Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

100YrsofAttitude posted:

EDIT:
Well, she has used her box since. We've added enzymatic spray and stuff to the mattress and we're letting it dry out. She's gone back to sniff at the area a couple of times now. Not sure what that means. We'll see.

Have you let the enzymatic spray soak for a day or two in the mattress before letting it dry? The instructions on ours said so. Spray, cover it up with foil or a plastic box, and re-apply spray every couple hours so the bacteria can do their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zwille posted:

Have you let the enzymatic spray soak for a day or two in the mattress before letting it dry? The instructions on ours said so. Spray, cover it up with foil or a plastic box, and re-apply spray every couple hours so the bacteria can do their work.

Ours didn't ask us to do that, but we followed the instructions otherwise which was to thoroughly soak it and let it dry out overnight. The smell has been taken care of and she's gone back to her old good habits.

Since it was an due to lack of options, and not a sign of illness or anything I don't see it happening again. I'll find out tonight if she ends up peeing on my feet while I'm sleeping or not.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

One of the neighborhood cats left a kitten in my mom's yard.
Taken on my mom's potato phone

We know who the mom is and this isnt the first time shes ditched a kid when a new gentleman caller came sniffing around.
Anyways the kitten has problems so my mom is trying to beef it up a bit before taking it to the vet.

This is what she said is wrong with it:
"(the kitten) was dragging itself and tumbling all over the place. We thought it was hurt. So I went to checked on it and it was a kitten who constantly shake its head and have trouble walking. Very bony, hungry and pitiful. We are trying to nourish it and hopefully it will get better. We don't know if someone hurt it or is born that way."

Any ideas?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Maybe it's one those diseases that cats get and causes neurological damage? I've seen it before, and a cat in the shelter our kitty a staying in had it. Sweetest little cat with a unsteady gait and a little head-wobble.

I was trying to find the viral disease I was thinking of but maybe it's more like this, which is apparently caused by Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXrcCoE_fUE

Update on our little piss-monster, we added a second litter-box (an easy decision but not the most practical in a 1 br) and I also used a different litter in that one. So far she's preferring the new box and hasn't peed anywhere else, so I'm guessing she's mostly particular about either doing her business in the bedroom all of the sudden or changed her mind about the kind of litter she tolerates. Will experiment to find out, but I guess it was just 'cats v:shobon:v'

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

maou shoujo posted:

How soon after moving is it appropriate to have him neutered? And how much does neutering cost? They say he's up to date on his shots, but neutering is definitely necessary as he's going to be living with another cat someday. He'd be my only cat, but the person who I'm looking at moving in with in a few months has a cat of her own.
Neutering can be done at any time. The vet will usually want to do a checkup and some basic bloodwork first to make sure it's safe for him to go through the procedure.

You should neuter him before he moves in with you if possible. Unneutered male cats like to mark their territory, and if he doesn't go outside at all anymore, that's going to mean spraying your stuff.

The cost of neutering varies by vet practice. Call a vet in your area who's known for doing good work and ask them for their pricing. The procedure itself is usually pretty cheap, but the bloodwork and extra painkillers will add to the cost. Please do your cat a favor and don't opt out of the followup painkillers. Having his balls chopped off will make him sore for a while afterward and painkillers are a nice thing.

maou shoujo posted:

With his original owners he was both an indoor and an outdoor cat, with a cat door to be able to go in and out as he pleased. If I adopt him, he would have to be an indoor-only cat. Is this likely to cause problems for him?
It depends on the cat's personality. Some cats really like going outside and have a hard time adjusting to indoor-only life. Give him lots of indoor enrichment (and vary it often!) and maybe consider harness-training him to take him outside on supervised excursions.

maou shoujo posted:

Is there anything else I need to know as a first-time adopter beyond what's in the OP?
Set aside $100 per pet per month. A cat won't cost you that much while he's young, but around the 10-year mark, you'll start eating into the savings if health issues start popping up.

Don't count on him being able to tolerate another cat. Not all cats are social, and even the ones who are social can be picky about who they tolerate.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Update on our little piss-monster, we added a second litter-box (an easy decision but not the most practical in a 1 br) and I also used a different litter in that one. So far she's preferring the new box and hasn't peed anywhere else, so I'm guessing she's mostly particular about either doing her business in the bedroom all of the sudden or changed her mind about the kind of litter she tolerates. Will experiment to find out, but I guess it was just 'cats v:shobon:v'
That's good news so far! Hopefully that keeps going in the right direction. Cats. :argh:

Blackchamber posted:

"(the kitten) was dragging itself and tumbling all over the place. We thought it was hurt. So I went to checked on it and it was a kitten who constantly shake its head and have trouble walking. Very bony, hungry and pitiful. We are trying to nourish it and hopefully it will get better. We don't know if someone hurt it or is born that way."

