Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Violet_Sky posted:

Also who can forget: TRASH AND ICE CREAM BAD, GEN 1 BEST ORIGINAL DESIGN

So I have a well reasoned and nuanced viewpoint that is sadly lacking in the marketplace of ideas:
Ice cream good. Trash also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nth Doctor posted:

So I have a well reasoned and nuanced viewpoint that is sadly lacking in the marketplace of ideas:
Ice cream good. Trash also good.

:haibrow:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Gen 1 had some home-run designs: the starters (but not necessarily all of their evolutions), Pikachu, Meowth, Psyduck, Fearow, Dragonair. On the other hand, it also gave us Seel/Dewgong, Grimer/Muk, and OG blackface Jynx. In conclusion, Kanto is a land of contrasts. :v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Silver2195 posted:

Gen 1 had some home-run designs: the starters (but not necessarily all of their evolutions), Pikachu, Meowth, Psyduck, Fearow, Dragonair. On the other hand, it also gave us Seel/Dewgong, Grimer/Muk, and OG blackface Jynx. In conclusion, Kanto is a land of contrasts. :v:

Kanto Golem was a huge miss. Gengar tho :kiss:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

i will hear no words against dewgong

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Silver2195 posted:

This isn't quite true; I appeased Mama Marowak with a Poke Doll instead of the Silph Scope in my first playthrough as a little kid, and I've heard I wasn't the only one.

Not to mention things like 1/256 miss chances and Ghost-type moves doing no damage to Psychic-types instead of double damage.

Edit: And Surfing/fishing in statues, which as a kid I always assumed was intentional, like the statutes were supposed to be hollow and full of water for some reason.

No kid knew that the random misses weren't supposed to happen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s me. I’m the one stuck in Gen 1 nostalgia. I’ve played every generation since, but I’m still chasing that high I got the first time I played Red. I liked the barely there plot compared to Sun/Moon making it feel like I’m just along for the ride in someone else’s story.

A lot of the Pokémon designs from Gen 1 haven’t aged well, but Raichu, the Charmander and Bulbasaur lines, Mew and Mewtwo will always be my favorites from any generation.

Edit: How dare I forget Lapras. Psychic/Surf/Ice Beam/Blizzard

Black and White recaptured that magic for me. Probably because there are no older Pokemon until the post-game. That moment when you step outside the grass in the first town, you were guaranteed to run into something you'd never seen before! I never had that feeling since the original games.

That was the good poo poo. The games should force people to make new friends more often. People who only ever use their favorites in every single game are weird and boring.

Just look at Corviknight! He is my perfect son. I will be mad as hell if he outright replaces my boy Skarmory, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jazerus posted:

i will hear no words against dewgong

It barely looks distinct from Seel (especially since the Gen 1 sprites obscure Dewgong's fused tail, and their lack of coloration makes Seel's brown maw hard to notice; the main difference between them appears to be the pose, including Seel sticking its tongue out for some reason). And there's not much distinguishing them from actual seals either, just a tiny little horn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Over an hour into Pokemon Moon, and I still haven't started on my Pokemon adventure. I'm on my way to Trainer school. Cutscenes, a crazy long tutorial section, is Pokemon Moon the Final Fantasy XIII of Pokemon?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I don't wanna get caught up on the last five pages, but I know which pokemon is the most boring and shittiest.

It is Ducklett. Ducklett is a duck, but blue. Ducklett is very cute, but that is because ducks themselves are cute.

Oh, and black and white 2 are the best pokemon games. There were the apex of 2-D sprites and they still look better than the 3d models imo.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 16, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

Over an hour into Pokemon Moon, and I still haven't started on my Pokemon adventure. I'm on my way to Trainer school. Cutscenes, a crazy long tutorial section, is Pokemon Moon the Final Fantasy XIII of Pokemon?

No, Pokemon Moon is actually good. In fact, it's very good. That alone separates it from Final Fantasy XIII.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

And there's not much distinguishing them from actual seals either, just a tiny little horn.

on the other hand, Wooloo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gripweed posted:

think of trainer school as "the first gym but not really" - it's less "hburr fire is super effective on grass" and more "go fight some easy trainers then a less easy one"

the first island in general is kinda tutorial-y, but after that? eh.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Golden Gael posted:

on the other hand, Wooloo

Wooloo, in addition to being much rounder than an actual sheep, has braids. Also, it's a lot cuter than Dewgong.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

YOURFRIEND posted:

I don't wanna get caught up on the last five pages, but I know which pokemon is the most boring and shittiest.

It is Ducklett.

you belong at the bottom of a trash heap

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Gen VII is the best one of the gens imqvho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
SM takes a while to start but it's pretty good after it does. USUM is way better about it but storywise it's not as good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

What, a gen that recycles cursed Gen 1 Pokemon? You're insane.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dias posted:

What, a gen that recycles cursed Gen 1 Pokemon? You're insane.

but finally they gave Raichu the love it deserves!!! except even that is not enough to me, a Raichu-liker

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

indigi posted:

It really is. SM has the most enjoyable characters/plot of the series, and while USUM trims back some of that (I'll never forgive them for taking away the cute cutscene on the exeggutor island), it has move tutors spaced throughout the game + actually fun minigames to earn BP (not that you really need it, if you have a fair amount in pokebank, but still nice)

my only real complaints are the fact that there's a bunch of new pokemon, but a good third of them are either locked behind 5% encounter rates or obnoxious poo poo like mareanie, and the call for help mechanic being far too OP for regular wild battles (especially because you can't catch one pokemon when there's two on the field, god knows why)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Beldums catch rate is super bad. That was my hardest catch in Moon.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is there any “weird” stuff in Gen 1? I’m ok with saying it was better than Gen 2 or whatever, but “weirder” is surely not how I’d put it.

e: I’m referring to the discussion on the previous page

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vegetable posted:

How is there any “weird” stuff in Gen 1? I’m ok with saying it was better than Gen 2 or whatever, but “weirder” is surely not how I’d put it.

