Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Does NASA losing a tool bag during a spacewalk count as an OSHA violation?

https://youtu.be/1vXdRUIZ_EM

No, that's accounting's problem.

FINDING a tool bag during a spacewalk, that's OSHA right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

evobatman posted:

Considering the cost of getting stuff into space, that's probably a few hundred thousands of dollars in wrenches floating away.

It was $100,000.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

CannonFodder posted:

No. It does not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CannonFodder posted:

Well they're technically debris now so I'm going to say yes

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Orbital Space & Homosphere Administration

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Serephina posted:

How the hell is nobody commenting on how they bump and grind the bike along its bodywork, damaging literally every factory-new bike in the unloading?

They are Chinese scooters, this did not effect the number of weeks they'll be 100% operational.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So... tired... Think I'll just have a lie-down on this car right here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jet Jaguar posted:

So... tired... Think I'll just have a lie-down on this car right here.

A cat nap, if you will

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Bad Munki posted:

A cat nap, if you will

I thought cats land on their feet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bad Munki posted:

A cat nap, if you will

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48648769

quote:

Seven people have died whilst cleaning a hotel sewer in western India, according to local police.

The four sanitation workers and three staff at Darshsan Hotel fell unconscious and died on Friday night after inhaling toxic fumes.

Their bodies have been recovered in the village of Fartikui, and the hotel owner has been charged over the deaths.

quote:

the village of Fartikui

quote:

Fartikui

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

toplitzin posted:

I thought cats land on their feet.
he though you said fiat

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I used to have a cat that would lay on top of my car, too.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Dagen H posted:

Orbital Space & Homosphere Administration

Sign me the gently caress up :pervert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Were they rationing space bars in 2009 or something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Were they rationing space bars in 2009 or something?

The cost of shipping anything into space is ridiculously inflated due to the cost of fuel and other expenses, including developing tools that can be used in microgravity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Something about the plate being mounted on the cargo suggests this is a regular occurance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chitoryu12 posted:

The cost of shipping anything into space is ridiculously inflated due to the cost of fuel and other expenses, including developing tools that can be used in microgravity.

I have to assume that article was written on Earth though.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

For what it's worth, fuel is by far the cheapest part of spaceflight. Most liquid rocket fuel is either liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, or refined kerosene (RP-1) and liquid oxygen. Propellants for in-space use tend to be mostly hydrazine or various derivatives, which aside from being fairly toxic aren't that expensive.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Luneshot posted:

For what it's worth, fuel is by far the cheapest part of spaceflight. Most liquid rocket fuel is either liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, or refined kerosene (RP-1) and liquid oxygen. Propellants for in-space use tend to be mostly hydrazine or various derivatives, which aside from being fairly toxic aren't that expensive.

This is true, but it takes a little over 9 times an object's weight in fuel to get it into orbit, and in extremely favorable conditions, 11 times the weight to get to the moon.

The problem isn't cost, it's quantity.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

CannonFodder posted:

Why was that not tethered?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Plastik posted:

This is true, but it takes a little over 9 times an object's weight in fuel to get it into orbit, and in extremely favorable conditions, 11 times the weight to get to the moon.

Even in quantity, it's still the cheapest part of spaceflight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plastik posted:

pfft so you're saying a 1-pound wrench takes only 1.5 gallons of fuel to get into space? i could afford that with pocket change!

something doesn't add up here

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
It's not just the fuel, it's the cost of the rocket too. They were single use until very recently.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 16, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

blow up the earth, everything is in space for free.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somewhere Fred Dibnah is shaking his head sadly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Confined spaces are dangerous. One person is incapacitated, someone goes to help them, is incapacitated, 20 GOTO 10

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GotLag posted:

Confined spaces are dangerous. One person is incapacitated, someone goes to help them, is incapacitated, 20 GOTO 10

Yeah, in the oilfield if you work in tanks you need specific fined space training.

Everybody gets H2S training for the same reason. It kills your sense of smell and can knock you the gently caress down in a hurry.

If you're on a sour site(meaning H2S could be present) and you see someone go down, you yell "man down" and run the gently caress away because if you run toward him there are now 2 men down. Everybody in the oilfield has to be clean shaven, because everyone at some point could be required to put on a respirator and go drag someone away from the gas. Everyone on a sour site has a personal monitor to detect gasses so it shouldn't happen, but like i said, H2S can gently caress you up in a hurry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide#Toxicity

quote:

0.00047 ppm or 0.47 ppb is the odor threshold, the point at which 50% of a human panel can detect the presence of an odor without being able to identify it.[43]
10 ppm is the OSHA permissible exposure limit (PEL) (8 hour time-weighted average).[25]
10–20 ppm is the borderline concentration for eye irritation.
20 ppm is the acceptable ceiling concentration established by OSHA.[25]
50 ppm is the acceptable maximum peak above the ceiling concentration for an 8-hour shift, with a maximum duration of 10 minutes.[25]
50–100 ppm leads to eye damage.
At 100–150 ppm the olfactory nerve is paralyzed after a few inhalations, and the sense of smell disappears, often together with awareness of danger.[44][45]
320–530 ppm leads to pulmonary edema with the possibility of death.[35]
530–1000 ppm causes strong stimulation of the central nervous system and rapid breathing, leading to loss of breathing.
800 ppm is the lethal concentration for 50% of humans for 5 minutes' exposure (LC50).
Concentrations over 1000 ppm cause immediate collapse with loss of breathing, even after inhalation of a single breath.

It's also extremely flammable, basically eats iron. Is heavier than air so it pools in low areas, and disolves in water like C02 in a soda so stepping in a mud puddle on a sour location with a slow leak could release enough to knock you flat on your rear end.

H2S ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

blow up the earth, everything is in space for free.

I’m in space right now.

I’m just not in outer space.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here's another example:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/poisonous-gas-detected-in-water-tank-where-three-bodies-found/8279576

A man was cleaning out a below-ground tank, using a petrol generator placed just outside the entrance. He was overcome, his brother entered to rescue him, was also overcome. His wife then tried to rescue both of the men, and in turn also lost consciousness. A neighbour heard the woman's cries and called emergency services, by the time they arrived all three were dead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, in the oilfield if you work in tanks you need specific fined space training.

Everybody gets H2S training for the same reason. It kills your sense of smell and can knock you the gently caress down in a hurry.

If you're on a sour site(meaning H2S could be present) and you see someone go down, you yell "man down" and run the gently caress away because if you run toward him there are now 2 men down. Everybody in the oilfield has to be clean shaven, because everyone at some point could be required to put on a respirator and go drag someone away from the gas. Everyone on a sour site has a personal monitor to detect gasses so it shouldn't happen, but like i said, H2S can gently caress you up in a hurry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide#Toxicity

It's also extremely flammable, basically eats iron. Is heavier than air so it pools in low areas, and disolves in water like C02 in a soda so stepping in a mud puddle on a sour location with a slow leak could release enough to knock you flat on your rear end.

H2S ain't nothin to gently caress with.

I have to ask, if you're working in a location where that could be a danger, why wouldn't everyone just slap on the respirator to start with and not take it off until the work was done? I mean, there's probably a reason why, but that would seem like the safest solution.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm more of a sour diesel guy myself

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to ask, if you're working in a location where that could be a danger, why wouldn't everyone just slap on the respirator to start with and not take it off until the work was done? I mean, there's probably a reason why, but that would seem like the safest solution.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PurpleXVI posted:

Have you ever worn a respirator or gas mask? It's like having your own personal sauna wrapped around your face and every breath you take you have to suck through the filter. Every job you do while wearing one is harder and takes longer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

On locations with constant levels over 10ppm they do, Everybody is tethered to a breathing air trailer, with a small tank on their hip with enough air to get them the gently caress out if the air supply stops.

It's incredibly expensive and a huge pain in the rear end for everyone involved. The lines get caught on everything, you have to leave every structure the way you came in.

Most locations will just require no solo work, 4 head gas monitor on every person, and SCBAs at the muster points.

spankmeister posted:

I'm more of a sour diesel guy myself

Brain damage is brain damage, i guess :shrug:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powershift posted:

If you're on a sour site(meaning H2S could be present) and you see someone go down, you yell "man down" and run the gently caress away because if you run toward him there are now 2 men down

I used to work on a site with huge, industrial ammonia-based cooling systems.

The training was 'this is safe, you don't need to do anything different from the usual industrial safety.

Just be aware that in the extremely unlikely event of a major leak, a cloud of ammonia the size of the entire site will be released. The wind direction that day will determine which of the surrounding villages/towns will have to be evacuated. So, always be aware what direction the wind is blowing so you know what direction to run and you'll be okay'

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Because you need to either know what gas to expect (so you select an appropriate cartridge for your facepiece) or use an air supply. Both of these are logistically intensive so people skimp and die.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
But as an added bonus, you get a wicked deep Barry White voice when you inhale it, so your final moments are at least kinda funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

Because you need to either know what gas to expect (so you select an appropriate cartridge for your facepiece) or use an air supply. Both of these are logistically intensive so people skimp and die.

All of the mine and oil sites I've been to had a statement somewhere in the safety induction to the effect of "If you need a cartridge, we'll supply it. If you bring ANY cartridge on-site, you will be fired instantly, even if it's the correct cartridge for your particular job." The risk of having any cartridges around that were not specifically for the job and permit of that specific day and job and people was too great. You could also get insta-fired for seeing a cartridge and not immediately reporting it to your supervisor.

A can of beer would get you in trouble, but not instantly fired (unless it was wedging down the throttle on a forklift or something), because nobody is going to screw the wrong brand of beer onto their mask and then die choking on their own bloody vomit.