Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That’s what, a $25k upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
One of our airplanes has dual G5s, a Garmin 650 and 750, all the engine gauges replaced with digital stuff, and an autopilot whose model name I can’t remember. It’s a GFC500 or something, I dunno.

There are so many gremlins in that airplane. Last time I flew it, we figured out in cruise that turning the pitot heat on would consistently disconnect the autopilot. That was a change from my flight in it the previous night, when that... didn’t happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a patagonian cavy posted:

One of our airplanes has dual G5s, a Garmin 650 and 750, all the engine gauges replaced with digital stuff, and an autopilot whose model name I can’t remember. It’s a GFC500 or something, I dunno.

There are so many gremlins in that airplane. Last time I flew it, we figured out in cruise that turning the pitot heat on would consistently disconnect the autopilot. That was a change from my flight in it the previous night, when that... didn’t happen.

If it's anything like our fleet, the problems are caused less by any flaws in the technology or the airplane itself, and more by AMEs that believe the sun shines out their rear end and refuse to consider they may have ever made a single mistake in their lives.

If I see "ground checked; no fault" in the journey log one more goddamn time, I shall become a raving lunatic. Instead of trying to justify the idea that there is no problem, why not try as hard as possible to find the problem, and then fix it? You're getting paid, after all.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Captain Apollo posted:

I am thinking about doing dual G5’s and a 430w in my Cherokee for ads-b compliance (330es exists already)

On the other hand. I am going to be flying cross countries a lot more often than I already do and am thinking Bonanza......

Jealous Cow posted:

That’s what, a $25k upgrade?

6k for 430w.....
5k for g5......

I’m hoping for 15k fully installed but who know anymore.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

If it's anything like our fleet, the problems are caused less by any flaws in the technology or the airplane itself, and more by AMEs that believe the sun shines out their rear end and refuse to consider they may have ever made a single mistake in their lives.

If I see "ground checked; no fault" in the journey log one more goddamn time, I shall become a raving lunatic. Instead of trying to justify the idea that there is no problem, why not try as hard as possible to find the problem, and then fix it? You're getting paid, after all.

Intermittent problems are absolutely the loving worst to troubleshoot and fix, because more often than not, maintenance isn't going to be able to reproduce the fault. I can't fix what isn't broken, and 99% of the time, even a detailed visual inspection (which often requires significant work and airframe down-time to accomplish) of the system isn't going to identify the fault.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Intermittent problems are absolutely the loving worst to troubleshoot and fix, because more often than not, maintenance isn't going to be able to reproduce the fault. I can't fix what isn't broken, and 99% of the time, even a detailed visual inspection (which often requires significant work and airframe down-time to accomplish) of the system isn't going to identify the fault.

True, but if the problem is repeatedly and (reasonably) reliably triggering in flight, it still needs to be fixed and a ground check ain't gonna do poo poo.

Similarly, if we have 12 172s in the fleet, and two of them require consistent and insane amounts of right rudder throughout flight, the correct answer is not "well, maybe you don't know how to fly well."

Still, pilots bear some responsibility too. We have one aircraft that has had occasional problems with the alternator breaker popping out (but always being able to be reset) and that needs to stop turning into complete electrical failure in flight because the breakers and the ammeter should be part of regular pre-takeoff and cruise checks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

PT6A posted:

I love our 430w, dual-G5-equipped C172, it's a pretty loving sweet ride.

The similarly-equipped plane with a GTN650 in place of the 430 is pretty good too, but whoever thought touchscreens were a good idea for bugsmashers permanently stuck in turbulence needs to be caned. The interface is so, so great when you're on the ground, and then it's poo poo when you're actually flying and attempting to use the goddamn thing on anything other than the perfect early morning flight with no weather. Either you need a handle-type thing sticking out to steady your wrist on, or knobs.

