Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Murf King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

thotsky posted:

It makes me feel old when kinky occultists are a novelty again.

If not thinking about a thing that a lot of other people have been makes you feel old then I guess you better get used to it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1139206228914188288

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Moore has written a lot of different stuff but Promethea is probably the most upfront about his views on magic, it's pretty much Western Occultism 101.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

loving Protestants

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also on the evil (protestant) side he saw another one that was just all idf babes but didn't take a picture.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The murals around the shankill are actually the good ones. Have to keep up with the neighbours.

In east Belfast quality takes a bit of a dive:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pomplamoose posted:

Will interviewing Alan Moore had a strong “Joe Rogan, but left” vibe. I didn’t know I needed that in my life.

This but it was bad.

The magic of chapo isn’t guests. It’s the chemistry between the hosts. Will isn’t a good interviewer and rolls over and lets the guests talk endlessly. No educated point refinement, no going back to previous points, no beginning middle end.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
all good podcasts have someone with a funny laugh...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

This but it was bad.

The magic of chapo isn’t guests. It’s the chemistry between the hosts. Will isn’t a good interviewer and rolls over and lets the guests talk endlessly. No educated point refinement, no going back to previous points, no beginning middle end.

:hmmyes:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Alan Moore criticism is sus (unless it's pointed at sexual stuff in his work)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was never going to be able to make the London shows but I feel like I missed out given that they've just put up a "Best of" show from the UK tour which is them just making GBS threads all over our lovely op-ed writers. And theres a loving lot of them. They could do an entire show on Nick Cohen and his increasingly insane anti-Corbyn hysteria. Or Toby Young's failson, miserable life filled with constant self owning. Or Dan Hodges being hired for his political insight and is wrong almost every time. Or Brendan O'Neill who is so desperate for a hot take he's gotten close to defending Jimmy Saville.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

papa horny michael posted:

Neonomicon is a lame run-of-the-mill Lovecraft pastiche. Even the gross monster rape stuff is par for the course in that sub-subgenre.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Neonomicon is a lame run-of-the-mill Lovecraft pastiche. Even the gross monster rape stuff is par for the course in that sub-subgenre.

lol at his quote about doing it for the money

quote:

I had a tax bill coming up, and I needed some money quickly. So I happened to be talking to William [A. Christensen] from Avatar Press, and he suggested that he could provide some if I was up for doing a four-part series, so I did. So although I took it to pay off the tax bill, I’m always going to make sure I try and make it the best possible story I can.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
I am sad/glad that it wasn't a full group session of the chapos and Moore. By Moore's own definition of magic, Felix is Chapo's by far mightiest wizard with his brain disease inducing bits and takes. Would love to see that wizard duel.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Ron Jeremy posted:

This but it was bad.

In most cases, sure, but rambling Alan Moore owns

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hutter posted:

I am sad/glad that it wasn't a full group session of the chapos and Moore. By Moore's own definition of magic, Felix is Chapo's by far mightiest wizard with his brain disease inducing bits and takes. Would love to see that wizard duel.

whenever they have a "serious" guest on they have to lock Felix in a closet until it's done. but yes, Felix's reality warping power is something to behold.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hutter posted:

People argued endlessly over whether his awkward moment with Cross was them playing up uncomfortable tension for laughs or if it was serious or if it even mattered, Felix and Moore would end the podcast

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Hahaha I drive through the peace wall every morning so I get to see this every day. Hun murals are wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did moore give up all royalties for watchmen or did he not get any to begin with? because i figured that'd be "never have to work again" money long ago.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
So far this article has been good reading, but I haven't the answer yet. A tepid no to him receiving money, though it seems like he explicitly does not want their money. https://comicsalliance.com/alan-moore-watchmen-contract-gibbons/

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Along with the eight pages of interview speaking in detail about it here http://www.seraphemera.org/seraphemera_books/AlanMoore_Page1.html

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's complicated. He and Gibbons got a percentage and a fee, but their contract was set up so that once it went out of print, they'd get the rights back. DC broke with common practice by just keeping it in print forever. That's the source of the acrimony between him and DC. He refused to have any involvement with the film and directed them to send his share of the royalties to Gibbons. He's mad enough about it that DC using Gibbons as a go-between hurt his friendship with Gibbons for awhile.

Part of it is a nasty incident where DC kind of strongarmed him into allowing a novelization--the writer was a friend of Moore's whose family member had a terminal illness.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

It's complicated. He and Gibbons got a percentage and a fee, but their contract was set up so that once it went out of print, they'd get the rights back. DC broke with common practice by just keeping it in print forever. That's the source of the acrimony between him and DC. He refused to have any involvement with the film and directed them to send his share of the royalties to Gibbons. He's mad enough about it that DC using Gibbons as a go-between hurt his friendship with Gibbons for awhile.

Part of it is a nasty incident where DC kind of strongarmed him into allowing a novelization--the writer was a friend of Moore's whose family member had a terminal illness.

Jeez no wonder he's so rightly disgusted with capitalism

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Felix, the headphone thing. Move on pls.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"Brass Nose College"? :wotwot:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

According to Ellis, Moore smokes spliffs the size of table legs. :swoon:

Alan Moore has a Christmas party every year and invites all the UK Comics people

A reliable source described his house to me as "like a guild navigators tank, but with weed smoke"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

papa horny michael posted:

Alan Moore's work is like a bunch of really nice architectural designs. They're really impressive from a craft standpoint, and you can appreciate the work that went into them, but they're cold and not very emotionally fulfilling a lot of the time

Also they all have a room for doing rape

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Moore has written a lot of different stuff but Promethea is probably the most upfront about his views on magic, it's pretty much Western Occultism 101.

it's also the one where an old guy "teaches" magic to a young woman by having sex with her which always kinda skeeved me out because that's deeeefinitely what a bunch of those old dudes into the occult are like.

that being said Moore interview ruled, i gotta go back and read Voice of the Fire.

Halloween Jack posted:

Neonomicon is pretty bad but The Courtyard is very good.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Felix, the headphone thing. Move on pls.

nice pair of headphones you got there, can I borrow them?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the interview was pretty good

Moore seems like a much more fundamentally decent guy than I've been led to believe but i dunno I need people to tell me if he's cancelled or not

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's also the one where an old guy "teaches" magic to a young woman by having sex with her which always kinda skeeved me out because that's deeeefinitely what a bunch of those old dudes into the occult are like.
As a thesis on magick, The Invisibles blows Promethea out of the water.

In that one, a young man learns more magick by having sex with an old woman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

As a thesis on magick, The Invisibles blows Promethea out of the water.

In that one, a young man learns more magick by having sex with an old woman.

The Invisibles is so loving good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i saw this ad right before he tweeted this

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1139586094910115841

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Ron Jeremy posted:

This but it was bad.

if i was interviewing legends like adam curtis or alan moore i would poo poo my drawers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Judging by the audience response, the Brits love Virgil and don't get Matt at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

semper games

https://twitter.com/JosayyLmao/status/1139862610667593733

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Judging by the audience response, the Brits love Virgil and don't get Matt at all.

Virgil's got that dry British humour, and dresses like a true gentleman. Matt on the other hand is a complete oaf.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Alan Moore's greatest works include The Archies Meet Joe Meek, Captain Lorry, and Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

in England the podcast is known as Dapper Toilet Man vs Howling Oaf and it's played on prime time BBC.