Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
what the gently caress is a pog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember old rear end yahoo clubs full of pokemon "cheats". One was like if you do this and this bill will let you in his garden to catch Togepis.

Also I remember old websites that were sure you could get Toad and Sonic in Melee. Also my friends and I fell for the Deoxys rocket trick. Late 90s/Early 2000s was a weird time in games. The internet was around but we didn't have dataminers/hackers combing over every piece of footage. Kids today don't even know.:corsair:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember rumors about how to access the grass that's inaccessible off the sides of route 1

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

Collectible circles made of a cardboard like substance that had images on them

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best Gen I 'trick'/'cheat' was the bullshit about getting Dragonite to level 100 and then beating the Elite 4 a certain number of times and then feeding it a Rare Candy and it would evolve into YOSHI. :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaziken386 posted:

90s gacha

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We had to drink a lot of tiny guarana bottles to get pokemon miniatures, that was a thing.

Also I'll never get used to gringos calling tazos pogs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dias posted:

We had to drink a lot of tiny guarana bottles to get pokemon miniatures, that was a thing.

Once bought a ton of dbz stamp packs at the corner storr to trade the plastic packs for a broly poster.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember rumors about how to access the grass that's inaccessible off the sides of route 1

If you do that you die

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dias posted:

Wait what the gently caress, pogs are just Tazos? :psyduck:
How did I never know this, Tazos were loving huge here, and not just Pokemon ones, every major movie had Tazos up I think Harry Potter. I am 100% sure that I have a complete collection of Star Wars Tazos somewhere at my parent's attic. I also remember that someone threw out a full trashbag of Hercules Tazos and some dogs ripped it apart, and the wind carried them all over the neighbourhood. Our parents have heard the rumor that they were laced with drugs and forbade us from picking them up, man the end of the 90s was some poo poo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I once printed out a cheat sheet for Gold that had a rumour that if you get six lvl 100 Pokemon and beat the E4 100 times you will get a call that Professor Oak has died and they invite you to his funeral held in the grass outside Pallet. Or maybe that was somewhere around Goldenrod.
Speaking of Goldenrod, I hum the town theme to lull my baby to sleep. I've also found out that Gen2 Route and Bike Theme are good songs to hum to a child to calm it down. I guess this is what over 120hrs on one game do to you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Countblanc posted:

if anyone insults stantler they're insulting ancient thread watcher and guardian redchocobo, and that is unacceptable
Relatedly, there are a tremendous number of Pokémon that people bring up as weak or forgettable that have been burned into my brain because they've been key parts of his various LP teams.

Blaziken386 posted:

think of trainer school as "the first gym but not really" - it's less "hburr fire is super effective on grass" and more "go fight some easy trainers then a less easy one"

the first island in general is kinda tutorial-y, but after that? eh.
You can also get Magnemite, Grimer-A and Meowth-A in the tall grass there, it's a pretty cool place.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 16, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Magnezone is not great and I don't let my Magnetons ever evolve

Heresy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Today's list of Pokemon who are going to be taken out the back and shot:

- all Incense babies and their families
- ESPECIALLY Sudowoodo and Bonsly. People keep calling Bonsly Bongsly and putting it on Wonder Trade and this is not good for Nintendo's family friendly image. Also no one can agree on how to pronounce Sudowoodo
- Jynx and Porygon because they are naughty as well as all the Nids. People keep complaining about Nids being two separate evolutionary lines and why hasn't this been fixed so all six of them are getting executed for their crimes. Other than this all G1 Pokemon are present. Zubat doubly so
- every fire type starter. No one can complain about too many Fire/Fighting types if Scorbunny's stage 3 is the only one
- Maractus

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 16, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile, confirmed as definitely in the Pokedex:

- Bidoof but NOT Bibarel
- Bruxish
- all the hot chick Pokemon, including Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Delphox. All the hot chick Pokemon who stomp on your balls and call you a pervert (Salazzle, Tsareena, and Pheromosa) are found on Route 1 and are mandatory encounters. Gigantamaxing is also revealed to turn select Pokemon into hot chicks with big boobies (hence Gigantamaxing).