It's really is remarkable how quickly the 650 goes from "this is amazing" to "this is the worst" for simple common tasks. God help you if when you have to use that keyboard in the air.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Another dumb question from someone who has never flown anything bigger than a C-182, if you don't mind.

How do those of you who fly big planes pre-flight? Do you actually walk around the aircraft, or is that something a mechanic does?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We upgraded our airplane (Tiger) from an 80's IFR stack (working ADF!) to Dual G5's, a 650 and a 345 this year. It's pretty sweet. Biggest complaint about the 650 is the map declutter isn't granular in the right ways, it seems inferior to the 430 in that regard. Also not having the NAV frequencies on screen at all times is a bit lame. Garmin are also jackals and require a subscription to Garmin Pilot to do database updates over wifi from an ipad.

I'm a few lessons into IFR training and this setup makes it feel like I'm cheating somehow, the HSI alone is great.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 13, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

6k for 430w.....
5k for g5......

I’m hoping for 15k fully installed but who know anymore.

I thought each g5 was $5k.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

As far as we can tell, it's a grounding/stray current issue which has been a problem ever since the airplane got its upgrades- you can't put low 6 figures into a 172's avionics package and expect everything to work together the first, second, or third time.

I pulled the A/P breaker in flight when it gave me an uncommanded hard turn off a localizer with no obvious reason to do so- no CDI deflection, no passing a fix, no A/P horizontal guidance source change. It just wigged out. We don't have an avionics shop onsite so they banded the breaker, placarded INOP, and it's staying that way for awhile while it thinks about what it's done.

And the lifehack for using the 650/750 keyboards in flight is bracing your hand on the edge of the panel while you type with your thumb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sanchez posted:

We upgraded our airplane (Tiger) from an 80's IFR stack (working ADF!) to Dual G5's, a 650 and a 345 this year. It's pretty sweet. Biggest complaint about the 650 is the map declutter isn't granular in the right ways, it seems inferior to the 430 in that regard. Also not having the NAV frequencies on screen at all times is a bit lame. Garmin are also jackals and require a subscription to Garmin Pilot to do database updates over wifi from an ipad.

I'm a few lessons into IFR training and this setup makes it feel like I'm cheating somehow, the HSI alone is great.

Gotta have a working ADF!

All our ILS missed approaches are still built around loving NDBs, so without a TC-approved GNSS overlay on the approach, you legally speaking need to have a serviceable ADF to fly the approach. And unless you want to install two IFR-approved GPSs, you need to be able to continue to your destination and fly an approach in the event of the failure of any single piece of navigation equipment, so you'll definitely want to be able to fly NDB and ILS approaches to fulfil that legal requirement.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
The Garmin 750 is one of the most obscene displays of form over function I've ever encountered. After some experience with the 430 and it's very sensible row of hard buttons for quick and common functions, I got into a plane with the 750 and, lo and behold, the same functions are still needed in an aviation GPS unit. But are the same hard buttons there? No, they're all gone. So, for each of those functions, now you have to do TWO things, press the "home screen" button and then the actual function soft button. Por que? Why possibly cripple the interface like that? So it looks all sleek like a loving Ipad :rolleyes: :suicide:

Because some stupid rear end in a top hat at the head of a UI design committee was jacking off into his turtleneck and glasses that week, now pilots of those planes have to deal with this poo poo for decades to come.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 13, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vessbot posted:

The Garmin 750 is one of the most obscene displays of form over function I've ever encountered. After some experience with the 430 and it's very sensible row of hard buttons for quick and common functions, I got into a plane with the 750 and, lo and behold, the same functions are still needed in an aviation GPS unit. But are the same hard buttons there? No, they're all gone. So, for each of those functions, now you have to do TWO things, press the "home screen" button and then the actual function soft button. Por que? Why possibly cripple the interface like that? So it looks all sleek like a loving Ipad :rolleyes: :suicide:

Because some stupid rear end in a top hat at the head of a UI design committee was jacking off into his turtleneck and glasses that week, now pilots of those planes have to deal with this poo poo for decades to come.

