Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the Green party's environmental platform is worse than the NDP's so it makes zero sense unless you think flu vaccines can melt steel beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

quote:

Just not in Canada.

That’s why Andrew Scheer has come up with a six-point action plan that will strike down the barriers Justin Trudeau has created, and get pipelines built:

Cancel the carbon tax
Repeal Bill C-69, the No-More-Pipelines Bill
End the B.C. shipping ban
Establish timelines for approvals
Eliminate foreign interference in the approvals process
Invoke federal jurisdiction when necessary

lol cant wait to see what these idiots have to protect the environment

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
They will pass a bill called something like "Canada Greenery Initiative" that will actually just allow logging companies to do whatever the gently caress they want whenever they want, but at the same time national park access fees will be waived.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/NoNameBrands/status/1138542487872688128?s=19 lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:eyepop: that tweet also works in french

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Tow any leaking vessels outside of the enviroment.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Powershift posted:

Tow any leaking vessels outside of the enviroment.

The environment is now legally defined as an ongoing oil spill.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tweak carbon accounting so it doesn't include our pollution, than claim to have lowered emissions

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
We already tweak our GHG inventory by excluding all international freight.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Make it illegal to take the temperature of things

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/communixplot/status/1139612427975352322?s=21

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Make it illegal to take the temperature of things

Harper already did that.

McGavin posted:

The environment is now legally defined as an ongoing oil spill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

liked and subscribed

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Only in cspam does CPC stand for Communist and not Conservative.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

why would they bother doing that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also i'm not sure what scheer thinks he can do given that trudeau has been laser-focused on pipelines and nothing else for years

we don't need more loving pipelines, pipes are not the issue here

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yinlock posted:

also i'm not sure what scheer thinks he can do given that trudeau has been laser-focused on pipelines and nothing else for years

It's never been about the pipelines, it's about the idea of pipelines mannnnn.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

What is this? I love it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

as always, the pipelines are more symbolic of commitment to an issue than they are real

it's like how politicians fall all over themselves to see who can be most supportive of israel

by fighting over who loves pipelines the most, the politicians are showing their commitment to the oil and gas sector

this is also why we have to fight to make sure there are no new pipelines ever, to show that the oil and gas sector is cancelled

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lol that CSIS just destroyed all the proof that JT is Castro's son.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Margaret Sinclair?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yellow vests and religious bigots tried to overrun Hamilton Pride today: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-pride-festival-altercation-police-1.5177439

Of course, what's left out is that the police didn't do anything to stop them and it was only a bunch of anarchists running defense that prevented the protestors from charging into the actual event. (Hamilton police were making it clear that they were not happy they were excluded from Pride. Because of poo poo like this!) There were protestors last year, but the yellow vests got actually violent.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not being welcome to march in the uniforms of the group who made pride necessary DEFINITELY means you shouldn't do your jobs, out here in wacky bullshit land

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Not being welcome to march in the uniforms of the group who made pride necessary DEFINITELY means you shouldn't do your jobs, out here in wacky bullshit land

Hamilton Pride doesn't even have a loving march any more because of poo poo like this. It's terrible.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder to donate to the Tower. They have regular LGBT meetups and self defense classes!

xtal has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Jun 16, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What idiot called it "boyfriend" instead of "restricted pal"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm going to be in Nova Scotia and PEI next week. I don't want to meet any of you but I want to know what the good breweries and restaurants are, and I'm curious if Nova Scotia wine is drinkable

I have only had the wines from Grand Pre and, its its own thing. Not terrible but not something I'd seek out again.

Of course I am currently in the Okanagan so bias is me

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

Yellow vests and religious bigots tried to overrun Hamilton Pride today: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-pride-festival-altercation-police-1.5177439

Of course, what's left out is that the police didn't do anything to stop them and it was only a bunch of anarchists running defense that prevented the protestors from charging into the actual event. (Hamilton police were making it clear that they were not happy they were excluded from Pride. Because of poo poo like this!) There were protestors last year, but the yellow vests got actually violent.

loving yellow vests pieces of poo poo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Arivia posted:

It's cool that police get to be vindictive bitch babies and people will say "see this is why we need to have the vindictive bitch babies be allowed to play dress up at our party"

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

People really need to stop calling them Yellow Vest protesters. They have no ideological overlap with the France protestors. The "yellow vests" of Canada are far-right nationalists that are wearing yellow vests. I've even seen leftists describe them solely as yellow vest protesters. That's so god drat stupid and confusing. Call them nationalists or chuds or something better.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

CBC: "Hello Adolf FLitzer, Today you are here at parliament hill calling for the torture and death of indigenous Canadians. Interesting. Are you a part of a Nazi movement?"
Adolf Flitzer: "No, we are not Nazis. We are the Blue Jean movement. Because we are wearing blue jeans and we believe in the cause of the people who wear blue jeans. Please do not call us Nazis, as that is not what we are"
CBC: "Sorry, best wishes to the Blue Jeans!"

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
but maybe if we keep calling them yellow vests the lexicon will change to mean Nazis

makes you think

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kindest Forums User posted:

People really need to stop calling them Yellow Vest protesters. They have no ideological overlap with the France protestors. The "yellow vests" of Canada are far-right nationalists that are wearing yellow vests. I've even seen leftists describe them solely as yellow vest protesters. That's so god drat stupid and confusing. Call them nationalists or chuds or something better.

fascists seem completely incapable of coming up with anything original so they just cargo cult things they see on TV or other media

this is why they wear yellow vests, this is why non-americans wear MAGA hats, this is why they can't even come up with their own slogans and why their attempts at humour all involve punching down on the weak

some day someone is going to dissect their brains and find that there's a specific personality type or brain disorder that causes people to be chuds and that it characteristically comes with a lack of creativity and inability to understand things beyond a cursory surface analysis

anecdotally there was a guy I knew in high school who was essentially incapable of communicating except in internet catchphrases. this was like in 2002 so like really early crusty internet catchphrases like "you suck at the internet" and "wow you lose." he started to get really gross with anti-trans bullshit so I cut off any contact with him. I saw him comment on another old friend's facebook status a year ago so I checked to see what he's like now and he's now a prison guard who cosplays as judge dredd with his prison guard coworkers, which seems to miss the point of judge dredd but whatever

stuff like this leads me to believe that there has to be some kind of specific brain configuration that leads people to be fascists but I'm not a neuroscientist so all I have is anecdotes

edit: like it's really dangerous to say "they disagree with me so they're obviously stupid" but I feel like it's pretty demonstrable from the cargo culting that there's some kind of lack of creativity and in-depth analysis present

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jun 16, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kindest Forums User posted:

aren't the french yellow vests also right wing?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

BattleMaster posted:

fascists seem completely incapable of coming up with anything original so they just cargo cult things they see on TV or other media

this is why they wear yellow vests, this is why non-americans wear MAGA hats, this is why they can't even come up with their own slogans and why their attempts at humour all involve punching down on the weak

some day someone is going to dissect their brains and find that there's a specific personality type or brain disorder that causes people to be chuds and that it characteristically comes with a lack of creativity and inability to understand things beyond a cursory surface analysis

anecdotally there was a guy I knew in high school who was essentially incapable of communicating except in internet catchphrases. this was like in 2002 so like really early crusty internet catchphrases like "you suck at the internet" and "wow you lose." he started to get really gross with anti-trans bullshit so I cut off any contact with him. I saw him comment on another old friend's facebook status a year ago so I checked to see what he's like now and he's now a prison guard who cosplays as judge dredd with his prison guard coworkers, which seems to miss the point of judge dredd but whatever

stuff like this leads me to believe that there has to be some kind of specific brain configuration that leads people to be fascists but I'm not a neuroscientist so all I have is anecdotes

edit: like it's really dangerous to say "they disagree with me so they're obviously stupid" but I feel like it's pretty demonstrable from the cargo culting that there's some kind of lack of creativity and in-depth analysis present

While it is not without its flaws Corey Robbin's "The Reactionary Mind" argues that conservatism is inherently reactionary and therefore is constantly harvesting ideas and tactics first developed on the left and re-purposes them to defend entrenched hierarchies of privilege.

I think Robbin has to stretch his analysis to make it fit at times and I think there are more convincing arguments about, say, the origins of fascism (i.e. the argument that many of the essential elements of fascism are imperial governing techniques that had first been applied to colonial populations, rather than being something borrowed from the left). Still, it's a quick and easy read and I think it does provide some useful insights on the contemporary conservative mindset even if the author's reach occasionally exceeds his grasp.

zapplez posted:

aren't the french yellow vests also right wing?

I haven't closely followed them so don't take my word here as gospel, but from what I've read and heard they're a mishmash of different tendencies and ideologies, primarily from rural and lower income backgrounds, who are broadly anti-liberal on economic issues (in the European sense of the term liberal). According to one poll in the 2017 election 36% of the yellow vest movement voted for Le Pen and 28% for Melenchon. A lot of their demands revolve around reversing austerity and Macron being a "President for the rich" and part of their opposition to the fuel tax was the perception that it was being used to pay for corporate and income tax cuts.

Overall I think the Yellow Vests are more of a marker of the breakdown of the liberal consensus in Europe. People are grasping around for pre-existing political lexicons to make sense of these developments which results in a lot of these movements combining aspects of the left and right.

That's how you end up with weird situations where on the one hand an anti-immigrant hardliner like Italy's interior minister Matteo Salvini could endorse and actually meet with French yellow vest protesters, and yet at the same time there are protests against Salvini's new anti-immigrant bill in Italy who donned yellow vests to protest. While the symbol has only really been seized on by the right here in Canada I think that in Europe the symbolism is less fixed and is more of an expression of anti-establishment sentiments rather than a coherent declaration of strong right or left wing beliefs.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Bilirubin posted:

I have only had the wines from Grand Pre and, its its own thing. Not terrible but not something I'd seek out again.

Of course I am currently in the Okanagan so bias is me

Had lunch at Lightfoot & Wolfville vineyard today and I don't think I've ever wanted to tell a wine to just chill the gently caress out more than this tidal bay blend.

This place totally needs like 10-15 years to mature before the wine could be considered good imo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Had lunch at Lightfoot & Wolfville vineyard today and I don't think I've ever wanted to tell a wine to just chill the gently caress out more than this tidal bay blend.

This place totally needs like 10-15 years to mature before the wine could be considered good imo.

good news, Taylor Swift now has a song for that. just pump it at the vines to make them better.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
seems like ndp are going to be campaigning on a 1% wealth tax on people with over 20 mil in assets

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sounds about right. As I recall they have some peculiar grape varietals as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Helsing posted:

While it is not without its flaws Corey Robbin's "The Reactionary Mind" argues that conservatism is inherently reactionary and therefore is constantly harvesting ideas and tactics first developed on the left and re-purposes them to defend entrenched hierarchies of privilege.

I think Robbin has to stretch his analysis to make it fit at times and I think there are more convincing arguments about, say, the origins of fascism (i.e. the argument that many of the essential elements of fascism are imperial governing techniques that had first been applied to colonial populations, rather than being something borrowed from the left). Still, it's a quick and easy read and I think it does provide some useful insights on the contemporary conservative mindset even if the author's reach occasionally exceeds his grasp.

Thank you very much; this looks great. I grabbed the epub version and threw it on my tablet for some transit/late night reading. I have some hunches from patterns I've observed but I don't really have any qualifications so it will be nice to read something more official