Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's pretty good. Unlike Doom though, I can't play it nowadays and get the same joy as when it came out and was fresh - if I want fighting games, I'll play Tekken, if I want the Streetfighter formula, I'll play one of the much better games that SF2 laid the groundwork for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm not much of a fighting game player but I do play them from time to time. The competitive drive of many of the players pushes me away and the resulting tiering of characters based on power and moves means that they're chosen for how effective they are to use, not how fun they are. Street Fighter II embraced this sort of thing over the years and the fanbase took it up to 11.

I enjoyed playing it with friends on the SNES when it was new, but I can't get into the newer versions of it.

And Guile was the best. That hair was so good it fought aliens to defend Earth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Week 5: 15th June - 21st June

Unfortunately Street Fighter II can't quite challenge the big boys as it falls short with a final score of 3.94. And while the votes for best character were very well spread out we ended on a tie between Chun-Li and Guile. It's a victory for American and Chinese stereotypes everywhere! Anyway, let's check in on our current rankings:

1. Super Mario 64: 4.38
2. Doom: 4.22
3. Street Fighter II: 3.94
4. The Sims: 2.8

So we come to this week's game. With the latest sequel in this franchise being seen at E3 this felt like a timely choice:

IGN posted:

The most gorgeous looking game.

Gamespot posted:

The lack of exposition feels like a missed opportunity to make the characters and the setting even more compelling.

Eurogamer posted:

Let's not pretend that we're wallowing in the future of entertainment. 

RATED 94 ON METACRITIC

SOLD 5.88 MILLION COPIES

FIRST XBOX GAME TO MAKE THE TOP 10 SELLERS CHART IN JAPAN

2007 INTERACTIVE ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS GAME OF THE YEAR

2007 GOLDEN JOYSTICK GAME OF THE YEAR

GEARS OF WAR
(XBox 360, Epic, 2006)

It might be hard to imagine now but there was once a time where every action game wasn't a third person cover shooter. Gears of War was a game that changed the entire industry. With it's hectic gunplay, shoot first ask questions never story and a steroid busting amount of machismo it burst onto the scene at the start of the 7th generation and demanded to be noticed. Gears of War set the tone that franchises like Uncharted and Resident Evil would soon follow, it popularised the 00s 'next gen' art style but how good was it, really?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh look its another game that originated an entire genre and got surpassed in quality by both its own direct heirs and some of the 400 hojillion games that iterated on its mechanics. The active reload mechanic is something more games should have stolen, but thats balanced out by having honest to god insta fail stealth scenes in an action game where you have chainsaws for bayonets.

And yes, Im fully aware this game mechanically is a synthesis of some Resident Evil 4* mechanics and completely ripping off the entirety of Kill.Switch but the reason were talking about this game and it kicked off a revolution is it plays extremely differently than Resi 4 (except the one room, first island, I can point it out if you need to but its basically Gears of War the tech demo) and is actually a fun game that sold well unlike Kill.switch

*5 out of 5 dont care that you didnt ask

Edit: Oh haha right they were still hiding loading behind unskippable cutscenes in this one. Loss of another point.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 15, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

*5 out of 5 dont care that you didnt ask

Oh we'll definitely get to REvil 4 eventually

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

2 I dislike just about everything to do with Gears and its effects on games for like a decade. It controlled well enough I guess, so it's not a total loss. Aesthetically and narratively, this repels me, as to gameplay, it modified a genre so completely that I stopped playing games belonging to it on a regular basis.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kill.switch was more fun. Active Reload was alright I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
2/5. It made zero effect on me when it came out and still doesn't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3/5
Soild, perfectly playable game but made very little impression on me aside from "lookit all that juice!"

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, I avoided the other two because I find it hard to have opinions about something that never even came close to being related to my experiences and I never played, but gears of war has certainly affected my most played genre of game so

2/5 Its probably fine as a series, but for a while in my life there was just a bunch of bad derivative cover shooters and frankly its really frustrating when I really prefer shooters where being agile is how you avoid dying. I don't think even if I had a xbox 360 I would have played the game. The big reason why its only 2/5 is that I feel its unfair to rate it lower when I literally have not played it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

cover shooters are stupid. we figured out the 'crouch' button more than a decade and a half before GoW and it and all it's imitators were a step backward from that idea. GoW ruined shooters for more than a generation.

past that, it's ugly and evokes the most distilled form of boring machismo and masculinity that action movies drove into the ground before the 80's.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

remusclaw posted:

2 I dislike just about everything to do with Gears and its effects on games for like a decade. It controlled well enough I guess, so it's not a total loss. Aesthetically and narratively, this repels me, as to gameplay, it modified a genre so completely that I stopped playing games belonging to it on a regular basis.

:agreed:

You ever get that feeling where you see a trailer or hear a song and hate it, but you also get a visceral premonition that it's going to be super-popular and there will be no avoiding it? That's me with GoW. Some of the weapons were creative and fun at least, which saves it from a 1 rating.

2/5

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
2 out of 5. even playing this in co-op, the secret sauce that makes any game better, wasn't enough to keep it from feeling like a drab chore. to me this is one of the games that represents everything wrong with late 2000s development. the central genre-inspiring mechanic is lame, I'd much rather play far superior cover shooter time crisis. but i guess having a chainsaw on your arm is pretty cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna say Im wholly unsurprised goons as a whole do not care for this game at all.

Its such a weird game because it was absolutely revelatory to play but simultaneously absolutely terrible. Like the gaming equivalent of the great train robbery.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lol i only played it because one of my college roommates had a 360 with every halo and gears game and liked playing through their campaigns co-op. dual stick shooters, broadly speaking, aren't really my thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
3/5
I hate, hate, hate the effect it had on shooters but the game itself is pretty fun as a one-off, standalone thing. Only Gears game I played since it's the only one that came to PC. Tho I think I pirated it lol.

Still though, the campaign was decent and varied enough, it was visually impressive (brown) at the time, it led to every single game of that generation being made on the Unreal engine and hey, fucken chainsaw bayonets.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cliffy set out to make a console shooter, problem is, he made a console shooter. Also, any 3rd person game that doesn't have shoulder camera switching can't have a huge character taking up a third of the screen.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
2/5
loving game dragged on forever and it was just the same poo poo over and over and over. Even if the mechanics were new and, at the time fresh, the game was simply a chore to play.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

2/5

I don't like what it did to shooters, and the game itself isn't that fun. Also, it may have been the 2nd game but it was the first series I remember having unskippable walking moments that hid load screens. Finally, the character designs sucked. It's fun enough in co-op but so are most co-op games.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

1/5

Ugly art direction and bad gameplay. Even the multiplayer was mediocre because of the poor p2p netcode meaning the host always had an insane advantage.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plays good and really raised the bar for console shooters in terms of controls and multiplayer. Coop is fun and the TDM was king until Metal Gear Solid 4 absolutely blew it away less than 2 years later. Would be a 4 but loses a point for repetition, boring narrative and characters, and the setting being kind of like a less cool version of Quake 2. Despite better graphics and gameplay, ultimately not as good as 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand if you're looking for a fun split screen coop cover shooter.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

A game and franchise with few, if any, redeeming features. Bland, weak gunfeel, bad gimmick sections, a really tedious endboss, peer to peer online play and hosed weapon balance.

Also helped popularize one of the worst aesthetics in videogame history.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

2/5
Uninspired art direction honestly, there were a few games that I got confused with this, from screenshots alone. Even its characters looked samey. Part of that is that they look like they could be Generic Macho Unreal Tournament Character. Thin story doesn't help with that.

It had some okay ideas but they were executed poorly, and its success encouraged others to ape those bad ideas.

Maybe it was more impressive for game-starved Xbox players? I think historically it's always been better received there than on PC.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

3/5

The first real console I ever had that was "mine" was a PS2, and Ratchet and Clank was one of my favorite games. Up Your Arsenal came with the capacity for online multiplayer if you had a router and a connector plugin, but it was incredibly simplistic and I wasn't willing to ask for 40$ worth of accessories to play one game's tacked-on multiplayer. The only other game on the PS2 of any renown that made me even consider getting the online was Final Fantasy XI, but the monthly subscription kept me away.

We didn't have a computer that was very powerful, so I was never really able to get into PC gaming. In terms of MMOs, my experience was Ragnarok Online and Maplestory, but even those I found to be boring. By the time the 360 was coming along, I was really excited about getting Dead Rising and Burnout Revenge. But, a few months later in October, Gears of War really became the first game that everyone at school was talking about. Me and my friends (and some people who weren't even really my friend) would play through the campaign co-op, and eventually we found our way to doing multiplayer. We would head over to one person's house who had two TV's in their upstairs lounge and we'd hook an Xbox up to each one and play online together, with the full Xbox Live experience. The first voice message I got was from a guy who told me that everyone was loving pissed off because I would use the chainsaw every round and to stop it or they'd just leave the match.

Now, normally I wouldn't rate the quality of the game based on nostalgia, but I think for as average as a game Gears was, it was really the game that helped turn Xbox Live into what it is today, and it totally paved the way for online multiplayer on consoles. If you look at all the 360s biggest online games (Halo 3, Team Fortress 2, Modern Warfare), all of those came out in late 2007, a full year after Gears. Online multiplayer became a staple that everyone was trying to throw into their game, largely in part to the phenomenon that was Gears of War. It was the first game to really bridge the gap between the PC gaming experience and the consoles to a large-scale audience. The original Xbox Live was primitive, and the appeal of titles that attempted the same things like Halo 2 and Unreal Championship were limited by the poor functionality, but Gears took full advantage of the improved service that came with the launch of the 360. It was the game that sold a lot of people on the idea that online gaming on consoles was the future.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3/5

It's good but there's no reason to play it with Gears 2 and 3 existing tbh. Also lol at each and every attempt to add pathos or anything but dumb 80s action bullshit to the franchise

quote:

Its such a weird game because it was absolutely revelatory to play but simultaneously absolutely terrible. Like the gaming equivalent of the great train robbery.

Gears of War is a weird franchise because it's one of those ones where you keep playing and enjoying them while complaining about every single thing about it.

"gently caress this stupid netcode. gently caress that stupid shotgun. gently caress that MY stupid shotgun didn't do what HIS stupid shotgun did because of the stupid netcode." and so on :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 15, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
2/5

I actually like cover shooters like The Division, when it kind of matches the tone and aethestic of the game otherwise, but:

Barudak posted:

honest to god insta fail stealth scenes in an action game where you have chainsaws for bayonets.

knocks down the game pretty far for me just by itself.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
How many weeks until you get to the pokeymans.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GBS Ambassador posted:

How many weeks until you get to the pokeymans.

It's on the list, we'll get there :)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mediocre garbage that also sent FPS games careening in an awful duration for years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Mediocre garbage that also sent FPS games careening in an awful duration for years.

I'm not disagreeing the score, I just cant remember too many FPS games that got influenced by Gears of War except for Rainbow 6. What else was there

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

I'm not disagreeing the score, I just cant remember too many FPS games that got influenced by Gears of War except for Rainbow 6. What else was there

The Resistence franchise was a hell of a lot like Gears for one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

Resistance Fall of Man came out one week after Gears of War 1, but I didnt play the sequels cause the first game was not good so I dont know if they stole stuff from Gears.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gears of War ruined games for a decade. Cover-heavy action mechanics aren't fun and it wasn't until a few years ago that game designers finally figured that out again. gently caress this ugly piece of poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rarity posted:

Only insofar as it has brown environments and humanoid monsters. Hell they aren't even the same genre, aside from Retribution.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Resistance Fall of Man came out one week after Gears of War 1, but I didnt play the sequels cause the first game was not good so I dont know if they stole stuff from Gears.

Ah I didn't realise. There was a much bigger gap between them in the UK!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

2 I probably would have rated this a 3 or maybe even a 4 if it didn't cause 'cover shooters' to be a big thing. I don't mind them as one off games but every single game being that way just makes them all way more boring for me. I do remember liking it quite a bit but I was like 12 when I played it so

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
1/5

This game represents everything that went wrong with gaming during the 7th generation of consoles. Awful visual design, bland characters, and gameplay that was only made fun several iterations later by other developers. I cannot think of anything that is genuinely worthy of praise here. The 360 was a poor console in general, and its failures are made evident by the fact that this is one of its most highly lauded games.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gonna be real interesting to read the RE4 takes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

Resistance 1 was a genuinely good game that was ahead of its time in fusing 90's and 2000's FPS design and then they threw that all away with 2 by just going all in on aping Halo and killed the series.

Anyway Gears gets a 2/5.

I remember having fun playing co-op through the game with my friend years ago but I really doubt it would hold up, especially because all of the better FPSes that I've played since.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2/5

The best innovation of the game, the active reload, was pretty much neglected outside of a Enter The Gungeon homage.