Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I want this person to die of untreated emphysema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

it wasn't even their own cartoon. it was a syndicated cartoon that they ran

the most offensive thing about this is that it makes no god drat sense

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

https://twitter.com/vox_union/status/1139550737409748993

https://twitter.com/vox_union/status/1139551791228575744

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bennet looked into whether he could hire ben garrison before deciding that was too far then spent a couple weeks trying to find an anti-trump republican cartoonist to hire then found that none existed so he just axed the entire thing

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

it wasn't even their own cartoon. it was a syndicated cartoon that they ran

why is Trump wearing a yarmulke? that really is a weird anti-semitic detail

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

comedyblissoption posted:

important context here is krugman used to be an advocate for a single payer system but stopped supporting it after obamacare. he is well aware of the overwhelming evidence of how better healthcare is accomplished in other countries in the world

didn't he do an about-face in 2016 on lotsa policies he previously advocated *~for some reason~*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

“only 31% consider cost very important when making a healthcare decision” is quite possibly one of the most infuriating lies I’ve ever heard

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rated PG-34 posted:

In most of the world, what the doctor says still goes. “Doctors are more deified in other countries; patients follow orders,” says Josef Woodman, the CEO of Patients Beyond Borders, a consulting firm that researches international health care. He contrasts this with the attitude of his grown children in the U.S.: “They don’t trust doctors as far as they can throw them.”

Hmm, I wonder why US patients don't trust their doctors: they're probably just being pushy and unreasonable!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gently caress this chickenshit rear end in a top hat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wonder how many new yorkers would run over david brooks with their car if they recognized him crossing the street

it's a big city, there has to be at least a few

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wonder how many new yorkers would run over david brooks with their car if they recognized him crossing the street

it's a big city, there has to be at least a few

More likely that his next wife runs over a pedestrian when he's teaching her how to drive.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, Friedman's latest is bad and dumb, no surprise there

but I'm gonna go through it as I feel it's a great example of friedman's egoism and laziness, which in turn demonstrates just how few fucks the NYT gives when the writer in question has tenure

One more nail for the prosecutor when it comes time to nail this coffin shut, in other words

anyway

TOM FRIEDMAN, L: Connect the Dots to See Where Trump’s Taking Us

Even the title is wrong

As friedman himself says in the subtitle, such a thing is obvious

So he's using a metaphor that suggests a mystery - which is no mystery to literally anyone except professional opinion havers, which make the clear ambiguous regularly to fill out their space

What big dumb tom was evidently going to talk about was recent developments in the auto industry and TUMP trying to change the new CAFE rules of the Obama admin

But evident that required more work than tom was up for

so he fills some space with how climate change is a thing

and I realize that tom deWittless here is basically insulting any remaining god cursed reader who takes friedman seriously

because his whole attitude is "the reason why this is a problem is **CLEARLY** you dumb dumbs have not received my divine wisdom on the topic"

which is narcissistic and insane, as if Friedman is the only person on earth who understands climate change

oh and I guess I should have mentioned this before, but this week Tom is anti-TUMPO

you know, the guy who LITERALLY last week was an apologist and said would be great if only Trump could listen to him, Tom Friedman

Oh, and then we get back to the dots analogy, which I must point out again is not just a failure, but invoking the opposite of what Friedman means

But (and we've seen this before) I think Tom has forgot this, and now is just running with "trump is a reactionary rear end in a top hat on climate change"

Like he's Tom Hanks, Harvard Symbologist, pointing out secrets hidden in plain sight

This padding is 2/3rds the column

Then, we get to something substantive. TL;DR Obama redid CAFE with the Automakers. The result was new, ambitious mileage and emission goals to be met by 2025, and the ending of the now bogus distinction between cars and light trucks, with mileage standards coming from a "footprint" calculation that still favors the profit centers of NA automakers. The auto industry was for these changes, for among other things they promised to unify emission standards across the US. California especially has been making its own emission standards which presidents have been signing some sort of EPA special permission slip for since Reagan. Automakers would much rather adopt the CA standard as the national one --- then get it locked in for as long as old CAFE was around. Stability was the other thing the automakers were getting out of this new CAFE, as theirs is a low margin global business, so knowing the latest goals are going to be the last new ones for a long time lets them sleep better at night.

