Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Real devs use Wix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m a YouTube mechanic of a web dev, my main site is a WordPress hosted on Kinsta but I wrote a really useful web app for my site using Flask and Python...but obviously I can’t load the app on the website as Kinsta doesn’t use Python. I’m wondering what my best option would be now, moving my WordPress to a service like DigitalOcean which I think can run Python or something else? I’m not necessarily worried about the app being a direct link on the site but more of it just having my domain on it instead of its hosting on puthonanywheres. Sorry if this is a convoluted question.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m a YouTube mechanic of a web dev, my main site is a WordPress hosted on Kinsta but I wrote a really useful web app for my site using Flask and Python...but obviously I can’t load the app on the website as Kinsta doesn’t use Python. I’m wondering what my best option would be now, moving my WordPress to a service like DigitalOcean which I think can run Python or something else? I’m not necessarily worried about the app being a direct link on the site but more of it just having my domain on it instead of its hosting on puthonanywheres. Sorry if this is a convoluted question.

If you want to have some site hotsed on domain.com/ and a web app on domain.com/app/ the answer I usually see is a reverse proxy. I've never set one up.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CarForumPoster posted:

If you want to have some site hotsed on domain.com/ and a web app on domain.com/app/ the answer I usually see is a reverse proxy. I've never set one up.

As is usual, DO has the best docs

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...tu-18-04-server

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

CarForumPoster posted:

Alternative to nginx, consider caddy, suggested to me by some goon a month or two ago. I'm allergic to linux but got it up and running (with bonus automatic https) more or less instantly.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

CarForumPoster posted:

You could alternative host the app as a subdomain. I.e app.site.com which miiiiight cause less headaches depending on what you’re trying to do

I would definitely recommend self hosting and use nginx to set up 2 server blocks - 1 for your app and one for the site

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grump posted:

You could alternative host the app as a subdomain. I.e app.site.com which miiiiight cause less headaches depending on what you’re trying to do

I would definitely recommend self hosting and use nginx to set up 2 server blocks - 1 for your app and one for the site

From what I've read you generally sacrifice SEO for this which is anathema to most companies.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm ok so Atleast there’s options thanks all

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

So I'm trying to teach myself back-end programming using Spring Boot and I'm just making a simple forum-like API where a person can register, login, make a thread, and post in a thread. I have a couple concerns about password/cookie hashing I'm hoping someone could help answer.

1) Currently, the POST request to log in takes about 8 seconds. I am assuming this is due to the hashing of the password the user enters in order to compare it to the stored hash. I'm testing this on a 2014 MacBook Air, so I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the speed of my computer or if it's something I should try to fix. The function is:

code:
    @Autowired
    private UserRepository repository;

BCryptPasswordEncoder encoder = new BCryptPasswordEncoder(16);

@PostMapping("/login")
    @ResponseBody
    public String attemptLogin(@RequestBody LoginForm loginForm, HttpServletResponse response) {
        User foundUser = repository.findByUserName(loginForm.getUserName());
        if(encoder.matches(loginForm.getPassword(), foundUser.getHashedPassword())) {
            String newSessionId = UUID.randomUUID().toString();
            foundUser.setSessionId(newSessionId);
            repository.save(foundUser);
            response.addCookie(new Cookie("SESSION-ID", foundUser.getSessionId()));
            return "Login successful.";
        }
        return "Login failed.";
    }
2) The Session ID cookie that is created above is currently not hashed, however I've seen online that it should be. Right now, the user's Session ID cookie is read and checked against the stored value every time they make a thread or post. If I hash it, I'm assuming it would take about the same time as logging in. Is there some other way I should be doing this so that the Session ID doesn't have to be checked every single time a POST request is made, or is this again just an issue with the speed of my computer that wouldn't be noticeable on a real server? An example of the thread posting function is below.

code:
    @PostMapping("/makethread")
    public void makeThread(@RequestBody ThreadForm threadForm,
                           @CookieValue(value="SESSION-ID") String sessionId) {
        User author = userRepository.findBySessionId(sessionId);
        Thread newThread = new Thread(threadForm.getThreadTitle(), author.getId());
        Post newPost = new Post(newThread.getThreadId(), author.getId(), threadForm.getOrigPost());
        newThread.getPostsInThread().add(newPost);
        postRepository.save(newPost);
        threadRepository.save(newThread);
    }
e: Had the chance to try it on my Windows desktop and the request only took 140 ms, so yeah.

