Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-3-2-beta-patch-released-checksum-8614.1190132/

New beta patch. The AI's propensity for forward settling has been unhappily gimped.

Just reading through this as well - lots of nice bug fixes for my next game. I like them scaling back the distance AI empires are willing to expand, the way it was before led to a colossal mess and some very bizarre decisions. I'd like to thank that one empire, who's name I've since forgotten, for volunteering to be my next vassal after that stunt with the L-gate though. Made my decision a lot easier.

No word on a fix for caravans parking themselves in orbit though. Hope that was just a one off thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

The limiting factor in the game is influence. I can't make claims without the influence and if you take MTS immediately (or within the first few months) and you are only getting 3 influence per month, then you can't claim your first system until 2202 and the second system until late 2203/early 2204. I had taken expansion in the MTS game which moved 2nd system claim date 3 months forward, but that didn't really matter because my colony ship couldn't get to the system until 5/2204, so I could have waited the 3 extra months.

And to add to this: I'm just not convinced that the -starbase cost is necessary that early in the game to the point that you need to take it 2nd instead of either 5th in 2210 or 6th in 2212/2213.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-3-2-beta-patch-released-checksum-8614.1190132/

New beta patch. The AI's propensity for forward settling has been unhappily gimped.
For jumps was a bit much, but nerfing the jerk snipe was needed. This feels like a good compromise.

Lot of other good stuff, thank you for the terraforming thing DR I feel validated as a human being.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Darkrenown the GOAT

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Ah that fix for the colonised planets getting cleared off is brilliant, I'd just noticed that in my newest game.
What was weird is that you could re-locate people to those planets even though they were empty.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TMMadman posted:

Why would you build the colony ship in 2001 when you can't even claim your first system after taking MTS until 11.2201 (and actually that should either 01/2202 or 02/2202 because my leader randomly had a -edict cost, so MTS only cost 90 influence rather than 100).
Because colony ships have a 360-day build time. If you start the colony ship in 6/2201 it will finish in 6/2202, 4 months after you can claim your first system. If you don't have a habitable planet one jump away you can just not use MTS, like I said.

quote:

And I couldn't even get to the first planet system and claim it until 9/2203? At least in the MTS game?

Sure, I could have pushed out my colony ship in the non MTS game earlier, but even then it wasn't done claiming the planet system until 10/2202 and the colony ship would take 270 days to reach the system anyway.

If the colony ship would take 270 days to travel to the planet you want to colonize, you should start building the ship 630 days (21 months) before the outpost finishes. Since you finished claiming the system in 10/2202 ideally you would have started building the colony ship in 1/2201 (probably doable if building a foundry asap and buying alloys from the market, or if you don't build a second science ship).

quote:

And the reasons for claiming the system in the non-MTS game are obvious because it's the fact that I have the extra influence from not spending it on MTS.

Did you have the alloys for both the colony ship and the outpost? The colony ship has a much longer build time and also has to travel, so you should start building it first.

TMMadman posted:

And to add to this: I'm just not convinced that the -starbase cost is necessary that early in the game to the point that you need to take it 2nd instead of either 5th in 2210 or 6th in 2212/2213.

I'd like to note that I'm not convinced the +anomaly speed and +survey speed/disengage chance is necessary that early in the game that you need to take them 1st and 2nd istead of 31st and 32nd in 2400 (or whenever it is you have the spare unity while running whatever ambitions are useful to you). There are certainly arguments to be made for skipping the discount in favor of e.g. a faster transition to supremacy or taking the prosperity in opener, but comparing it to flushing unity down the toilet by taking two of the worst traditions in the game isn't a super useful analysis.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TMMadman posted:

There's no real bias here though. My first moves in both games is a beeline directly to a system that has a habitable planet (and my choice there btw was completely random in the first game. I was simply moving my science ship towards a choke point.

Not bias in the popular sense of "you're deliberately in favour of one", bias in the statistical sense of (something akin to) "a systematic error that affects the result".