Any ideas?
This cat needs to go to a vet immediately. It could be a neurological disease or it could have internal injuries. Please try to convince your mom to take it to a vet.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Cat tax cause my floofy boy is being adorable lately

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blackchamber posted:

One of the neighborhood cats left a kitten in my mom's yard.
Taken on my mom's potato phone

We know who the mom is and this isnt the first time shes ditched a kid when a new gentleman caller came sniffing around.
Anyways the kitten has problems so my mom is trying to beef it up a bit before taking it to the vet.

Any ideas?

Take it to a vet now. There's no need to 'beef it up' first - and the vet might be able to help with beefing it up.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This cat needs to go to a vet immediately. It could be a neurological disease or it could have internal injuries. Please try to convince your mom to take it to a vet.

That was of course my suggestion. I guess I just wanted to hear some suggestions on what it might be more out of curiosity.

Dienes posted:

Take it to a vet now. There's no need to 'beef it up' first - and the vet might be able to help with beefing it up.

Yes, thank you. I guess I should have said that was my reaction too. I guess the flood gates are opened though and I will receive a bunch more of the same 'take it to the vet' answers. Unfortunately I live many many states away and I don't have the ability to take it to the vet myself. I am just curious personally to hear what might be wrong with it.

EDIT:

Oh, with regards to my own cats, today I ordered them one of those damned cat wheels. It'll be interesting to see if they take to it or if I just threw my money away. They already have it shipping and should be here thursday. Ginny I predict wont use it, shes not as big into tearing through the place at top speed as Creampuff is. The vet had remarked last time I took CP in for her shots that she was muscular for her age so maybe next time shes seen she'll really be a monster.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 11, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blackchamber posted:

That was of course my suggestion. I guess I just wanted to hear some suggestions on what it might be more out of curiosity.

Yes, thank you. I guess I should have said that was my reaction too. I guess the flood gates are opened though and I will receive a bunch more of the same 'take it to the vet' answers. Unfortunately I live many many states away and I don't have the ability to take it to the vet myself. I am just curious personally to hear what might be wrong with it.

Well tell her the internet agrees with you.

Blackchamber posted:

Oh, with regards to my own cats, today I ordered them one of those damned cat wheels. It'll be interesting to see if they take to it or if I just threw my money away. They already have it shipping and should be here thursday. Ginny I predict wont use it, shes not as big into tearing through the place at top speed as Creampuff is. The vet had remarked last time I took CP in for her shots that she was muscular for her age so maybe next time shes seen she'll really be a monster.

Stock up on treats - it took about a month to train the Obliterator to run on the wheel. First week was just approaching it without freaking out.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Spend as much money as you want on fancy cat toys. Cardboard box with holes in it will win every time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A few days ago I tied a string to a stick. Pudding thinks its the most amazing toy and goes berserk over it and brings it to me to play with him. He’ll swat it off the shelf and meow if he cant see it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My cat got into a fight with the neighbors cat. Neighbors cat is a male who is not neutered. I believe they only scratched each other. this happened in the weekend
She has a small cut just above her nose. I called the emergency vet. and they told me to cook some water, let it cool off and use that to clean the wound.

I then sent an e-mail to my regular vet telling them about all that and if they want to do a checkup. i'm still waiting on a reply.

She's very playful, eats and is active

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep an eye on it. If the wounds get inflamed or exude pus it's vet time. If there's deeper punctures abscesses might occur later.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dienes posted:

Stock up on treats - it took about a month to train the Obliterator to run on the wheel. First week was just approaching it without freaking out.

I will probably add new treats to my stockpile. I give them certain treats for after a brushing and other kinds for after dinner, which I think helps makes each activity distinct and special to them. So wheel running needs to also be special. Both are really treat oriented but as far as training goes Ginny is the only one who connects the behavior = treat and while its slow to get the exact behavior I want shes getting there (I'm trying to get her to do the 'Lucky Cat' arm in the air pose but she never gets the height right) but Creampuff is laser focused on the treat and wont accept any other input into her cat brain. This is probably going to also require the ever elusive red dot.

DrHammond posted:

Spend as much money as you want on fancy cat toys. Cardboard box with holes in it will win every time.

I'm amazed Amazon's shipping dept hasnt crushed the cat toy industry by now, as I get new boxes almost every week. Making a bite-a-mole station is a good idea but I fear for my fingas.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
My cats have no interest in boxes. It's the weirdest thing. They demand to chase wand toys all over the apartment.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One of my cats loves chasing the laser pointer. Other loves anything that has a string. She will chase it all over the house.
I'm going to poke some holes in a cardboard box tonight and see if they wanna play.

One thing I haven't figured out, is how to get the cats to play at the same time
When i'm using the laser pointer. One will watch on as the other chases it over the house. And maybe give a little effort to put her paw on the laser if its near her.