If restful sleep was the goal, TUMP has been loving the dogs every warm night around 2 AM, because of course he's following what the petroleum industry wants, getting rid of mileage/emissions with the koch brothers once again behind it all.

Now there's more going on still, but everything I just told you is more than friedman knows, and he block quotes the start of an article where I learned some of it...in the goddamn NYT

The automakers themselves have seen how badly this is going to go and most of them signed an open letter to Trump to stop, please god just stop - they'd much rather Obama's scheme remain as it is then the total devolution trump's kochmonster wants

So to the auto industry which is EXPLICITLY ON FRIEDMAN'S SIDE IN THIS, Tom says:

quote:

Personally, I have no sympathy for the automakers. They brought this on themselves. [...] They got the G.O.P. to more or less freeze the 1980s mileage improvement standards that grew out of the 1970s oil crisis, claiming it would be too expensive for them to keep improving. [...]

So haha, take that, people who agree with me totally

quote:

And now these same foolish and selfish Detroit auto executives, in combination with Trump’s coal-lobby-led Environmental Protection Agency, want to rerun the same play. The companies just wanted Trump to not get as crazy in rolling back standards as he did.

This is totally wrong, and had big dumb tom actually bothered to read the sad, failing, NYT he would know that

friedman serves us a slice of yellow peril

then hypes what a billionaire is doing to fight CC and says "this good"

then some more bloviating for lost profits from those inscrutable Chinese and another "Tump bad, this bad" and that's the conclusion

oh and we lost the connect the dots theme once automakers come into it, but we did get this sentence:

quote:

Trump is trying to lower auto emission/mileage standards that were making our car companies more competitive against efficient Chinese and Japanese automakers — and making our air cleaner — while Trump is signing multibillion-dollar bailouts for farmers and Air Force bases ravaged by extreme weather that has been amplified by climate change that is amplified by carbon pollution, while Trump is having his bureaucrats hide evidence of climate change and while Trump is forcing Americans to pay billions in tariffs on Chinese imports to protect against, among other things, future competition from Chinese electric vehicles that have zero emissions and zero oil consumption.

oh those lucky ducky farmers and USAF bases! How many times have we, the American taxpayer, bailed out a **nonprofitable** USAF base?!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gently caress this chickenshit rear end in a top hat

"the good"

cool i guess this is what an aneurysm feels like

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

“only 31% consider cost very important when making a healthcare decision” is quite possibly one of the most infuriating lies I’ve ever heard

it's useful to know 31% of people are willing to admit they're not rich

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

time for a game of "what did the editors leave out of this writer's byline"!

aside from his long history of consultant roles at healthcare centers, he also partnered with a hospital executive to co-found a healthcare industry magazine-slash-consulting-company, where he is currently employed as president

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Frog Act posted:

cool how that author talks to someone about how social collapse alienated people and makes them lonely and less likely to exercise but then just immediately moves past it ans implies Americans are simply lazy

it's the inverted version of Tim Faust's stuff about health justice. The author has enough personal experience to see that even the best medical technology and most caring doctors can only do so much when a person's life sucks outside the doctor's office, but ideology keeps him from imagining solutions beyond giving up entirely

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Civilized Fishbot posted:

why is Trump wearing a yarmulke? that really is a weird anti-semitic detail

I think it's supposed to be a reference to when he went to Israel. He was wearing a yarmulke when he stuck his hand on the Wailing Wall

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rated PG-34 posted:

American patients similarly don’t like to be told that unexplained symptoms aren’t ominous enough to merit tests. Robert Joseph, a longtime ob‑gyn at three Boston-area hospital systems who last year became a medical director at a firm that runs clinical trials, says some of his patients used to come in demanding laparoscopic surgery to investigate abdominal pain that would almost certainly have gone away on its own. “I told them about the risks of the surgery, but I couldn’t talk them out of it, and if I refused, my liability was huge,” he says. Hospitals might question non-indicated and expensive surgeries, he adds, but saying the patient insisted is sometimes enough to close the case. Joseph, like many American doctors, also worried about getting a bad review from a patient who didn’t want to hear “no.” Such frustrations were a big reason he stopped practicing, he says.