It is known.

Speaking as a one-time software developer and current pilot, I think the reason they keep loving this up is UI design for aircraft is very different from anything else developers will have experience designing. The design for something like a GPS should be predictable and consistent, but you want to expose the full feature-set to be easy to use with training, not "intuitive" in the sense that you should be able to use it without training.

Ease of use is a priority over ease of learning, and that's a thing only a select few developers will have experience with.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

I’ve got hundreds of hours behind 650s/750s they’re not too bad once you get used to them and have a lot more features than the 430/530 family. And it could be worse, they could be as bad to use as a garmin cycling computer UI.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

e.pilot posted:

And it could be worse, they could be as bad to use as a garmin cycling computer UI.

:hmmyes:

waiting for the elemnt soar to come save us

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Cessna posted:

Another dumb question from someone who has never flown anything bigger than a C-182, if you don't mind.

How do those of you who fly big planes pre-flight? Do you actually walk around the aircraft, or is that something a mechanic does?

Yes we still do walk arounds. We don't do the nitty gritty GA stuff, we don't check oil and don't sump fuel. It's more of a general condition inspection. How are the tires and brakes? How are the fan blades in the engine? Did we hit any birds? Any obvious dents in the airplane that don't belong? Cracked lenses. Things of that nature.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

e.pilot posted:

I’ve got hundreds of hours behind 650s/750s they’re not too bad once you get used to them and have a lot more features than the 430/530 family. And it could be worse, they could be as bad to use as a garmin cycling computer UI.

Well, obviously they're a lot more advanced and with many more features. My complaint is just with this one, uhh, "feature."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vessbot posted:

Well, obviously they're a lot more advanced and with many more features. My complaint is just with this one, uhh, "feature."

I think part of it is being familiar with the 430 and unfamiliar with the 650. I encountered this the first time I tried to do a hold with the 650. I was trying to figure out how to do the equivalent of hitting the OBS button and moving the OBS, when naturally the answer with the 650 is to select the waypoint, tell it you'd quite like to do a hold, and have it figure out the entry and the hold itself :v:

The features don't map one-to-one and if something seems hosed on the 650, there's a significant chance you're overlooking the 650-ish way of doing it.

See also: "oh my god, how do I switch this to VLOC, this is a pain in the rear end, good thing I have NAV2 set as a backup in case I have to use it..."

* switches automatically upon capturing the localizer *

"Oh, that was easy."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jealous Cow posted:

I thought each g5 was $5k.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570665

2500 for one.............

I'm really not sure what to do. Bonanza or upgraded cherokee.......

I am going to be commuting to work once a week and it's 183NM. Cherokee does it in 2 hours reliably....Bonanza...1hr 5mins....

I love bonanzas......more than mooneys.....

edit: Also - 6000 for a drat 430..... but I hate the 650/750 series for all of the issues mentioned above......What I really want is an IFR440 from Avidyne. Pure sex.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 14, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

I am going to be commuting to work once a week and it's 183NM. Cherokee does it in 2 hours reliably....Bonanza...1hr 5mins....

edit: Also - 6000 for a drat 430..... but I hate the 650/750 series for all of the issues mentioned above......What I really want is an IFR440 from Avidyne. Pure sex.

Time is money, friend. You know what you must do.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

I just pulled out a pair of 430s (non-waas) and a gtx-327 and installed a pair of 440s and an L3 NGT-9000. The 440s are drop-in replacements for 430s, no wiring changes required at all; they even use the same racks. The big, solid buttons are nice, but there are non-obvious things about the UI on that unit, too. On the garmin units, you can just tweedle the knob to get to satellite status. On the avidyne, you've gotta click the aux key, then click over to the status page, then you have to touch the button that says "software status" until it says "system status" then scroll down to see your satellites. Everything else was hard button presses, so I didn't even think that the box that said "software status" was an actual soft button, just an information window.