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

double nine posted:

after not playing for ... 2 years, I'm trying to jump back in. What err... how do I do planets?

So, as you can see tiles are dead. You now have districts, buildings and pops.

Districts provide jobs and housing, with resource districts providing a couple jobs and a little housing, and cities provide few jobs yet lots of housing.

Buildings become available as your population grows, and generally provide jobs that give a wide variety of things, including advanced resources, research, etc.

So, basic rule of thumb: keep the planets open on the overview, slap down improvements only when "we have unemployment" (red suitcase) or "we have overpopulation" (yellow silhouettes of people) icons appear. This will ensure your improvements won't sit uselessly empty for decades.

Prioritize poo poo that makes your pop grow faster (I like to lead with robot factories, then gene clinics.), then whatever you need in terms of resources. Play "whack a suitcase" in this manner for the whole game. Keep your dudes housed and employed and poo poo will generally go smooth. Pay attention to crime and amenities on the planet, they rarely become a problem, but when they do, they can become quite the problem, though usually those problems are caused by loving up the housing and employment basics.

The new system also fundamentally changed must pick traits. Pops grow one at a time on planets, cycling between member species of the empire, robots grow concurrently with biologicals, and all planets grow concurrently. Therefore, speccing your empire with some combination of growing as fast as possible on as many planets as possible and attracting as much migration as possible so you can ramp up your economy as soon as possible is the meta. The natural goon pick is rapid-breeding xenophiles, Xeno-Compatibility ascension perk for interracial space orgies.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 14, 2019

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Prioritize poo poo that makes your pop grow faster (I like to lead with robot factories, then gene clinics.)

Massive statistical slapfight incoming..

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Since it wasn't in the list of bug fixes, I've decided to report my weird faction vaporizing bug:

All factions suddenly gone with the wind

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

I'd like to note that I'm not convinced the +anomaly speed and +survey speed/disengage chance is necessary that early in the game that you need to take them 1st and 2nd istead of 31st and 32nd in 2400 (or whenever it is you have the spare unity while running whatever ambitions are useful to you). There are certainly arguments to be made for skipping the discount in favor of e.g. a faster transition to supremacy or taking the prosperity in opener, but comparing it to flushing unity down the toilet by taking two of the worst traditions in the game isn't a super useful analysis.
To boldly go isn't useless, I like the disengage chance as losing decent scientists and a science ship of alloys from meandering into crystals is a pain and a half. Everything else you said stands and I'd still not take it before something in the expansion tree.

Speaking of, something that's not been brought up is that I'll usually be bumping admin cap when I get my second planet so unlocking the prereq for courier network is reason enough. All to boldly go unlocks is PSC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, the L-Cluster had 16 terraformable worlds. In comparison, my empire prior had 12 worlds.

At least the Sector AI seems way more competent this time around. Build orders, smart.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

wateroverfire posted:

Massive statistical slapfight incoming..

WELL YOU SEE :words:

i actually like the clinic for the +10 amenities as well as the growth, even if the growth is lacklustre. Growth is more valuable than the +unity you'd get from the holotheatre you'd otherwise be building, especially in the early game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thanks!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Peeping those 2.3.2 patch notes...

quote:

* Added the ability to toggle Steam rich presence on or off in settings, if you don't want your friends and family to know you're extinguishing all sentient life as a race of murderous Fanatic Purifier BDSM catgirls

:captainpop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Where's the BDSM catgirl mod?

Asking for a friend.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey DarkRenown is the rare resources / industrial district tech thing a bug or a feature?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus, the L-Cluster had 16 terraformable worlds. In comparison, my empire prior had 12 worlds.

At least the Sector AI seems way more competent this time around. Build orders, smart.

Terraforming candidate is the anomaly that gets discovered if it can't find something else, so if you search heavily eventually you'll find a lot of terraforming candidates.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Barono posted:

Terraforming candidate is the anomaly that gets discovered if it can't find something else, so if you search heavily eventually you'll find a lot of terraforming candidates.

Pretty sure he was talking about nanite worlds. If the Grey Tempest spawns the L-cluster will have a bunch of terraformable nanite worlds. I've always thought there were too many of them, personally.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Staltran posted:

Pretty sure he was talking about nanite worlds. If the Grey Tempest spawns the L-cluster will have a bunch of terraformable nanite worlds. I've always thought there were too many of them, personally.

Yea I feel like maybe Egress and whatever the one the factory is called is in should have it.
However when the civ is in the L-Cluster they've got about 18 gaia worlds so I guess it fits.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Shugojin posted:

Haha, my plan to annex all of Sanctuary without directly doing it by enlightening the civ most likely to invade all the others and then integrating them worked :v:

It was looking like they wouldn't for a while there.

Congratulations on playing actual Vorlons.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Staltran posted:

It's kind of awesome to find all the grey goo planets, so I like seeing them in there. If the AI could open it more often it would make for a great place to fight over, but for the most part it is simply a bonus area for the player.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Should I be doing migration treaties with races of similar ethics?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You know this is kind of wild but I think that bumping up the amount of empires is actually really helpful for the AI; since they can't expand endlessly they're forced to focus on important things, like making their planets not lovely and their military good. The sprawl being manageable for the AI really helps them out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Should I be doing migration treaties with races of similar ethics?

IMO, always do a migration treaty if possible. They don't cost anything, they increase your pop growth rate, and with the change to planet production based upon habitability, you want to always colonize with the appropriate species, which migration treaties help with.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

binge crotching posted:

IMO, always do a migration treaty if possible. They don't cost anything, they increase your pop growth rate, and with the change to planet production based upon habitability, you want to always colonize with the appropriate species, which migration treaties help with.

:same:

I always try to grab a few other world type pops until I can cover any type at 60%+.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The change from a few patches ago that allowed you to build colony ships with another empire's pops is probably one of the best things about migration treaties. Increased growth speed from migration can be handy but being able to grab a pop you need right away will save you considerable time. You can then terminate the treaty immediately after it's built if you don't want the ethics shift that comes from it.

Is anyone who has played the latest beta patch able to confirm if the infinite army health regen bug has been fixed as well? Most of the other bugs could be played around but that one would stop you in your tracks on heavily fortified planets.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

Checking my details, I'm currently in 2323. My last election happened in 2312, and my Chosen One Shroud event occurred shortly before my election, maybe a few years before.

Oh I got the Chosen One event to fire around 2333, right after I spent 200 influence on yet another election. The good news is that my new government removed my old Inwards Perfection (I was due to start removing it anyway, even if my next target was a Militant Isolationist FE (which are easy to provoke into a war, I have a convenient pulsar system bordering us)). The bad news is that it also removed by Byzantine Bureaucracy, which I had been using to stack a ton of -housing alongside Communal. I'm going to have to spend alot of time retinkering my cities so they aren't brutally overcrowded, and it's going to cost me a ton of basic resource output.

On that note, Communal + Byzantine Bureaucracy is probably better than Agrarian Idyll, you hardly need to build any City districts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also I really like that the game figured out what I meant to be the last name of my imperial line without me telling it

e: Hot dang this is the first time since Distant Stars came out that I got the populated L-Cluster :toot:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 14, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Staltran posted:

Because colony ships have a 360-day build time. If you start the colony ship in 6/2201 it will finish in 6/2202, 4 months after you can claim your first system. If you don't have a habitable planet one jump away you can just not use MTS, like I said.

If the colony ship would take 270 days to travel to the planet you want to colonize, you should start building the ship 630 days (21 months) before the outpost finishes. Since you finished claiming the system in 10/2202 ideally you would have started building the colony ship in 1/2201 (probably doable if building a foundry asap and buying alloys from the market, or if you don't build a second science ship).

You can start building the colony ship at 1/2201 (you could do it as early as 11/2200) and the foundry at 2/2201 (that one can't be done earlier), but in order to do so you can't build the mining stations in your homeworld. And as a side effect of not taking MTS, the colony ship arrives before the system is finished surveying (I took expansion as the first tradition) that second system and the starbase doesn't finish until the middle of 11/2202, so your first colony would be done 11 or 12/2206 (as opposed to 2208 in the other tests) . But the flipside of this is that I feel like you sort of stunt yourself in terms of surveying, and I'm not sure if you have enough energy/food to sell in order to buy enough alloys to build a science ship before you start building a colony ship. However, you could almost certainly get both done if you delayed the colony ship a couple months. Also, as another side effect because this is a species/civ that doesn't have get any sort of unity bonus and I didn't build a monument, you don't get your second tradition pick until 1/2004 and then the 3rd pick comes 31 months later, which would be AFTER the colony is finished. So that means you would have to take the +1 colony pop second over the -starbase reduction cost. And as a point of order, the only reason I know how long the colony ship would take to get to the star is because I built it and noted down the length of the trip. Science and construction ships move faster.

quote:

See, but I think you think they are the worst because you literally won't pick them when they will be useful.

As a final question, what would you generally consider to be a good start by 2210, at least in terms of material stuff? How many corvettes? How many science/construction ships? Stars claimed? Upgraded starbases? Colonies? Homeworld buildings?

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 15, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a way to see the weights for stars spawning during galaxy generation?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I had a few migration treaties going and decided after a few decades to just enslave all the new aliens rolling in. You figure other empires would get mad at you for it but it doesn't seem like it.

Also the game is much better optimized except for clicking on the slave market tab. I forgot the tab even existed since I don't usually play slavers until I got notice that someone put one of my peacock people on the market and wanted to buy him back. Sorry buddy, not dealing with the game hitching like that to save your tail feathers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Is there some way to permanently turn off the "founder species is on the slave market" notification? Some notifications I think you can shift+right click them so they don't come back but that doesn't seem to work here. The spam is getting pretty bad and it's something that I don't give the slightest poo poo about.

Edit: It would be nice if the notification at least told you who is doing the slaving so you can kick their dicks in and end the spam.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 15, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TMMadman posted:

You can start building the colony ship at 1/2201 (you could do it as early as 11/2200) and the foundry at 2/2201 (that one can't be done earlier), but in order to do so you can't build the mining stations in your homeworld. And as a side effect of not taking MTS, the colony ship arrives before the system is finished surveying (I took expansion as the first tradition) that second system and the starbase doesn't finish until the middle of 11/2202, so your first colony would be done 11 or 12/2206 (as opposed to 2208 in the other tests) . But the flipside of this is that I feel like you sort of stunt yourself in terms of surveying, and I'm not sure if you have enough energy/food to sell in order to buy enough alloys to build a science ship before you start building a colony ship. However, you could almost certainly get both done if you delayed the colony ship a couple months. Also, as another side effect because this is a species/civ that doesn't have get any sort of unity bonus and I didn't build a monument, you don't get your second tradition pick until 1/2004 and then the 3rd pick comes 31 months later, which would be AFTER the colony is finished. So that means you would have to take the +1 colony pop second over the -starbase reduction cost. And as a point of order, the only reason I know how long the colony ship would take to get to the star is because I built it and noted down the length of the trip. Science and construction ships move faster.

See, but I think you think they are the worst because you literally won't pick them when they will be useful.

As a final question, what would you generally consider to be a good start by 2210, at least in terms of material stuff? How many corvettes? How many science/construction ships? Stars claimed? Upgraded starbases? Colonies? Homeworld buildings?

I think that even if you're willing to accept the penalty from opening a second tradition tree early (which admittedly isn't that serious) I think I'd still open with MTS/Exp 3 rather than Disc 2. The benefits are just too clear, and work well with what I'm actually doing when they land. MTS seeds my local space with plentiful anomalies during my initial exploration phase. Colony development pops right when I'm about to plant my first colony, starbase influence goes right when I'm going to pick up my second or third system, and bonus colony population triggers right before my initial colonies are developed.

