Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

There's proud deposited metal in front of the join but then a trough closer to it instead of a raised fillet, which says to me that you overheated the thinner flatbar stock starting the puddle and got overpenetration at the root. My guess would be that you focused your heat directly on the join and split the difference evenly, which is only indicated if both parts are of the same thickness and have the same geometry. You wanna dwell more on the heavier material at first and "anchor" the puddle in it, or else you'll overheat the thinner stock waiting for the thicker one to come to temp. Ideally both parts should have the same temperature colour at any given point, and will get 'greasy' + start to flow at the same instant.

I did try to start the puddle on the stock reasoning it has a lot more mass than the nut, sounds like I need to rethink that. I'll try again with thicker rods too. This is functional but I also need to start making a frame out of 13x13x3 angle and I'd like that to look neater, so more practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pimblor posted:

What would be the minimum thickness of mild steel plate you guys would consider for using as a griddle/cooking top for a gas grill? I'd like it to not warp, but I also don't want to have to use the forklift to install it? I'm thinking around half of a small bbq grill, maybe 18" x 12".

I have a piece of 1/4" thick, 18"x18", that I use as a pizza steel in my regular oven, and it hasn't warped or anything yet.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

cakesmith handyman posted:

I did try to start the puddle on the stock reasoning it has a lot more mass than the nut, sounds like I need to rethink that. I'll try again with thicker rods too. This is functional but I also need to start making a frame out of 13x13x3 angle and I'd like that to look neater, so more practice.

The barstock has more metal in it, but most of that metal doesn’t matter for our purposes because steel isn’t a great conductor of heat relatively speaking and electric welding only takes a few moments to go from cold to puddle to frozen weld. Plate is also bad at absorbing heat because so much gets lost to radiation out the two main faces as it creeps outwards through that thin metal mass. With the nut, otoh, you’ve got a big deep chunk of metal right where the weld is starting. It’s thicker than the plate through it’s ‘center of mass’. That whole quadrant of the nut will take the weld heat, and it will take more time to heat through than the plate, which we only consider a small portion of.

If I were trying to weld some bullshit like copper, you’d be on the right track, because the whole piece would aggressively soak up + internally distribute the heat and come to temp much more evenly than steel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh poo poo

So there's a new Machine Thinking out, and... it's an interview, with our very own blacksmithing goon ArtistCeleste, interwoven with footage of the folks at the Crucible in Oakland doing iron bloomery smelting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYga8cdUSnM

I had no idea my buddy was doing this. It's been ages since I last saw Celeste post in this thread, hopefully she'll come back around or something.

e. looks like ArtistCeleste was posting about doing bloomery at the crucible a couple years ago:

ArtistCeleste posted:

I will be doing it under the guidance of this guy. http://jeffpringle.com (He doesn't take a lot of pictures of his work but there is a very small sample of what he does.)

He does crucible smelts about 6-10x a year and bloomery smelts for CBA and bladesmithing events.

I am arranging for volunteer blacksmiths to help out as he has warned me it's a lot of prep work.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 15, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

honda whisperer posted:

What if you made a long version and then cut it into wafers. Could make a more difficult technique worth while if you got multiple pieces. I figure drill length would be the limiting factor. And also how the transparent material felt about bandsaws or parting tools.

isn't this how they hand make complex glass beads? fuse a bunch of rods into a mega log or something like that?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Leperflesh posted:

Oh poo poo

So there's a new Machine Thinking out, and... it's an interview, with our very own blacksmithing goon ArtistCeleste, interwoven with footage of the folks at the Crucible in Oakland doing iron bloomery smelting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYga8cdUSnM

I had no idea my buddy was doing this. It's been ages since I last saw Celeste post in this thread, hopefully she'll come back around or something.

e. looks like ArtistCeleste was posting about doing bloomery at the crucible a couple years ago:

Any time goons update certain threads with youtubes I will get the reccomendations before I see the thread. Fuckin wild

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses on the griddle steel question, next question, hot roll or cold? If I went the full size (23"x18") of the grill at 3/8ths thick and milled out some grooves on the right, say .100" deep for grill marks would that cause any warping problems?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pimblor posted:

Thanks for the responses on the griddle steel question, next question, hot roll or cold? If I went the full size (23"x18") of the grill at 3/8ths thick and milled out some grooves on the right, say .100" deep for grill marks would that cause any warping problems?