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 7, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm trying to convert my website from a bunch of css etc files I manually downloaded to one that's properly set up with npm/hugo. I have no idea what I'm doing, so my directory structure looks like this

code:
website.com/
  hugo_files/
    assets/
    content/
  node_modules/
    a_sass_module/
If I want Hugo to compile the sass files for me then I need to get it into `hugo_files/assets` (I think). What's the correct way to put the files in `node_modules` into there without copy/pasting? Am I suppose to just write a `Makefile` or some other script to do this for me? Or am I suppose to compile this myself before I run hugo?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i vomit kittens posted:

So I'm trying to teach myself back-end programming using Spring Boot and I'm just making a simple forum-like API where a person can register, login, make a thread, and post in a thread. I have a couple concerns about password/cookie hashing I'm hoping someone could help answer.

1) Currently, the POST request to log in takes about 8 seconds. I am assuming this is due to the hashing of the password the user enters in order to compare it to the stored hash. I'm testing this on a 2014 MacBook Air, so I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the speed of my computer or if it's something I should try to fix. The function is:

code:
    @Autowired
    private UserRepository repository;

BCryptPasswordEncoder encoder = new BCryptPasswordEncoder(16);

@PostMapping("/login")
    @ResponseBody
    public String attemptLogin(@RequestBody LoginForm loginForm, HttpServletResponse response) {
        User foundUser = repository.findByUserName(loginForm.getUserName());
        if(encoder.matches(loginForm.getPassword(), foundUser.getHashedPassword())) {
            String newSessionId = UUID.randomUUID().toString();
            foundUser.setSessionId(newSessionId);
            repository.save(foundUser);
            response.addCookie(new Cookie("SESSION-ID", foundUser.getSessionId()));
            return "Login successful.";
        }
        return "Login failed.";
    }
2) The Session ID cookie that is created above is currently not hashed, however I've seen online that it should be. Right now, the user's Session ID cookie is read and checked against the stored value every time they make a thread or post. If I hash it, I'm assuming it would take about the same time as logging in. Is there some other way I should be doing this so that the Session ID doesn't have to be checked every single time a POST request is made, or is this again just an issue with the speed of my computer that wouldn't be noticeable on a real server? An example of the thread posting function is below.

code:
    @PostMapping("/makethread")
    public void makeThread(@RequestBody ThreadForm threadForm,
                           @CookieValue(value="SESSION-ID") String sessionId) {
        User author = userRepository.findBySessionId(sessionId);
        Thread newThread = new Thread(threadForm.getThreadTitle(), author.getId());
        Post newPost = new Post(newThread.getThreadId(), author.getId(), threadForm.getOrigPost());
        newThread.getPostsInThread().add(newPost);
        postRepository.save(newPost);
        threadRepository.save(newThread);
    }
e: Had the chance to try it on my Windows desktop and the request only took 140 ms, so yeah.

Hashing session IDs is good practice to prevent re-use if someone gains unauthorized access to the DB. The OWASP cheat sheet on session management is a good resource for other things you should be doing wrt session management. OWASP also has a purposefully insecure Spring application as an educational tool with built in lessons if you wanna learn more about the various ways you can gently caress up a web application(and how to do it right).

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm trying to convert my website from a bunch of css etc files I manually downloaded to one that's properly set up with npm/hugo. I have no idea what I'm doing, so my directory structure looks like this

code:
website.com/
  hugo_files/
    assets/
    content/
  node_modules/
    a_sass_module/
If I want Hugo to compile the sass files for me then I need to get it into `hugo_files/assets` (I think). What's the correct way to put the files in `node_modules` into there without copy/pasting? Am I suppose to just write a `Makefile` or some other script to do this for me? Or am I suppose to compile this myself before I run hugo?

You could use a build tool like webpack or even just a shell script if it's simple enough. Hugo's not really involved in building your theme, though, it just builds web pages according to the templates in your theme and copies your static assets along with it.

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 10, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I need to test stuff in mobile safari, but I'm a dirty android and windows/linux user.

Is a used ipod touch going to be good enough for this task? Any other options I should consider like maybe an emulator or something?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thermopyle posted:

I need to test stuff in mobile safari, but I'm a dirty android and windows/linux user.

Is a used ipod touch going to be good enough for this task? Any other options I should consider like maybe an emulator or something?

Browserstack or equivalent competitor if you don't mind an ongoing cost

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Browserstack or equivalent competitor if you don't mind an ongoing cost

Yes, but also nothing beats testing on a real device (think you can make a swipe from the left gesture on iOS? Think again)

I say go for an iPod touch as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a few requests to add live chat features to sites lately. What's the preferred solution for that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LifeLynx posted:

I'm getting a few requests to add live chat features to sites lately. What's the preferred solution for that?

Firing your client.

Barring that, I think tawk.to is a decent solution that I selected last time this came up, but I think the client got bored and decided they didn't want to pay for the integration after all, so I'm not sure how it actually works.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Firing your client.

Barring that, I think tawk.to is a decent solution that I selected last time this came up, but I think the client got bored and decided they didn't want to pay for the integration after all, so I'm not sure how it actually works.

I don't like the idea of them either (is someone at Joe's Auto Repair going to sit there on chat all day enough to be worth it?) but I've seen them pop up on the web design trends lately and people want them, so what can I do?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LifeLynx posted:

I don't like the idea of them either (is someone at Joe's Auto Repair going to sit there on chat all day enough to be worth it?) but I've seen them pop up on the web design trends lately and people want them, so what can I do?

Give them a cost-benefit analysis of live chat and someone to reliably staff it, versus other means of generating leads, and make sure it uses assumptions that prove live chat is the wrong way to go.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Facebook messenger integration makes the most sense to me. Already great for business and don’t have to worry about managing the tech.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Give them a cost-benefit analysis of live chat and someone to reliably staff it, versus other means of generating leads, and make sure it uses assumptions that prove live chat is the wrong way to go.

I deal with a lot of requests I can't talk clients out of that I know are bad for their business. Large obnoxious "visit us on Facebook!" buttons in the header, sliders that add load time for no benefit, putting up grainy cellphone videos as the main hero image because "it shows our truck!", ugly CAPTCHAs because they panic if they don't see an "I'm not a robot" checkbox, you name it. People are stuck with bad assumptions about how things work, and it costs me less in time and future blood pressure medication costs if I just charge them to do it instead of arguing.

Just in case, you seem like you've done a cost-benefit analysis vs. other methods - got any references handy I can show them in the 1% chance I can convince them not to do it?

The Dave posted:

Facebook messenger integration makes the most sense to me. Already great for business and don’t have to worry about managing the tech.

Yeah that sounds like a good solution. They all have Facebook pages, so it's something they already use.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Just in case, you seem like you've done a cost-benefit analysis vs. other methods - got any references handy I can show them in the 1% chance I can convince them not to do it?

I do less of a traditional CBA and more of Drake equation sort of thing.

Start with the number of visitors to the site that don't bounce after the first thirty seconds or whatever, during the hours that the chat would be attended to, then estimate the percentage of those who are visiting the site for reasons other than they already want to buy a product or service. Then estimate the number of those people who would prefer an online chat-box rather than phone, SMS, social media or email contacts, all of which are better because you necessarily get their contact details in the process. Then estimate the number of people you can successfully convert from "on the fence" to "purchaser" using that chat box. Then factor in a possible lag in response time if you don't have a full-time person attending to the chat window, which is judged more harshly with a chat box than any other means of communication because people expect it to be more or less instant.

You end up with such a vanishingly small number in most cases that the benefit cannot possibly justify the cost, unless you already have a dedicated support team and they can attend to chats as necessary when not busy with other work.

You can also factor in the issue of paying someone to attend to the chat box who actually is knowledgeable enough to useful beyond relaying static information that should be a part of the site or a form response in the first place. The intersection of all these factors, where having a chat box makes legitimate sense, exists -- but it's quite small.

The other good question to ask is, "honestly, of all the websites you've seen with a chat box, how often have you used the chat box, and of that, how often has it resulted in a benefit to the business you're chatting with?" I do this with a lot of features because, ultimately, people need to be reminded that users behave quite predictably in most cases, and not generally the way the website designers wish they would behave.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 13, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've used tawk.to quite a bit, both paid and unpaid. Where it seemed to have the most impact is less on lead generation (though it did have an impact there) and more on support. This was white box ecommerce but quite a few basic questions would get asked/answered each day, and if your chat people are good that == sales, either by supporting returning customers, or impressing new customers to go with you simply because they were able to get an answer easily. That said about 1 in 10 were negative income questioners, e.g. spend more time getting answers and consuming rep time than their sale would be worth.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Websocket, is how you'd approach this, for ref.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 13, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Websocket, is how you'd approach this, for ref.

Well, if you want to reinvent the wheel. Which you definitely shouldn't do without an exceptionally good reason.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LifeLynx posted:

Try Olark, it used to be very convenient.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I use Intercom or Live Chat. Live Chat is pretty good.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think theres a windows version of safari, but dont know if is discontinued.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tei posted:

There is, but it hasn't received any updates since 2010 so it's not worth using. It's baffling that Apple still offers it for download.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

e: ^ dang has it been that long? poo poo I'm old

Tei posted:

Yeah, at least four or five years ago. It was really bad anyway.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Had a client recently have me implement freshchat, since I guess they already had it because they were using freshdesk? It was easy enough to implement (You're just adding an iframe to the page). You just configure it and they can start pretending like they'll use it all the time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I found a bizarre bug on one of my forms. There's a checkbox that, when clicked, shows a popup with Y/N prompt (regardless of whether it's checked or not).

So:
* Click checkbox
* It gets checked
* Shows Popup
* Click Yes or No
* Some function runs and, based on the checked state, disables one of two groups of controls.

It was discovered that if you save the record first, the Checkbox is still clickable, but its Checked state isn't being updated? So what's happening instead is

* Click checkbox
* Checked state stays whatever it was when you saved the form
* Shows Popup
* Click Yes or No
* Some function runs (and incorrectly evaluates the checked state)

I didn't change the definition of this checkbox in the CSHTML, I searched the entire JS codebase for the control name and simply the word 'checked' and it's not being manipulated directly.

I have absolutely no clue what the hell is causing this. The control isn't disabled/readonly (can checkboxes even be readonly?), only CSS classes are the Telerik/Kendo ones. Nothing was changed in the Controller. Any ideas what I can look at?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

How are you storing the checkbox's state? Are you storing the state in javascript somewhere or is it just the native implementation of the control (ala document.getElementById("elementId").checked)?

How are you retrieving the checkbox's state? Specifically, what JS code are you using to analyze the state of the checkbox?

Are you encountering any errors (check the console) on or after submit that would cause subsequent JS to not run correctly?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No errors in the Console when loading the page, checking/unchecking the control, saving the form, or re-toggling the checkbox.

View:
code:
@(Html.Kendo().CheckBoxFor(e => e.MiniFIM).Label("PAC-CFI").HtmlAttributes(new { id = "chkMiniFIM", @tabIndex = "1", onclick = "PREValidateMiniFim()" }))
JS:
code:
function PREValidateMiniFIM
{
        var chbName = "chkMiniFIM";
        var isIRF3 = $("#hidIRFPAIQIVersion").val().localeCompare("V3.0") >= 0;

if (isIRF3 && $('#' + chbName).is(':checked') == true)
        {
                //enable and disable some set of controls
        }
        else
        {
                //enable and disable some other set of controls
        }
}
Model:
code:
public string MiniFIM { get; set; }

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Could i bother ya'll for some design feedback on my to-be personal website? https://murmuring-tor-67701.herokuapp.com/index

I hope to use it when i actually finish something

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vilgefartz posted:

Could i bother ya'll for some design feedback on my to-be personal website? https://murmuring-tor-67701.herokuapp.com/index

Sure! In general it looks a little bare bones at the moment. If this is a portfolio site you need to sell yourself a little more with your design. Give it some more breathing room by spacing out elements from each other, they feel too tightly packed right now. The color palette is fine, but it feels pretty dark as white/red on has a very specific, heavy feel to it. Maybe switch things up so that white is more of a primary color. Consider layering in additional typographic styles for project descriptions/titles. Show pictures in the gallery on page load, don't make me click into an accordion to see them. Depending on how many projects you have and how long their descriptions are, maybe don't require me to click into a project at all – just show them to me on the homepage.

I'd recommend checking out the portfolio section of Site Inspire to get an idea of how folks are handling this type of site these days. On the whole, I find they tend to be more narrative driven and use a lot of imagery. If you don't have a lot of sexy images, you can still do interesting things with typography to spice things up.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Sure! In general it looks a little bare bones at the moment. If this is a portfolio site you need to sell yourself a little more with your design. Give it some more breathing room by spacing out elements from each other, they feel too tightly packed right now. The color palette is fine, but it feels pretty dark as white/red on has a very specific, heavy feel to it. Maybe switch things up so that white is more of a primary color. Consider layering in additional typographic styles for project descriptions/titles. Show pictures in the gallery on page load, don't make me click into an accordion to see them. Depending on how many projects you have and how long their descriptions are, maybe don't require me to click into a project at all – just show them to me on the homepage.

I'd recommend checking out the portfolio section of Site Inspire to get an idea of how folks are handling this type of site these days. On the whole, I find they tend to be more narrative driven and use a lot of imagery. If you don't have a lot of sexy images, you can still do interesting things with typography to spice things up.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely work on spacing it out and mixing in some different fonts, and trying lightening up the colour scheme. I think i'll squeeze my project details into those main page project divs too, and just expand them out when you click the link. I think i put them on a separate page because i was worried about responsiveness using a phone. Mine derps out a lot on the transformer websites.

I should've specified but it's not going be a portfolio site, that type of front-end design is bit arty for me. I just want it to look like a professional-ish catalogue of stuff i've done.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Vilgefartz posted:

Much better than most! Front page is nice and clean. I'd either space out the project blocks more or remove all space between them. The "website design" footer bar needs to go. It looks like an afterthought design-wise, and the info doesn't really need to be there.

Your resume could use some loving though. First: it's a list of stuff, so use the list HTML elements for it. Second, let it breathe. You aren't trying to cram it all on one piece of paper, so don't be afraid of whitespace. I did a few tweaks in the inspector to space things out a little, and I think it reads a lot better. Also, and this goes for everyone: Use a base unit, and have everything be a multiple of that. I tend to use 8px, so body text is 16px, headers are 24, 32, 40, etc. Margins and padding are multiples of 8, etc. It really makes things feel cohesive, and when I look at the source of candidates' sites, if i see they are using a base unit / grid system, they get a gold star.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LifeLynx posted:

I user intercom and like it. Its trivial to add. Copy paste a bit of html.

For the client they have iOS and Android apps so you can actually do live support.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 15, 2019

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Vilgefartz posted:

set your caching headers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

Much better than most! Front page is nice and clean. I'd either space out the project blocks more or remove all space between them. The "website design" footer bar needs to go. It looks like an afterthought design-wise, and the info doesn't really need to be there.

Your resume could use some loving though. First: it's a list of stuff, so use the list HTML elements for it. Second, let it breathe. You aren't trying to cram it all on one piece of paper, so don't be afraid of whitespace. I did a few tweaks in the inspector to space things out a little, and I think it reads a lot better. Also, and this goes for everyone: Use a base unit, and have everything be a multiple of that. I tend to use 8px, so body text is 16px, headers are 24, 32, 40, etc. Margins and padding are multiples of 8, etc. It really makes things feel cohesive, and when I look at the source of candidates' sites, if i see they are using a base unit / grid system, they get a gold star.

Awesome thanks for this, and ty for taking the time to look. I spaced it out a lot and also made it a little friendlier colour-wise. I also fixed most of units on padding/margins to be multiples of 8, except for the divs in the project boxes on the front page. Giving them 8px or more space feels a bit excessive to me? Also i think i got caching headers working. I had no idea what that was. Now i've got them i can stop annihilating my phones limited bandwidth. Do you mind having a look again and telling me what you think? https://murmuring-tor-67701.herokuapp.com/index

edit: still have to move projects onto front page

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 16, 2019