Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Haven’t used any high end prem players but FB Perisic and Nainggolan are reliable as hell for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
they just released an sbc for a guaranteed bpl tots player and i did it using almost entirely untradeables i had sitting around and uh well:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Nice pull!

I balked at the 86 rating at first but unless ya get Maddison/Doherty it’s probably fair

With only one sbc per league I guess it’s this and bundes for me

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol of course it’s Maddison

gently caress pack weight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I got Aubameyang so idk what everyone is complaining about.......

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

TOTS has treated me well. Doing the upgrade packs I've netted Sommer and Schultz. And just completed the guaranteed TOTS SBC and packed Reus!

Tzen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 28, 2019

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I ain’t got poo poo!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I mean I actually got sbc VVD which owns but I’d rather trade him for someone from a league I use

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-19/news/pitch-notes-gameplay-beyond-fifa-19

this all sounds pretty good and the fact that we're getting an in depth article like this before the game has even been shown publicly is pretty unusual. of course, its all talk at this point, but if they get most of those issues nailed down fifa 20 could be pretty good.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm going to keep playing tekken

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to something that isnt this loving game at least!

When FIFA is good it's my favorite sports game so I really just hope that it doesn't keep getting worse

Those changes all sound good, I hope it's a good game because this one is not.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 31, 2019

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Seltzer posted:

I'm going to keep playing tekken

toxx?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I wonder how much of the total annual cost of developing/maintaining the FIFA franchise is just the licensing cost. Not that I know much about game development, but if quality and enjoyment of the game were the priority, I would imagine that selling the base game once, turning online modes with continuous development like FUT into a WoW like subscription model to generate predictable cash flows and just pushing out transfers/player stat changes as regular content patches would work well. It’d take out the stress of creating a new game that has to outsell the last game every year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Considering they don’t really make a new game each year (just slightly tweak things and roll out the same poo poo annually), I’d say the majority of the cost is licensing related.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last Fifa I spent at least a hundred hours in was 17. 18 wasn't my jam and 19 was kinda meh since I got tired of FUT on 17 and offline modes aren't fun if the actual gameplay isn't. Sad thing is that not even PES is doing any better so I even had to undust my Fifa 13 (lol) copy on my 360 to play some matches in the last three or four months.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

RCarr posted:

Considering they don’t really make a new game each year (just slightly tweak things and roll out the same poo poo annually), I’d say the majority of the cost is licensing related.

Yeah but every year they seem to manage to break FUT and create a “meta” mechanic that gets abused/becomes the only way to reach your personal skill cap, so they must be doing something and it seems like the never test the game properly.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
What I've realized playing this version of FIFA is it's the worst version I've played that I can remember that awards poor play and punishes good play.

Basically, if you play like an idiot who forces the ball forward and nail down long shots you have success. Long rear end shots go in all the time in the stupidest way. If you try to play from the back and play a passing game and get the ball in the box to score the game forces stupid fake tackles and miracle bullshit.

I hate it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea i feel the same way. I grinded for so long to have a good FUT team and now I’m so burnt out I don’t even play anymore.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The game is poo poo because it’s fundamentally reliant on automated processes that neither player controls

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also due to rubber banding that ea implements but that’s just par for the course for them

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

Yea i feel the same way. I grinded for so long to have a good FUT team and now I’m so burnt out I don’t even play anymore.

Aside from the many other reasons i hate the disgusting glut of special cards this year.... it was definitely designed to have players continually chasing a better team moreso than ever.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol I just lost a game 6-5 in extra time where I only allowed 4 shots on target compared to my 18

Guess I deserved it starting David de gea

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

What I've realized playing this version of FIFA is it's the worst version I've played that I can remember that awards poor play and punishes good play.

Basically, if you play like an idiot who forces the ball forward and nail down long shots you have success. Long rear end shots go in all the time in the stupidest way. If you try to play from the back and play a passing game and get the ball in the box to score the game forces stupid fake tackles and miracle bullshit.

