Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/388

I guess we finally found out how the Skyggemyrians were always one step ahead of them in the treasure hunts

I wonder how sane the ambassador is by this point in his diaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I like that the woman who keeps getting in the way is called Hopegrinder. It fits the negative theme for people's surnames and is incredibly on the nose about what her role is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's only negative if you're their enemy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Lone Badger posted:

He killed himself often enough to make statistical predictions based on livelihoods. And then he changed something, repeated the process and continued doing that. He probably killed himself hundreds of times just to find that out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

vyelkin posted:

http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/388

I guess we finally found out how the Skyggemyrians were always one step ahead of them in the treasure hunts

There's so much piling up right now that I forgot that was even a mystery but damned if it didn't just get solved

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The ghost monkey freaked out after only a few deaths.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, but the ambassador was prepared for it and made sure to set up a quick and painless death. Maybe even a pleasant one. You know, relaxing music, some scented candles, instantaneous headcrushing device, bottle of wine...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If someone knew how the scepter worked you could have them touch it and they'd never know.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah his heart's in the right place for sure

We now that, but know we can't know how fast it's going.

Edit: I've just realized that the most important thing Thorsby did in that comic was the thing he didn't do - try to work his theories into a narrative comic.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 18, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

If someone knew how the scepter worked you could have them touch it and they'd never know.

They would know when they finally died and snapped back to the moment they touched it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

They would know when they finally died and snapped back to the moment they touched it.

Sorry, meant to say have them touch a fake.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh man, that's a perfect way to take out a villain.

Just let them get ahold of it, wait a little while, and then leak some juicy info that would have been useful earlier and let the problem solve itself.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
lol at "Barbara wins in every universe, oops, she played herself"

although I do wonder how it's random candidates, given the ridiculously specific way her scheme backfired, I guess it was mostly random who won the actual vote so she'd have to use different schemes every time

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol at "Barbara wins in every universe, oops, she played herself"

although I do wonder how it's random candidates, given the ridiculously specific way her scheme backfired, I guess it was mostly random who won the actual vote so she'd have to use different schemes every time

The scheme was suggested by the vice president. Assuming that guy wasn't sent by the ambassador, the chances of her finding an actually competent vice president have got to be insanely low.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

:thunk: :stare:

:stare: :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Well done thread posters who predicted this very scenario.

Well done Synthbuttrange for posting that image so I can enjoy it once more. It got an audible "Hah!" from me this morning.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I think thorsby originally had a plan for why the stars vanished in the simulation but realised it doesn't actually make sense so he's just going with "I don't know why, but the simulation is just imperfect"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

pathetic little tramp posted:

I think thorsby originally had a plan for why the stars vanished in the simulation but realised it doesn't actually make sense so he's just going with "I don't know why, but the simulation is just imperfect"

The world isn't exactly advanced in astrophysics the 5 and a bit light year sphere is a viable explaintion

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Scepter created by species with average lifespan of 3 years. They added a bit of padding, but didn't bother programming for edge-cases like exceptionally-old people.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have not understood a single thing that's happened in this strip except that they're in a simulated world within another unrelated character's death simulation after having touched the stick

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So that's why they have to keep our dumb mage guy alive! Some of those fake beings have learned that they're inside a fake universe and try to keep him alive as long as possible, to extend their existence since they all blink out as soon as he keels over!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

I have not understood a single thing that's happened in this strip except that they're in a simulated world within another unrelated character's death simulation after having touched the stick

They're in Lyndon's death simulation.

Libluini posted:

So that's why they have to keep our dumb mage guy alive! Some of those fake beings have learned that they're inside a fake universe and try to keep him alive as long as possible, to extend their existence since they all blink out as soon as he keels over!

They were also trying to prevent him from learning anything useful to the situation he'd really be. Hence all the lies, and treating him well instead of killing him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also making him super buff will confuse the hell out of real Lyndon.

Can't get buff or I'll die
:goonsay:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Calaveron posted:

Libluini posted:

How the hell are you only just getting this?
Have you even been reading the comic?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Elfface posted:

Scepter created by species with average lifespan of 3 years. They added a bit of padding, but didn't bother programming for edge-cases like exceptionally-old people.

Maybe it was designed for combat use. If the question is “How will I die tomorrow?” The fact that it stops being accurate a few years out probably doesn’t bother you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rumda posted:

I'm mostly talking about using the simulation to predict things

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This comic's been running consistently since October 2015. Let's take a moment to appreciate the time and effort Thorsby's put into this epic tale.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

I suspected this from the beginning, but seeing my dumb hunch being confirmed is kind of nice.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

This comic's been running consistently since October 2015. Let's take a moment to appreciate the time and effort Thorsby's put into this epic tale.

Jesus that long? I feel like I was starting Brain Chip not that long ago.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've done the math - the simulation has a radius of 1.8 parsecs.

(Someone else previously figured out that the simulation simulates a sphere around the world that contains not stars besides the sun, so when the still-traveling starlight runs out, that's it. In our universe, the nearest star besides our Sun is Proxima Centauri, 4.367 light years away, so the comic's setting's nearest non-sun star must be further away.)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 23, 2019

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

BiggerJ posted:

I've done the math - the simulation has a radius of 1.8 parsecs.

(Someone else previously figured out that the simulation simulates a sphere around the world that contains not stars besides the sun, so when the still-traveling starlight runs out, that's it. In our universe, the nearest star besides our Sun is Proxima Centaur, 4.367 light years away, so the comic's setting's nearest non-sun star must be further away.)

Well no stars that appear in the night sky on the hemisphere that both nations are on

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Rumda posted:

The world isn't exactly advanced in astrophysics the 5 and a bit light year sphere is a viable explaintion

Yeah, most likely he came up with the explanation, then realized that the people of the setting probably wouldn't know that light has a finite speed, so he left it as an Exercise for the Reader (TM).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The thing that I love about the scepter is how inaccurate it is. It can really only help you avoid an immediate death. There's no indication of time, so you don't know you've flashed years into the future unless you look extremely different.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Betrayed by my phone. Anyway the scepter is a very cool conceit and I'm interested to see how Lyndon relays all the information back to himself/if gets to.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aubrey yells "Tell me not to betray Trixie or Klara will die!" Then stabs Lyndon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elfface posted:

Aubrey yells "Tell me not to betray Trixie or Klara will die!" Then stabs Lyndon.

Too late for that.

It's more like "medicare for all or Klara dies and the entire country is ravaged by war and pestilence, also steal the ambassador's diary as proof"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Spider president died after the embassy heist right? At work right now so I can’t check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does the scepter even work inside a simulation? When the Ambassador touched it after Lyndon did, did he simulate a universe where he killed Lyndon right after touching it? I also wonder how many simulated universes were created in total when Audrey hit the monkey with it.