I doubt it'll matter much. Worst case one burner is on, the other is off, and it warps. Hot-roll / cold-roll probably won't change it much. Even the grooving likely won't hurt you.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cold rolled would be my preference, mill scale isn't smooth and it could flake off. If you're going to machine it, the scale is a bitch on tooling. Of course, cold rolled has more internal stress.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If you can only get hot rolled for whatever reason, soaking in vinegar (or muriatic acid, if you happen to have concrete cleaner around?) makes it easier when you try to mechanically take off the mill scale. Of course, be careful if you have to use acid. Then coat in some oil and burn it in on the grill. It owns.

And yeah, I wouldn't worry about warping too much.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If it warps, hammer it level again.

If it warps again a second time, try again with thicker steel.

Also yeah that video with Celeste owns, I was 90% sure it was her, but I got busy and forgot to post it :smith:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
All my local steel supply had was 24"x24" in 3/8" hotrolled and he wants $78 for it. Is that off the chart bad or about the ballpark?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3806076&perpage=40&pagenumber=302#post495984033

lol a goon bought the insert cutter angle grinder wheel of death

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pimblor posted:

All my local steel supply had was 24"x24" in 3/8" hotrolled and he wants $78 for it. Is that off the chart bad or about the ballpark?

I just bought 3 pcs of 1/4" plate sheared to 24"x24" and paid $96 for all 3. This came from a mid sized regional supply house.

$78 for a single piece, of 3/8", seems not unreasonable for a local steel supplier.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
So I bought a milling machine last week. It is an Index 55, Im not sure if it's a Super 55 because I'm not sure what designates that yet tbh. It was dusty, dirty, greasy, full of mouse nests, and unused for the past 15 years. I bought it from the old owner's grandson. It is missing a few parts that are easily replaced, namely the motor that drives the table feed gearbox and some covers/guards. As you'll see in the pictures, the wiring is atrocious and I will be addressing that as well.

Here is a dump of pictures from picking it up at the seller's house and partway through a speedrun cleanup that I'm doing a few hours a day after work. I am not doing a full restoration on it because honestly I don't need shiny paint, I just need it to work. Ways are in good shape with some wear but most of the scraping is visible. This thing has zerk fittings all over it for lubrication. Some are for oil, some are for grease. The PO put grease in all of them, so I had a fun time cleaning petrified grease out of all the oil passages. I put the table back on last night but didn't take any pictures because I was tired and forgot. I'll do another megapost once it is all done.

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 19, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I can see the half moon flaking. Those are IIRC .001" deep when made. At least the idiotic use of grease didn't cause any galling.

As for myself, not much been on vacation. Last night I turned a screw with a flange. Replacement adjustement screw for the tapered gib in the deckel.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

This time I'm thinking real stuff - Mizzou or Kast-o-lite. Going tilting pour design so that it's not as much of pain to operate as it would be with 300 pounds of crucible to lift out, lol

Have you plans or a design inspiration for the tilting foundry? There was a video on yt I saw with a smallish one but I can’t find it now.

Edit: didn’t find the video but I think this is the same foundry they used which is about the right size for ‘home’ use.
https://www.flamefast.co.uk/cm450-safety-tilt-crucible-furnace.html

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 20, 2019

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Backstory. I'm getting into metal working. I've barely started, I bought a single burner hells forge and I've been messing with rebar and leaf spring steel to make blades. Unfortunately I'm getting old, I have noodle arms, and health issues have made it real hard to swing a hammer for long periods of time. So I bought this thing. It was 50 bucks off full price so I figured I could make some use of it. Would it be possible to hook up a more "automatic" jack for shaping and possibly layering steel together?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

LegoMan posted:

Backstory. I'm getting into metal working. I've barely started, I bought a single burner hells forge and I've been messing with rebar and leaf spring steel to make blades. Unfortunately I'm getting old, I have noodle arms, and health issues have made it real hard to swing a hammer for long periods of time. So I bought this thing. It was 50 bucks off full price so I figured I could make some use of it. Would it be possible to hook up a more "automatic" jack for shaping and possibly layering steel together?

Take a look at what this guy did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC63WyaoXN0

Also maybe think about building a power hammer.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i was looking around this metalsmith's old website http://transitforge.com/ and he's done a couple Art Treadle Hammers that are blowing my mind. only tiny pics unfort. this one's my favourite

:allears: i dont know how well it works but also i do not care

Like one of these? :D page 316 of this thread has some other ideas as well.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 20, 2019

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Ok you salty veterans will laugh at my sketch but this is the idea I had. I'm going to flip the springs so they're pulling downward with a cable attached to a (I think it's called da vinci wheel) wheel on a gear reduced motor. My anvil I can move into and out of place and secure it to the frame.

I mean at the very least it might be fun to build. If I start from scratch wife will wonder why I bought the press frame.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Like one of these? :D page 316 of this thread has some other ideas as well.

I think by the time I'm good enough to build anything close to that I'd have a very nice one already :)

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

LegoMan posted:

harbor freight sells a compressed air actuated bottle jack that you can adapt to that for more automatic control.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-over-hydraulic-jack-95553.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-air-hydraulic-bottle-jack-94487.html

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

iForge posted:

harbor freight sells a compressed air actuated bottle jack that you can adapt to that for more automatic control.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-over-hydraulic-jack-95553.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-air-hydraulic-bottle-jack-94487.html

If my new plan (Not the one I posted earlier) for a power hammer doesn't pan out I'll try that. Would that work for shaping stuff?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

LegoMan posted:

If my new plan (Not the one I posted earlier) for a power hammer doesn't pan out I'll try that. Would that work for shaping stuff?

It will be slower than a power hammer for sure but it will have enough power for forging. Someone on youtube probably has a video of one in operation, start there and see if it will be fast enough for what you need. Phone posting or i'd find one for you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Ok you salty veterans will laugh at my sketch but this is the idea I had. I'm going to flip the springs so they're pulling downward with a cable attached to a (I think it's called da vinci wheel) wheel on a gear reduced motor. My anvil I can move into and out of place and secure it to the frame.

I mean at the very least it might be fun to build. If I start from scratch wife will wonder why I bought the press frame.

My main issue with this setup is it's a fail-down rather than fail-up design: e.g., if the motor loses power or the cable snaps or a pulley comes off or whatever, it slams closed instead of opens up. Machines wherever possible should "fail safe."

Secondarily, I'd be worried about using a cable vs. a solid linkage, as it gets going you may get slack in the cable at certain points in the cycle.

Tertiarily (is that a word?) I think this makes for a hammer that slows down as it approaches bottom, speeds up on the up stroke, slows at the top, speeds up on the down, and slows again as it gets to bottom. Very not ideal for slamming the weight down on your work. But I suspect that can be solved by using some kind of ellipse rather than a circle on the motor.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

My main issue with this setup is it's a fail-down rather than fail-up design: e.g., if the motor loses power or the cable snaps or a pulley comes off or whatever, it slams closed instead of opens up. Machines wherever possible should "fail safe."

Secondarily, I'd be worried about using a cable vs. a solid linkage, as it gets going you may get slack in the cable at certain points in the cycle.

Tertiarily (is that a word?) I think this makes for a hammer that slows down as it approaches bottom, speeds up on the up stroke, slows at the top, speeds up on the down, and slows again as it gets to bottom. Very not ideal for slamming the weight down on your work. But I suspect that can be solved by using some kind of ellipse rather than a circle on the motor.

Thanks for the advice. I really want to use this frame but it might not be feasible. I've changed the design in my head to have the motor mounted at the top, using a lift and drop method with solid rods doing the holding instead of a cable.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Best homebrew forging press I've seen is just one of those firewood splitter rams with some custom dies on the business end.

It wasn't ideal, but it moved quick and had enough force to do some decent work. Not like a proper press, of course, but it worked well enough for a home gamer like ourselves.

You could probably just go to princess Auto or harbor freight and diy a power pack, ram, plumbing, and control valves with a frame that would be more useful for forge work. The open area under the ram is not really great for forging.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh also please don't build a power hammer out of a hydraulic press frame. You need mass, both for your striking anvil, and so it doesn't walk across your shop floor when you turn on the reciprocating arm. Power hammers strike with a lot of force quickly, it will shear the pins holding the work area in place or bend the crossarm that sits on them.

Build a frame from scrap or fresh structural steel and fill the static bits with sand whenever possible to make it as massive as possible.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Slung Blade posted:

Oh also please don't build a power hammer out of a hydraulic press frame. You need mass, both for your striking anvil, and so it doesn't walk across your shop floor when you turn on the reciprocating arm. Power hammers strike with a lot of force quickly, it will shear the pins holding the work area in place or bend the crossarm that sits on them.

Build a frame from scrap or fresh structural steel and fill the static bits with sand whenever possible to make it as massive as possible.

Every idea in my head gets thrown out after about a day's thought. The anvil itself is mounted on a block of wood that weighs something like 100 lbs, was going to move it into place when I wanted to do power hammering. However, the more I look at the frame I"m coming around to it being worthless for a power hammer frame. It was "open box" so I'm not even sure I can bring it back although harbor freight does have a good return policy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey don't get rid of it, presses are useful tools for all kinds of things.

And don't get discouraged, always be tinkering, find new stuff to cobble together into something you can use!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah a press is a very useful blacksmithing tool anyway. Sometimes you want to squish instead of pound!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Have you plans or a design inspiration for the tilting foundry? There was a video on yt I saw with a smallish one but I can’t find it now.

Edit: didn’t find the video but I think this is the same foundry they used which is about the right size for ‘home’ use.
https://www.flamefast.co.uk/cm450-safety-tilt-crucible-furnace.html

A bit late... Chastain's "Build an Oil Fired Tilting Furnace" was the initial inspiration, but I really like oil burners using positive displacement pumps, and I see no reason not to just scale it up. Maybe hydraulics or gears instead of the cable winch he designed around, changes like that.

Progress is slow given new kid and other stuff going on, but I think it's a good path forwards.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My new anvil, a little 22 pounder arrives Monday. I'm hype as gently caress.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

MohawkSatan posted:

My new anvil, a little 22 pounder arrives Monday. I'm hype as gently caress.

That's awesome! I found a small ASO on craigslist for $50 but made from railroad steel that has worked for me, but it's been abused.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I was walking through a small town yesterday with a friend and spotted about 80 ft of abandoned railroad steel, just sitting there along side an active train track. I stared at it wistfully as my friends dragged me away :sigh:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I mean, by the same token, I drove past a metal supplier and saw a lot of steel that wasn't being used either?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
What kind of work are you doing with such small anvils? Are you securing them to a really heavy base?

The two my buddy and I have in our forging/blacksmithing setup are 150lb and ~145lb, so I'm not entirely sure what you'd do with something less than 1/5th the size? I know you can get really small ones (like 2-5lb) for jewelry making...

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kenshin posted:

What kind of work are you doing with such small anvils? Are you securing them to a really heavy base?

The two my buddy and I have in our forging/blacksmithing setup are 150lb and ~145lb, so I'm not entirely sure what you'd do with something less than 1/5th the size? I know you can get really small ones (like 2-5lb) for jewelry making...

Well, considering the chunk of railroad track I had before was less than half the weight, and I live on an island where getting stuff shipped to me is a bitch, it's going to be a general use anvil. Knives, tools, what ever someone asks for that I have the skill and equipment to make.

A heavier one would have been nice, but just the ferry to and from the mainland would add $180, and considering I made a grand total of $9600 last year, that's a prohibitive cost. And also more than I paid for the 22 pounder, with shipping and tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Well, considering the chunk of railroad track I had before was less than half the weight, and I live on an island where getting stuff shipped to me is a bitch, it's going to be a general use anvil. Knives, tools, what ever someone asks for that I have the skill and equipment to make.

A heavier one would have been nice, but just the ferry to and from the mainland would add $180, and considering I made a grand total of $9600 last year, that's a prohibitive cost. And also more than I paid for the 22 pounder, with shipping and tax.

That makes complete sense.

I get confused in this thread full of people talking about restoring huge antique machines