Also, the NGT-9000 is a very, very L3 product. They won't give you the time of day unless you're a government contract, and everything is done in a very specific L3 way. It requires its own GPS antenna, for no appreciable reason, especially because it's still getting GPS information from the navigators. It also wants sole control of the skywatch and stormscope. Also, configuration is only done on a laptop with a USB cable; nothing can be inputted into the front panel for configuration at all.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

I have a bit of time in both. The Cherokee is a nice trainer aircraft. The Bonanza is a more serious vehicle for transportation. It feels more like a "big boy airplane". If you will be instructing in your own airplane, I would stick to the Cherokee. If not, I'd get the Bonanza if you can afford to buy and operate it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is the 750 the touchscreen one? Our now former CFII just had one installed in the jet she flies and, after she showed me the simulator on her iPad, I'm envious every time I hop in the Redbird or work with our PCATDs and the motherfucking knob on the 430 is way too sensitive.

When I have a group of teachers trying to figure out basic navigation on a PCATD during a seminar and want the map screen for their geographical situational awareness, I REALLY DON'T GIVE A gently caress ABOUT THE NEAREST AIRPORT OR NAVAID OR TERRAIN, BUT THANKS ANYWAY. :ramsay:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is the 750 the touchscreen one? Our now former CFII just had one installed in the jet she flies and, after she showed me the simulator on her iPad, I'm envious every time I hop in the Redbird or work with our PCATDs and the motherfucking knob on the 430 is way too sensitive.

Yeah, the 650/750 are the touchscreen ones with iPad simulators. They're wonderful on the ground and in the sim for the most part, but less so when you're trying to do something in turbulence. And, I mean, as much as I bitch about them, they're still extremely good overall. It's a tradeoff. In still air, the letter-entry system (for example) is a huge advancement over the 430, but in turbulence I just want the knob.

Aviation Megathread v10 | I just want the knob

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 14, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rickety Cricket posted:

Yes we still do walk arounds. We don't do the nitty gritty GA stuff, we don't check oil and don't sump fuel. It's more of a general condition inspection. How are the tires and brakes? How are the fan blades in the engine? Did we hit any birds? Any obvious dents in the airplane that don't belong? Cracked lenses. Things of that nature.

Thanks for the answer, that's good to hear. I don't recall seeing a pilot getting out and walking around an aircraft while waiting for a flight, let alone trying to move the rudder to check the hinges like you would in a C-182, but I'm glad you still do it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Our policy is for the first officer to do a walk around before the first flight in a given airplane, with the captain then doing a walk around after each flight, so passengers typically don't stick around long enough to see me do that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It...uh...appears I'm being offered a job with our college's flight training vendor (141 with 61 flying, too) as their part-time flight training manager.

The apparent scenario basically involves the company owner and my current boss surprisingly in partial agreement I could essentially be "traded" (term used loosely) for the greater good to smooth another transition within the flight school, but I'd be adding TCO updates/compliance, instructor/flight scheduling, student progress reporting to the college, general "are the students and CFIs happy here?", and FAA stuff to my current roles of marketing, enrollment, and new student recruiting. It appears I'd have massive bargaining power in terms of a salary, flexible schedule and the possibility of working from home (my primary gig is property management, this allows me to play with airplanes and get paid to do so), and other benefits like aircraft rental, but there's a reason this position is about to have a vacancy. (Again.)

I had a feeling this might've been coming, but this is not the package I was expecting to be dropped on my lap. (There's a massive clusterfuck of a backstory I won't go into here.) Fortunately, I've become friends with a chunk of the CFI staff. I'm still digesting this and the rumor is if my predecessor's application to work elsewhere gets approved that I'll be getting a call soon. Should I be excited or horrified?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 15, 2019

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Depends on how well you get along with others and how much they’ll respect you for scheduling people in unfavorable slots.

I was an Assistant Chief for a while. My Chief was there for 10 years and was an ex-military sergeant who cared more about the mission than being best friends with the instructors. That man was amazing to work for. Always had my back.

He retired and his replacement had a secret affair and baby with the Admin Assistant and gave out favorable schedules and airplanes to his best friends (read: not the good people).

Read: it’s the people, stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You can't keep everyone happy all the time, but you can and should try to make everyone happy some of the time, on a roughly equal basis.

I have no problem with eating the occasional poo poo sandwich, it's only going to really piss me off when I feel like I'm getting singled out to do it over and over again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fortunately, I've never heard any complaints about how the scheduling system at the flight school works, and it seems most everyone is fine with how things are done. I would be inheriting the fairly easy to use, intuitive scheduling model.

The main issue most instructors have is with the college's full-time coordinator, who is almost universally hated.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
So Jezebel just posted about a conspiracy theory that Paula Abdul was in a plane crash that she talks about, but either never happened or was covered up.

I tried poking around in the FAA database but the search criteria don't seem to make it easy to find a forced landing in any of a few states in any of a few years.

How likely is it that a plane could make a forced landing with injuries and not end up in the database?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

NightGyr posted:

So Jezebel just posted about a conspiracy theory that Paula Abdul was in a plane crash that she talks about, but either never happened or was covered up.

I tried poking around in the FAA database but the search criteria don't seem to make it easy to find a forced landing in any of a few states in any of a few years.

How likely is it that a plane could make a forced landing with injuries and not end up in the database?

Off airport landing in the middle of nowhere. Where nobody saw anything and in a day and time where sms messages are severely limited? Nobody is trying to be an instagram star who gets the first post?

The idea is very plausible to me.

Just have a mechanic go out to the field. Take off the wings. Cover it in tarp. Old it into an 18 wheeler. Wait for the N number to dereigster. Scrap it all.

Done.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sorry double post. I was trying to edit :(

IN OTHER NEWS I found an S35 Binanza in my hometown I want to purchase.

Bad news? There is no longer a source for the Magnesium Ruddervators that Beech uses for the VTails.

Aluminum is too heavy and causes aerodynamic flutter. I might have to focus on getting a Debonair (c33) or a one with more tail feathers f33.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 15, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
[airlinerant=regional]
If you ever want to make a lot of pilots very angry tell them that pay raises and QOL increases were approved and awaiting final language but then the parent company stepped in a killed the deal a few hours before it was supposed to be made public. They'll get really pissed off in a big hurry.
[/airlinerant]

NightGyr posted:

After reading the article her story seems to change every time she tells it. It's entirely possible that it never happened or that she's embellishing the details and it was more of an incident than a crash. If no one was seriously hurt and the aircraft not seriously damaged then it's what the FAA deems an "incident."

Captain Apollo posted:

IN OTHER NEWS I found an S35 Binanza in my hometown I want to purchase.

That's probably a typo but I really like the idea of a couple of guys at Beechcraft looking into the leftover parts bin thinking "yeah, we can make one more out of all that."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

KodiakRS posted:

That's probably a typo but I really like the idea of a couple of guys at Beechcraft looking into the leftover parts bin thinking "yeah, we can make one more out of all that."

http://www.csobeech.com

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Aviation Megathread v10 | I just want the knob

That's what she said.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Also I can't believe NO ONE mentioned the United 757.

I left EWR right before it happened and came back when 22L was still closed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"United doesn't just break guitars. Now we break passengers, dogs, and Boeing 757's too!"

Given the amount of damage shown in the photos that have shown up online, and the fact that the airplane is 20some years old, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being scrapped at the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

"United doesn't just break guitars. Now we break passengers, dogs, and Boeing 757's too!"

Given the amount of damage shown in the photos that have shown up online, and the fact that the airplane is 20some years old, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being scrapped at the end of this.

Did they actually kill a dog or just ship one to Japan instead of Newark?

And yeah, that airplane is about to become the newark fire departments new CFR simulator.