Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a survey on the pokemon subreddit about what’s your favorite pokemon and they had 52,000 people submit their favorite. Out of every pokemon available, these four pokemon had ZERO votes. They’re the bottom of the barrel. The trash. The bad of bad pokemon

Silcoon
Gothita
Eelektrik
Yungoos

(That said, each of these 4’s further evos had at least 1 vote so not a single pokemon line had 0 votes in total)

These had only 1 vote:
Exeggcute
Baltoy
Skorupi
Patrat
Sewaddle
Alomomola
Trumbeak
Cosmoem

And these are the top 10:
Charizard
Gengar
Arcanine
Bulbasaur
Blaziken
Umbreon
Lucario
Gardevoir
Eevee
Dragonite

And if you look at favorites per generation favorite count begins to tank past Gen 4.

Wait Sewaddle seriously only got one?

Like not my favourite but they're up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Winklebottom posted:

what the hell do people see in Lucario

it vexes me

Furry Goku

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Winklebottom posted:

it vexes me

Furries. See Lycanroc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

it vexes me

It's a conventionally badass-looking canine Pokemon that had a major role in one of the movies. It would be odd if it didn't have fans.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait Sewaddle seriously only got one?

Like not my favourite

You just answered your own question.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Winklebottom posted:

it vexes me
its good furrybait, it starred in one of the better pokemon movies, it has really good stats/typing, and it's one of the few non-legendaries to get aura-sphere, a really good special fighting type move.

really, it getting a mega-evo in gen 6 was just overkill

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There's a world of possibilities between "completely bespoke animations for every attack for every pokemon" and "literally just moving the model in its idle animation up and down twice for Double Kick"

Personally I've always been fine with the 3DS level, final forms generally have a Physical and Special attack animation and if you check the animations in the 'dex most have 3 different things. Giving guys with unique attacks that only they can learn a special animation for that specifically doesn't seem too unreasonable, stuff like Volcanion's Steam Eruption effect being set up so it looks like it's coming out of the tubes.

Not being able to go on an adventure with Shroomish or whatever if I wanted to do that sucks. I have a friend who's favourite pokemon is Poplio and afaik the Gen 1 starters are the only starters to ever show up in another game's national dex? Based on every single pokemon game that's ever been released they won't get to use Poplio in an actual game outside of Sun and Moon ever again with our current understanding of the policy.

Blaziken386 posted:

its good furrybait, it starred in one of the better pokemon movies, it has really good stats/typing, and it's one of the few non-legendaries to get aura-sphere, a really good special fighting type move.

really, it getting a mega-evo in gen 6 was just overkill

Lucario mechanically is a top-tier pokemon, the mega-evo even more so. it's design is pretty standard furry stuff and yeah, it got its own movie, it would be impossible to have it not be super popular. I just hate its stupid mouth and stupid head polyps. Mega-Lucario's appearance doesn't offend me like the base one for some reason. I think its the weird head things being gone?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Lucario mechanically is a top-tier pokemon, the mega-evo even more so. it's design is pretty standard furry stuff and yeah, it got its own movie, it would be impossible to have it not be super popular. I just hate its stupid mouth and stupid head polyps. Mega-Lucario's appearance doesn't offend me like the base one for some reason. I think its the weird head things being gone?

if you hate lucario's head polyps how do you feel about cynthia

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And these are the top 10:
Charizard
Gengar
Arcanine
Bulbasaur
Blaziken
Umbreon
Lucario
Gardevoir
Eevee
Dragonite

And if you look at favorites per generation favorite count begins to tank past Gen 4.

As an old school red and blue player I say this truly: The obsession with Gen 1 is out of loving control.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Not being able to go on an adventure with Shroomish or whatever if I wanted to do that sucks. I have a friend who's favourite pokemon is Poplio and afaik the Gen 1 starters are the only starters to ever show up in another game's national dex? Based on every single pokemon game that's ever been released they won't get to use Poplio in an actual game outside of Sun and Moon ever again with our current understanding of the policy.
The Kanto starters, the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, and Meltan plus Melmetal are the only starters or legendaries which appear in a regional dex outside their own. Even Deoxys, which was ostensibly a Kanto Pokemon when first revealed, did not get appended to the Kanto dex the way Meltan and Melmetal were.

Event Pokemon like Torchic or Greninja, despite being publicly available upon a game's release, are similarly not in the regional dexes of these regions. Heatran, who shows up wherever the hell he or she likes in the post game of at least three regions, does not have a home in a regional Pokedex.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

looking deep inside myself I decided that I'd probably have voted for Torterra

all the turtle pokemon in general are great

okay maybe blastoise could use another design pass

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blaziken386 posted:

if you hate lucario's head polyps how do you feel about cynthia

I do my best to pretend they're a really weird hairpin or something. As long as I don't see 'em jiggling I'm good.

The Golden Gael posted:

The Kanto starters, the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, and Meltan plus Melmetal are the only starters or legendaries which appear in a regional dex outside their own. Even Deoxys, which was ostensibly a Kanto Pokemon when first revealed, did not get appended to the Kanto dex the way Meltan and Melmetal were.

Event Pokemon like Torchic or Greninja, despite being publicly available upon a game's release, are similarly not in the regional dexes of these regions. Heatran, who shows up wherever the hell he or she likes in the post game of at least three regions, does not have a home in a regional Pokedex.

Second favourite is Meloetta so now they're even more drangled than ever before.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's probably the hardest thing in the world to get really because unlike Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, and I think a few others...it's not replenishable in any way. There are a finite number of legitimate Meloetta in existence, if you really care about that sort of thing.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Golden Gael posted:

It's probably the hardest thing in the world to get really because unlike Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, and I think a few others...it's not replenishable in any way. There are a finite number of legitimate Meloetta in existence, if you really care about that sort of thing.

I'm surprised that after all these years there's still Pokemon I'm pretty confident that I've never seen before

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The Golden Gael posted:

someone's made a dummy version of the pokemon nintendo WFC for the gen 4/5 games, with a bunch of events going on at once. So long as you don't mind playing with the RNG to get the meloetta event, you can get a meloetta that's indistinguishable from the "legit" event ones. But yeah, if you really care about the pokemon being as legitimate as possible, mythical pokemon suck. Most of them seem like they're just thrown in for no reason, as well.

(you do need an unencrypted/WEP wifi to get the gen 4 events though)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
How the gently caress does this Pokemon cleaning thing work? My Pikipek has schmutz on it, but when I drag the towel down onto it nothing happens

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress does this Pokemon cleaning thing work? My Pikipek has schmutz on it, but when I drag the towel down onto it nothing happens
each tool does a different thing
the brush is for brushing off dirt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Blaziken386 posted:

each tool does a different thing
the brush is for brushing off dirt

WRONG! The brush is for dusting off sand. The towel is for wiping off dirt. And neither of them work. I've tried every tool and they just vanish when I drag them out of the drawer

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm forcing my way through X with a team of the absolute best because I realized I've never finished the pair more than once each. It drags a bit but I really could see this being great with the Platinum treatment.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Gripweed posted:

WRONG! The brush is for dusting off sand. The towel is for wiping off dirt. And neither of them work. I've tried every tool and they just vanish when I drag them out of the drawer

In my experience the touch screen can be kinda fiddly. You might have to try a couple times for the tool to actually stay with you out of the box.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

As an old school red and blue player I say this truly: The obsession with Gen 1 is out of loving control.

:same: I technically started with Yellow back in June 2000.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I played that one too. I am literally a pokemon Grandma and I look at my peers and wonder what ever loving gently caress happened sometimes. Gen1 is fine, it's not great it's not terrible it's a first go into a new series and it's got some good ones and some stinkers in it. I genuinely can't fathom people looking at the cool poo poo we got in later Gens and snubbing it because it's not a loving Charizard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No gen 1 pokemon cracks my top 5. One probably makes it into my top 10 but nothing about the original 151 taken as a whole is particularly noteworthy. There's some standouts but no more than in other gens

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Typholsion is my favourite because Im a fake fan irl

Also who can forget: TRASH AND ICE CREAM BAD, GEN 1 BEST ORIGINAL DESIGN

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 15, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shuckle is my number 1 outside of Gen 1. Lapras is my favorite Gen 1 closely followed by Porygon and Magnemite but only because their latte gens evos kick rear end (Porygon-Z and Magnezone)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s me. I’m the one stuck in Gen 1 nostalgia. I’ve played every generation since, but I’m still chasing that high I got the first time I played Red. I liked the barely there plot compared to Sun/Moon making it feel like I’m just along for the ride in someone else’s story.

A lot of the Pokémon designs from Gen 1 haven’t aged well, but Raichu, the Charmander and Bulbasaur lines, Mew and Mewtwo will always be my favorites from any generation.

Edit: How dare I forget Lapras. Psychic/Surf/Ice Beam/Blizzard

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 15, 2019

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gen 1 is the Sonic 06 of Pokemon in terms of glitches

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The only people that don't like Gen 1 are the weird Pokefans. You're literally the weird Pokemon Trainers in the games. Literally.

Gen 2 has the best designs tho.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gen 2 did have some good designs. My latest play through of Silver stalled at like the second gym though, and I just sent them all up to Ultra Moon. It’s been pretty fun so far playing it with a team of Gen 2 mons with their hidden abilities.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

The closest I've felt to something recapturing the RBY magic was with Black. Sapphire had a similar sensation initially, but I think that's because it remained mostly fresh and divorced from Kanto. Callbacks were mostly to Johto, and the only cross-generation relatives were Johto as well. I'd take BW's less overt callbacks to hamfisted poo poo like Mewtwo at the end of a hallway.

Megas and new evolutions are cool, but only if they're not to the exclusion of the other generations. This is why I'm glad Hoenn got its due with the megas, and why it sucks that so many monsters will be relegated to the dustbin again. Oh well, maybe they'll give base Mawile Huge Power to compensate.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Shuckle is my number 1 outside of Gen 1. Lapras is my favorite Gen 1 closely followed by Porygon and Magnemite but only because their latte gens evos kick rear end (Porygon-Z and Magnezone)

Magnezone is not great and I don't let my Magnetons ever evolve

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Typholsion is my favourite because Im a fake fan irl

Also who can forget: TRASH AND ICE CREAM BAD, GEN 1 BEST ORIGINAL DESIGN

Every time I hear someone bitching about that, part of my soul shrivels up and dies.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Gen 1 is the Sonic 06 of Pokemon in terms of glitches
gen 1 is perfectly solid unless you deliberate look up how to break it

contrast gen 6 "don't save in lumiose or you'll corrupt your save"

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gen 1 is a least more interesting to play than Gen 2 since it has a bunch of weird stuff. But so many Pokemon have depressingly awful movesets and the AI is completely braindead. Also there's like 20 trainers in every route and it is a real slog sometimes. Still, for what it offered at the time, it's amazing it works as well as it does.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

Gen 1 is a least more interesting to play than Gen 2 since it has a bunch of weird stuff. But so many Pokemon have depressingly awful movesets and the AI is completely braindead. Also there's like 20 trainers in every route and it is a real slog sometimes. Still, for what it offered at the time, it's amazing it works as well as it does.

I agree. I had a lot more fun with Yellow than with Crystal when I replayed them before XY came out.

Yellow is probably more fun overall than its remakes too, since it's just weird enough to be interesting. The remakes normalize them without actually adding modern content, turning them mediocre.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s me. I’m the one stuck in Gen 1 nostalgia. I’ve played every generation since, but I’m still chasing that high I got the first time I played Red. I liked the barely there plot compared to Sun/Moon making it feel like I’m just along for the ride in someone else’s story.

A lot of the Pokémon designs from Gen 1 haven’t aged well, but Raichu, the Charmander and Bulbasaur lines, Mew and Mewtwo will always be my favorites from any generation.

Edit: How dare I forget Lapras. Psychic/Surf/Ice Beam/Blizzard

You will literally never get that high again bc you aren't 6 anymore

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most of the weight behind gen 1 literally is just nostalgia. there's so much that it's coagulated into a solid, crystalline lump that coats everything it touches. you will never recapture any specific 'magic' there was when you first played red or blue or yellow. it was a weird experiment that ended up successful enough to have a decades-spanning run of endless sequels, a card game, and a currently long-running anime series including like 20+ movies. there is no point in this media giant that someone is going to be able to relive the actual experience they had playing gen 1 on an old gameboy color without a backlit screen that led to them now growing a specific section of their brain that holds information about like 800+ creatures now according to studies.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
For real, Pokemon Yellow/Gen 2 is one of the high points in my life. I was also recovering from spinal surgery at the time and felt like poo poo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

gen 1 is perfectly solid unless you deliberate look up how to break it

contrast gen 6 "don't save in lumiose or you'll corrupt your save"

This isn't quite true; I appeased Mama Marowak with a Poke Doll instead of the Silph Scope in my first playthrough as a little kid, and I've heard I wasn't the only one.

Not to mention things like 1/256 miss chances and Ghost-type moves doing no damage to Psychic-types instead of double damage.

Edit: And Surfing/fishing in statues, which as a kid I always assumed was intentional, like the statutes were supposed to be hollow and full of water for some reason.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver2195 posted:

This isn't quite true; I appeased Mama Marowak with a Poke Doll instead of the Silph Scope in my first playthrough as a little kid, and I've heard I wasn't the only one.

You definitely are not. I was convinced that was the right way to do it until I learned otherwise. It even made some degree of thematic sense!