Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A few things to note about this:

1) The link to Sulla's Solo Beastmaster Run is outdated. The correct URL is now http://www.sullla.com/FF/beastmaster.html
2) The Ocean Floor Map is long gone, because Photobucket is garbage. Fortunatly, I was able to find a copy via Google, and I've uploaded it to LPix
3) The same thing applies for the image breaking down NED's parts, also now on LPix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kheldarn posted:

2) The Ocean Floor Map is long gone, because Photobucket is garbage. Fortunatly, I was able to find a copy via Google, and I've uploaded it to LPix

See that part in the bottom left that's a different color from everything else? If you want to fill out your bestiary, you have to sail around that particular indistinguishable 16 x 16 block of ocean for a while. Take even one step out of it and you're wasting your time.

Don't try to fill out your bestiary is what I'm saying.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kheldarn posted:

3) The same thing applies for the image breaking down NED's parts, also now on LPix

I'd rather it be gone so I could make a better version, mostly because I want to use Loon's nicknames for the parts.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The map and NED guide have been on Discord this whole time too, and presumably IRC before. That said, I'd definitely be down for a newer, shinier NED guide.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

and presumably IRC before

That's when I made it! :buddy:

There were a lot of questions about which part of NED did what, which was open to Petrify and which could be Odined, etc. etc. so I solved the issue.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Monk and Dancer is hilarious at high levels.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

See that part in the bottom left that's a different color from everything else? If you want to fill out your bestiary, you have to sail around that particular indistinguishable 16 x 16 block of ocean for a while. Take even one step out of it and you're wasting your time.

Don't try to fill out your bestiary is what I'm saying.

Alternately do it exactly once as a reference document off-season of the Fiesta, and then never delete or overwrite that save.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A reminder that The Run will stream in less than an hour.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE RUN IS LIVE :siren:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

And already the first wipe.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've tuned in a couple of times and every single one of them Dragondarch is trying to catch bearaga. Never change.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We have now entered the Grindening portion of the race.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Interestingly enough, DD has opted out of grinding Prototypes, so he'll be ahead in terms of progression, but behind in levels and ABP compared to the other three. Remains to be seen if that strategy works out.

Also second wipe of the run, I believe, but an inconsequential one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Interestingly enough, DD has opted out of grinding Prototypes, so he'll be ahead in terms of progression, but behind in levels and ABP compared to the other three. Remains to be seen if that strategy works out.

It's DDarch, so we can guess. Did he at least get to sleep this time?

E: he's grinding Ghidra? This is basically playing rocket tag isn't it?

E2: I jinxed it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 16, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bruceski posted:

It's DDarch, so we can guess. Did he at least get to sleep this time?

E: he's grinding Ghidra? This is basically playing rocket tag isn't it?

His lower level strategy paid off last year or the year before IIRC

Okay so they are 3:45:00 in on the run so far. ElMagus just estimated the runs will last about 10-12 hours before the first racer finishes, and put RK on the spot a little to start the fiesta after the first finish instead of all four.

At the five hour mark the runners will also be taking a 30 minute food break.

So we will see when this actually kicks off but there's more info

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inspired by stream chatter

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Break started now

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mp5 posted:

put RK on the spot a little to start the fiesta after the first finish instead of all four.

Bwuh?!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FFV 4JF 2019: The Two Bears were Calculated, but man, am I bad at axe

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Magus was just joking, he knows everyone is just antsy to get their jobs and start

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
lmao the 'payoff' for that megaflare

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I drop in here every year and say I'm going to finally finish a fiesta but this is the year I'm going to say I'm starting and never finishing :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Did Jenja wipe at some point? He was 2nd place in W1 and now seems a fair bit behind everyone else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He struggled on Sol Cannon for awhile, he was so high level Surge Beam was outpacing Cura.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
FIFTH JOB?!?

It's Bard.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Sage Grimm posted:

FIFTH JOB?!?

It's Bard.

Those madmen.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Goddamn it DragoonDarch.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I mean, they did this exact same job setup like two Fiestas ago for the Run (White Mage/Berserker/Beast Master/Dragoon), so this year they secretly decided to change it up to keep it interesting.

And you gotta admit, it's a great twist. Especially given that they dropped Dragoon for Bard.

:getin:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Well, so much for DD looking competent this year. He was clearly saving his magic for the crystals.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I can't get over DD selling the Hypno Crown. Also letting the Aegis Shield burn. Again.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For those who aren't watching, our favorite galaxybrain DragonDarch has, in the past 30minutes or so:

Sold the Hypnocrown (with Beastmaster as one of his jobs)
Let the Aegis Shield burn
solo ground Faris after the forest burnt but before the Crystals fight to 24 because dragoon has the highest speed and this will somehow be the secret strategy for the crystal fight?!?
e: did not put death sickle on his zerker for the crystals fight
because
his strategy is/was to have the whole party put the fire crystal into berserk mode (so it firagas forever) and let the flame shield + bone mail dragoon faris... solo the everything else much slower?

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 16, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Archenteron posted:

For those who aren't watching, our favorite galaxybrain DragonDarch has, in the past 30minutes or so:

Sold the Hypnocrown (with Beastmaster as one of his jobs)
Let the Aegis Shield burn
solo ground Faris after the forest burnt but before the Crystals fight to 24 because dragoon has the highest speed and this will somehow be the secret strategy for the crystal fight?!?
e: did not put death sickle on his zerker for the crystals fight
because
his strategy is/was to have the whole party put the fire crystal into berserk mode (so it firagas forever) and let the flame shield + bone mail dragoon faris... solo the everything else much slower?

Have any of those been followed by an "oops"? At all?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So he finally explained his strategy and it's certainly one that works "safely" but in the interest of a speedrun it's a dumb move.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure DD didn't grind for Death Sickles. The only thing I don't understand is selling the Hypno Crown, everything else makes sense with his strategy.

Edit: Actually, even selling the Crown makes sense assuming he doesn't bother getting any catches besides Yellow Dragons (for whom it's obviously pointless).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2019

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bruceski posted:

Have any of those been followed by an "oops"? At all?

Faris wiped once during the grind forcing a reset of that, and also apparently L24 Faris can survive everything except if the wind crystal rolls max damage aeroga twice in a row before the fire crystal goes off (which is possible and also firaga isnt a full heal)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

DD does the flame shield thing every time, so at least his :psyduck: is consistent

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It took him nearly 15 minutes to beat the Crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, but the upside is that he didn't spend any time getting Death Sickles or catching Sandcrawlers. I don't know if it was worth it since Yaga's clearly ahead, but then Yaga was ahead all game due to slight optimisations and better menuing.

oldskool posted:

DD does the flame shield thing every time, so at least his :psyduck: is consistent

What does the Aegis Shield get you in this run though? Magic attacks aren't a problem once you have Bard and White Mage, and your only shield bearer is going to be Berserker anyway.