I hate it.

yea this is why I hate it too basically I play mostly on careful passing and buildup and poo poo and this is absolutely not rewarded this year, especially when the 1 on 1s are so poo poo

haven't touched the game since like december and normally I'm playing until like I dunno around this time of the year before I take a break

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Aside from the many other reasons i hate the disgusting glut of special cards this year.... it was definitely designed to have players continually chasing a better team moreso than ever.

i've come around on this, the top players are all using broadly the same 15 or so players and have been for ages but for everyone else theres just a glut of cool, useful cards from all over the place, even before TOTS. I mean if you look at my teams that i've linked here, i've got these insane multicolored teams with all sorts of different random players from sbcs or special card releases or whatever.

the amount and variety of high end cards available means that rarely do you see the same sorts of teams more than once aside from the super top end prime icon + toty stuff, but even those are changing now that the various tots players are coming out. Like suddenly Havertz is one of the 5 most desirable cards in the game and all the pros are using him as a sub or a starter in tournaments. I constantly see interesting or cool hybrids, everyone trying to fit in players they're getting from weekend league reds now that TOTS has started, like take for example my 2nd squad:

I got telles from rewards and then Da Costa untradeable from upgrades and those are drat near the two best lb/rbs in the game so I had to gently caress with my team heavily to fit them in, and EVERYONE is doing this, and the variety of strong cards from various promos in every league makes creating strong, viable, interesting teams around amazing untradeables totally realistic for most players.

Anyway, as bad as fifa 19 is on the gameplay front (although its significantly better now than it was a few months ago), the 'menu content', sbcs, special card releases, promos, etc, has been pretty drat excellent.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I started doing the UEFA marquee matchups SBCs but now all rare UCL players are extinct :-/

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The system works! :downs:

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
the game continues to own on the pro clubs front

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Behold: my almost final FUT team

e: I was hoping for Jesus Navas RWB red and got him. Also got Cazorla red who slots in quite nicely as right side CM

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 7, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The official FIFA 20 reveal will be soon but it is confirmed that there will be a 3v3 street mode called Volta Football

https://youtu.be/9E4HMgh7ZsE

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

The official FIFA 20 reveal will be soon but it is confirmed that there will be a 3v3 street mode called Volta Football

https://youtu.be/9E4HMgh7ZsE

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-20/volta?utm_campaign=fifa20_hd_ww_ic_soco_yt_fifa-20-v-ytd-080619

fucccccccccccccck just when i wanted to stop playing this franchise. 5 v 5 and futsal modes as well

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-19/news/pitch-notes-fifa-20-gameplay-follow-up

the actual important stuff

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can’t wait to see what they break!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Street mode and fustal are two things that may push me to play fifa again since I've been a 80% offline player the last two years. Feels weird to be hyped!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I decided to play a weekend league just for shits and man now that everyone has like all the exploits for this year ingrained it's insane how trash the game is

Like okay sometimes a game doesn't ship great that's whatever, this game has had like 7 patches and 1 on 1s are a complete crapshoot still rofl

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 15, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I legitimately believe EA breaks FIFA games on purpose over the summer to make the new game seem better. One-on-ones and player ai are worse now than they were at launch.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 15, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because I genuinely don't care how I do at all so I really shouldn't tilt but the results are so egregious I got mad and had to stop for a bit, haha

I just have exactly the wrong play style for this year, I love to do like careful buildups with maybe risky moves at the end where it's like ok if this works I'm gonna be through on goal for a 99% shot, except this year those are like 50% shots even if they are 2 feet away so it's just the perfect storm for me to end up mad lol

So like I just bang a few off the post with like a card with 95+ finishing followed my opponents just spamming the one-timed finesse shots from outside the box that go in insanely often, and the ball bouncing back to them 2-3 times on defense, etc

Anyway bring on 20!!

I noticed that also they're introducing timed shooting for free kicks next year. I kinda like that! I'm probably in the minority that I don't mind timed finishing being in the game, I think it's good that they're making the risk/reward profile for them worse, but I kinda think like free kicks are so RNG based currently that having a timed finish element actually sorta makes sense for that spot to add some skill to it?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 16, 2019

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, game’s trash

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The only good game mode left is pro clubs but no fucker plays pro clubs on PC which is the only format where you're not stuck paying 60 bucks every 12 months just to play a game with one good game mode (sidenote: origin access is somehow insanely good value, nobody tell them)

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Vando posted:

The only good game mode is pro clubs

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup