Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this was actually good for me because there's plenty of stuff that was highlighted that I had forgotten about, like Thacker being possessed by the Quell (?) or like, the fact they used to be called the Pine Guard lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

anyways the [big spoiler for this episode] choice to let Clint play Thacker is great, imo. an important NPC with established plot reasons to be a moderately strong character, but also someone who hasn't been in his right mind for long enough that Clint can take the character in a variety of ways

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this was actually good for me because there's plenty of stuff that was highlighted that I had forgotten about, like Thacker being possessed by the Quell (?) or like, the fact they used to be called the Pine Guard lmao
Same, it really helped me tie some stuff together. My only complaint is that it'd have been nice to have a clearer indication of what was/wasn't flashback, just so I didn't have to totally re-orient every time.

eke out posted:

anyways the [big spoiler for this episode] choice to let Clint play Thacker is great, imo. an important NPC with established plot reasons to be a moderately strong character, but also someone who hasn't been in his right mind for long enough that Clint can take the character in a variety of ways
I also like this a lot and am v interested to see where he goes with it. I'm also really glad (major Amnesty spoiler) Ned appears to actually be staying dead. That makes the impact of the previous episode's events and his character arc much stronger for me than if they were to weasel out of it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Stroop There It Is posted:

Same, it really helped me tie some stuff together. My only complaint is that it'd have been nice to have a clearer indication of what was/wasn't flashback, just so I didn't have to totally re-orient every time.

I like when podcasts play with their format a bit so in theory I was all for an episode like this, but that was my biggest problem. It's because I haven't been as engaged with the story lately so every scene I was left wondering "is this a new scene or is it from a past episode and I wasn't paying attention?" I guess it sort of doesn't matter since it's all relevant which is the point of that whole episode, but it still would have been nice to know what's new info and what's pre-supposed.

Also, did anyone notice that Griffin's voice (and only his voice) sounded a bit lower during some of the flashback scenes? I almost though he was using an effect to disguise his voice until I realized the audio in question was a clip from an older episode. Maybe some sort of editing gaffe? I swear I heard this and it's not me going crazy!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

timp posted:

Also, did anyone notice that Griffin's voice (and only his voice) sounded a bit lower during some of the flashback scenes? I almost though he was using an effect to disguise his voice until I realized the audio in question was a clip from an older episode. Maybe some sort of editing gaffe? I swear I heard this and it's not me going crazy!

I just relistened to the first arc and there's definitely a difference, but I think it's down to Griffin being sick at the time.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I still have no idea what's going on in this story. There's too many characters and they are all Griffin, so they all sound alike.

Danni, FBI guy who hasn't really done anything noteworthy, Cop 1, Ghost Cop 2, Aubrey's training buddy, somebody named Danni, a goatman who can't really talk, a goatman who CAN talk, the mothman, Duck's predecessor...I can't keep these folks straight.

So Sylvain is another planet that is connected to Earth. But Minerva is from a third planet? And she had a war with a fifth planet? And now alien light-beings from a sixth planet are attacking Earth? But the abominations from before were from Sylvain?

Mama made a statue and Ned stole the statue and this was important?
All of the side characters are now missing and neither the government nor Mama knows where they went?
Somebody was a floating coffin made of light?
There was a telescope that broke and this was important? Now there's a new telescope?

I guess the show just doesn't hold my attention, and I forget things while waiting for the new episode. I wish they'd play their arcs for 6 months max.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m with you. This story is a clusterfuck and pretty much none of the side characters are memorable or have any personality. I still am with it for the good boys and the goofs but I hope they get back to basics after this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Squack McQuack posted:

I still have no idea what's going on in this story. There's too many characters and they are all Griffin, so they all sound alike.

Danni, FBI guy who hasn't really done anything noteworthy, Cop 1, Ghost Cop 2, Aubrey's training buddy, somebody named Danni, a goatman who can't really talk, a goatman who CAN talk, the mothman, Duck's predecessor...I can't keep these folks straight.

So Sylvain is another planet that is connected to Earth. But Minerva is from a third planet? And she had a war with a fifth planet? And now alien light-beings from a sixth planet are attacking Earth? But the abominations from before were from Sylvain?

Mama made a statue and Ned stole the statue and this was important?
All of the side characters are now missing and neither the government nor Mama knows where they went?
Somebody was a floating coffin made of light?
There was a telescope that broke and this was important? Now there's a new telescope?

I guess the show just doesn't hold my attention, and I forget things while waiting for the new episode. I wish they'd play their arcs for 6 months max.

It is a lot to keep straight (which is one reason I'm listening to the early episodes again).

My understanding of things (only spoiling stuff that is new from the last episode and maybe some pivotal stuff from the one before), also I have basically no idea how anything is spelled:

There are five known planets that have played a role in the story to this point:

Earth: Pretty sure I don't have to explain what Earth is.

Sylvain: Another planet linked to Earth which is home to a variety of both supernatural creatures and anthropomorphic animals. They're scared to the point of oppressive paranoia of Earth (following an incident centuries ago where humans discovered one of the portal to Sylvain and attacked, damaging the link to Sylvain's life force in the process). Aubrey's magic is Sylvan in origin and it's been implied that she is descended from someone who left Sylvain centuries ago in the wake of that earlier invasion. The 'monsters' on Earth are refugees from Sylvain who are barred from returning. It's been assumed until recently that Sylvain was the origin of the Abominations (though they have denied this). They've also been under attack by something called the Quell, which appears to be some sort of overactive planetary immune system, stepping in to preserve the life of the planet by killing off is inhabitants.

Minerva's Homeworld: We don't know much about it except that Minerva, Duck's mentor/power source is from there. Like Earth and Sylvain, it's linked to another planet, and the two worlds fought a war which all but destroyed them both. Minerva's goal has been to prevent the same fate from befalling Earth (and presumably Sylvain).

Insectoid World: The world linked to Minerva's Homeworld. We know almost nothing about them except that they defeated Minerva's people militarily, and that Minerva led a counterattack with a bioweapon that wiped them out.

World of Light: (This is all speculation). The four-armed light beings/shapeshifters from the last arc come from here through unstable dimensional rifts. They appear to be responsible for at least the recent Abominations, and they were most recently trying to spark open warfare between Earth and Sylvain. It stands to reason that they did something similar to Minerva's planet and its twin world. It's not yet clear why.

Dani: One of the Sylvan refugees at Amnesty Lodge. She's a 'vampire' of some sort. She and Aubrey are close. She was replaced for most of the last arc by a shapeshifter. She was held in that coffin thing, as, briefly was Ned, so that the shapeshifter could access her memories. That's a guess but it fits the facts. When she was released she was hungry to the point of being feral, and Ned took a bullet for her when she charged at a crowd of people.

Agent Stern: An FBI agent who's been staying in Kepler investigating unexplained phenomena. He has indeed not actually done very much beyond complicating matters for the people at the Lodge. The FBI agent played by Hal Lublin in the last episode appears to be his superior.

Sheriff Owens: The sheriff of Kepler. He's butted heads with the team a few times, and he's been naturally suspicious of some of what's been going on. He's gotten clued in as of the last arc (as have a lot of other people).

Deputy Dewey: A sheriff's deputy. Aubrey totally stole his badge, but later (sort of) raised him from the dead. (Travis briefly groused about having burned a luck point to heal him only to have the ghost thing happen instead.)

Janelle: Sylvain's minister of magic and Aubrey's magic tutor. There's also The Interpreter, the ruler of Sylvain with whom Aubrey seems to share some memories, though that hasn't really paid off yet.

Billy: A non-Sylvain goatman created by the Bad Luck Tree Abomination from two arcs ago (I guess?). Duck saved his life and Aubrey used magic to communicate with him, but he has a very limited vocabulary. He had something to do with breaking Ned out of the VR memory scanner when he was briefly held prisoner by the shapeshifters last arc, and the shapeshifter who confronted Ned at the end asked about him, so I'm guessing he'll be important in the final arc somehow.

Vincent: Another goatman, this one from Sylvain. He appears to be the leader of their border patrol, or their secretary of defense, or something.

The Mothman/Indred: Another Sylvan refugee, who can see the future.

Leo Tarkeesian: The owner of the Kepler general store, and Duck's predecessor as Minerva's agent on Earth.

I think that's all the characters you mentioned. Other notables that I can think of who might not be entirely clear to everyone:

Pigeon: A woman Duck encountered in the first episode who clued him into the presence of the first Abomination. She also helped them out while fighting the water elemental. Also she killed Ned.

Barclay: The cook at Amnesty Lodge. Aside from Mama, the Sylvan who's worked most closely with Our Heroes. He's Bigfoot. He and Ned are were close friends in spite of Ned's apparent inability to keep a secret or even understand what secrets actually are.

Dr. Sarah Drake: A researcher at the Green Bank Telescope. Briefly a conduit for Minerva and she appears to now be in the Chosen One club as a result.

The Hornets: A biker gang in Kepler. Keith, one of their members, witnessed Aubrey doing magic, which has led to a certain amount of tension between them. Hollis is their leader. They now appear to work for Aubrey.

Boyd: Ned's former partner in crime. He (or rather a shapeshifter pretending to be him) put Ned up to stealing the statue Mama had sculpted. I don't know if the statue itself was significant or if it was just part of discrediting Ned, but I think it's just the latter.

Thacker: A former Pineguard member who went missing years ago and ended up possessed by the Quell. He is apparently now played by Clint McElroy.

The current state of affairs as far as I can tell:

Janelle and several other Sylvan magicians were deceived (indirectly by Aubrey, who was herself set up by shapeshifter-Dani) into performing a ritual that destroyed Mount Kepler and caused a major disaster in town.

Mama is being held and questioned by the FBI. Amnesty Lodge is deserted.

Duck, Leo, Sarah Drake and Minerva are keeping watch over the former Lodge residents and patrolling for Abominations. It has not yet been clarified whether Duck's powers are back or not.

Aubrey, Barclay, the Hornets and Janelle are holed up at the Cryptonomica. Aubrey just used magic to revive Thacker.

Me: Was REALLY bored at work this afternoon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think duck is going to get some powers back being so close to Minerva and stepping up as a leader.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 14, 2019

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Wow, thanks for the write up! I don’t think there’s any hope for me but I appreciate it nonetheless.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The biggest thing that surprised me going through all that is there have really only been four arcs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if the next 'season' of TAZ is gonna go full "collaborative storytelling"

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I had completely forgotten about the existence of Dr. Harris Bonkers, Ph.D., and I didn't realize how happy I was with that until this episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if the next 'season' of TAZ is gonna go full "collaborative storytelling"

Go back to DnD IMO :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Giodo! posted:

I had completely forgotten about the existence of Dr. Harris Bonkers, Ph.D., and I didn't realize how happy I was with that until this episode.

Oh that character gets sidelined for a while? That aspect of Aubrey was the main reason I bowed out of TAZ.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rest assured, the harmless bunny hasn't really been a thing since like the third episode.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

timp posted:

Go back to DnD IMO :colbert:

no way this happens

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

no way this happens

Yeah, whatever else happens I don't see them abandoning Powered By The Apocalypse for longform stuff, unless they abandon the game conceit entirely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

docbeard posted:

Yeah, whatever else happens I don't see them abandoning Powered By The Apocalypse for longform stuff, unless they abandon the game conceit entirely.

Why not?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not going to say they're never going to change systems again (though PbtA almost assuredly saves them the 20-30 minutes of looking up poo poo in books Griffin probably cut out of every Balance episode where combat or anything rules-based happened) but there's really nothing to do with D&D except play D&D and I don't think they're going back to the fantasy well any time soon, or possibly ever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pbta seems to boil down to, "Griffin decides the result in advance, players say action, thing Griffin decided happens regardless of roll", with minor changable elements that don't matter in the long run, like a Bioware RPG

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1139608235751682048

Tonight's live show is a new story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

did they skip G???

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just the impression I get that they seem to enjoy the system. I could be completely wrong of course.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How are their numbers? Have they retained viewers?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Pbta seems to boil down to, "Griffin decides the result in advance, players say action, thing Griffin decided happens regardless of roll", with minor changable elements that don't matter in the long run, like a Bioware RPG

That's not pbta, though, that's the nature of Griffin not knowing how to gm well/them focusing on prescripted narrative over actually playing to find out what happens. It really sucks that a lot of people are going to get introduced to tabletop through TAZ and have all these bad habits and concepts ingrained in them from the get go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yes, griffin is a bad GM, we've covered this many times

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wasabi the J posted:

I think duck is going to get some powers back being so close to Minerva and stepping up as a leader.

Yeah I think that was clear after the episode two weeks ago where he got his “ignore two harm” ability back when Minerva returned.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

How are their numbers? Have they retained viewers?

IIRC they basically said (in a TTAZZ I think?) that no, they haven't.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Yeah, TAZ Season 1 had a very specific tone and presentation Season 2 doesn't replicate. The closest the two match up was the very polarizing Stolen Century.

Im genuinely curious about the alternate universe where they changed systems but kept the high-fantasy adventuring by playing Dungeon World.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i also suspect that returning to 5e/D&D would not be a politically popular choice, considering the abusers and enablers involved in its development who continue to profit from that game's success.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I read every "Griffin is a bad DM" post with an additional silent "unlike ME"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't one of them do the official D&D stream now?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doesn't one of them do the official D&D stream now?
i do know that mike mearls showed up at E3 to help promote baldurs gate 3 and was on stage at the PC Gaming Show conference

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Griffin has bad habits just like every DM in existence. I don't really mind it; I find it to be an unspoken given for every campaign in tabletop history. Hell, I just listened to the 3rd/4th arc of Balance again, the bank tower climb. The elevator shaft in particular was a mess, pacing-wise, and it gave me flashbacks to plenty of groups I'd played with in the past. It happens. Often.

I guess I'd say yall have to see TAZ in the right lens: yes, they are trying to play a tabletop RPG. But they are also attempting to make good radio at the same time. In the pursuit of the latter they're at times ignoring a lot of the former. At its worst TAZ is a radio drama with rpg paint on it. And hey, that's okay. I haven't minded too much.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the problem with going back to dnd would mean clint goes back to being bad at the game

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

El Jeffe posted:

IIRC they basically said (in a TTAZZ I think?) that no, they haven't.

Have they really said that viewership is down? That's interesting, I feel like this arc has been like, hypertargeted at the exact crowd that made TAZ so popular and the parts of this thread that aren't massive fans (myself included) were just grumpy outliers.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Raserys posted:

the problem with going back to dnd would mean clint goes back to being bad at the game

That's not a problem, that's a feature

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This arc is targeted at people who want to feel emotions. I don't want to feel anything.

Hello goons.txt Twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
D&D just doesn't seem conducive to what they're trying to do. I don't think they care about their viewership numbers. There are so many D&D podcasts too, I am listening for the boys rather than the system.