There's a lot of glitches.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

It really is. SM has the most enjoyable characters/plot of the series, and while USUM trims back some of that (I'll never forgive them for taking away the cute cutscene on the exeggutor island), it has move tutors spaced throughout the game + actually fun minigames to earn BP (not that you really need it, if you have a fair amount in pokebank, but still nice)

my only real complaints are the fact that there's a bunch of new pokemon, but a good third of them are either locked behind 5% encounter rates or obnoxious poo poo like mareanie, and the call for help mechanic being far too OP for regular wild battles (especially because you can't catch one pokemon when there's two on the field, god knows why)

Yeah I noticed getting new pokemon in that game was weirdly ridiculously hard. It took me over two days to catch a Mimikyu for fucksakes and that's one of the more popular ones. Don't even get me started on Dhelmise's flavor of horseshit. That 5% catch rate can gently caress right off to hell and stay there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I waited to really start filling out my Dex until I had a good supply of Quick and Timer balls, and well over 75% of my Alola Dex (and practically all wormhole legendaries) are in one of the two. I didn't really notice some momns being super tough to catch, but it's probably because of how I went about it in the first place. Timer balls only taking 10 turns to get to full power was a real time saver

SOS battles were a neat idea but could absolutely gently caress your poo poo up if you weren't ready. it should have been a tall grass only type sitch. and yeah I really wish you could catch a mon while two were on the field

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCs74cL0Ig

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Violet_Sky posted:

Beldums catch rate is super bad. That was my hardest catch in Moon.

And the only move it knows has recoil!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

awa

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

DP anime update: This Pokemon Summer Academy arc sort of comes out of nowhere (weren't they rushing to get to Celestic Town for a Pokemon Contest the previous episode?), but I like the concept, and it provides the extra episode plots DP's length requires without falling into the standard formula. In general, I like the move towards more slice-of-life-y filler that doesn't revolve around fighting Team Rocket's mechs. (It seems some of the writers liked it too, because apparently Ash and friends going to school is the main plot in Sun and Moon.) Conway's obnoxious nerdiness is surprisingly entertaining; he's what Max will grow up to be if Ralts doesn't steer him in a better direction, heh.

I... I never thought of that in regards to Conway. But yeah, Conway is great in his own somewhat creepy way. Worry not - he will show up again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What?
Furret Walking Meme is evolving!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Funky Valentine posted:

Who the gently caress stans for Lumineon and Finneon.

They are one of my favorites because I love fishies. :(

I am using Shellos in my platinum run and I love my pink nudibuddy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I... I never thought of that in regards to Conway.

Fun fact: In the games, Super Nerds are supposed to be older versions of Schoolboys/male Schoolkids.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I never stumbled upon glitches in gen 1, and I played Blue a lot. I remember we all just played it on emulator back in the day because who the gently caress had a Gameboy in Brazil, huh? (I got one and then it got stolen by someone). Around gen 2 a friend of mine from school actually did some weird poo poo and figured out how to corrupt Pokemon Silver on emulator. I'm still not sure if it was just emulator bullshit or he just so happened to figure out how to break stuff by loading bad data or what, but it was very WTF.

Anyway, 15 years from then he got arrested for stashing guns for a local drug gang.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dias posted:

I never stumbled upon glitches in gen 1, and I played Blue a lot. I remember we all just played it on emulator back in the day because who the gently caress had a Gameboy in Brazil, huh? (I got one and then it got stolen by someone). Around gen 2 a friend of mine from school actually did some weird poo poo and figured out how to corrupt Pokemon Silver on emulator. I'm still not sure if it was just emulator bullshit or he just so happened to figure out how to break stuff by loading bad data or what, but it was very WTF.

Anyway, 15 years from then he got arrested for stashing guns for a local drug gang.

Uh....I used the infinite item Missingno hack from Pokemon red so um...yeah.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember how in second grade everyone knew the arcane way to clone Pokemon in Gold and Silver. Good poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah when I originally had Red back in like 99 one of my friends showed me how to do the item cloning trick (with a bunch of weird superstitions attached). Glitches spread like wildfire around my school.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It seems like within a few months of Red/Blue coming out in America that everyone just knew all the famous tricks.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still remember actually seeing the topic on Gamefaqs where the Mew Glitch actually came to light. It started as the usual sketicism and mocking, until people starting trying it, and going "...oh. Oh poo poo.. THIS IS REAL."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My school was way more into the pokemon pogs. You cant sneak a gameboy into a catholic gradeschool, but buy a bag of ruffles and you can start pogging away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My school was way more into the pokemon pogs. You cant sneak a gameboy into a catholic gradeschool, but buy a bag of ruffles and you can start pogging away.

This is one of the most 90s sentences I've ever read