilling (heh) inside and were fine, but of the 23 seeds that took root, only 13 plants actually managed to brave the first transplantation into a new pot. I'm trying to figure out what I hosed up, because the first batch of 11 is the one that is struggling/dying almost entirely, while the second batch, without a single exception, is thriving.

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/3t2npON.mp4
ZEESE ARE MEIN PLANTS. AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AVARE AS A GERMAN I AM INCAPABLE OF LOVING OZER PEOPLE.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

At least two of those guns were less lethal shotguns.

There weren't any guns involved in this situation until the police introduced them. Stop justifying needless escalation.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Please continue chili/garden chat, I miss my big garden at the house I used to rent so much :(

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

my kinda ape posted:

Please continue chili/garden chat, I miss my big garden at the house I used to rent so much :(

I miss opening the back door and letting Monty sunbathe on the deck while I putz around the house.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There weren't any guns involved in this situation until the police introduced them. Stop justifying needless escalation.

Okay, we want to keep going. That's fine.

Beginning today at 11:35 AM eastern, copchat is only allowable in this thread provided you use correct spelling and grammar.

You cannot use the letter E. The more frustrated I get, the more letters I restrict.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Why not just probate people instead of playing gently caress-gently caress games in the CE thread?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think posts about minions of law post mod-warning allow a mod/Idiot King to punish with additional gravity without incurring whining posts in QQCS.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

colachute posted:

Why not just probate people instead of playing gently caress-gently caress games in the CE thread?

Because usually the thread can self-regulate quickly enough to change the topic away from pointless slapfights over the tone of copchat.

we planted a bunch of peppers and tomatoes on this lovely day and then at 4:30 the next morning a hailstorm rolled through and beat the everloving poo poo out of them :smith:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

all hail your new mod, McNally

as a consolation prize i probated every cop chatter in the past two pages because i hate you

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nah, you're slamming into this thread with "he was no angel" bullshit while simultaneously calling the woman filming "a bitch" and using some right-wing fuckwad for your "evidence" so I'm gonna go ahead and say you should do us all a favor and suck start your duty weapon.

You're poo poo, just as all cops are poo poo, because you've come running to the defense of poo poo cops.

Lol at the idea you're "liberal as gently caress" that's just loving hilarious

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

also from now until i lose my buttons im banning for cop chat after this post

enjoy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How are everyone's cats, dogs, rats, snakes, and other pets not enumerated here doing?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lando’s definitely being very Lando today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

These lazy assholes need to get jobs and start pulling their weight around the house: