Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*thinking harder than i ever have before* just let people who need to ride for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Replace the gates with a Death Star style trash compactor.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao if you think that just anybody should be allowed to use public infrastructure

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Tollymain posted:

lmao if you think that just anybody should be allowed to use public infrastructure

yeah rich people shouldnt be allowed to use public infrastructure because they should be dead

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Internet tells me there's ~50 Bart stations

15 million -> 300,000 per station

Paying a guy with a camera phone to take pictures of jumpers and call security at the next station -> probably less maybe?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
even less cost: just let poor people ride for free and by free i mean suffering the indignity of jumping the fare and being judged by other passengers for it because they don't materially increase or decrease the cost of the ride, and if you need more money for operations then tax the rich

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
galaxy brain: free public transit for everyone, save a fortune by not requiring any fare gates or fare checkers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smarxist posted:

*thinking harder than i ever have before* just let people who need to ride for free

fuckin this

decades ago i was on the train here in denmark, and this homeless guy was passed out over a double seat. so the ticket inspectors come on and theyre like "you have a ticket?" and the guy clearly doesnt have one, so theyre like well you gotta get off, but he has to get "home" to his stuff on some friends couch or something. im a teenage nerd so i dont say anything, but this shirt & tie dude is like "cmon you cant throw him off" and theyre like "actually we can"

long story short, shirt & tie dude refuses to show his valid ticket and they stop the train with closed doors at the next station so the police come and pick him and the homeless guy up. i was pretty impressed, a formative experience tbh

some of the homeless people here have like grands of fines on their head for riding without tickets, its insane. how the gently caress are they gonna get a footing with that poo poo

vyelkin posted:

galaxy brain: free public transit for everyone, save a fortune by not requiring any fare gates or fare checkers

seriously theres so much make-work involved its gotta be at least half the ticket purchase income

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Jun 14, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ReelBigLizard posted:

Just fuckin :lol: at the BART. We visited SF at New year's and after taking the bart once we took literally any other mode of transport for the rest of the time.

Imagine if you spent a fraction of that just hiring some humans to watch the loving gates.

how long would $100 mil last if it just paid for everyones fares for a while

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

got any sevens posted:

how long would $100 mil last if it just paid for everyones fares for a while

about 2.5 months

But remember, bart doesn't actually have that $100m to spend anyway....

(give bart more money)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

lol, they should jsut do what nyc does and not have functional elevators

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so you're just going to let the public use the infrastructure huh

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I found a better design that doesn't discriminate:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

so you're just going to let the public use the infrastructure huh

Lmao good luck

Who's gonna pay for this????????

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
It's really funny because when I visited SF in May loving nobody pays fares on the buses or trams. Allegedly there's an undercover transit cop who might nail you for not paying but no one seems to give a poo poo.

also this lady should be the mascot for cspam

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rated PG-34 posted:

lol, they should jsut do what nyc does and not have functional elevators

Way ahead of you. Non-functional escalators too.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

It's really funny because when I visited SF in May loving nobody pays fares on the buses or trams. Allegedly there's an undercover transit cop who might nail you for not paying but no one seems to give a poo poo.

crack, ping

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splicer posted:

Internet tells me there's ~50 Bart stations

drat it, where the hell is the :smallbart: smiley, I can't find it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peanut President posted:

hmmm.....maybe put a heavy metal bar in between the pincers and trip the machine, so it destroys itself internally trying to deploy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subway systems gotta monetize their use to pay their costs, so they have tickets. Except they often don't pay their costs and have to rely on government funding. Except if you look at city government policies towards the homeless, it's fairly common to just randomly punish them for their misfortune rather than set up anything to make their lives easier.

Where all the financial justification really falls apart are the studies that demonstrate how just providing for the homeless is cheaper.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
charging fares to recapture operating costs is a policy that runs directly counter to the mission statement of public transit: to get as many people using it as possible

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The point, as ever, is the suffering.

Plenty of people out there who'll absolutely lose their minds at the idea that someone might get a free ride on the metro or bus or whatever. They'll happily put up with a less convenient and efficient system so long as no one else has it easier than them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bloom posted:

The point, as ever, is the suffering.

Plenty of people out there who'll absolutely lose their minds at the idea that someone might get a free ride on the metro or bus or whatever. They'll happily put up with a less convenient and efficient system so long as no one else has it easier than them.

Also that person freeloader is making taxes go up!!! :argh:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

e: thought the dumb Joker meme was a seperate picture but eh

aphid_licker has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Jun 14, 2019

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

this poo poo has injured non-disabled people, I.e. me. If you don’t time it exactly right it attacks you and I honestly get PTSD around them

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mike12345 has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jun 14, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I make this for my kids sometimes. they call it hotdogtopus.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
doesn't it just make the pasta within the hotdogs all hard

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

who cares; hotdogtopus

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't it just make the pasta within the hotdogs all hard

nah it's cooked all the way. kids loving love that poo poo

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/lifewinning/status/1139655784009220098

https://twitter.com/lifewinning/status/1139656339033141249

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can totally imagine someone ordering a prebuilt sensor chassis that happens to come with a camera whether they want it or not. I do not believe that this is what happened here.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder if this technology can be defeated by a skateboarder with a sticker and some IR sunglasses

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I make this for my kids sometimes. they call it hotdogtopus.

I used to to this too! I carved little faces into the dogs.

Why didn’t I make a GWS thread? oh well.

content:
oh Christ now ‘cheapfakes’ are A Thing3
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/what-are-deepfakes-how-to-tell-if-video-is-fake/

quote:

From deepfake to "cheap fake," it's getting harder than ever to tell what's true on your favorite apps and websites

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Remulak posted:

I used to to this too! I carved little faces into the dogs.

Why didn’t I make a GWS thread? oh well.

content:
oh Christ now ‘cheapfakes’ are A Thing3
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/what-are-deepfakes-how-to-tell-if-video-is-fake/

i feel like deepfakes are going to be used more to discredit real video than to create narratives out of whole cloth, but I'm sure they'll be used for that too once they get even better

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cyberpunk spaghetti.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

i feel like deepfakes are going to be used more to discredit real video than to create narratives out of whole cloth

Oh yeah, 100%

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

https://www.amazon.com/Pentart-33454-Glass-Etching-Multicolor/dp/B07CR4FQ3K

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

e: from a research paper about deep neural nets making mistakes

Homocow has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Jun 15, 2019