Whereas anomaly speed is way too early (I'm not doing anomalies until I get a view of my local region, and generally wait until MTS wears off), and survey speed is nice but just not that critical. Skipping MTS means I could claim space a bit earlier, but at a higher cost and prior to when my resource production is kicking into gear.

Additionally, and perhaps most critically, starting with Disc 2 means that you may have to forgo the excellent Exp 3 benefits if you have an aggressive neighbor and have to switch to a war footing with Dom 5.

If an Ascension perk isn't that critical for you, I could certainly understand picking off Disc 2 prior to finishing Expansion, because starbase upkeep and adminstrative capacity are more midgame concerns, but frankly I'm not sold on the opportunity costs at all for those first three picks.

That being said, I'm glad that you're finding it to be an effective opener, since it means that the balance is close enough that there's some actual competition. After they changed Discovery it's just been Expansion or Domination every time for me.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 15, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If I'm in the system level view around one star and then transition directly to a second one, using the outliner, the cubemap doesn't always update. About half the time that I jump between stars the game continues to use the first star's skybox for second star. Is this something that other people have run into?

Actually going out to the galaxy map and then to the star I want does work.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so are planetary invasions just broken now or is it a mod making mischief for me? I'm invading with overwhelming force and orbital bombing and the defensive armies regen faster than I can damage them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a bug as old as time. Just keep a small fleet bombarding them forever, if I recall correctly it really fucks up their war exhaustion.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

I think that even if you're willing to accept the penalty from opening a second tradition tree early (which admittedly isn't that serious) I think I'd still open with MTS/Exp 3 rather than Disc 2. The benefits are just too clear, and work well with what I'm actually doing when they land. MTS seeds my local space with plentiful anomalies during my initial exploration phase. Colony development pops right when I'm about to plant my first colony, starbase influence goes right when I'm going to pick up my second or third system, and bonus colony population triggers right before my initial colonies are developed.

Whereas anomaly speed is way too early (I'm not doing anomalies until I get a view of my local region, and generally wait until MTS wears off), and survey speed is nice but just not that critical. Skipping MTS means I could claim space a bit earlier, but at a higher cost and prior to when my resource production is kicking into gear.

Additionally, and perhaps most critically, starting with Disc 2 means that you may have to forgo the excellent Exp 3 benefits if you have an aggressive neighbor and have to switch to a war footing with Dom 5.

If an Ascension perk isn't that critical for you, I could certainly understand picking off Disc 2 prior to finishing Expansion, because starbase upkeep and adminstrative capacity are more midgame concerns, but frankly I'm not sold on the opportunity costs at all for those first three picks.

That being said, I'm glad that you're finding it to be an effective opener, since it means that the balance is close enough that there's some actual competition. After they changed Discovery it's just been Expansion or Domination every time for me.

I think the game is pretty flexible and you have to just sort of roll with the punches because I can certainly see the effectiveness of rolling through all/most of Expansion first before moving to what you want next. That's kind of why I was trying to figure out what people thought was a good start for the first decade. Obviously some part of how you start is somewhat dependent on your starting constellation because starting in a big open one with lots of hyperlanes can make it take longer to find your opening planets or sometimes you start just a few jumps away from another civ and that may impact your opening tradition.

And the thing with taking discovery first is that you just cherry pick the anomalies. If you are rolling through a system and pop an easy anomaly that would only take less than like 100 days, then you quickly research it for the gain. Maybe you get some research points, maybe it's just a resource bonus but since it's in a system with one of your first habitable planets it helps your early economy. I'm not suggesting you research every anomaly as you come across at first.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

jokes posted:

That's a bug as old as time. Just keep a small fleet bombarding them forever, if I recall correctly it really fucks up their war exhaustion.

I just used the console to end it. get your poo poo together you dumb swedes.

edit: console switching empires and back again hosed up all my resource income. :discourse: keep up the good work.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

complaining about console commands causing bugs is next level. powerful stuff.