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I hear gigantamax Diggersby hangs dong.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also no one can agree on how to pronounce Sudowoodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzpsqTqPM

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Now link the four different acceptable pronunciations of Arceus

e: obviously the most acceptable is arsey-arse

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Arkayus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3tQvMCOcc

arcane + deus

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

whatever way dr house pronounced arceus is the correct way as far as i'm concerned

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

if zubat is getting cut this will instantly be the best game in the series

imagine walking into a cave without fear of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC54iQHtJew

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

Actually, this is what Rejuvination does :v: It even has a cute little sidequest so you can obtain your own zubat since they're rare in the region.
it's not a good game tho

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Today's list of Pokemon who are going to be taken out the back and shot:

- all Incense babies and their families
- ESPECIALLY Sudowoodo and Bonsly. People keep calling Bonsly Bongsly and putting it on Wonder Trade and this is not good for Nintendo's family friendly image. Also no one can agree on how to pronounce Sudowoodo
- Jynx and Porygon because they are naughty as well as all the Nids. People keep complaining about Nids being two separate evolutionary lines and why hasn't this been fixed so all six of them are getting executed for their crimes. Other than this all G1 Pokemon are present. Zubat doubly so
- every fire type starter. No one can complain about too many Fire/Fighting types if Scorbunny's stage 3 is the only one
- Maractus

Cut Porygon out and I'll cut you up.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Winklebottom posted:

You're in luck! Now every Pokemon you find in a cave will be Woobat. Enjoy your confusion/attract/heart stamp *smooch*

Kikas posted:

Cut Porygon out and I'll cut you up.

Sorry, Porygon must die so that Wooloo's evolution, a big titty shepherd sheep girl, can live :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dias posted:

step the gently caress back boyo, pogs originated in the HI. don't throw shade at an og

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You're in luck! Now every Pokemon you find in a cave will be Woobat. Enjoy your confusion/attract/heart stamp *smooch*

can we just have a moratium on bat pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
all of them are so precious tho

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

less laughter posted:

can they stop hounding me in every cave then

I've yet to meet a cave in a Pokemon game where I didn't dread the bat slog

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Winklebottom posted:

can they stop hounding me in every cave then

I've yet to meet a cave in a Pokemon game where I didn't dread the bat slog

Your wish is granted. Now every cave is filled with Diglett who know Arena Trap and have Dig and Sand Attack.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Your wish is granted. Now every cave is filled with Diglett who know Arena Trap and have Dig and Sand Attack.

fill every cave with concrete, invest in mountain climbing equipment

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is off topic, but, you know, I really wish there was an online poke battle place that wasn't smogon

don't get me wrong, I'm sure the community itself is okay?

but
the battle system moves too fast for me to think, and I feel like a jackass if I take more than a few seconds to pick my next move; and everyone on there's way too fuckin' good for my team composition to stand a chance, which is just me going "hmmm, these two pokemon might work well together?" especially considering I got too used to SM's QoL change of listing what attacks are super effective, and that's derided as "too casul" among most hardcore players.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 16, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

this is off topic, but, you know, I really wish there was an online poke battle place that wasn't smogon

don't get me wrong, I'm sure the community itself is okay?

but
the battle system moves too fast for me to think, and I feel like a jackass if I take more than a few seconds to pick my next move; and everyone on there's way too fuckin' good for my team composition to stand a chance, which is just me going "hmmm, these two pokemon might work well together?" especially considering I got too used to SM's QoL change of listing what attacks are super effective, and that's derided as "too casul" among most hardcore players.

Sounds like you need to get good

I mean, not in a mean way or anything. You just need to be lovely at it long enough before you start understanding the way each meta works. You'll get there.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to break out of the 1100-1200 range on the ladder. My current standing is around 1400-1600 depending on the meta, which still isn't great, but it's better!

And don't worry about taking your time each turn. Even if they turn the battle timer on you'll have more than enough time to decide.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 16, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Winklebottom posted:

your imagination is my reality becuase im not a huge baby

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is there confusion over the pronunciation of Sudowoodo, is someone really saying that last “do” like the word “do” rather than like “dough.”

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wood-o woo-do

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

why does gligar the cutest pokemon in this picture evolve into gilscore the second ugliest pokemon in this picture?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

qnqnx posted:

Heresy.

It'd be a lot better without the awful yellow "hat"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Consider: Wooloobat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

why does gligar the cutest pokemon in this picture evolve into gilscore the second ugliest pokemon in this picture?

Worry not, Gliscor will be among the first purged.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile, confirmed as definitely in the Pokedex:

- Bidoof but NOT Bibarel
- Bruxish
- all the hot chick Pokemon, including Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Delphox. All the hot chick Pokemon who stomp on your balls and call you a pervert (Salazzle, Tsareena, and Pheromosa) are found on Route 1 and are mandatory encounters. Gigantamaxing is also revealed to turn select Pokemon into hot chicks with big boobies (hence Gigantamaxing).

Stop following my Devianart account! I don't take well to this sort of harassment.

Hire me GameFreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
In Pokemon Moon, will I ever get a chance to walk more than ten steps without triggering a custcene? Or is that just how the game is all the way through?