Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

You know they're getting close to patch time because all the poo poo is getting cut now.

Also- all of the AI tasks have now been cut from this patch, :lol:

I am the 3% of patch 3.9.0 that is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Quavers posted:

"On April 30, 2016, CIG and Amazon entered into a license agreement that granted CIG the right to use the “Lumberyard Materials” (including CryEngine version 3.6.4, which is the version of CryEngine embedded in the Game) to develop Star Citizen andSquadron 42. Declaration of Ortwin Freyermuth, ¶ 9. From this point forward, CIG had the broad rights to the game engine granted by the Amazon license and was no longer dependent upon the GLA chain of title."
Which version of CryEngine is embedded? :thunk:

Oh CIG and Amazon got together and decided between them which version of CryEngine would be ok to use?

Sure yeah that seems plausible and not at all
Like complete loving bullshit.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Tokamak posted:

I can't believe they are talking about introducing prisons and having players serve out sentences in the next few patches. This is the mechanic they are prioritising?! STOP RIGHT NOW CRIMINAL DEV

Nothing says “compelling gameplay” like involuntary constraints on player choice. Other things it says are “this is a griefer’s wet dream” and “Chris Roberts is a hack.”

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

That road map is the Citizen version and it's substantially more readable than the actual version, where stuff just disappears without any indication that it was there previously.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Yeah, highly greatful to the citizen that puts that together. Must take quite a bit of time keeping track of everything and trying to spot what CIG pulls without telling anyone.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tokamak posted:

I can't believe they are talking about introducing prisons and having players serve out sentences in the next few patches. This is the mechanic they are prioritising?! STOP RIGHT NOW CRIMINAL DEV

I'd say i'm gobsmacked myself, but hey, this is CIG. This sort of stuff is practically expected.

Always with the really cool sounding ideas, until you engage a single braincell to think about how it will actually work.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Space Court Update :toot:

Anyone here got a Pacer account?

So, what I get is to date its just Crytek saying not so, and CIG saying is too, and Crytek says nah ah, and CIG says meh meh.

I wish the judge would just get on with things and wrap this up one way or the other. The legal system takes far too long.

Or maybe the judge is just there thinking "What the hell have i gotten myself into here?"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

How many times is this now that they have rebooted the “say things about the game on YouTube” series? Honestly if there’s any one thing that could convince me Chris is actually a super smart con man and he’s only pretending to be a thumb with a barely operational brain it’s the fact that they regularly reboot and reshuffle all their “informational” shows in a way that deliberately makes it hard for fans to keep up with who said what where and when.

Speaking of which it is truly a shame this site that kept every loving statements in all those shows cross referenced and sourced is down:

http://www.scqa.info/

Surely some high tech goon can help make this back alive?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Things I love about how well-thought-out the new hangar is on the "890 Dollar Jump"

* Once again they've built poo poo to some random form-factor without accounting for their ships. Landing pads are square, this new hangar is tapered. How many small-pad ships are going to be completely unable to fit in this loving thing?
* How do you open and close this hangar? Does somebody have to be on board to hit a button and open the doors? That would instantly render it useless for 90% of the owners, who will be flying solo.
* Where do the doors even go? There's not enough room in the hull for them to slide fully out of the way.
* Will ships launching from the hangar preserve the velocity of the mothership, or will they (far more likely) snap to an immediate halt in space? If they launch at speed, they're instantly going to smack into the bridge of the ship and self-destruct.
* Will you be able to spawn more than one ship in there, or is it going to be limited to the one thing you have landed? If just the one, what happens when the player who owns that ship camps out while still in your big ship? If they come back later, are they hanging dead in space, or are they in a default wankpod and they'll have to reclaim their ship through insurance? If they don't, are you just stuck because their ship is lodged in your hangar forever?

I can guarantee you that none of these questions has received anything more than a casual hand wave. Add the doors, that's all it needs! Pocket carrier! Pocket carrier everybody!

Big question: why do you even NEED a hangar with a smaller ship in it? You're in space. It's a space ship. There's lots of space in space. What is the utility here? Do you sometimes want to leave behind your good ship and fly a shittier ship? Is it a very expensive escape pod?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Given everything, this is entirely on-topic:

https://twitter.com/rebelgalaxy/status/1139710290944122880?s=21

I plan on attending tomorrow. Anyone have any questions beyond a specific release date?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Big question: why do you even NEED a hangar with a smaller ship in it? You're in space. It's a space ship. There's lots of space in space. What is the utility here? Do you sometimes want to leave behind your good ship and fly a shittier ship? Is it a very expensive escape pod?

I think the expanation is simply rule of cool rather than anything practical.

You leave your big ship and its then a sitting duck (assuming it just doesn't randomly despawn).

However, like many things in SC, i think its oriented on people flying together. Your non-whale friend comes over and docks and you travel together, jumping somewhere, while you frolick together in the pool or something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So it's on the off chance your one (1 only) friend comes over and wants to use the pool when you're both in space instead of, like, docking at a spaceport. Am I correct in assuming actually swimming in the pool is not implemented? And even if it were, no one has given a reason that you'd want to do it, other than it being the high fidelity equivalent of watching a Sim swim?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So it's on the off chance your one (1 only) friend comes over and wants to use the pool when you're both in space instead of, like, docking at a spaceport. Am I correct in assuming actually swimming in the pool is not implemented? And even if it were, no one has given a reason that you'd want to do it, other than it being the high fidelity equivalent of watching a Sim swim?

Well, there might be other things to do like erm... repair the ship, plan your route, check market prices... erm... erm..... you know, CIG have promised so many awesome things, its going to be awesome! /s

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I love Thoatse Catte/doggo/animal post but this one makes me sad .... I so want that hedgedoggo to be warm.

Thosatse post history is the cure for depression.

Chris Roberts sucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kosumo posted:

I love Thoatse Catte/doggo/animal post but this one makes me sad .... I so want that hedgedoggo to be warm.

Thosatse post history is the cure for depression.

Chris Roberts sucks.

That’s a husky friend. He’s just fine.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Husky doggos will whine if they're NOT encased in cold water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82528KGDdo

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Duh, it's so you can launch into your smaller ship and travel around slower.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

:same:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

That’s a husky friend. He’s just fine.

Ok but Chris Roberts still sucks right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kosumo posted:

Ok but Chris Roberts still sucks right?

Absolutely.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

reverend crabhands posted:

Duh, it's so you can launch into your smaller ship and travel around slower.

Unironically this. Back when it was the Constellation they were selling, with the "P-52 Merlin" or whatever the gently caress "snub fighter" glued squarely onto its' rear end, the justification was that you'd be deep in the paint with your spaceship combat, and your crewmember would run back and deploy the snub fighter and then you all would woosh and zoom and shoot up the bad guys. Just like Elite Dangerous did, with the deployable ships!

But then they never actually built that feature into the Constellation. I mean the snub fighter is there, you just can't launch it. It is part of the model geometry and cannot be separated. So that lost some of its lustre, and they had to make it bigger and more exciting. Along comes the built-in space hanger. Now it's not a snub fighter your friend will run down and jump into, but a full fledged actual fighter that you have docked inside your very own ship! We'll probably even build it and make it work this time, after having sold it to you and letting it be in the game for 5+ years!

Some may question- what is the point of this? If I need a player to run it, why not just let him loving fly the drat thing from the start? CIG's brilliant solution to this question- create an artificial dependency, and also make the more expensive ships more P2W! We'll just make the big ships go faster. We'll also make them completely impenetrable to the fire of the small ships.

So now you'll want to haul around a fighter because if you fly it solo it's going to go waaaaay slower. But also, it's totally worthless because in the event that enough poo poo spawns to actually threaten your mothership, it will vaporize your single-seat fighter in seconds. CIG's solution to this has been to just kind of ignore it, and keep pushing back all the ships-with-hangars farther and farther into the future.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

John Smedly heads Amazon Game Studio and is most likely to blame for this clusterfuck.

Sounds like he made one reasonably popular thing in the early 1990s and haven't really produced anything noteworthy since then? I wonder why that sounds so familiar :thunk:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, TheAgent :)

Wow, CIG actually went "Crytek fails to show why it should get credited for Amazon’s code" when Crytek specifically said in the last filing that CIG getting a license from Amazon does not free them from an existing contract :doh:

The Titanic posted:

Stah Citisen.

Sorry, I have been having fun partying and drawing some lewd stuff while also not thinking about this train wreck that didn't even do E3 for some reason.

Also I love shoes and bags. :sparkles:

Are you drunk, Titanic? If so, I hope your drink came with an iceberg in it, at least.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bob Socko posted:

I plan on attending tomorrow. Anyone have any questions beyond a specific release date?
Maybe ask if there will be the option to make your own radio station (by putting MP3 files into a specific folder, or something)?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

Like The Titanic?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bofast posted:

Maybe ask if there will be the option to make your own radio station (by putting MP3 files into a specific folder, or something)?

There is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In the time this poo poo is in 'development' some guys made Citizens of Space.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016760/Citizens_of_Space/

It's probably going to suck, but whatever.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Watched their new dreams pillow talk show. There were a lot of funny bits but I just wanted to let MoMA know that Rentable Ships is coming in 3.6 and to be ready for the riches to start rolling in. I have a feeling jpeg rentals is gonna be HUGE! and not at all broken or hampered in a way to drive more sales.

MedicineHut posted:

Speaking of which it is truly a shame this site that kept every loving statements in all those shows cross referenced and sourced is down:

I had a feeling this might happen at some point. The youtube timestamp links were not working recently too. Thankfully I was able to get a JSON formatted object of what I believe is the entire database.

This was a while ago so I may be misremebering slightly. I figured out that searching on their site returned an array of each question to a function on the web client. All I did was console.log that object and searched a single space " " which gave everything as a response. :thumbsup:

Anyways it looks a little like this, I'll get it posted to a gist or something today.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Chris Roberts: "It's very easy to get lost in minutia"
:ironicat:

I pity the editor. You can hear 2 cuts in that one short blurb. lol

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SCQA data in it's original format: https://gist.github.com/Goonrathi/cc3a8eb6a5afbda768bba0f0b2c74fc9

Formatted with my preferences: https://gist.github.com/Goonrathi/752c97eb9c7530a77ebaedc126f1ac16
dropped info: transcribers name, transcribers link, question asker's name.
combined youtube video id and timestamp into a complete url.

MedicineHut posted:

I'm not signing up to do this but it would be a nice project for someone. I still need to get my blog up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Does this look like one of those gamer mice to anyone else?

monkeytek posted:

This is loving pathetic, it looks like a barely making it boothlet that are pity distributed when events are full up but have unusable areas do to location or size restrictions so they donate them to businesses to poor to afford the main fee.
I've seen larger, more decorated booths for zero-budget indie comic books at cons. Those at least get like, a cubicle wall behind them to pin posters and artwork up on.

Truly, there is nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kocizum/status/1139615763336171525

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've given up trying to reason with Tojal.... all he does is yell troll every time i post something.

He's now on my block list.

Its probably for the best, now he can yell troll to his satisfaction every time i post something and i won't even know about it.

Unless of course you fucktards post his replies here just to annoy me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

That road map is the Citizen version and it's substantially more readable than the actual version, where stuff just disappears without any indication that it was there previously.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

That person is a masochist. I'm surprised he made it this long and hasn't thrown in the towel because talk about a fuckton of work.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

My fav was the No Bamboozles guy. Get your bamboozle free Star Citizen right here folks!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Bob Socko posted:

Ask their professional opinion on why SC is such poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1135759708118274048
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1137336392063836160

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

quote:

bigger

that part is almost true, but even then there's games that are technically bigger than star citizen, since the 'size' of it is mostly just 64 bits of empty space. that means if i make a game where you are a naked guy and you fly around in 128 bits of empty space it's a bigger game, and i'm pretty sure that exists

hell, i don't think star citizen is even the biggest game in terms of file size.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1139736272312786945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is the only roadmap you need. Simple and easy to read! And you even have an official presentation about it!

3.0 was supposed to be out by the end of 2016 with them needing "two to three months between releases" for the next ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asF3PVMQ2JQ