this really is a thing, though it's certainly not limited to the US in any way

in places like britain you'll hear NHS doctors complaining about old people who will just come in every single week to be seen for the same things, almost as if they're just bored or lonely or refusing to take "you're fine you don't need an x-ray and pills" for an answer

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

cool dance moves posted:

I think it's supposed to be a reference to when he went to Israel. He was wearing a yarmulke when he stuck his hand on the Wailing Wall

Alright then it's not nearly so bad. Still a little silly to imply that Trump's little gimmicks of support for "the jewish community" are driven by netanyahu and not American reactionaries, but maybe I'm just looking for reasons to hate the cartoon now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This contract is loving good. Shows that more media unions should be fighting with management more often.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this really is a thing, though it's certainly not limited to the US in any way

in places like britain you'll hear NHS doctors complaining about old people who will just come in every single week to be seen for the same things, almost as if they're just bored or lonely or refusing to take "you're fine you don't need an x-ray and pills" for an answer

The doctor trying to claim overtesting is due to liability is full of poo poo, though. McAllen, TX is one of the most overtested healthcare markets in america and doctor liability for malpractice there is basically 0.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Imagine being the underpaid artist that was told "draw a mean patient yelling at a doctor (he is paying a poo poo town of money to be told to go take some antibiotics and hope it solves the problem after being seen for five minutes)"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

30.5 Days posted:

The doctor trying to claim overtesting is due to liability is full of poo poo, though. McAllen, TX is one of the most overtested healthcare markets in america and doctor liability for malpractice there is basically 0.

my understanding is that while texan tort reform is p bad for medical liability it's still not like you can just go without malpractice insurance there

but my point was that there's certainly more going on than just financial incentive for overtreatment, and that the piece's author is entirely wrong to only see it as a thing that happens in the US (because that would undermine most of their thesis)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Brown Moses posted:

Seeing you all appear to think my opinion on this incident is so important you can go read it in the New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/opinion/iran-tanker-attacks.html

Brown Moses endorsing the obvious lie that Iran attacked a Japanese oil tanker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
what reasoning are they even using for Iran to do this.

just to be dick.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

just to be dick.

According to America they did it to be evil.

According to people who think they're smart, it's a retaliation for sanctions and a previous attack on one of their oil derricks. A retaliation on - a Japanese oil tanker.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

just to be dick.

who can understand the ways of the inscrutable Iranian government? they're all wild and crazy and irrational and prone to committing completely senseless and random violence against Western interests for absolutely no reason, just like every other country the US hates

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

just to be dick.

*approaches mic*

Ahem

Mullahs

*crowd explodes in applause as defense industry lobbying money rains down from the ceiling*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

According to America they did it to be evil.

According to people who think they're smart, it's a retaliation for sanctions and a previous attack on one of their oil derricks. A retaliation on - a Japanese oil tanker.
while they are literally meeting with the japanese prime minister nominally to try to foster good relations

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wow...such responsible, serious journalism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

isnt abe like a bazillion years old and a giant fixture in japanese politics for as long as anyone can remember

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

isnt abe like a bazillion years old and a giant fixture in japanese politics for as long as anyone can remember

I wouldn't be surprised if they think the no warfare clause of their constitution meant Japan didn't have any kind of foreign policy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Some Guy TT posted:

abe's dad was one of the formative members of the ldp after the war (and before the war they were involved in some pretty :thunk: related poo poo).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think they think the only way to conduct foreign policy is to literally go there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
it’s only been a few hundred years since they acknowledged that foreigners even existed so all things considered I’d say they’re learning pretty quickly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is Japan even buying the whole 'Iran bombed a random tanker literally in the middle of negotiations' thing?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Japan even buying the whole 'Iran bombed a random tanker literally in the middle of negotiations' thing?

no they are loudly insisting that iran didn't have anything to do with it

because they didn't

obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iran has a material interest in exporting oil to japan again

bombing japanese tankers is literally against their own material interests