Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

You spelled 'minor' wrong.

This is not the Star Trek thread, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

aatrek for effort

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Phanatic posted:

I think you're confusing electrical with thermal output. A given unit at Chernobyl was rated for 3.2 GW of thermal power, which at ~30something% efficiency is about a GW electrical output. Compare to one of the TMI units, which is 2.6 GW(th) and 820 MW electrical.

The RBMKs were so physically large because they wanted to be able to use unenriched uranium; for a desired power level you need more natural uranium than you would LEU.

Ah yeah there's my confusion, I'm just used to electric output rating.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

annoying cunty british accent? check
incorrect info? check
lovely title? check

edit: voted the thread 3 to get it closer to 3.6

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 13, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Gordon posted:

incorrect info? check

What's incorrect in it?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Phanatic posted:

What's incorrect in it?

Doesn't he keep comparing a steam explosion to a nuclear explosion and uses those words interchangeably to fit the point he is making, or did I misunderstand?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Gordon posted:

incorrect info? check
lovely title? check

you’re stalling. come get me when you grandmas manage to get it down to 3.6

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rex-Goliath posted:

you’re stalling. come get me when you grandmas manage to get it down to 3.6

*votes 1, casts uneasy glance towards Akimov, who nods reassuringly but appears to be quite nervous himself*

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

What's incorrect in it?

It's a thunderfoot video so we'll start with: everything (no I'm not watching a 30minute thunderfoot video to find out where he blames feminist SJWs).

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

White Phosphorus posted:

The body would block the alpha and beta particles, you'd only need strong neutron and gamma sources in there to be an actual threat to other people.

And what's wrong with calling out Voices of Chernobyl for being full of poo poo? All kinds of nonsense has been produced in the name of demonizing nuclear power. Somebody should get that book to see if the 5 megaton nonsense originated there as well.

If that's the reason why didn't he just say that instead of saying that they weren't exposed internally? Makes him sound like he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Comrade Khormuk is awesome хорошо

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Flannelette posted:

It's a thunderfoot video so we'll start with: everything (no I'm not watching a 30minute thunderfoot video to find out where he blames feminist SJWs).

guess which character he is the most upset with!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Came for the dangerous radiation, stayed for the alt-right propaganda videos. Just fuckin' fry my brains out.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Came for the dangerous radiation, stayed for the alt-right propaganda videos. Just fuckin' fry my brains out.

Relax it's only 3.6 roentgen dude, not good but not a disaster

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Something Awful invented nuclear energy in a adrenaline -fueled posting session in the early to mid 00's, comrades

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Nerses IV posted:

*votes 1, casts uneasy glance towards Akimov, who nods reassuringly but appears to be quite nervous himself*

We voted correctly.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
https://www.slavorum.org/lights-turned-on-in-pripyat-31-years-after-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-thanks-to-polish-stalkers/

Some dudes go around plugging a generator into light fixtures in Pripyat and some of them actually come on. Pretty neat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Michaeldim posted:

https://www.slavorum.org/lights-turned-on-in-pripyat-31-years-after-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-thanks-to-polish-stalkers/

Some dudes go around plugging a generator into light fixtures in Pripyat and some of them actually come on. Pretty neat.

That’s a good way to start fires. Dumbasses.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Bronze Fonz posted:

We voted correctly.

The instruction is crossed out, but I'm carefully voting "2" to reduce this thread's power.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Op made a good thread it deserves a 5 not a gimmick vote

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Honky Dong Country posted:

Op made a good thread it deserves a 5 not a gimmick vote

*thread rating blasts past five and takes down the internet across the entire eastern seaboard*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's impossible for the forums to explode! They were designed not to!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The control rods were foreskin tipped. The resulting posts caused a 10 smegmaton explosion.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
*Operators stare in disbelief and horror as the Nixie tube display for the thread rating ticks up to 6*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kazak posted:

Haven't you seen Blade

that's just a movie

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Captain Gordon posted:

incorrect info? check
lovely title? check

Oof ya bass, that's weapons grade cunty accent.
I'm Scottish*, so most English accents sound a bit poo poo, but that's an actual punchable voice. That hosed could stand up and explain how he's cured cancer but I'd still want to kick him into a coma.
Tried to get as far as 3 minutes 6 seconds for a laugh, but only managed to get to 1 minute 14 seconds

*Not a tiny cocked miner sadly

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 14, 2019

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Necros posted:

if you start a circumcision derail in this thread i will have one of these soldiers throw you out of the helicopter

well we definitely know where shcherbina stood

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/GB5H7MS.jpg:nws:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Adolf Glitter posted:

Oof ya bass, that's weapons grade cunty accent.
I'm Scottish*, so most English accents sound a bit poo poo, but that's an actual punchable voice. That hosed could stand up and explain how he's cured cancer but I'd still want to kick him into a coma.
Tried to get as far as 3 minutes 6 seconds for a laugh, but only managed to get to 1 minute 14 seconds

*Not a tiny cocked miner sadly

He's terminally MGTOW trash if it makes it easier.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
His politics suck but he’s good at trolling Elon Musk and picking apart retarded (yet overfunded) kickstarters that break the laws of thermodynamics

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

It's impossible for the forums to explode! They were designed not to!

We posted to the specifications layer out by the OP.

The moderators regrettably allowed a collection of shitposts to accumulate.

Within those shitposts, the narrative was shifted to circumcision.

On April 26, 2019 at 01:23:45, the thread hit peak levels of Reddit and blew the roof off a minor subforum.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/kadhimshubber/status/1139467979433959425

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Stupid entrepreneurs and their "trying to make new things work," when has that ever panned out?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're apparently making money off this scam

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to this thread I know call radioactive things at work spicy. As in I just walked past a guy scanning a magnet and said "that's a spicy magnet" and he got what I meant immediately.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dave Concepcion posted:

His politics suck but he’s good at trolling Elon Musk and picking apart retarded (yet overfunded) kickstarters that break the laws of thermodynamics

I feel very sorry for you if you've lived the kind of life that allows you to listen to that voice for more than 20 seconds without shutting him off.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Source4Leko posted:

Thanks to this thread I know call radioactive things at work spicy. As in I just walked past a guy scanning a magnet and said "that's a spicy magnet" and he got what I meant immediately.

Yeah I get the feeling I'm gonna get some weird looks during the fall.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Yeah I get the feeling I'm gonna get some weird looks during the fall.

I would think that now at work when a boss or coworker asks you to do something stupid or is an rear end in a top hat you can be like, "Ok, Dyatlov."🤨

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I still can't believe he was allowed to ruin a nuclear plant after getting all those hikers killed

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Everyone fucks up at first, hence why he got a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jose posted:

I still can't believe he was allowed to ruin a nuclear plant after getting all those hikers killed

I haven't heard this story