Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

shame on an IGA posted:

gotta call BS on the relation to the show at least one of those is years old to not include the new confinement building
Oh, yeah, I'm pretty sure that particular one's from the original thread and photoset that first put Chernobyl tourism into internet consciousness.

Whole rear end out, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's like guided tours and poo poo around parts of the area, though obviously poo poo like "sneaking into the hospital basement in order to upload a video of your geiger counter going nuts at the pile of clothes stripped off the fatally irradiated firemen" isn't on the guided tour and requires sneaking in somehow.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdgVcL3Xlkk

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Someone posted this show which covered the death of Shriya "that Canadian Photoshop woman" Shah-Klorfine to either this thread or the GBS one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME

It's interesting because there's actually video that she took herself in there.

Even if you're not interested in her story, here's an impressive panorama of the traffic jam on the way to the summit from that year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME&t=2387s

Until you see tents (which must be camp 4) you haven't seen the worst of it yet!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
everyone clapped

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1139234256201363464

quote:

Because climbing is such an important part of the tourism industry in Nepal, and because this season has been particularly deadly, Everest hoaxes are treated very seriously. In 2016, a couple got caught faking their ascent and wound up getting fired from their jobs and banned from climbing in Nepal for ten years.

"No one lies about Club Everest"

*slaps cricket bat against palm*

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'd love to know how to fake a mountain ascent. Like, were they just sort of standing there, pretending to labor at the ropes, "Just keep moving... we're... almost to the.. next camp..."

Maybe setup a green screen in their tent or something?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'd love to know how to fake a mountain ascent. Like, were they just sort of standing there, pretending to labor at the ropes, "Just keep moving... we're... almost to the.. next camp..."

Maybe setup a green screen in their tent or something?

They take photos of themselves on climbing machines and their parents and a bunch of money to the coach of Everest.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Photoshop.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME&t=2387s

Until you see tents (which must be camp 4) you haven't seen the worst of it yet!

I think that might be camp 3 instead of 4, so they have a long way to go still. Camp 4 should be up on the South Col, which is a kinda flat, rocky, windswept plateau area. There wouldn't be much snow at camp 4 because it gets blasted off the mountain by the wind. It looks like they are going from camp 3 up the Lhotse Face and then over the Yellow Band, which I think is that exposed rocky strip going across the screen at the beginning. The Yellow Band would be like the halfway point between camp 3 and 4.

I only know the names of those landmarks because I finished Into Thin Air a little while ago. I thought it was interesting that Krakauer was already an experienced mountaineer who had done some really difficult technical climbs before Everest, but he still thought that Everest was the most difficult. Technical skills count for next to nothing and it's just a straight up, excruciatingly slow and exhausting slog up and down the mountain over and over again over a period of weeks before you can even try to make the summit push. The fact that hundreds of people line up every year for the opportunity to exhaust themselves walking up and down the mountain over and over again for weeks just so they might have an opportunity to stand in line to the place called DEATH ZONE, while literally stepping over dead bodies on the way is just :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After hearing about how lovely Krakauer was about Boukreev, I'm glad the movie made Krakauer out to be a bitch saying he was snow blind when Boukreev asks for his help.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my only exposure to krakaurer is reading Into The Wild in college. is he some kinda douchenozzle or something

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

my only exposure to krakaurer is reading Into The Wild in college. is he some kinda douchenozzle or something

He tried to paint a specific guide, Boukreev, from the 1996 disaster as being kind of a villain when most of the other people involved would maintain that he had worked hard and saved people's lives. Ultimately it boiled down to the fact that Boukreev had performed the ascent without oxygen and thus had to descend from the summit quickly and wasn't in a position to immediately provide help to his clients, which Krakauer considered very irresponsible. But he came back up shortly afterward to help people, and none of his clients died, so some people feel like Krakauer was overly harsh for the sake of trying to give his book a more interesting narrative. This is somewhat compounded by the fact that Boukreev died in an accident the very next year, so Krakauer's book retroactively seems harsher for vilifying a man who did good work and died tragically not long after.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

He tried to paint a specific guide, Boukreev, from the 1996 disaster as being kind of a villain when most of the other people involved would maintain that he had worked hard and saved people's lives. Ultimately it boiled down to the fact that Boukreev had performed the ascent without oxygen and thus had to descend from the summit quickly and wasn't in a position to immediately provide help to his clients, which Krakauer considered very irresponsible. But he came back up shortly afterward to help people, and none of his clients died, so some people feel like Krakauer was overly harsh for the sake of trying to give his book a more interesting narrative. This is somewhat compounded by the fact that Boukreev died in an accident the very next year, so Krakauer's book retroactively seems harsher for vilifying a man who did good work and died tragically not long after.

Most of the Sherpas blamed Boukreev for the disaster, including head Sherpas Lopsang Jangbu and Ang Dorge. From the postscript from the later edition of Krakauer's book, he wrote, "On separate occasions, both Lopsang and Ang Dorge told me, in very strong terms, that they (and virtually all the other Sherpas on their respective teams) did indeed blame Boukreev for the disaster. Their views are documented in notes, recorded interviews, and correspondence.)"

Krakauer left that part out of the first editions of his book and made sure not to blame Boukreev for the disaster, but he did criticize him (but also praised his heroics later on in the storm). Some of the other guides also criticized Boukreev and even Reinhold Messner said it was very irresponsible to guide without oxygen. Boukreev descended hours ahead of his clients which was pretty unheard of among professional mountaineering guides at the time. Boukreev also left Martin Adams behind on the mountain in a delirious state and he probably would have died descending the wrong side of the mountain if Michael Groom had not come along to help.

Having just read the book, Krakauer seemed to blame himself for the disaster more than Boukreev. He thought that him tagging along and recording every move they did as a journalist made the normally careful expedition leaders push themselves harder and stay up in the death zone much longer than they should have just so they could show off every client making it to the summit. The leaders initially made a plan to turn back at 1 or 2pm regardless of what happened, just to be safe, but they ended up staying up there for hours longer than that and died because of it. Nevertheless, the book caused a big slapfight between Krakauer, Boukreev and some other author.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This seems pretty foolhardy, although probably a lot less dangerous than cavediving. Probably can't get yourself into too much trouble when you can only travel as far as one breath will take you.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/04/freedivers-guillaume-nery-julie-gautier-one-breath-around-world/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

PostNouveau posted:

This seems pretty foolhardy, although probably a lot less dangerous than cavediving. Probably can't get yourself into too much trouble when you can only travel as far as one breath will take you.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/04/freedivers-guillaume-nery-julie-gautier-one-breath-around-world/

what's wild is, humans' desire to breathe is much more strongly moderated by our blood CO2 levels than by our blood O2, since O2 is almost all bound up in hemoglobin, and almost always near 100% saturation, but CO2 is just free-floating in the plasma and can vary much more based on activity level. Dissolved CO2 is also acidic, making blood pH the main thing that drives our feeling short of breath or a desire to breathe.

so as long as you took a bunch of deep breaths and jacked up your blood Ph enough, you can become hypoxic and pass out underwater without ever feeling the urge to surface and breathe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freediving_blackout

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's wild is, humans' desire to breathe is much more strongly moderated by our blood CO2 levels than by our blood O2, since O2 is almost all bound up in hemoglobin, and almost always near 100% saturation, but CO2 is just free-floating in the plasma and can vary much more based on activity level. Dissolved CO2 is also acidic, making blood pH the main thing that drives our feeling short of breath or a desire to breathe.

so as long as you took a bunch of deep breaths and jacked up your blood Ph enough, you can become hypoxic and pass out underwater without ever feeling the urge to surface and breathe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freediving_blackout

Whoa, that's nuts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's why it's so easy to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Our body only responds to a build up of CO2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching "The Summit" on Hulu, about the 2008 disaster on K2 that killed 11 people.

It's weird because they all seem to agree the rope crew hosed up leading to a late start, and an avalanche took out a climber with the ropes all the people above them needed, and then everything is just a confused blur after that because everyone spent so long above 8,000 meters, and then the survivors point fingers for the rest of their lives.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's why it's so easy to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Our body only responds to a build up of CO2.

not ONLY, there's a weak sensitivity to oxygen level too, but that's mostly only apparent if someone's in respiratory distress (they'll get agitated, moody, or report a sense of impending doom) or has been living with severe respiratory disease for so many years that oxygen saturation around 90% or less is their baseline. basically if someone's O2 saturation is dropping they're already in respiratory distress, but someone's co2 sat goes up almost immediately upon physical activity, because it's a waste product of metabolism

overriding the CO2-driven impulse to breathe is impossible; it's reflex and will happen even if you're unconscious or asleep, but overriding the weak sensitivity to oxygen is fairly trivial

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Watching "The Summit" on Hulu, about the 2008 disaster on K2 that killed 11 people.

It's weird because they all seem to agree the rope crew hosed up leading to a late start, and an avalanche took out a climber with the ropes all the people above them needed, and then everything is just a confused blur after that because everyone spent so long above 8,000 meters, and then the survivors point fingers for the rest of their lives.

I mean really it's your fault the moment you decide you're going to climb a killer mountain

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've spent hours reading this thread start to finish and all I have to say is:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

goddamn

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Boukreev also wrote his own book trying to defend against Krakauer's criticisms, and the two got into a public argument at some kind of event at one point. He was also one of the guides that was on the team who were essentially dragging Sandy Hill Pittman up the mountain in the most glaring example of the commercialization of Everest which was a side story for the expedition. I can't remember if he wast the one who actually short-roped her, or if it was a Sherpa, but either way Krakauer was making some efforts to point out a lot of what he felt were that team's mistakes and which Boukreev wanted to protect himself from.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it is accurate or not, but the movie shows the ropes that were supposed to be set leading up to the Hillary step weren't because the Sherpa who was supposed to set them was busy dragging Sandy up the mountain.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sand Monster posted:

Boukreev also wrote his own book trying to defend against Krakauer's criticisms, and the two got into a public argument at some kind of event at one point. He was also one of the guides that was on the team who were essentially dragging Sandy Hill Pittman up the mountain in the most glaring example of the commercialization of Everest which was a side story for the expedition. I can't remember if he wast the one who actually short-roped her, or if it was a Sherpa, but either way Krakauer was making some efforts to point out a lot of what he felt were that team's mistakes and which Boukreev wanted to protect himself from.

The Krakauer-Boukreev feud was also played up by marketing and publishers who knew that it'd sell more books. Into Thin Air was a huge hit of course and the publishers of The Climb knew that they could sell more copies by presenting the Boukreev book as a counter-argument to the more popular one. Boukreev died right around the time it came out anyways so the publishers were able to spin it however they wanted pretty much without his actual input.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can I write a book about Everest

“All these motherfuckers are idiots”

The definitive account by a man who wasn’t even there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's no such thing as a reliable narrator in the death zone. Nobody, including everyone involved, can have a 100% clear understanding of the events, because they're all sufficiently mentally impaired by oxygen deprivation that they might as well be a bunch of drunks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Book Movie Report: Into The Void

Summary: Today I have been viscerally afraid of any terrain change greater then the height of a fat caterpillar.

Plot: "We were afraid to climb into a trap, where we'd be stuffed on the way down."

[Whiteout happens] "We might be stuffed"

[Ledge gives way] "I thought for a sec I was stuffed"

[Out of fuel in storm] "If we can't get down quick, we're stuffed"

[Broken leg] "Simon and I shared a look like we knew I was stuffed"

[Lowered down mountain face in darkness] "It was so cold and we had no water, I knew we were stuffed"

[Suspended in midair] "I'm stuffed, I've had it"

[Drops ascent knot] "I knew I was totally stuffed"

[Falls into cave] "I screamed into the black because I knew I was stuffed"

[Fails to climb ice face ] "gently caress, I'm stuffed"

[Dangling from rope in ice cave depths] "I didn't want to look down because I'd be certain then whether I'm stuffed"

[Crawling on thin eggshell shelf of ice over the yawning void :catstare: ] "If I broke through, I'd have been stuffed"

[Realizes he must crawl miles crippled and dehydrated] "I got out, but regardless I was stuffed"

[Realizes glacier is a maze of more death pits] "Sheer dumb luck would have to keep me from getting stuffed"

[Couldn't walk over rocky terrain] "I knew I was dead"

[Delirious in the latrine hole ] "They left. I was stuffed from the beginning"

[Base camp guy hears human howling in the night] "I knew he was dead days ago, so it was a zombie and I know we were stuffed."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Non-spoiler version: Climber man really loving likes being alive :stonkhat:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That dude was stubborn as poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can relate. If I eat another ravioli I’ll be stuffed.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
“Bloody hell, I’m going to die to Boney M...”

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the real question is: can we tittyfuck the mountains

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

no the realer question is: why havent you tried??

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Only the Grand Tetons.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

OMGVBFLOL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngC_4j1gjMY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Only the Grand Tetons.

gotta go down to squaw valley first

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

gotta go down to squaw valley first

lmao

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/clips/top-of-the-world

This guy's mother rules. She's angry at her son for putting his life in danger, but angrier he put sherpas' lives in danger taking them up with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/clips/top-of-the-world

This guy's mother rules. She's angry at her son for putting his life in danger, but angrier he put sherpas' lives in danger taking them up with him

only people in new zealand can watch that video