Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is cloning pokemon still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

For Dexit, I'm expecting things which have their types covered to be axed. This of course won't always be the case since we know Pelipper and Gyarados are in, but I'd not be shocked if Skarmory was out because of Corviknight. Perhaps by 'fixing balance' they'll be ousting particular monsters which have been dominant for the past decade like Landorus-T and the like. And hey, now they have a reason to make another Fire/Fighting type!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Is cloning pokemon still a thing?
The Mewtwo remake is coming out next month so even if it's not still a thing, it's still fresh in our minds.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sword and Shield are my fav games, gently caress tha haters because lol

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nodosaur posted:

Home is confirmed to have gameplay elements; even if they don't have some kind of battle component, they're not going to sit there and rot.

Not to mention, all the talk about holding your Pokemon hostage or calling it a prison is emotionally manipulative as gently caress and just another way of showing how one side is trying to control the conversation.

3 weeks ago, they got on stage specifically to say that people enjoyed having their pokemon from 15 years ago move forward with them and how important that was to them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m totally okay with the prospect of games having 100 new Pokémon plus a selection of old ones. Eventually we’ll have thousands of mons, and I don’t think it’s really doing anything for the gameplay to have E V E R Y one available. I’m more than happy to see Raticate featuring in one gen and then Furret in another.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

Home is confirmed to have gameplay elements; even if they don't have some kind of battle component, they're not going to sit there and rot.

Not to mention, all the talk about holding your Pokemon hostage or calling it a prison is emotionally manipulative as gently caress and just another way of showing how one side is trying to control the conversation.

So it’s Poké Pelago on a much larger scale?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

They're left in the code because they're basically simple executable files and a gif that take up very little space. Filling each region with a flower shop to transform Shaymin, a site for some Deoxys meteors, or whatever is far more involved.

It takes about as much effort to duplicate an NPC and run a basic talking script to give you the Gracidea as it would for any other NPC who spouts off mindless jabber.

You're coming down on people and calling them "emotionally manipulative" as if they're a wife beating rear end in a top hat and not someone who's understandably upset that their virtual pets which up to now have been almost completely accessible are suddenly not that. If anything it's "emotionally manipulative" to assure one thing then a few weeks later show the opposite. Like no poo poo that the consumer is controlling the conversation, because they aren't getting what they've come to expect. Call it spoiled, but you can't make bank off these characters for two decades then expect rotating some out won't lead to a lot of backlash. People get mad about their video games.

I've brought this up to people whose last game was FireRed (ie they have no horse in this race) and even they think it's ridiculous. There is no good reason for this, and this certainly could have been mitigated with some foresight.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 15, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

All I want is Electabuzz my cool and good friend to exist in pokengland

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Anything you can get in LGPE (so all of gen 1) should be in, surely.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
All sins will be forgiven if the pokemon home app allows for breeding and then allows the eggs to hatch via actual walking around. I honestly hate driving my character around in circles in game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Licarn posted:

Anything you can get in LGPE (so all of gen 1) should be in, surely.

LGPE is a gen VII game, S&S is gen VIII.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hatching eggs in the Pokeball Plus would be quite cool.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Only if we get Pokemon Go incubators so I don't have to walk near 5 miles for a single Dratine

Noibat being in makes me hope it's like Ultra games and players can be duped into thinking this tiny bat-dragon is good beyond the first gym.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Golden Gael posted:

For Dexit, I'm expecting things which have their types covered to be axed. This of course won't always be the case since we know Pelipper and Gyarados are in, but I'd not be shocked if Skarmory was out because of Corviknight. Perhaps by 'fixing balance' they'll be ousting particular monsters which have been dominant for the past decade like Landorus-T and the like. And hey, now they have a reason to make another Fire/Fighting type!

I hope it's not this because I love Garchomp

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope it's not this because I love Garchomp

Absence of Garchomp would be an instant-skip from me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question, re: PokeGo discussion

does anyone know if Meltan is canon? Like, does it count as an actual pokemon that could exist in the pokedex, or is it like ash greninja

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blaziken386 posted:

does anyone know if Meltan is canon? Like, does it count as an actual pokemon that could exist in the pokedex, or is it like ash greninja

It is a real Pokemon, yes. I'm not sure how you could think it would be the same as Ash-Greninja when one's its own thing and the other is a form for an existing Pokemon.

Plus it's already numbered, 807 with 808 being Melmetal.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Nah, it's totally canon. Shame it can only evolve in Go tho.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A thing thats gonna keep biting both sides is how little we know. Maybe Home is a sub model and your poo poo gets deleted if you dont pay, or maybe its free and you keep stuff always. Maybe theres battle stuff or maybe game elements means it tracks your steps to give a pokemon exp and nothing else.
Maybe the reduced pokedex gives more attention to the pokemon included and do creative things or maybr its sm on higher fidelity.

We don't know poo poo, and thats why arguments are rough. Blame the big companies.

Pretty much this.

People are getting real pissy about stuff that hasn't been confirmed or acknowledged.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Blaziken386 posted:

It's considered canon. Meltan and Melmetal can be transferred to the Let's Go games. It has stats, a movepool, is a character in the anime and is basically its own entity within the Pokemon universe.

EDIT: Ash-Greninja is also considered canon as it can also be used in the Gen 7 games (it's implied that the one you get from the Sun and Moon demo is literally Ash's Greninja from the anime).

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 15, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
DP anime update: This Pokemon Summer Academy arc sort of comes out of nowhere (weren't they rushing to get to Celestic Town for a Pokemon Contest the previous episode?), but I like the concept, and it provides the extra episode plots DP's length requires without falling into the standard formula. In general, I like the move towards more slice-of-life-y filler that doesn't revolve around fighting Team Rocket's mechs. (It seems some of the writers liked it too, because apparently Ash and friends going to school is the main plot in Sun and Moon.) Conway's obnoxious nerdiness is surprisingly entertaining; he's what Max will grow up to be if Ralts doesn't steer him in a better direction, heh.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It is a real Pokemon, yes. I'm not sure how you could think it would be the same as Ash-Greninja when one's its own thing and the other is a form for an existing Pokemon.

Plus it's already numbered, 807 with 808 being Melmetal.
uuggghhhhhhhhhhhh :negative:
I'd hoped it was just like spiky-eared pichu/cosplay pikachu in that it's an actual thing, but if you try to bring it forward the poketransporter yells at you

having to collect mythicals for the livingdex was annoying enough, it's atrocious that one of the pokemon is mobile exclusive

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

It takes about as much effort to duplicate an NPC and run a basic talking script to give you the Gracidea as it would for any other NPC who spouts off mindless jabber.

You're coming down on people and calling them "emotionally manipulative" as if they're a wife beating rear end in a top hat and not someone who's understandably upset that their virtual pets which up to now have been almost completely accessible are suddenly not that. If anything it's "emotionally manipulative" to assure one thing then a few weeks later show the opposite. Like no poo poo that the consumer is controlling the conversation, because they aren't getting what they've come to expect. Call it spoiled, but you can't make bank off these characters for two decades then expect rotating some out won't lead to a lot of backlash. People get mad about their video games.

I've brought this up to people whose last game was FireRed (ie they have no horse in this race) and even they think it's ridiculous. There is no good reason for this, and this certainly could have been mitigated with some foresight.

There’s ways to be “emotionally manipulative” in ways that aren’t going so far as to be a domestic abuser, and I’m not really going to entertain that kind of hyperbole. Comparing it to real life facism or prison is whatever the hell else people are calling it is a deliberate way to engender a specific kind of reaction. That’s scummy, and I don’t like it. What GF may or may not have done isn’t something the fandom can influence, but we can talk about the nature of how we conduct this discourse.

Fans will get mad. I’ve gotten eye searingly mad at media before, on this very forum. It made me feel worse than I already did. Don’t act like just being angry about something affords legitimacy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blaziken386 posted:

I'd hoped it was just like spiky-eared pichu/cosplay pikachu in that it's an actual thing, but if you try to bring it forward the poketransporter yells at you

having to collect mythicals for the livingdex was annoying enough, it's atrocious that one of the pokemon is mobile exclusive

Oh, don't worry, because whatever you collected over the years? 50% of it won't be transferable to new gens thanks to GameFreak's Thanos policy starting with SwSh. You can totally skip on Meltan and its evolution when you take that into consideration.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

I think it's common enough in the mobile games that once you've activated the box that summons them, they start appearing a lot for about 30 minutes (before the box closes and you need to wait a week before you can activate it again). They can then at least be transferred over to the Let's Go games.

I'm sure that people would be willing to trade one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, don't worry, because whatever you collected over the years? 50% of it won't be transferable to new gens thanks to GameFreak's Thanos policy starting with SwSh. You can totally skip on Meltan and its evolution when you take that into consideration.
I cannot. :colbert:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

You'll be allowed to put them into Home... It's just that some species can't clear customs and can't be taken into Galar.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-O0OwqYZzY

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

You'll be allowed to put them into Home... It's just that some species can't clear customs and can't be taken into Galar.

like chlorinated Blaziken

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

That's a terrifying cry.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I am become wooloo, destroyer of worlds

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

There’s ways to be “emotionally manipulative” in ways that aren’t going so far as to be a domestic abuser, and I’m not really going to entertain that kind of hyperbole.

I wouldn't even bring it up then, because by your logic anything that appeals to emotion is inherently manipulative. People are allowed to be mad and channel that trying to change something, especially when the majority of the fanbase are literally children. If it gets them what they want, why shouldn't that? That's how capitalism works and I'm not really sympathetic to suggesting people "tone it down" short of them being completely insane, which I admittedly haven't cared enough to look into. Dexit sucks, plain and simple, and the people aren't getting what they want. Good business gives the people what they want.

Whenever less choice is offered in how someone can play one of these games that's a bad thing, because the choice is what makes the game have longevity. If someone wants to play through with all monkeys, they should be able to. FireRed and LeafGreen were famously annoying for prohibiting trading and evolving past 151 for the first part of the game, something Emerald annoyingly followed suit on which was welcomely walked back for future titles. Ultimately these games can be pretty repetitive if you're railroaded into anything, and little separates them from similar RPGs. As my one friend said, does this sound like a game where you can "catch 'em all"?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Golden Gael posted:

I wouldn't even bring it up then, because by your logic anything that appeals to emotion is inherently manipulative. People are allowed to be mad and channel that trying to change something, especially when the majority of the fanbase are literally children. If it gets them what they want, why shouldn't that? That's how capitalism works and I'm not really sympathetic to suggesting people "tone it down" short of them being completely insane, which I admittedly haven't cared enough to look into. Dexit sucks, plain and simple, and the people aren't getting what they want. Good business gives the people what they want.

Whenever less choice is offered in how someone can play one of these games that's a bad thing, because the choice is what makes the game have longevity. If someone wants to play through with all monkeys, they should be able to. FireRed and LeafGreen were famously annoying for prohibiting trading and evolving past 151 for the first part of the game, something Emerald annoyingly followed suit on which was welcomely walked back for future titles. Ultimately these games can be pretty repetitive if you're railroaded into anything, and little separates them from similar RPGs. As my one friend said, does this sound like a game where you can "catch 'em all"?

Although if most of the fanbase are literal children right now, they probably won't have Pokémon games from before they were supposed to be born. At the absolute earliest, one can still play with Pokémon that were generated in November of 2002 (the release of Ruby and Sapphire in Japan). This decision should affect you less and less the later you've become a fan of the series.

But yeah I definitely agree with the second point. The limit on the number of species you can even bring it effects the game's replay value greatly. A lot of the old Pokémon shown off already are species I've already trained in the past. What If I wanted to go through the game with something not native? In previous games it was possible (and extremely easy to do in the 3DS games due to Wondertrade). But now? Nah.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 15, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

I think it's common enough in the mobile games that once you've activated the box that summons them, they start appearing a lot for about 30 minutes (before the box closes and you need to wait a week before you can activate it again). They can then at least be transferred over to the Let's Go games.

I'm sure that people would be willing to trade one.

Meltan, sure. Melmetal will be far more of an issue with its stupid evolution method. Making a livingdex became far harder thanks to that.

But considering the Switch's cracked open already, someone will just hack them in for the rest of us anyways. It's fine.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Meltan, sure. Melmetal will be far more of an issue with its stupid evolution method. Making a livingdex became far harder thanks to that.

But considering the Switch's cracked open already, someone will just hack them in for the rest of us anyways. It's fine.
you say that as though pokemon don't get new evolutions when the old ones become unavailable - feebas became a trade evo in 5, because contests weren't a thing

this is, of course, assuming that swsh have melmetal in the dex. If they don't, then your ONLY choice will be to capture/evolve it in pokego.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There was a survey on the pokemon subreddit about what’s your favorite pokemon and they had 52,000 people submit their favorite. Out of every pokemon available, these four pokemon had ZERO votes. They’re the bottom of the barrel. The trash. The bad of bad pokemon

Silcoon
Gothita
Eelektrik
Yungoos

(That said, each of these 4’s further evos had at least 1 vote so not a single pokemon line had 0 votes in total)

These had only 1 vote:
Exeggcute
Baltoy
Skorupi
Patrat
Sewaddle
Alomomola
Trumbeak
Cosmoem

And these are the top 10:
Charizard
Gengar
Arcanine
Bulbasaur
Blaziken
Umbreon
Lucario
Gardevoir
Eevee
Dragonite

And if you look at favorites per generation favorite count begins to tank past Gen 4.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a survey on the pokemon subreddit about what’s your favorite pokemon and they had 52,000 people submit their favorite. Out of every pokemon available, these four pokemon had ZERO votes. They’re the bottom of the barrel. The trash. The bad of bad pokemon
Japan had a similar poll - I don't believe anyone got zero votes, but simisear came in last place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And these are the top 10:
Charizard
Gengar
Arcanine
Bulbasaur
Blaziken
Umbreon