Same with the string on a stick. One of them will chase it all over while the other just watches.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Keep an eye on it. If the wounds get inflamed or exude pus it's vet time. If there's deeper punctures abscesses might occur later.

Vet called me and told me pretty much what you said.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
More floof-centered cat tax

(Note Stealth Cat behind Floof Cat in the last image)

Both rescues, btw

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Cat tax. Ty is actually coming out and hanging out with me, although he still seems to be hiding under the bed a lot. He also is incredibly vocal and purry, like the instant he sees me the purring starts. He doesn't really seem to like playing with toys though. Or moving very fast ever. I've tried to tempt him with a wand toy, and he'll grab at it, but only when it's right next to him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sefal posted:

Vet called me and told me pretty much what you said.

shhh dont give away my secret

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ve made the mistake of making a new habit of feeding my cats wet food in the morning.

I now know what it’s like to have an alarm clock cat.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

I’ve made the mistake of making a new habit of feeding my cats wet food in the morning.

I now know what it’s like to have an alarm clock cat.

Welcome to my world. Only my cat doesn't eat the food. And is just waking me up because it's time to be up.
One of my cats likes to meow at me, let me follow her and then she stretches her paws on the wall.
She also absolutely loves sitting in the sun. I once put the scratch pole in the balcony. and she chilled there for hours
(I put nets on my balcony so they cant fall off.)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What’s the deal with those drinking fountains? How often/thoroughly do they need cleaning? I’m always wary of things that have standing/the same water in. But I think Jimmy would like one.

Also I can’t remember if I mentioned our problems with the non-chip Surefeed bowl (closing mid-munch, possibly due to his colour), but the nice people in customer service told me how to access the secret super-senstive mode. This might have helped a little bit, but the main solution has been Jimmy standing his ground until it re-opens, mostly avoiding being biffed on the nose :v:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I clean the fountain once a week. And replace the filter with a new one every month.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bobstar posted:

What’s the deal with those drinking fountains? How often/thoroughly do they need cleaning? I’m always wary of things that have standing/the same water in. But I think Jimmy would like one.

I'd have to scrub mine down about once a week, maybe once every two weeks. They should have filters, but sometimes some gunk builds up on the plastic in the corners and poo poo.

They still get gross slower than a standard gravity waterer or something (assuming you're talking about a fountain with a pump).

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
They get gross way slower than an actual water bowl for Basil. He loves to drop food and cardboard into the water and then start drinking from people's cups of water because "the bowl is dirty and I'm so thirsty :(" So far he hasn't gotten anything weird into the fountain...other than dipping his paws in for minutes at a time wondering why they get wet :confused:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks, that doesn’t sound too bad. Yeah I was looking at the exact one shown in the bottom corner of Cat Wings’ post above in fact.

My favourite: put water in bowl, put bowl down, water continues to slosh in a see-saw motion, Jimmy puts face in, looks offended every time he gets splashed in the nose :3:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have two of the stainless bowls. When using tap water they'd get scummy after a week. Using filtered water that goes to a month, with them being completely dumped and refilled weekly. When the month is up the dirty one goes in to soak for a couple days in bleach and detergent, while clean one goes in to service.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GenericGirlName posted:

other than dipping his paws in for minutes at a time wondering why they get wet :confused:

My Binx does this, but he wets his paw and licks it to drink instead of just, y'know, sticking his tongue in the water.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have to ask - I went to get two of my cats their shots (other cat was last month). But for the distemper it wasn't a shot - they dropped it into their nose. - the are 99% indors (we let them on to the porch once in a while (S. Philly row homes) but as a preventative ... but I dunno Nasal drippings don't really seem like they will be effictive. Should I be worried?

Here is what it is listed as on the invoice:
FVRCP (Ultranasal) 3 year

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There's a flu vaccine for humans that's nasal drops and at work we ask parents if their small child has had any in drop form so in theory I see nothing wrong with this. Don't have mental energy to look up the specifics on the one you mentioned at this hour, so hopefully someone else will add to what I know.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have to ask - I went to get two of my cats their shots (other cat was last month). But for the distemper it wasn't a shot - they dropped it into their nose. - the are 99% indors (we let them on to the porch once in a while (S. Philly row homes) but as a preventative ... but I dunno Nasal drippings don't really seem like they will be effictive. Should I be worried?

Vaccines like that don't make it to wider public use without testing and such; it should be effective. From what I understand, intranasal vaccines more closely mimic the route the actual disease would take, allowing the body to build a defense that suits how it'd encounter it normally--that's the theory anyway. They're attested to in medical literature, and there's no reason to think your vet would give your cat something that isn't effective. My adult cat Lucky also got that one, and other than being very angry about having this stuff put down his nose, he's otherwise been fine and had none of the post muscle soreness like he gets from his shots.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Don't get hung up on the administration route. Flu Mist is an effective intranasal vaccine for humans. There is a polio vaccine that is orally administrated and that's seemed to work pretty well.

The FVRCP Ultranasal is just as effective as the 'traditional' type of vaccine. Since it can provide protection in as little as 4 days, the ultranasal is preferred for kittens, especially those from shelters or rescues.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you guys but flumist is why I was worried ---- It was labeled as ineffective for a while. Thank you for comforting me :-D

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

despite appearances a) he doesn't want to come in b) it's not even raining

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Does anyone have any experience caring for a cat that has had head trauma? I found a kitten in the street wednesday on my way home from work and rushed her to the emergency vet where she has been since. She's still pretty low on responsiveness but her blood pressure, body temp, etc are stabilizing and it looks like that's what you're looking for the first 48 hours after head trauma. I don't know what it looks like when she leaves the vet though. She isn't able to eat so I guess we'll have a feeding tube for her while she recovers and administer any medicine? I know people give their cats fluids with catheters all the time, is it as easy at that?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Reik posted:

Does anyone have any experience caring for a cat that has had head trauma? I found a kitten in the street wednesday on my way home from work and rushed her to the emergency vet where she has been since. She's still pretty low on responsiveness but her blood pressure, body temp, etc are stabilizing and it looks like that's what you're looking for the first 48 hours after head trauma. I don't know what it looks like when she leaves the vet though. She isn't able to eat so I guess we'll have a feeding tube for her while she recovers and administer any medicine? I know people give their cats fluids with catheters all the time, is it as easy at that?

I hope your vet won't release him/hur until it's okay - but once she comes back home to you, just make sure she doesn't hit her head - and if you have other cats. keep them separated for a while.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I used to administer fluids to a couple of my cats. Basically they give you a liter (1000ml) bag of lactated ringers or normal saline, some tubing, and a box of needles. The needles are capped and can be attached to the tubing for administration. Pick up her scruff lightly between two fingers, and you'll see how the skin stretches. Aim for near the bottom of this stretch, and only push the needle in as far as it needs to be; it will be between her back muscles and skin. The vet should show you how to adjust the flow with compression devices on the tubing; open it a little at first to make sure you're in that subcutaneous space, and if you don't get saline all over your fingers and she doesn't flip poo poo entirely, you're on the right track and can open it more. The vet should give you instructions for how many mls to give and how often. Afterwards, give her lots of kisses and comfort for being a good girl even if she cried the whole time or scratched you; having something pleasant to focus on after something painful helps them recover without becoming skittish of being held.

Good luck both of you!

Edit: you can collect the needles in a hard plastic bottle, like a Gatorade bottle, and when it's full wrap the lid in tape and look up a needle exchange site where you can get rid of it safely. The department of health in your area might do it too.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 15, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Reik posted:

Poor little thing. Good on you for getting her to the vet in time!

I haven't taken care of a cat with head trauma, but I did nurse a cat who had to have a feeding tube. Taking care of the tube and the actual feeding are not difficult. You do have to watch for skin irritation, but that's easy to catch and manage. The frequency of feedings can be a bit of a challenge if you work outside the home. Your vet should be able to help you figure out how to manage that.

One the other hand, since you have to mix the food with water to get a slurry that will go through the tube, and you have to flush the tube before and after feeding, you can get some hydration into the cat with each feeding. Also, administering meds through the tube is a whole lot easier than getting a cat to voluntarily take a pill or liquid by mouth, so in some ways, the tube makes caring for a cat much easier.

Good luck to you and to her!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Reik posted:

While I can't offer direct advice it should be pointed out that you are a fantastic person for caring for the kitten :3:

But as a selfish rear end in a top hat I have to turn this post towards a matter of my own: So I went to the vet and both cats got tapeworm medicine, which is apparently just a one shot and done thing (cool!). We also got 6 months of flea treatment for both which cost an eye opening amount (not cool!). We also got an expected lecture from the vet about the weight of one cat who is an absolute unit at 21 pounds. Even the receptionist couldn't hide her, "Haha holy gently caress look at how big that cat is" reaction when we walked in and afterwards it was clear he was the largest cat they've seen in recent history. Anyways long story short the two cats in the house no longer get wet food and are now on Royal Canin Feline Urinary SO Moderate Calorie which both seem to like. However chonker cat has developed some plaque build up on his teeth prior to the dry-only diet so I figured I'd ask the thread for recommendations on how to deal with that... Hopefully in the form of food like treats. Any recommendations?

Cat tax:

21 pounder is the orange tabby. Tuxedo guy is 15.3 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Have you already tried brushing their teeth? You can find cat tooth brush kits at places like petco.